View Full Version : Best Donut Shop?

Plutonic Panda
03-05-2014, 10:37 AM
Does anyone know what the best donut shop is in OKC?

trousers
03-05-2014, 10:39 AM
I actually use Best Donuts on 23rd across from Shepherd Mall

Dustin
03-05-2014, 11:44 AM
Polar donuts on N Meridian is really good. They are internet famous for their "pimp hands" donuts

Garin
03-05-2014, 08:27 PM
Gerald's on south penn and 59 if you get there early are hard to beat. The full cup that was up in Edmond used to have the best IMO then something happened and they closed.

betts
03-05-2014, 09:51 PM
The cinnamon sour cream old-fashioned at Best doughnuts is hard to beat. The rest are pretty much like everyone else's, IMO. Not bad, just not special. Brown's has good doughnuts but they are not pretty. If you're into major sweet, try a cronut at Kitchen 324. They're pretty delicious, but insanely rich.

gjl
03-05-2014, 11:08 PM
I actually use Best Donuts on 23rd across from Shepherd Mall

How could this not be the best donut shop. I mean it is after all Best Donuts. :)

HangryHippo
03-07-2014, 07:56 AM
They're long gone, but Winchell's was the best.

Wild Bill's Donuts sells a cake donut with sugar that is so simple but tastes delicious!

RadicalModerate
03-07-2014, 08:15 AM
Does anyone know what the best donut shop is in OKC?

Before my eating plan eliminated donuts from the equation, I was partial to the Daylight Donuts shop at the corner of Penn and Hefner. But since I never tasted the ones from the shop next to the Auto Zone at Hefner and Western or the ones from that place on Britton Road (that used to be a BBQ spot) not far from the Westlake Hardware Store, I can't say with authority and complete confidence that my former Daylight Donuts place is, in reality, "The Best" . . . (and furthermore =) . . .

warreng88
03-07-2014, 08:24 AM
Brown's has amazing donuts. I was always a fan of Donut King in Norman too, but that's Norman.

foodiefan
03-07-2014, 08:28 AM
Polar Donuts at 10th and Meridian. Apple and Peach fritters are to die for. . .and while you wait for your order to be boxed, they offer you a"hot, fresh, glazed".. . .yummmmm!!

rezman
03-07-2014, 09:22 AM
They're long gone, but Winchell's was the best. I never ate anything from a Winchell's after that baker at the store in The Village got caught adding a "special ingredient" into the dough.

SouthSide
03-07-2014, 05:42 PM
IMO, Gerald's on S. Penn.

HangryHippo
03-07-2014, 09:07 PM
I never ate anything from a Winchell's after that baker at the store in The Village got caught adding a "special ingredient" into the dough.

I didn't know there was one in the Village, but that's disgusting. I only ate at the one on the south side and the one in Del City. And they were the most delicious donuts ever.

GoOKC1991
03-07-2014, 10:18 PM
I never ate anything from a Winchell's after that baker at the store in The Village got caught adding a "special ingredient" into the dough.

Just like I will never eat at Dunkin Donuts after seeing an employee icing the donuts with her finger

heyerdahl
03-08-2014, 07:15 AM
Daily Donut. Hands down. It's on Hefner and Western. I drive all the way out there from downtown because it's so good.

They have a different specialty donut every day. I like the maple donut with bacon- I believe they are on Mondays. They have really good sausage rolls too. I haven't tried the creme brulee donut yet, but it looks amazing.

Images from their twitter page.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BfKLnPKCQAAh8P4.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BeqljzxCQAEbQvX.jpg

GaryOKC6
03-08-2014, 07:28 AM
Ask the FOP. I am sure that they will have the most accurate and up to date information on this.

soonermike81
03-10-2014, 12:17 PM
Ask the FOP. I am sure that they will have the most accurate and up to date information on this.

What's FOP??

Lafferty Daniel
03-10-2014, 12:28 PM
What-a-donut at 122nd and MacArthur

LakeEffect
03-10-2014, 01:40 PM
What's FOP??

Fraternal Order of Police.

HangryHippo
03-10-2014, 01:41 PM
What's FOP??

Fraternal Order of Police or something like that.

rezman
03-10-2014, 02:30 PM
I didn't know there was one in the Village, but that's disgusting. I only ate at the one on the south side and the one in Del City. And they were the most delicious donuts ever.

It's been years since I've had a Winchell's and as I recall, yes they were pretty good.

The store that was in The Village was on May Ave. just south of Hefner on the west side of May.

rezman
03-10-2014, 02:35 PM
Just like I will never eat at Dunkin Donuts after seeing an employee icing the donuts with her finger

Yep,.. That would turn me away as well.

kevinpate
03-10-2014, 03:00 PM
seeing an employee icing the donuts with her finger

or so one hopes.

Clarktms
03-10-2014, 03:32 PM
The Daily Donut on Hefner and Western. Gotta love the red velvet donuts!

Joe Kimball
03-12-2014, 12:14 AM
As with most matters of taste, I take the position that there is no "best" as such. As something of a connoisseur, I do have a few favorites, stores that are currently in business, and each one does something the other does not:

Brown's: They do that one cinnamon-type donut that is so thick. I've actually made a run for them, literally, across the circle from McNellie's. I brought some back to my friends were waiting on our food to come out, because I was talking about them and we got excited.

What-A-Donut: They're not afraid to experiment, and I've been told by the proprietor that she could reserve some Boston cremes (or whatever else) for me if I called the night before, as they tend to go quickly. My church gets donuts from there on Sundays.

Dunkin Donuts, especially the 36th and May location: I love their recipes. The finger thing is regrettable; I doubt that this procedure is in their manual for all locations. Did you complain?

Krispy Kreme: Again I like the recipes, and I stay away from the "kreme", which is easy to confuse with the Bavarian-type creme when ordering. They're almost useless to me, though, if more than two hours old.

7-Eleven: Yes, I can hear the cries of protest over this wind that is wailing away, but I stand firm. There is something I love about their jelly doughnuts, and their apple fritters are among my favorite.

Plutonic Panda
03-12-2014, 01:42 AM
Before my eating plan eliminated donuts from the equation, I was partial to the Daylight Donuts shop at the corner of Penn and Hefner. But since I never tasted the ones from the shop next to the Auto Zone at Hefner and Western or the ones from that place on Britton Road (that used to be a BBQ spot) not far from the Westlake Hardware Store, I can't say with authority and complete confidence that my former Daylight Donuts place is, in reality, "The Best" . . . (and furthermore =) . . .feed your soul my friend, not your body ;)

Unless you're worried about that diabeetus.... then feed your body. You've made Wilford Brimley proud man! You just gave one more punch to the balls of diabeetus.

http://newsimg.ngfiles.com/42000/42137_diabeetus.jpg

BBatesokc
03-12-2014, 06:27 AM
Not in OKC, but we drive all the way to Guthrie every couple of months to get donuts and fried cinnamon rolls at Missy's Doughnuts and Bakery (http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/46/1516500/restaurant/Oklahoma-City/Missys-Doughnuts-Bakery-Guthrie).

We go closer to lunch so we can eat lunch there (best sandwiches and enchilada soup I've ever had) and then snack on doughnuts throughout the day!

Neighbors always have us bring them back a box.

ereid
03-12-2014, 07:32 AM
It's worth a drive to Norman to go to Gourmet Donuts in Norman (on Porter). They always throw in a bunch of donut holes, too. Don't miss out on their mini cinnamon rolls!

Plutonic Panda
03-12-2014, 08:30 PM
Not in OKC, but we drive all the way to Guthrie every couple of months to get donuts and fried cinnamon rolls at Missy's Doughnuts and Bakery (http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/46/1516500/restaurant/Oklahoma-City/Missys-Doughnuts-Bakery-Guthrie).

We go closer to lunch so we can eat lunch there (best sandwiches and enchilada soup I've ever had) and then snack on doughnuts throughout the day!

Neighbors always have us bring them back a box.You know, I have heard of that place somewhere. I really need to go check it out. I might do that tomorrow.

Stew
04-12-2014, 08:39 AM

Neighbors always have us bring them back a box.

Holy cow you ain't kidding. I was out near Guthrie this morning and decided to give Missy's a go. First of all the place was packed which is always a good sign. I got an apple fritter which was still very warm. It was amazing. One of the best things I've put in my mouth in awhile. When I finished eating it I felt like lighting up a smoke and I don't even smoke. Roll over and go to sleep.

Aside from the orgasmic fritter the staff was beyond friendly and hospitable. I could not be more impressed. This is a must try joint.

Prunepicker
04-15-2014, 10:46 PM
I like Gerald's Donuts on N Penn about 1/2 block north of SW 59th and on
the west side of the street. Been a fan since forever.

Another good donut shop is on NW 39th Expressway just west of N
Council and on the south side. It's about 300 yards west. I think it's
called Route 66 Donuts. The couple who own the shop are Vietnamese
and are really cool people. They've got the donut thing down.