View Full Version : 1 in 5 Americans think Blu-Ray is a sea creature: study

Achilleslastand
03-05-2014, 10:31 AM
1 in 5 Americans think Blu-Ray is a sea creature: study | New York Post (http://nypost.com/2014/03/05/1-in-5-americans-think-blu-ray-is-a-sea-creature-study/)

Maybe think twice the next time you try to talk tech.

A study has found that one in five Americans think that a Blu-ray is a sea animal, and one in 10 think the coding language to build websites, HTML, is a type of sexually transmitted infection.

The study was conducted by Vouchercloud.net, a coupons website looking to see how well its users know their tech jargon.

A spokeswoman for the company told the LA Times: “It seems that quite a few of us need to brush up on our tech definitions.”

On top of the hilarity of the HTML and Blu-ray confusions, there were a few more humorous findings.

— Nearly half thought that a “motherboard” was “the deck of a cruise ship,” not the main circuit board of a computer.

— A quarter thought that the measurement unit “gigabyte” was an insect commonly found in South America.

— Nearly a quarter believed that the audio format “MP3” was a “Star Wars” robot.

— 15 percent thought that a computer program, or “software,” was what you call comfortable clothing.

— 12 percent answered that “USB” is an acronym for a European country — not a connection port on your computer.

Ironically, 61 percent of those surveyed believed that having good tech knowledge was extremely important.

LOL@ "Nearly half thought that a “motherboard” was “the deck of a cruise ship,” not the main circuit board of a computer".

kelroy55
03-05-2014, 10:35 AM
Doesn't surprise me a bit...

Quarter of Americans Convinced Sun Revolves Around Earth, Survey Finds - ABC News (http://abcnews.go.com/US/quarter-americans-convinced-sun-revolves-earth-survey-finds/story?id=22542847)

RadicalModerate
03-05-2014, 10:39 AM
I wonder what Steve Irwin would think of all this . . .
(is it too soon . . ?)

(p.s.: a significant percentage of americans think Obama is a good president. =)

(i keed . . . i keed . . . well, sorta)

bchris02
03-05-2014, 10:49 AM
Doesn't surprise me at all. Being in the IT industry, I deal with people all the time that it takes major explaining and handholding just for them to type in a web address. Computers are a foreign concept for so many people despite the fact they use them every day.

cagoklahoma
03-05-2014, 10:54 AM
Doesn't surprise me a bit...

Quarter of Americans Convinced Sun Revolves Around Earth, Survey Finds - ABC News (http://abcnews.go.com/US/quarter-americans-convinced-sun-revolves-earth-survey-finds/story?id=22542847)

And the other three quarters convinced the universe revolves around them.

Servicetech571
03-08-2014, 07:14 AM
Doesn't surprise me one bit. I can't tell you how many customers I had to show how to switch the TV to "Video 1" to play a DVD !!

traxx
03-08-2014, 08:05 AM
Doesn't surprise me at all. Being in the IT industry, I deal with people all the time that it takes major explaining and handholding just for them to type in a web address. Computers are a foreign concept for so many people despite the fact they use them every day.

Since you're in IT maybe you can help me. The cup holder on my Packard Bell is broken.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

OKCisOK4me
03-10-2014, 10:08 AM
Morons...

RadicalModerate
03-10-2014, 10:17 AM

Why is this thing called a "computer"?
I just tried using it to calculate the value of Pie and it gave me an endless decimal stream.
Go figure.

Garin
03-10-2014, 10:20 AM
I thought liberals were smarter than this.

OKCisOK4me
03-10-2014, 10:20 AM
I can't help but wonder if the people taking the quiz skewed the answers by just saying "oh that's funny, I'm gonna answer that". Kinda hard to control the variables.

RadicalModerate
03-10-2014, 10:22 AM
I can't help but wonder if the people taking the quiz skewed the answers by just saying "oh that's funny, I'm gonna answer that". Kinda hard to control the variables.

Can variables actually be controlled?
If so, would they still be variables?

RadicalModerate
03-10-2014, 11:05 AM
I thought liberals were smarter than this.

Define "liberals" . . . Pard . . . ("amigo", "compadre", etc.) =)
SKkMkodo4MI

(note that SpelChek don't recognize "compadre"
as a official word wifout puttin' a red squiggle under it. =)

OKCisOK4me
03-10-2014, 11:12 AM
Can variables actually be controlled?
If so, would they still be variables?

I thought they could...if I remember correctly from 6th & 8th grade science fairs.

RadicalModerate
03-10-2014, 11:20 AM
I thought they could...if I remember correctly from 6th & 8th grade science fairs.

I read this after my "Science Fair" phase, and before the edition pictured (below) arrived on the scene.
With all of the "Cosmos Consciousness" being re-run on TV it could help to clarify the thought process. =)
http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1347723119l/567189.jpg

Note that the dude who wrote this was the President of San Francisco State University, back in the day, and got all up in Angela Davis' face and whatnot, plus was a beret wearing "oriental" specimen, so everything he proposes between the covers of that volume has to be taken with a grain of salt . . . and light. Or at least a little Soy Sauce balanced with Mirin. =)