View Full Version : A lesson learned

kelroy55
03-03-2014, 03:33 PM
I was on my way home from work and an ambulance followed by a FD supervisor shot past me followed soon by a police car and firetruck. I thought great some idiot caused an accident and traffic will be backed up. A minute or two later I realized I was right and all 4 lanes of the interstate were backed up. While I sat in traffic gripping about it taking me so long to get home I finally made my way up to the accident site. I didn't see any mangled cars but I soon saw a body that was covered up in the middle of the interstate and about 50 yards further down was a pickup with some front end damage. As I went past the truck I could see what was left of a bicycle imbedded into the front. I was so aggravated that it was going to take me an extra 30 minutes to get home I didn't think somebody may have been hurt. My thoughts and prayers to who ever it was that got killed and I'm ashamed of myself for being more upset about being 30 minutes late getting home than wishing nobody was hurt. I won't be doing that again.

bradh
03-03-2014, 04:40 PM
who was riding a bike on the interstate? that sucks...

okseer
03-03-2014, 05:20 PM
Isn't is illegal to ride a bike on the interstate?

RadicalModerate
03-03-2014, 05:23 PM
Before we get too off-track about the "causes" of the accident, let's take a moment to express appreciation to the OP for having one of those paradigm shifts regarding what is really important (that some call repentance or a "renewing of the mind") and for taking the time to share it with us. Thank you, Kelroy.

kelroy55
03-03-2014, 06:25 PM
I should add my thoughts and prayers are with the driver of the pickup.

Bicyclist Struck, Killed Crossing I-20 in Arlington | NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth (http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Bicyclist-Struck-Killed-Crossing-I-20-in-Arlington-248257211.html)

Mel
03-03-2014, 06:33 PM
It's moments like this that make us appreciate what is really important. My thoughts and prayers to the family of the victim and he driver. I never want to be "that driver". It will haunt him the rest of his days.

boscorama
03-03-2014, 07:24 PM
Avoid road rage.

Mel
03-03-2014, 07:28 PM
He was crossing I-20. The driver was as much if not more the victim.

boscorama
03-03-2014, 09:41 PM
Really!

Mel
03-03-2014, 10:23 PM
I would be freaked out the rest of my life if I ever hit someone with my car. Most times you don't expect a bicycle on the Interstate.

Of Sound Mind
03-04-2014, 06:56 AM
Avoid road rage.
How is this relevant or helpful in this particular instance?

RadicalModerate
03-04-2014, 10:24 PM

It ("road rage") is 'relevant' on account of a failure to pay full and complete attention to the operation of a motor vehicle on a public highway (on account of being angry) is the cause of more traffic deaths than all of the failures to observe and respect a bicyclist, perhaps attempting to push their only mode of transportation across a weather modified roadway . . . combined.

And it beats the failure to wear seatbelts hands down.

(and, on the selfish side, "road rage" tends to take one's blood pressure to unacceptable levels)

My intention here was only to be helpful.
Sorry: "to be only helpful."

boscorama
03-07-2014, 06:53 PM
OMG, you're right! My bad.