View Full Version : Another shooting in bricktown

OKCretro
03-01-2014, 10:33 PM
The crowd in bricktown is getting rougher and rougher

ljbab728
03-01-2014, 10:38 PM

That's a silly comment based on that incident. We, unfortunately, have shootings in all areas of OKC at times. Is all of OKC getting rougher and rougher? What is your basis for thinking that other than this?

RadicalModerate
03-01-2014, 10:49 PM

Sumbitch . . . I recon i should be outraged . . . yet whuchu gonna do?
Perhaps opt for the Plaza District? Maybe MidTown?

I hear tell that there is a potential, soon to be, "SafeZone" atop Founder's Tower . . . ?
(out there on the edge of an expressway to sprawl)

ljbab728
03-01-2014, 11:02 PM
Sumbitch . . . I recon i should be outraged . . . yet whuchu gonna do?
Perhaps opt for the Plaza District? Maybe MidTown?

I hear tell that there is a potential, soon to be, "SafeZone" atop Founder's Tower . . . ?
(out there on the edge of an expressway to sprawl)

RM, that parking lot you have to traverse to get to the top of Founder's Tower is pretty sketchy, so watch out for that.

RadicalModerate
03-01-2014, 11:14 PM
RM, that parking lot you have to traverse to get to the top of Founder's Tower is pretty sketchy, so watch out for that.

So where is my Pastoral, New, Improved BRAUMs location, within easy walking distance . . . eh?
=)

(since you seem to be so concerned with my "safety" . . . or is it a more of a "sagacity" deal? =)
(perhaps akin to paradigms, perspectives and practicality?)

(simply bantering, amigo . . . that's all.)

Achilleslastand
03-01-2014, 11:30 PM

Do we get a description of the perps or do we need to call this man......

ljbab728
03-01-2014, 11:40 PM
So where is my Pastoral, New, Improved BRAUMs location, within easy walking distance . . . eh?
=)

(since you seem to be so concerned with my "safety" . . . or is it a more of a "sagacity" deal? =)
(perhaps akin to paradigms, perspectives and practicality?)

(simply bantering, amigo . . . that's all.)

Well, be careful at Braums too. According to the person in the know in the Braums thread they are definitely on the decline.

RadicalModerate
03-01-2014, 11:45 PM
I look forward to the day . . .
When whether it be Nick or Mick is the mayor . . .
The scenes in Bricktown . . .
Will look more like this . . .
Than the reported "rough--and getting rougher--
Crowds gathering there . . .
This very day . . .

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/5/52/Flower_Power_by_Bernie_Boston.jpg/450px-Flower_Power_by_Bernie_Boston.jpg

Chadanth
03-02-2014, 12:01 AM

It's a pretty isolated incident. I don't go down there much after midnight, but that's age-related and not because it's unsafe. I've never had a problem.

betts
03-02-2014, 12:15 AM
When liquor and guns are in the same location, there will occasionally be a problem. Maybe it's our gun laws, not our police numbers that are part of the problem here. (Ducking).

pw405
03-02-2014, 12:37 AM
The news said this happened at club Social? Never heard of it... What did it used to be?

hoya
03-02-2014, 06:55 AM
There's a certain crowd that are going to cause trouble wherever they go.

Prunepicker
03-02-2014, 04:51 PM
I'm just wondering. Who was the legal gun owner who committed the
crime? We'd all like to know.

Prunepicker
03-02-2014, 04:52 PM
The news said this happened at club Social? Never heard of it... What did it
used to be?
Is Club Social located in Bricktown? I don't know.

Chadanth
03-02-2014, 04:56 PM
Is Club Social located in Bricktown? I don't know.

Yes,it's on Sheridan. And as far as I know, they haven't identified the shooter, and no one knows he was a "legal gun owner" or not.

Garin
03-02-2014, 04:59 PM
Yes,it's on Sheridan. And as far as I know, they haven't identified the shooter, and no one knows he was a "legal gun owner" or not.

What's the over/under

Stan Silliman
03-03-2014, 11:43 AM
It's a shame about the shooting.

I used to perform in Bricktown. Always like the concept of naming a place after what it was made of.
That didn't apply whenever I was living in the Panhandle, halfway between the towns of Hooker and Beaver.

Anyway, when I was in Bricktown, I remember thinking about my theory that your surname could influence your profession.
For instance, someone named Baker might be good in a cupcake shop, Miller at a mill, or Winnemaker with a vinyard.

And the theory rang somewhat true in Bricktown, except the professions were one name off.

At the comedy club, the owners name was Bynum... which, when punned, might be a good name for someone in the bookbinding business.
However, the person in the binding business was named Singer, which would have been good if you owned a karaoke bar.
However, the person who owned the karaoke bar was named Brewer, which would have been great if you owned the Bricktown Brewery.
However, the person who ran the Bricktown Brewery was named... Jester, which would have been great if you owned a comedy club.

Chadanth
03-03-2014, 12:42 PM
What's the over/under

Define the criteria. Did the shooter buy the gun legally? Was the shooter a prior convicted felon? He supposedly went and got the gun from his car, so he didn't trespass or break the "no guns in bars" rule.

hoya
03-03-2014, 03:45 PM
Texas dad shot at Bricktown store in Oklahoma City | NewsOK.com (http://m.newsok.com/texas-dad-shot-at-bricktown-store-in-oklahoma-city/article/3939462)

Yet another shooting. Kids these days.

Achilleslastand
03-03-2014, 04:16 PM
Texas dad shot at Bricktown store in Oklahoma City | NewsOK.com (http://m.newsok.com/texas-dad-shot-at-bricktown-store-in-oklahoma-city/article/3939462)

The father should have known better........

OKCTalker
03-04-2014, 06:59 AM
Perception is usually worse than reality. The CBD suffered in the 1980s especially because the streets rolled up at 5:00, leaving only the homeless behind. Stories abounded about crime and assaults, and people decided NOT to visit downtown because of this - and some still do (they don't know what they're missing).

It is too late for Bricktown to reverse this. It has been tagged with a perception of serious crime, and every shooting reinforces it, even though they're few and far between.

Midtowner
03-04-2014, 07:28 AM

Bass Pro is getting rougher and rougher.

bchris02
03-04-2014, 07:36 AM
It is too late for Bricktown to reverse this. It has been tagged with a perception of serious crime, and every shooting reinforces it, even though they're few and far between.

Is it possible this perception is because of sensationalist journalism like this article?

Will nightclub slayings end Bricktown dream? | News OK (http://newsok.com/will-nightclub-slayings-end-bricktown-dream/article/3939497)

Articles like the one above become a self-fulfilling prophecy. I really hope that isn't the case for Bricktown. The glimmer of hope is that most people that would fall for such journalism aren't people who would be spending a lot of time in Bricktown past 10pm anyways.

I am not trying to downplay the shooting. It was a tragedy, but these kind of things happen all over the place. It could happen at a shopping mall, Six Flags, or Walt Disney World. It has to be kept in perspective.

kevinpate
03-04-2014, 08:23 AM

Hogwarsh, poppycock and balderdash :)
It might influence some club goers, but of course, new ones age up every day, ditch the fake ID's and enjoy being legal imbibers. But, again, most of what has closed in BT in recent years have been under funded or poorly marketed, or have an individual establishment bad rep that doesn't really impact the neighbors all that much.

But the bottom line is there are many many places far more dangerous within OKC metro than Bricktown between 10p-2a, and little to no danger worries evidenced prior to 10p within the area (or at least that is my perception. Those who visit daily or weekly will hopefully chime in and either concur or set me straight if I am.wetter than the bottom of a canal boat.

Prunepicker
03-04-2014, 05:30 PM
When I was gigging regularly in BT I saw several places go under due to
poor management. Sometimes the doors were chained and a notice of the
reason was explicitly written, i.e. taxes, utilities, rent, all of the above...

Garin
03-05-2014, 05:53 PM
Shocker on the suspect wouldn't have seen that coming.

Achilleslastand
03-05-2014, 05:58 PM

Its a "G" thang......

Urbanized
03-06-2014, 04:23 AM

Wouldn't have seen what coming?

Bill Robertson
03-06-2014, 06:35 AM
Define the criteria. Did the shooter buy the gun legally? Was the shooter a prior convicted felon? He supposedly went and got the gun from his car, so he didn't trespass or break the "no guns in bars" rule.Was the shooter drinking at all? Not only can you not carry into a bar you cannot carry while having any alcohol.

Garin
03-06-2014, 01:35 PM
Young black male.

Prunepicker
03-06-2014, 08:15 PM
I don't understand your post. Do you mean THAT instead of what?

Mel
03-06-2014, 08:23 PM
Testosterone and alcohol = violence. Everywhere you go. Main reason I am glad Bricktown isn't just a bar crawl.

Chadanth
03-06-2014, 08:26 PM
Bricktown is just fine as an entertianment and family-friendly district 90% of the time. It's only after midnight (over generalization but you get the point) that these problems pop up. It's nothing that any other city doesn't have to deal with.

Mel
03-06-2014, 08:29 PM
Only time I might be there late is a late movie. I park in the gimp spot so I don't have to limp too far to get to my car.

Urbanized
03-06-2014, 08:34 PM
I don't understand your post. Do you mean THAT instead of what?

No. It reads the way I meant for it to read. I was asking for clarification, and got it.

Buffalo Bill
03-06-2014, 10:22 PM

I wonder what the "over/ under" on this one is. My guess is he's a paranoid white dude from west Texas with major feelings of inadequacy. Just a guess though. Should probably heed the advice Ralphie Parker got.

RadicalModerate
03-06-2014, 10:33 PM
I wonder what the "over/ under" on this one is. My guess is he's a paranoid white dude from west Texas with major feelings of inadequacy. Just a guess though. Should probably heed the advice Ralphie Parker got.

Would it be logical to assume this is a subtle reference to why "Deadwood" on TV ended the way it did?
Or would this be more like "Carnivale"?
At least The Mayor is capable of responding to questions like that in regard to "BrickTown".

(Edited to Add):
"Mr. Mayor! Is THIS what BrickTown is coming to?!"
"Citizens of Borracho . . . Citizens of Borracho . . . Lend me your ears . . ."
twzCFMUJoNo

Prunepicker
03-07-2014, 09:21 PM
It's only a paper moon,
Sailing over a cardboard sea...