View Full Version : Best Reuben in OKC

trousers
03-01-2014, 07:28 PM
I've been craving a good reuben. Any suggestions?

Easy180
03-01-2014, 08:38 PM
I haven't tried very many, but McNellies makes a good one...And yes I've eaten several before getting drunk :cool:

Celebrator
03-01-2014, 09:39 PM
Ingrid's

MadMonk
03-01-2014, 09:45 PM
The Reubens at Jason's Deli are pretty good.

CuatrodeMayo
03-01-2014, 09:57 PM
Hobbies Hoagies in what used to be the Legacy on Walker.

RadicalModerate
03-02-2014, 07:13 AM
I'd have to agree with the Ingrid's suggestion, above.
(It really is one of the best Reuben's I've ever had . . . including the one I make on St. Reuben's Day--two days after St. Patrick's Day)

trousers
03-02-2014, 07:26 AM
I haven't tried very many, but McNellies makes a good one...And yes I've eaten several before getting drunk :cool:
Thanks for qualifying that lol. I've been tempted several times on pint night to try it. May happen soon.

trousers
03-02-2014, 07:27 AM
The problem with this many responses is that I may have to try them all. I've heard good thing about Ingrid's and Jason's Deli is right down the road...
The diet plans may have to go on hold for another week lol.

Martin
03-02-2014, 07:33 AM
i'm pretty sure the place you're looking for is nd foods on britton road between penn & may. admittedly, i haven't been in a while but their sandwiches are pretty amazing. -M

edit: urbanspoon has a picture!

http://a3.urbancdn.com/w/s/Bs/k0KOeTpw3EGuxK-640m.jpg

trousers
03-02-2014, 07:38 AM

MadMonk
03-02-2014, 04:11 PM
I have to second ND Foods as well. It's been a while since I've been there because I can never seem to get out of there without spending $20 for lunch, but I'm always happy with what I've eaten. If you go, be sure to try the spiced iced tea.

pickles
03-02-2014, 06:48 PM
Jason's Reuben is totally decent. Bigger and better than Ingrid's.

Roger S
03-02-2014, 06:52 PM
I have to give my nod to ND Foods.

Garin
03-02-2014, 08:08 PM
Arby's is pretty good if you want it right now.

Garin
03-02-2014, 08:11 PM
Best I ever had was at Carnegie deli in Vegas though not New York.

File:CarnegieReuben.jpg - Wikimedia Commons (http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:CarnegieReuben.jpg)

sooner88
03-02-2014, 08:15 PM
I will second ND's as a classic Reuben. Republic has one of my (if not my most) favorite Reuben.

Rover
03-02-2014, 09:02 PM
ND is good. But finding a real Reuben in Oklahoma is hard.

ChaseDweller
03-03-2014, 08:52 AM
Try Kitchen 324 - not a true Reuben, but an excellent sandwich. Also, Ground Floor in Leadership Square has a good one.

Easy180
11-19-2014, 06:36 PM

Had another good Reuben at McNellie's last night and washed it down with $3 Moose Drools on tap...Great combo

Prunepicker
11-19-2014, 08:54 PM
I've been craving a good reuben. Any suggestions?
Ingrid's Kitchen has a very good one. The sandwich is served on light rye. I ask for
Pumpernickel. I suggest a side of Red Cabbage and German Potato salad.

I play there on Saturday from noon to 2pm. We play dance music that's good to
listen to.

soonerguru
11-19-2014, 10:54 PM
Try Kitchen 324 - not a true Reuben, but an excellent sandwich. Also, Ground Floor in Leadership Square has a good one.

Agree that Ground Floor's is pretty good. The recently shuttered VZDs had a good one, too. But if that is the standard, hopefully Slaughter's Hall will have one on their menu. They seem to be going for a more straightforward, yet elevated, deli approach. Something OKC desperately needs. Of all the delicious offerings at Kitchen 324, their sandwiches are a real disappointment. When I tried their pastrami I almost cried.

Prunepicker
11-19-2014, 11:45 PM
... Of all the delicious offerings at Kitchen 324, their sandwiches are a real
disappointment. When I tried their pastrami I almost cried.
Pastrami must be served on Pumpernickel with Provolone and sauerkraut.

Anything less is unreasonable and unacceptable.

rezman
11-20-2014, 04:56 AM
When we used to visit my grandparents up in Chicagoland, we used to go to a place called Stein's in Lyons ... in the town of Lyons,Ill. The best I've ever had. I think they're closed now.

JarrodH
11-20-2014, 06:22 PM
The Reuben at Slaughter's Hall consists of House corned beef (12 days), homemade sauerkraut, Swiss cheese, house made Russian dressing served on Rye bread. Not completely traditional but an amazing sandwich.

Buffalo Bill
11-20-2014, 06:52 PM
The Reuben at Slaughter's Hall consists of House corned beef (12 days), homemade sauerkraut, Swiss cheese, house made Russian dressing served on Rye bread. Not completely traditional but an amazing sandwich.

What you described is the traditional Reuben. It would be interesting to see what is in their Russian dressing.

soonerguru
11-20-2014, 08:22 PM

This sounds very good!

ljbab728
11-20-2014, 09:05 PM
And, as per their menu, they heard it was the best in OKC. :)

http://www.okctalk.com/attachments/restaurants-bars/9525-slaughters-hall-image.jpg

Prunepicker
11-20-2014, 11:50 PM
What you described is the traditional Reuben. It would be interesting to see what is
in their Russian dressing.
I likes 'dem trads if they're on Pump.

Here's a Russian Dressing from Epicurious. (http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Russian-Dressing-51182860)

Russian Dressing
I've not discussed this with my Russian friends.

Ingredients

1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
1 cup purchased or homemade mayonnaise
1/4 cup ketchup-style chili sauce or ketchup
4 teaspoons bottled (regular; not packed in beet juice) horseradish, or to taste
1 teaspoon hot sauce, preferably Frank's Red Hot Sauce
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon sweet paprika
Fine sea salt

Preparation

In a mortar and pestle, mash the onion to create a paste, or use a large heavy knife
to mince and mash the onion into a paste. Transfer the onion paste to a small bowl
and whisk in the mayonnaise, chili sauce, horseradish, hot sauce, Worcestershire
sauce, and sweet paprika. Season with fine sea salt, if desired. DO AHEAD: The
dressing can be prepared ahead and refrigerated, in an airtight container, up to 2
weeks.

kevinpate
11-22-2014, 05:36 AM
I'm more of a fan of half reuben's as I don't care for kraut or mayo based dressings in general.

However, corned beef, swiss, and a mustard with some kick on rye bread is a right fair handful of a snack.

RadicalModerate
11-22-2014, 08:11 AM
I'm not a huge fan of sauerkraut, but using it on a Reuben is a serious exception to the rule.
That Bavarian-style in a can isn't bad.

I think that they have discontinued Russian Dressing in the bottle.
The closest thing to it is Catalina. However, I've always used Thousand Island on my Reuben's because that's what the original recipe I used called for. I suppose you could mix some horseradish in with the Catalina and it would be, like, Soviet Dressing.

Next to a Muffaleta, the Reuben is my favorite sandwich.
(but the Olive Salad involved is good on just about anything. Except soup to nuts.)

jdcf
11-22-2014, 09:27 AM
I had an outstanding Reuben last night at Ingrid's. The sauce had a unique and wonderful flavor.