View Full Version : Any good pool halls ?

Garin
03-01-2014, 03:03 PM
13 year old wants to go play some pool where's the best place to go?

Achilleslastand
03-01-2014, 04:31 PM
The name escapes me at the moment but there is one on the NE corner of NW 50th and May .......Chesters is the name.

bradh
03-01-2014, 04:52 PM
Slick Willie's on NW Expressway, not sure if the young one can get in though.

bchris02
03-01-2014, 05:03 PM
I second Slick Willie's. I haven't been to any here, but I used to go to them in Houston and it was a solid experience. They market themselves as a "Family" pool hall so I don't think it would be restricted to 21 and up, at least all the time.

trousers
03-01-2014, 07:43 PM
The name escapes me at the moment but there is one on the NE corner of NW 50th and May .......Chesters is the name.

Yep. Chester's is it. A friend of mine took his stepson there so teenagers are allowed.

kelroy55
03-01-2014, 08:17 PM
They do serve beer at Chesters but also burgers and such. Several tables and both snooker and regular.

Joe Kimball
03-02-2014, 09:21 PM
I play pool for fun, yet I take even that seriously, so if I speak over you, pardon me.

I don't know if cigarette smoke is an issue; I know it is for me. If it is, and if you just want to do eight-ball, I suggest the coin-op tables at Heritage Lanes at a dollar a pop. I'm sure Boulevard Lanes still has theirs if you are in or close to Edmond.

With that said, I think Chester's is probably the best as far as the unadulterated game, with some amusement, is concerned. There's a bunch of serious players there that I have seen, and indeed there's a snooker table, albeit an American one like you'll find anywhere else -- there's only one "international" table in town outside of any private residences that may have them, and that's at a nice, serious smoke-free-but-pool-only establishment on 10th.

Slick Willie's was a little run down when I last went, with worn cloth on most of the not-quite-level tables. There's a couple of nice tables on request that you'll pay a touch extra for. They are under new management now, so I expect my observations to be outdated.

Roger S
03-03-2014, 06:59 AM
AAA Billiards on NW 10th is a nice, smoke free, facility with really well maintained tables.

kelroy55
03-03-2014, 07:56 AM
I don't think Chester's is smoke free so if that's an issue....

Garin
03-03-2014, 08:07 AM
I don't think Chester's is smoke free so if that's an issue....

I'll suck on some smoke in trade of some nice tables and a good burger anytime.

kelroy55
03-03-2014, 08:37 AM
I didn't say the burgers were good :)

Joe Kimball
03-03-2014, 09:10 AM
AAA Billiards on NW 10th is a nice, smoke free, facility with really well maintained tables.

That's the place with the international snooker table, from Canada by way of Wisconsin, as well as like two or three other American ones. Now, I'm not sure if they even sell snacks or drinks, and they close early. But that's the place I personally would go to seriously work on my game with as little outside bias as possible. It's certainly the cleanest pool room I've ever been to, and the rates are good.

And it might not have been clear, kelroy, but I intended to list the coin-op tables as the only ones I knew of that were smoke-free, in an entertaining-type environment. Good tables and and no smoking do tend to go together like ketchup dogs in Chicago. But you do have to bite the bullet if you want a game of cut-throat, which involves spotting.

Roger S
03-03-2014, 09:43 AM
That's the place with the international snooker table, from Canada by way of Wisconsin, as well as like two or three other American ones. Now, I'm not sure if they even sell snacks or drinks, and they close early. But that's the place I personally would go to seriously work on my game with as little outside bias as possible. It's certainly the cleanest pool room I've ever been to, and the rates are good.

Before I moved further away from AAA. I had considered making it my place to practice since it was smoke free. The tables were actually so nice though that I was afraid it would affect my league games which are played on crappy bar boxes.

I only played at AAA once in a qualifier tournament and I'm pretty sure they had drinks and snacks like chips and candy.

I know there are some serious players over there too that might be willing to help a lesser experienced player learn the game.