View Full Version : COX dumping OKC tech support call center, adding sales call jobs

SoonerDave
03-01-2014, 08:30 AM
Cox Communications to eliminate call center jobs in Oklahoma City | News OK (http://newsok.com/company-to-eliminate-call-center-jobs-in-oklahoma-city/article/3938728)

Cox is pulling its tech support jobs out of its call center in NW OKC, and adding lower-level sales call jobs in exchange.

Cox excuses the swap by virtue of the net addition of jobs, but there's no getting around it's an exchange of technical, better quality jobs for lesser quality jobs.

Unfortunate net loss for the OKC job market.

Plutonic Panda
03-01-2014, 10:59 AM
About done with Cox entirely. Looking at either Direct TV or ATT UVerse

GaryOKC6
03-01-2014, 11:04 AM
About done with Cox entirely. Looking at either Direct TV or ATT UVerse

I have had cox and Direct TV I was not happy with either. I switched to Dish 3 years ago and it was everything that they promised and I have not had a rate increase. Not to mention, Dish Network is about half of the cost I was paying with Cox and direct tv.

Plutonic Panda
03-01-2014, 11:18 AM
I've never had Dish, but I've heard some not so great things about it.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
03-01-2014, 12:34 PM
I never had an issue with Cox (cable)...But when we moved to Choctaw a few years ago, it wasn't available. So we got Dish...And I have to say, I prefer Dish, and not just for the pricing. The Hoppah is pretty damn sweet too.

venture
03-01-2014, 12:37 PM
Cox Communications to eliminate call center jobs in Oklahoma City | News OK (http://newsok.com/company-to-eliminate-call-center-jobs-in-oklahoma-city/article/3938728)

Cox is pulling its tech support jobs out of its call center in NW OKC, and adding lower-level sales call jobs in exchange.

Cox excuses the swap by virtue of the net addition of jobs, but there's no getting around it's an exchange of technical, better quality jobs for lesser quality jobs.

Unfortunate net loss for the OKC job market.

Yeah it says something about these positions when they are actually offering relocation assistance to the those in the positions. If these were regular run of the mill tech support jobs, say what you would get at a Convergys or such, there would be no such provision. It's definitely a raw deal for those folks and also the city. I would imagine most will get moved out to Phoenix where the tech guys I normally speak to are from.

ctchandler
03-01-2014, 04:28 PM
GaryOKC6,
My Dish Network bill is considerably more than half the cost of Direct TV but a lady trying to sell me Direct TV told me that after the "honeymoon" (the first year with several discounts/freebies), they could not beat Dish Network's prices. Like you, I haven't received an increase. My HDTV and second receiver is free and I'm very satisfied. I left Direct TV almost ten years ago for Dish. Cox is not available in my area.
C. T.
I have had cox and Direct TV I was not happy with either. I switched to Dish 3 years ago and it was everything that they promised and I have not had a rate increase. Not to mention, Dish Network is about half of the cost I was paying with Cox and direct tv.

ctchandler
03-01-2014, 04:31 PM
PP,
Just curious, (I don't own stock), what have you heard? I have never had a problem that wasn't resolved within 48 hours. I did have a receiver go South but I ended up with a new and better unit.
C. T.
I've never had Dish, but I've heard some not so great things about it.

Dar405301
03-02-2014, 07:43 PM
I can't speak for cox, as I work for Comcast, doing tech support. I would much rather have a position in sales, but I will not move to Portland! again, can't speak for cox, but at Comcast, our sales agents make a commission for almost everything. even at a lower hourly rate, our sales agents make more than I do because of commissions. possibly the same situation with cox... it may not be a bad thing! and, I would much rather speak to people who are enthusiastic about getting or adding service, than those who want to berate me and cuss me out for something that I had nothing to do with!

Snowman
03-02-2014, 10:09 PM
The odd thing is, I think they had just recently expanded the number of positions there.

zookeeper
03-02-2014, 10:32 PM
Did their Quality Jobs money clock run out or something?

Plutonic Panda
03-03-2014, 10:10 AM
I never had an issue with Cox (cable)...But when we moved to Choctaw a few years ago, it wasn't available. So we got Dish...And I have to say, I prefer Dish, and not just for the pricing. The Hoppah is pretty damn sweet too.I've only heard bad things about their customer service. Haven't tried it though, so I might give it a shot.

Plutonic Panda
03-03-2014, 10:12 AM
PP,
Just curious, (I don't own stock), what have you heard? I have never had a problem that wasn't resolved within 48 hours. I did have a receiver go South but I ended up with a new and better unit.
C. T.I've heard from multiple people, esp. my cousin, who have all said they have really bad customer service. They were also voted one of the worst companies in America to do business with --however it was a Yahoo poll-- so I honestly am basing it off of opinions from others.

Plutonic Panda
03-03-2014, 10:13 AM
I never had an issue with Cox (cable)...But when we moved to Choctaw a few years ago, it wasn't available. So we got Dish...And I have to say, I prefer Dish, and not just for the pricing. The Hoppah is pretty damn sweet too.Haven't heard of the Hoppah, what is that?

bchris02
03-03-2014, 01:04 PM
I've heard from multiple people, esp. my cousin, who have all said they have really bad customer service. They were also voted one of the worst companies in America to do business with --however it was a Yahoo poll-- so I honestly am basing it off of opinions from others.

Dish or Cox? I have generally had good luck with Cox and don't really have any issues with them other than their pricing. Customer service has always been great though and I wouldn't use anybody else for Internet. When I lived in Charlotte, Time Warner was MUCH more reasonable in terms of costs. The tradeoff is their Internet was crap compared to Cox. Dish on the other hand I've heard horror stories about.

Of Sound Mind
03-03-2014, 01:12 PM
Haven't heard of the Hoppah, what is that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHWmqwQcg0U

Of Sound Mind
03-03-2014, 01:12 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONetquG9Iq8

Of Sound Mind
03-03-2014, 01:13 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ghWaikxT4U