View Full Version : DA David Prater clears three OHP officers accused of beating deaf man

BBatesokc
02-27-2014, 05:56 AM
KFOR released the previously unseen dash cam video from an OHP unit involved in the controversial arrest of 64-year-old Pearl Pearson on Jan. 3rd.

EXCLUSIVE: Troopers accused of beating deaf man; watch exclusive video that reveals the truth (http://kfor.com/2014/02/26/dash-cam-video-deaf-man-charged-with-resisting-arrest-officers-cleared/)

Unlike the recently discussed controversial video of the arrest and death of a man at a Moore movie Theater, I don't see anything that supports the DA's conclusion the troopers used "a great deal of restraint."(Well, I guess since they didn't kill him, that counts as restraint with our DA)

I'm not saying the video shows the actions of the officers were criminal - I'm just saying the video doesn't show enough to draw a conclusion either way. Certainly not enough to basically be patting the OHP officers on the back.

So unclear is the video (in my eyes) that I'm not even willing to give the officers the benefit of the doubt.

Others may see it differently.

MustangGT
02-27-2014, 01:43 PM
When there is doubt it always goes to the accused. That is how the system works. LEO's have the same presumption of innocence that everybody has. It cannot be had both ways.

Jersey Boss
02-27-2014, 05:42 PM
The usual adage of the DA when there is doubt, "let a jury decide". That is when the accused is just a citizen or not well connected.

BBatesokc
02-27-2014, 06:07 PM
When there is doubt it always goes to the accused. That is how the system works. LEO's have the same presumption of innocence that everybody has. It cannot be had both ways.

There is a HUGE difference between 'inconclusive' and 'great job.'

FYI - circumstantial cases go to trial all the time - meaning, the prosecutors let the jury decide. (hence no presumption of innocence)

Not saying these officers should be charged. I'm just saying there is nothing in the video that clears them in the tone DA Prater put to paper.

Mel
02-27-2014, 07:29 PM
"Lucky to be alive". Nowadays I guess that is true. It's his fault for being deaf and confused. If your driving late enough at night or horror, driving after midnight you have a lot of the lower seniority cops out patrolling. Which means they are younger and pumped up and looking to make a rep.

kevinpate
02-27-2014, 07:37 PM
Mel, while I see where you are coming from, over the years quite a bit of my police contact has come after 11 pm and generally I have fewer matters that stick out from late night encounters than early afternoon to early evening encounters. Of course that could also be because most of my late night encounters generally came when I was working and caused someone to be curious about my presence in certain locations, and most afternoon or early evening encounters were um, quizzical events often involving automobiles in some fashion or another.

Mel
02-27-2014, 07:48 PM
When I worked evenings at the airport sometimes I would not get off until 2 or so in the A.M. I lived in Mustang even then. I had to get past OCPD, Ok. county sheriffs, H.P., Canadian county sheriffs and Mustang PD. My work vehicle was always some hunk of junk that was good enough to get me back and forth. I got pulled over so many times it got to be a routine. Never got ticketed but it sure adds to your drive time. Also routine was seeing flashing lights at the Canadian County Country Club. Sorry for the off topic post but I am hearing and physically impaired and probably would not make it through alive from a "modern" routine police encounter.

RadicalModerate
02-27-2014, 07:53 PM
Wouldn't it be the ultimate irony or coincidence or synchronicity on a cosmic level if DA David Prater's name was actually David Allen Prater?
It would be, like, destiny or kismet or whatever. Even if redundant . . . =)

(btw: Kirk/Spock would be infinitely superior to whatever ticket will be flipped to the masses)

RadicalModerate
03-01-2014, 07:27 PM
Even more aligned with the principals of quantum mechanics in the modern world/whirled would be if D.A. Prater's last name was Coe . . .

vAOVRkSCWmg

(well . . . wouldn't it? =)