View Full Version : Air filter noise

Easy180
02-26-2014, 11:55 AM
Just got around to replacing the filters our builder put in. I went with middle of the road allergen pleated filters. My problem is all 3 now whistle when the air is on but the one in our bedroom was annoying enough for me to put the old one back in. The builders air filters were non pleated cheapies so I wanted to get some thoughts on whether the whistling might be due to pleated, higher efficiency or both.

Thanks!

SoonerDave
02-26-2014, 12:51 PM
Just got around to replacing the filters our builder put in. I went with middle of the road allergen pleated filters. My problem is all 3 now whistle when the air is on but the one in our bedroom was annoying enough for me to put the old one back in. The builders air filters were non pleated cheapies so I wanted to get some thoughts on whether the whistling might be due to pleated, higher efficiency or both.

Thanks!

Actually the cheaper filters are very often a better deal, because the "better" pleated filters actually cause your air handling system to work harder to pull in and heat/cool the same volume of air. That's because the pleated filters have a higher resistance to the inbound air, meaning the intake fan has to work just that much harder. Over time, overworking the fan can shorten its lifespan.

My take was (and as had been substantiated on some HVAC sites I've seen) is to use a basic filter and keep it changed regularly. Just my $0.02.

ou48A
02-26-2014, 01:12 PM

Thanks!
You may need a larger air in take that would require a larger filter.

Even with the draw backs I would personally much rather breathe cleaner air than what the cheap fiberglass filters provide even if they are changed regularly.

Easy180
02-26-2014, 01:20 PM
You may need a larger air in take that would require a larger filter.

Even with the draw backs I would personally much rather breathe cleaner air than what the cheap fiberglass filters provide even if they are changed regularly.

That might be the path I take. One of the possibilities is leaving the smaller one in the bedroom as a cheap fiberglass one while the two larger ones in the hallways whistle on with higher quality filters. I'm wondering if having just one (much smaller) cheap filter negates what the other two are doing.

stick47
02-26-2014, 01:22 PM
I noticed the same thing in our new home and even had the HVAC guy come out & check the noise. As soon as he removed the pleated filter it quieted down so I bought the $1.49 filters. There's nothing about airborne dust that's going to bother me as much as a noisy HVAC unit.

SoonerDave
02-26-2014, 01:32 PM
After multiple years of ridiculously uneven temps and high bills, we had a guy come out and assess our HVAC, and he concluded that we're one intake vent short of what our house needs. The only problem was that his estimate of recutting the ductwork to accommodate a third intake was a substantial percentage of a new system install. Advising we couldn't recoup the cost of the recut before we'd likely be putting in new equipment anyway, he suggested to make the best of it - even possibly cutting in a third duct myself - or just live with the high bills for the time being.

He said the system was starved for additional air, and to be sure to use the most basic filters possible. Sounds like your system is working hard to pull in a big volume of air, so I'd sure be reluctant to use anything too complex.

Garin
02-26-2014, 01:55 PM
its the same as the light bulb issue , the cheap fiberglass filters were great, quiet, and cheap. But now they want you to buy the pleated stuff that starves your system and are noisy and cost 3 times as much.

ou48A
02-26-2014, 02:22 PM
That might be the path I take. One of the possibilities is leaving the smaller one in the bedroom as a cheap fiberglass one while the two larger ones in the hallways whistle on with higher quality filters. I'm wondering if having just one (much smaller) cheap filter negates what the other two are doing.
A larger air in take that would accommodate a larger but higher quality filter would probably be the best solution if you want the cleaner air.

I know I would hate to be putting up with this problem 5 or more years from now, especially if you have pets, kids and allergy’s.

PS: I have a 2 stage geothermal unit where the second stage only kicks in when it gets really, really cold/hot. Its nice because the system is pretty quite on the first stage. You can hear the filter being sucked tighter whenever the second stage kicks in.

RadicalModerate
02-26-2014, 02:45 PM
its the same as the light bulb issue , the cheap fiberglass filters were great, quiet, and cheap. But now they want you to buy the pleated stuff that starves your system and are noisy and cost 3 times as much.

The question I'd like to ask would be something along the lines of:
What tune are your air conditioning filters whistling?
(is it more like Toccata and Fugue in D-Minor? Or Banjo Music?)

Edited to Add . . .
S4PYI6TzqYk

(get over it. resistance is futile)

stick47
02-26-2014, 07:10 PM
One improvement I only recently learned of is having a variable speed motor in the air handler. When our heat pump first starts up the air temp coming out isn't warm. Actually cold if you're right under a vent. I've heard that with a VS motor the unit blows at low speed momentarily that gives the duct work time to heat up then the fan speed comes on at regular power. Wondering if anyone here can vouch for the increase in comfort with that type of unit?

MadMonk
02-26-2014, 09:22 PM

Thanks!

I've had this problem from time to time. I've found that the issue is more about air going around the filter and whistling as it sqeeks by the edges. Have you tried making sure the filter is all the way up against the back of the housing and the little bend-out metal tabs along the side are set to better hold it in place? Even with the more expensive filters, I've sometimes had to adjust the fit a bit, even using the same brand. It's like the sizes sometimes vary slightly between manufacturing runs. Some filters fit super-tight, and some can flop up and down when the air cycles on/off until I adjust the little tabs.

I used to get the one-notch-down from the most expensive allergen filters. I now tend to use the "True Blue" filters from Home Depot. They are cheaper than the 3M Filtretes, but are still a 90-day filter that seems to do a good job filtering the air.

Easy180
02-27-2014, 06:33 PM
That might be part of the problem Monk as I had to jam the Honeywells in while the original cheapies fit perfectly.

CuatrodeMayo
02-27-2014, 08:48 PM
I have a similar problem, with high-quality filters, my unit has a distinctive while/hum. Cheap filters do the trick. Plus, I know when my filters are getting clogged, because it starting whining again.

Mel
02-28-2014, 12:24 AM
My filters don't make any noise but the roar of the window unit lulls me to sleep.

ctchandler
02-28-2014, 11:25 AM
I wasn't going to post because my solution is fairly expensive but since it looks like Easy180 has a solution, I love my electronic air cleaner. I have had one since 1974 except for a short time when my former A/C company recommended the Air Bear filtering systems. It wasn't near as good and was more trouble to change than it was to clean my electronic filter with a water hose or in the dishwasher. And it doesn't pop/crack like the older ones did. At least I can't hear it.

Servicetech571
03-01-2014, 05:05 PM
Having a 4" thick media filter gives the best bang for the $$$. Low restriction AND excellent filtration. Filter life is also much longer than a 1" filter.

MadMonk
03-01-2014, 08:41 PM
Okay, so how do you fit a 4" filter into a 1" filter's housing? Or do I just shove a smaller 4" up in the existing housing?

Servicetech571
03-02-2014, 05:50 AM
Okay, so how do you fit a 4" filter into a 1" filter's housing? Or do I just shove a smaller 4" up in the existing housing?

Depends on your setup. On my ceiling returns I was able to simply "fold back" the tabs on the return filter grill. Weatherstrip around the sides and good to go. Not all systems are that easy to retrofit, and may require a media filter cabinet to be installed to house the 4" thick filter.

ctchandler
03-02-2014, 12:45 PM
Madmonk,
Like an electronic air cleaner, the Air Bear requires a custom housing and is normally put in when the blower unit is installed. I have not heard of installation as an "add on", but I suppose it can be done. It would be mainly labor costs to remove 5" of plenum with some cost for the filter housing itself. What Servicetech did was utilize the space in his return vent to handle a the 4" filter. I don't know why that wouldn't work
C. T..

Servicetech571
03-02-2014, 01:38 PM
4" media cabinets are about $100 online, labor to install it can be what determines if it's economical to do or not. My solution requires a box of weatherstripping and the filters. Filter are about $50 for a box of 6 of Merv 8. Locke supply and online sources are competitive for the 4" filters.