View Full Version : Would they salute her flag draped coffin?

Garin
02-26-2014, 09:37 AM
Stupid selfie! Soldier posts pic of herself avoiding flag salute, ignites online firestorm - NY Daily News (http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/stupid-selfie-soldier-posts-pic-avoiding-flag-salute-article-1.1702076)

She needs to spend some time in the box for this, maybe it would clear up her thoughts.

Chadanth
02-26-2014, 09:59 AM
Stupid selfie! Soldier posts pic of herself avoiding flag salute, ignites online firestorm* - NY Daily News (http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/stupid-selfie-soldier-posts-pic-avoiding-flag-salute-article-1.1702076)

She needs to spend some time in the box for this, maybe it would clear up her thoughts.

She'll probably get an article 15 and some extra duty. It's pretty unlikely that someone would get kicked out for this.

kelroy55
02-26-2014, 10:15 AM
She'll probably get an article 15 and some extra duty. It's pretty unlikely that someone would get kicked out for this.

The part about hiding to not have to salute the flag is disrespectful and to take a selfie to brag about it is ignorant. I agree she won't be kicked out but will get loss of pay and extra duty. Hopefully this young lady will learn a valuable lesson from this and I think a period of time being part of the flag duty might be appropriate. To suggest she needs to spend some time in 'the box' for this is also ignorant.

RadicalModerate
02-26-2014, 10:24 AM
Stupid selfie! Soldier posts pic of herself avoiding flag salute, ignites online firestorm* - NY Daily News (http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/stupid-selfie-soldier-posts-pic-avoiding-flag-salute-article-1.1702076)

Is what we have here a "failure* to communicate"?
I mean . . . with "time in the box" and all . . .

*alternate pronunciation: "fail-yuh"

Edited to Add (for clarification purposes):
SnO9Jyz82Ps

please excuse any ignorant redneck stereotyping implied or intended.
no actual rednecks were injured in the making of this metaphor. =)

Say! As "punishment" for her offense, how about they make her eat fifty eggs?
I'd bet she can't.

PennyQuilts
02-26-2014, 10:44 AM
I just find what she did to be bizarre. I can't begin to get into her head..

Garin
02-26-2014, 10:53 AM
Is what we have here a "failure* to communicate"?
I mean . . . with "time in the box" and all . . .

*alternate pronunciation: "fail-yuh"

Edited to Add (for clarification purposes):
SnO9Jyz82Ps

please excuse any ignorant redneck stereotyping implied or intended.
no actual rednecks were injured in the making of this metaphor. =)

Say! As "punishment" for her offense, how about they make her eat fifty eggs?
I'd bet she can't.

This is the first thing that came to my mind also.

Garin
02-26-2014, 10:55 AM
The part about hiding to not have to salute the flag is disrespectful and to take a selfie to brag about it is ignorant. I agree she won't be kicked out but will get loss of pay and extra duty. Hopefully this young lady will learn a valuable lesson from this and I think a period of time being part of the flag duty might be appropriate. To suggest she needs to spend some time in 'the box' for this is also ignorant.

What's ignorant is that people like this draw a paycheck , she should be thrown out or thrown in the box to reflect on her choices......

Achilleslastand
02-26-2014, 10:57 AM
I could not even get past the how do you pronounce here name correctly bit.
Some NJP would serve her well I am thinking.............

CaptDave
02-26-2014, 11:00 AM
A little one on one time with a NCO or two would nicely supplement an Article 15. I think she will probably have a few weeks of colors detail and several hundred pushups in her near future.

BBatesokc
02-26-2014, 11:51 AM
Yeah, cuz young soldiers never do stupid stuff - lets just throw them out or 'into the box.'

How about we do what we all (should) hope the military will do for our young people - teach them to respect themselves, their country and their role in representing the armed forces.

How about some extra duty, some leadership training and a little acknowledgement that it was a stupid decision and a lesson learned and move on without looking like a bunch of heavy handed hypocrites.

MadMonk
02-26-2014, 11:56 AM
I can understand her doing this, everyone likes to be a little naughty at times. But to boast about it online, with her rank and name clearly visible (along with her face)...words fail me.

kevinpate
02-26-2014, 11:58 AM
apaprently words failed the soldier as well, hence the acronym at the end.

RadicalModerate
02-26-2014, 12:05 PM
This is the first thing that came to my mind also.

A Cyber-Bridge is Built! (too bad THEY can't do the same thing between Purcell and Langston)
and when i say "THEY" i mean the BilderBurgers no offense to Alex Jones or his ilk including his Brit flunky from NPR.=)

(I'm prepping some ratatouille for supper tonight--along with some LambMeatballs c/o Rachael Ray et.al. and some authentic, from the bag Yellow Rice so I can't be sure)

Mel
02-26-2014, 12:13 PM
She disrespected the flag and you just don't do that when you are in the military. An article 15 and extra duty is the least she should get, and take away her phone. That would be the killing blow for this youngster.

CaptDave
02-26-2014, 12:21 PM
But to answer the question in the thread title - yes. If this Soldier, who clearly screwed the pooch with the stupid Instagram photo died in service of the country, her flag draped coffin would be saluted and rightfully so. Some of the most infuriating garrison Soldiers sometimes do extraordinary things when the chips are down. This Soldier may or may not be one of those people, but her behavior will be addressed and corrected in due course.

RadicalModerate
02-26-2014, 12:23 PM
I just find what she did to be bizarre. I can't begin to get into her head..

Sorry (really) if this is offensive (it is not intended as such). Yet, I have to admit that the thought that your statement might constitute an argument for late term abortions crossed my mind. Too bad there isn't a war on. (again. I'm sorry for thinking that, if only for a moment.) I think it was on the borderline between Venal and Mortal Sins.

All I know is that I'm forgiven for a PhuqueOop.

(back to the Ratatouille with LambMeatballs and Yellow Rice. =)

(Edited to Add):
The Marines on Iwo Jima saluted the flag and a monument was erected in their honor
Rightfully so (IMHO)

That was then, this is now.

Would the same Marines still salute what the flag represents today?

(especially those Marines who don't believe in Idolatry . . ?)
(for religious reasons)

Cocaine
03-01-2014, 03:26 AM
Let's just let CO's decide what her punishment should be.

Stew
03-01-2014, 04:07 AM
Eh, I've done the same thing on a military installation. You're in your car, it's seconds from the loud speakers playing the anthem and it's 100 or 6 degrees outside. Yeah, I was a loser and chose to chill in my car. I should be cained. Oh yeah and truth be known it's not all that uncommon.

Good grief folks get so outraged over absolutely nothing. This young lady showed her respect for country when she signed on the line that is dotted and spoke an oath with her hand held high. The disgusting part of this thing is the title of this topic. Moving on.

Dennis Heaton
03-01-2014, 05:43 AM
Had this young Soldier been in my Squadron, she would have received a Letter of Reprimand and Ordered to Report to Retreat for 30 days

PennyQuilts
03-01-2014, 06:20 AM
Eh, I've done the same thing on a military installation. You're in your car, it's seconds from the loud speakers playing the anthem and it's 100 or 6 degrees outside. Yeah, I was a loser and chose to chill in my car. I should be cained. Oh yeah and truth be known it's not all that uncommon.

Good grief folks get so outraged over absolutely nothing. This young lady showed her respect for country when she signed on the line that is dotted and spoke an oath with her hand held high. The disgusting part of this thing is the title of this topic. Moving on.

It's not the "same thing" until you go out of your way to tweet/sneer/fb about it and then double down by bragging that the tax payers are paying her to lay around all day. It wasn't just that she skipped the event - it was broadcasting her distain and gloating that the tax payers paid her to lay around. I'm betting it never crossed your mind to behave like that.

RadicalModerate
03-01-2014, 06:27 AM
. . . Moving on.

An old wound is opened . . . salt applied to it . . . and it is cauterized again for reopening in the future.
So go The Days of Our Lives . . . (cue theme music).

Dennis Heaton
03-01-2014, 06:38 AM

Oh GAWD the Smell!
03-01-2014, 12:46 PM

Yup. Pretty much sums up my thoughts.

kelroy55
03-03-2014, 09:13 AM
Stupidity is not limited to the military.....

Girl costs father $80,000 with 'SUCK IT' Facebook post - CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/02/us/facebook-post-costs-father/index.html?hpt=hp_bn1)