View Full Version : SHOCK POLL: Cornett Destroying Shadid in Virtually Every Demographic Category

Pages : [1] 2

soonerguru
02-25-2014, 11:09 PM
News 9 / Gazette poll shows Cornett winning by 45 points. He's leading among every age group and every ideological group, from "very liberal" to "very conservative." The only demographic category the poll showed Shadid leading was among people making less than $25k a year.

If this poll holds up, STEVE HUNT will have performed better among voters than Ed Shadid, and Hunt had exactly no money to spend on his campaign.

This shows what a disaster Ed's campaign strategy is and how politically tone deaf he is. You can't do anything to help anyone if you can't get elected, and once elected, if you cannot rally people to your side, you cannot accomplish any of your initiatives.

It's also political folly to screw over people who helped get you elected in the first place. If you have no loyalty to people who worked for you, how can you be trusted by the citizens?

Here's a link to the poll:

Poll: Cornett Leads Shadid By Wide Margin In OKC Mayor's Race - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports | (http://www.news9.com/story/24818913/poll-cornett-leads-shadid-by-wide-margin-in-okc-mayors-race)

jerrywall
02-25-2014, 11:25 PM
Coming tomorrow... the in depth *cough* piece of *something* from the Red Dirt Report breaking down how Chamber lackeys News 9 and The Gazette worked together to try to discourage Shadid voters with manufactured polling data.

soonerguru
02-25-2014, 11:42 PM
I actually think Shadid will overperform this poll. But who cares? I see the top end of his vote somewhere between 35-38%. Considering the amount of money he has spent and the significant volunteer base he has had to build on, this would be a massive electoral failure. To not even exceed Steve Hunt's numbers? Wow. I'm starting to believe that Shadid's council seat is far from safe at this point.

MWCGuy
02-25-2014, 11:54 PM
Oklahomans typically have the opinion of "If it is not broke, don't fix it" when it comes to politics. Cornett has been a great leader and an excellent ambassador. I honestly think he should run for governor in foreseeable future. I think he would break away from the chains of the typical politician and work to encourage the legislature to produce and pass legislation that puts the state on a good solid footing for the future instead of these stupid bills that do nothing but, cater to the lunatic fringe of each respective party.

catch22
02-25-2014, 11:57 PM
Wow! This race is closer than I had feared!

Bellaboo
02-26-2014, 06:38 AM
Anyone with half a brain can see right through Shadid. Nothing to worry about here.

David
02-26-2014, 06:57 AM
Glad to see that sanity prevails, but it is not yet time to rest.

kevinpate
02-26-2014, 07:21 AM
Anyone with half a brain can see right through Shadid. Nothing to worry about here.

Those are never the people to fret over, unless they get busy and do not bother to show up.
The less than half a brain folks tend to not get too busy to show up.
Polls like this can make the busy folk not take the time to vote, as they tend to think it is in the bag. Hopefully, that won't play out, but it's been a concern of mine regarding the OKC race.

catcherinthewry
02-26-2014, 07:33 AM
Oklahomans typically have the opinion of "If it is not broke, don't fix it" when it comes to politics.

In order for Shadid to be elected we'd have to have more of a "If it is not broke, let's break it" mentality.

Edgar
02-26-2014, 08:33 AM
In order for Shadid to be elected we'd have to have more of a "If it is not broke, let's break it" mentality.

What'll be broke is the town once the MAPSIII folly is fully executed. Imagine the numbers will be rather closer on voting day. Lot of people may be reluctant to publicly back Shadid being that he likes to smoke crack with gay prostitutes. Whatever the results, Shadid's candidacy has shone a bright light on the meet behind closed doors in small groups to avoid violating the open meetings act plutocracy that is OKC governance.

kevinpate
02-26-2014, 08:36 AM
... people may be reluctant to publicly back Shadid being that he likes to smoke crack with gay prostitutes. ...

Slowly he turns, step by step, perhaps toward the light?

MWCGuy
02-26-2014, 08:40 AM
MAPS 3 Folly? I would hardly call it that. After all we are one of a few cities were new businesses are opening instead of closing and people are moving here because you can find work and you can afford to live here.

Edgar
02-26-2014, 08:46 AM
MAPS 3 Folly? I would hardly call it that. After all we are one of a few cities were new businesses are opening instead of closing and people are moving here because you can find work and you can afford to live here.

MAPSIII is a half baked special interests insult to the franchise

LakeEffect
02-26-2014, 08:49 AM

Those dang seniors and their special interest needs for activity centers.
Those dang residents and their desires for sidewalks and trails.
Those dang visitors that come to our convention center and our State Fair Park to spend $$$ and bolster the economy.

I hate special interests.

CaptDave
02-26-2014, 09:24 AM

And differs from MAPS how exactly?

Baseball stadium for the special interests of baseball fans and the Redhawks?
Oklahoma River dams - special interest of people who like to row boats in water rather than in a gym?
Ford Center - special interests of concert promoters and people who can afford concert tickets?
Bricktown canal - those darn business special interests who made a few bucks developing a run down warehouse district?
Library - the literate special interest of people who like to read?
Civic Center - special interest of OKC Phil and other arts organizations?

Will you ever realize that everyone is a special interest? And MAPS has been an excellent vehicle to fund large scale public infrastructure that serves thousands of those special interests in differing ways.

The sort of tired old sloganeering and weak rhetoric you have used trying to demonize people provides the stereotype of the loony liberal who hates business. But I suppose that is who Ed appeals to most while clear thinking people regardless of political philosophy realize Mayor Cornett has done a very good job and is the obvious best choice on Mar 4th. Why don't you go stand on the corner and chant "hey hey, ho ho, MAPS and plutocrats have got to go" rather than waste 1's and 0's here?

king183
02-26-2014, 09:40 AM
When it comes to age, Cornett seems to get most of his support from voters over the age of 50, but he also tops Shadid in younger demographics. One in three 18 to 34-year-olds prefer Cornett over Shadid, although that age category also had the highest number of undecided voters at 17 percent, according to the poll.

I don't understand how the 18-34 year old demographic can be so undecided in this race, given that Cornett has done so much to improve the quality of life and appeal of Oklahoma City for this age group. Cornett should be receiving every single one of these votes. I hear on a daily basis from people in this age range that they love what OKC has become and, for those who live in other cities, they can't wait to move here.

Edgar
02-26-2014, 10:13 AM
And differs from MAPS how exactly?

Baseball stadium for the special interests of baseball fans and the Redhawks?
Oklahoma River dams - special interest of people who like to row boats in water rather than in a gym?
Ford Center - special interests of concert promoters and people who can afford concert tickets?
Bricktown canal - those darn business special interests who made a few bucks developing a run down warehouse district?
Library - the literate special interest of people who like to read?
Civic Center - special interest of OKC Phil and other arts organizations?

Will you ever realize that everyone is a special interest? And MAPS has been an excellent vehicle to fund large scale public infrastructure that serves thousands of those special interests in differing ways.

The sort of tired old sloganeering and weak rhetoric you have used trying to demonize people provides the stereotype of the loony liberal who hates business. But I suppose that is who Ed appeals to most while clear thinking people regardless of political philosophy realize Mayor Cornett has done a very good job and is the obvious best choice on Mar 4th. Why don't you go stand on the corner and chant "hey hey, ho ho, MAPS and plutocrats have got to go" rather than waste 1's and 0's here?
OKC needed a new concert venue with a greater capacity to get back on the concert circuit, and everyone was excited by the new ballpark and a lively Bricktown. The franchise got highjacked by the chamber interests in the III iteration. Remeber Shadid's "finished as promised" pledge in context. Cornett made the imperious edict that he wasn't ceding any power to any danged MAPS committee, and Pat Ryan questioning the streetcar. This before we found out it's an amusement ride rather than actual public transport. The timeline vote proved this was all about the cc promoted by downtown special interests.

CaptDave
02-26-2014, 10:22 AM
"Needed" a new concert venue? For whom? Those special interests that could make more money promoting concerts? I bet the concert promoters and arena operators are members of the evil chamber. Same with the baseball team owners.

You didn't say "junta" but added "imperious edict". That is rich considering who you have sworn fealty to. (Not rich as in wealth because I know you hate that stuff. Rich as is ironic.)

Amusement ride? You're being silly now. Or did you go to a seminar and are an expert on transit design and engineering too? Maybe you live near a Holiday Inn Express?

The doc started out doing ok on the council asking a few uncomfortable questions that needed to be asked. I even agree the MAPS timeline vote was not handled well. Unfortunately, somewhere along the way, that evolved into quasi paranoia about vast plutocratic conspiracies and resulted in alienating most of the other council members including those who were once inclined to work with him. But keep rambling and ranting - you have become the caricature of the Shadid supporter and there's no need to change now. "Hey hey, ho ho......."

Edgar
02-26-2014, 11:11 AM
"Needed" a new concert venue? For whom? Those special interests that could make more money promoting concerts? I bet the concert promoters and arena operators are members of the evil chamber. Same with the baseball team owners.

You didn't say "junta" but added "imperious edict". That is rich considering who you have sworn fealty to. (Not rich as in wealth because I know you hate that stuff. Rich as is ironic.)

Amusement ride? You're being silly now. Or did you go to a seminar and are an expert on transit design and engineering too? Maybe you live near a Holiday Inn Express?

The doc started out doing ok on the council asking a few uncomfortable questions that needed to be asked. I even agree the MAPS timeline vote was not handled well. Unfortunately, somewhere along the way, that evolved into quasi paranoia about vast plutocratic conspiracies and resulted in alienating most of the other council members including those who were once inclined to work with him. But keep rambling and ranting - you have become the caricature of the Shadid supporter and there's no need to change now. "Hey hey, ho ho......."

Not a transport expert but apparently the people that are weren't invited to the meeting.
Don't have to take my word, hear it from the head of the chamber junta, MAPSIII all about getting the least popular most expensive project done before the $ runs out for the projects people actually voted on.Greater Oklahoma City Chamber - A Gathering Place for Us and Them (http://www.okcchamber.com/index.php?src=blog&submenu=Blogs&srctype=detail&blogid=11) Shouldn't they have been addressed in order of popularity?
I'm going to the Joe Bonamassa show in April at the arena, so it's serving my special interest and the 1000's of other who'll be in attendance.

Midtowner
02-26-2014, 11:14 AM
I gave you that link awhile ago (and you never responded to the point) and it says nowhere in there what you're saying it says.

CaptDave
02-26-2014, 11:21 AM
Not a transport expert but apparently the people that are weren't invited to the meeting.
Don't have to take my word, hear it from the head of the chamber junta, MAPSIII all about getting the least popular most expensive project done before the $ runs out for the projects people actually voted on.Greater Oklahoma City Chamber - A Gathering Place for Us and Them (http://www.okcchamber.com/index.php?src=blog&submenu=Blogs&srctype=detail&blogid=11) Shouldn't they have been addressed in order of popularity?
I'm going to the Joe Bonamassa show in April at the arena, so it's serving my special interest and the 1000's of other who'll be in attendance.

Good - enjoy it. But stop complaining about other special interests that differ from yours. Thousands of high school students might graduate in the new CC some day, local residents will enjoy a nicer venue for home & garden shows, different local organizations will hold balls, and those terrible plutocratic oil & gas people might host industry trade meetings there also. But you cannot get away from "junta" very long can you?

"While a convention center is no doubt an important economic driver and generator for the visitor industry, there is much more to what a convention center brings to Oklahoma City. Since 1972 the Myriad, now the Cox Convention Center, has been our community's meeting place. It is where we celebrate with events like graduations, banquets and concerts. It is where we feed the hungry each year at Thanksgiving. It is where we meet to talk about business, or hold a prayer breakfast or even mourn our losses, as we did recently for Clara Luper. In fact, if you look at attendance and revenue numbers for the Cox Center, you would find that two-thirds of all attendees at the convention center (340,000 of the total 520,000) are "us", not out-of-town visitors."

BTW - that junta you hate clearly stated convention business in OKC is 2/3 local, so the new CC will be mostly for those special interests like you and I who attend various community events. And if the new cc attracts a few more out of town meetings and events, that is a bonus and not something to gripe about. So stop trying the divide and conquer nonsense. That tactic has failed miserably by all indications. You may want to reconsider your statements and links you use trying to support a position that has been rejected by most clear thinking people.

kevinpate
02-26-2014, 11:41 AM
Edgar, you've drank so much kool-aid it's diluted your brain activity.
Evil junta putting the cc first. If that was what was tried, the evil junta is a toothless blunder.

Sidewalks - already being constructed, and additional funds dedicated to keep building more. Meanwhile, cc has a planned spot, though not purchased.
Trails - Already underway, with more to come. Meanwhile, cc has a planned spot, though not purchased.
Street car - whether amusing or practical plus, route set, work progressing. Meanwhile, cc has a planned spot, though not purchased.
River improvements - already underway, with more planned. Meanwhile, cc has a planned spot, though not purchased.
Whitewater facility - ground breaking set for 2014. Meanwhile, cc has a planned spot, though not purchased.
Aquatic centers - not recalling but discussions underway. Meanwhile, cc has a planned spot, though not purchased.
Fairgrounds - design completed; site work started(?) Meanwhile, cc has a planned spot, though not purchased.
Park - land acquired; clearing underway; designs being developed. Meanwhile, cc has a planned spot, though not purchased.

I tell ya something there lil fib-monger, if the city chamber actually were an evil junta intent on imposing their will to force a cc through first ahead of all else, the most one could say is that they really, really suck at implementing such an agenda.

bchris02
02-26-2014, 11:41 AM
I don't understand how the 18-34 year old demographic can be so undecided in this race, given that Cornett has done so much to improve the quality of life and appeal of Oklahoma City for this age group. Cornett should be receiving every single one of these votes. I hear on a daily basis from people in this age range that they love what OKC has become and, for those who live in other cities, they can't wait to move here.

The 18-34 demographic is very enticed by Shadid's liberal position on social issues. Most Shadid voters I have spoken with are voting for him because they support gay rights and a woman's right to choose. They know little of his actual policies and vision for the city.

warreng88
02-26-2014, 11:45 AM
Who is this "Junta" I keep seeing referenced? Is that Shadid's coke dealer? Is that the new Heisenberg?

CaptDave
02-26-2014, 12:07 PM
The 18-34 demographic is very enticed by Shadid's liberal position on social issues. Most Shadid voters I have spoken with are voting for him because they support gay rights and a woman's right to choose. They know little of his actual policies and vision for the city.

If that is their primary reason for supporting Ed over Mick, you may want to show them this endorsement for Mayor Cornett (will try to get direct link for you, but if you are on facebook, search "Progressives for Mayor Cornett"):

From Jim Roth
On March 4, We Pick Mick!

We are proud citizens of the City of Oklahoma City who strongly support Mayor Mick Cornett. We are also business owners, taxpayers and your neighbors who believe in our City and all its citizens. As members of Oklahoma City’s gay and lesbian community, we offer our endorsement for Mayor Mick Cornett.

We support MAPS and the continuation of the renaissance of Oklahoma City that began with MAPS. We well remember the time when our city was divided, struggling to get past the economic and social stagnation that gripped us.

Thanks to the vision of unity started by then Mayor Ron Norick and continued by Mayor Mick Cornett, our city has built considerable momentum to move us all forward. Today, under Mayor Cornett’s leadership, our City has one of the strongest economies in the nation and is more welcoming and inclusive than at any time in our history:

* “Top Ten Best Cities for Millennials” (Source: Huffington Post and 24/7 Wall Street – June 2012),
* “No 1 Best Place to Launch a Business” (Source: Kauffman Foundation, 2010),
* “No 1 City for Job Creation” (Source: Gallup, March 2012),
* “No 1 City for Economic Strength” (Source: The Business Journals, November 2012), and most recently
* “No 4 Most Aspirational City” (Source: The Daily Beast, February 2014).

Mayor Cornett is a proven leader. He has worked tirelessly to build consensus on issues important to our City. He works across party lines for our common good transcending racial, ethnic, religious and sexual orientation barriers. He has made our City a healthier, more prosperous place for every citizen including those in the LGBT community.

We believe our City is headed in the right direction, yet we must continue to progress. We believe Mayor Cornett’s proven leadership will continue that unity, that momentum, and the forward-thinking that has gotten us to this point. His record has earned another term as our mayor.

If you agree, please join us, show your support and pick Mick on March 4th!

Respectfully,
Aaron Barton
John Martin Beebe
Jim Benson
Jim Busenbark
C Lizz Caywood
Gene Goforth
Sally Hasenfratz
Scotty Irani
Lionel Loveless
Monty Milburn
Jane Ann Norris
Richard Ogden
Sandra Precure
Greg Pruitt
Jeff Riles
Nancy Love Robertson
Jim Roth
Jeremy Salazar
Joe Sangirardi
JB Schuelein
Curt Stamp
Anne Zachritz

Richard at Remax
02-26-2014, 12:13 PM
Wayne Coyne gave his endorsement for Mick in the Gazette. Mick should drop the mic after that

betts
02-26-2014, 12:13 PM

And Mick Cornett voted for the anti-discrimination policy for LGTB city employees. Are people so politically unaware (being generous with my wording here) that they don't even know that mayors have no control over a woman's right to choose? Those are probably the same people who think Ed's going to cure poverty and mental illness and revamp the education system. I'm thinking that, like citizenship, you should have to pass a civics test to be allowed to vote. I do not want people who vote for someone because they have a nice smile or a soft voice or make impossible promises determining who is going to be in charge of my city. Gah.

Of Sound Mind
02-26-2014, 12:17 PM
Are people so politically unaware (being generous with my wording here) that they don't even know that mayors have no control over a woman's right to choose?
Unfortunately, in far too many instances, yes.

bchris02
02-26-2014, 12:18 PM
And Mick Cornett voted for the anti-discrimination policy for LGTB city employees. Are people so politically unaware (being generous with my wording here) that they don't even know that mayors have no control over a woman's right to choose? Those are probably the same people who think Ed's going to cure poverty and mental illness and revamp the education system. I'm thinking that, like citizenship, you should have to pass a civics test to be allowed to vote. I do not want people who vote for someone because they have a nice smile or a soft voice or make impossible promises determining who is going to be in charge of my city. Gah.

I agree. Those who I am referring to voting for Ed because of social issues are extremely politically unaware. I always am sure to tell them that Ed does not have OKC's best interests at heart, and that social issues are completely irrelevant in positions like mayor of OKC.

Edgar
02-26-2014, 12:31 PM
Mick is hoping people are politically unaware and didn't see his tv spots blowing the dog whistle for the religious bigots when he ran for congress. Is this a conversion or political expedience for Mick. I'm going with the latter. he probably market tested it.

Jim Kyle
02-26-2014, 12:33 PM
Anyone with half a brain can see right through Shadid. Nothing to worry about here.Unfortunately your constraint fails to apply to a majority of American voters. Hopefully, though, OKC voters are better than the national average...

Dustin
02-26-2014, 12:37 PM
I'm thinking that, like citizenship, you should have to pass a civics test to be allowed to vote. I do not want people who vote for someone because they have a nice smile or a soft voice or make impossible promises determining who is going to be in charge of my city. Gah.

Like this guy from News 9's facebook post about the 2 candidates:

http://i.imgur.com/UJbt3v6.png

He then goes on to say that he wont vote for Mick because he didn't personally help save his business... And that got quite a few likes... All you can do is facepalm

betts
02-26-2014, 12:38 PM
Mick is hoping people are politically unaware and didn't see his tv spots blowing the dog whistle for the religious bigots when he ran for congress. Is this a conversion or political expedience for Mick. I'm going with the latter. he probably market tested it.

Kind of like Ed and OCPAC, the High Noon Club, the atheists (while spouting "God" talk on his web page) and any other group he tries to sucker for votes? I think the pot is calling the kettle black here.

warreng88
02-26-2014, 12:39 PM

And Ed is hoping people are not seeing the flyer he posted when running for city council stating "MAPS-3 should be completed as it was promised to the voters".

CaptDave
02-26-2014, 12:41 PM
I remember those ads and they were typical boilerplate Oklahoma conservative for sure. Flag burning and prayer in schools are not pressing matters in the city. But in light of Mayor Cornett's subsequent actions I think it is pretty clear his positions have shifted at least as far as official policy is concerned. If all he had done is talk about some sort of epiphany on the side of the road......oh wait wrong candidate.

Mayor Cornett supported the equal benefits resolution for LGBT city employees. If he were still "blowing the dog whistle" and was seeking political expedience, I doubt he would have supported that resolution because if he decides to seek state or national office in the future, you can bet that vote will be used against him. The mayor also received a ringing endorsement from several prominent LGBT community members earlier today. But I suppose you skipped past that one.

Bellaboo
02-26-2014, 01:29 PM
Edgar = Ed

The spew is the same...

Midtowner
02-26-2014, 01:32 PM
The problem with Shadid is his campaign started with a bizarre rant in the NewsOK comments section by the candidate himself. He then did a 180 on virtually everything which won him his council seat. He then tried to triangulate between groups who have, in the past been absolute failures both working alone and alongside one another.

As far as running for anything else, let's consider his resume:

1) Former Green Party Candidate;
2) Former champion of disaffected voters;
3) Former champion of the Tea Party;
4) Former champion of public unions.

He has no cohesive brand. He obviously is a political chameleon who says what he thinks he needs to say to get elected. He's a wealthy guy who is spending his own money and playing politics. He's playing games and the rest of us have to deal with the consequences.

Midtowner
02-26-2014, 01:33 PM
Edgar = Ed

The spew is the same...

I don't think so. The Edgar account was here long before the campaigning started and has voiced interests in a number of areas including, IIRC, tribal sovereignty.

LandRunOkie
02-26-2014, 01:39 PM
All the back office corruption that gets so widely criticized on this board will stay the same if Mick gets reelected. The delayed construction projects, including project 180 - that is a result of corruption. The secretive proposed redesign of the Civic Center park - that is an example of Larry Nichols buying influence with Mick Cornett. The limited borders of the downtown elementary, meant to exclude many low income families from being able to attend, in favor of the more expensive areas of downtown attractive to oil company employees - that was facilitated by Mick Cornett. I helped get the boundary changed but there is only so much one person can do. A vote for Cornett is a vote for status quo - a status quo of apathy, arrogrance, and corruption.

SoonerDave
02-26-2014, 01:41 PM
I don't think so. The Edgar account was here long before the campaigning started and has voiced interests in a number of areas including, IIRC, tribal sovereignty.

Agree - used to suspect the same thing, but it's not very likely.

Bellaboo
02-26-2014, 01:43 PM
Like this guy from News 9's facebook post about the 2 candidates:

http://i.imgur.com/UJbt3v6.png

He then goes on to say that he wont vote for Mick because he didn't personally help save his business... And that got quite a few likes... All you can do is facepalm

This is the type of 'half brain' person i'm talking about......they are among us, but not in the majority.

Bellaboo
02-26-2014, 01:46 PM

I remember him fussing about the water rights of the tribes...... but there's a whole lot of repetitive conjecture between the two... or maybe just one.
He's like a damned programmed robot that won't shut up.

Edgar joined in July of 2011. Is that around the time Ed showed up ?

LakeEffect
02-26-2014, 01:50 PM
All the back office corruption that gets so widely criticized on this board will stay the same if Mick gets reelected. The delayed construction projects, including project 180 - that is a result of corruption. The secretive proposed redesign of the Civic Center park - that is an example of Larry Nichols buying influence with Mick Cornett. The limited borders of the downtown elementary, meant to exclude many low income families from being able to attend, in favor of the more expensive areas of downtown attractive to oil company employees - that was facilitated by Mick Cornett. I helped get the boundary changed but there is only so much one person can do. A vote for Cornett is a vote for status quo - a status quo of apathy, arrogrance, and corruption.

Corruption is no small claim. And you have no basis of fact for leveling such accusations.

Midtowner
02-26-2014, 01:58 PM

Just stop.

1) The park snafu was quite public: Oklahoma City's Civic Center park makeover challenged | News OK (http://newsok.com/oklahoma-citys-civic-center-park-makeover-challenged/article/3642367) and just looked like a bunch of administrative hoohah between different departments. Looking at the proposed new design, I'm going to say it's a huge improvement.

2) The new charter school will be a charter school. A charter school can accept students two ways--first come/first serve and a lottery. The state law says that you can't have geographical boundaries unless it is to serve lower income areas. So that's just not correct.

3) If what's happening in this city is the result of Larry Nichols buying influence with the mayor, I hope he buys more.

LandRunOkie
02-26-2014, 02:18 PM
1) The park snafu was quite public: Oklahoma City's Civic Center park makeover challenged | News OK (http://newsok.com/oklahoma-citys-civic-center-park-makeover-challenged/article/3642367) and just looked like a bunch of administrative hoohah between different departments..
Renaming withdrawn for Civic Center park in Oklahoma City | News OK (http://newsok.com/renaming-withdrawn-for-civic-center-park-in-oklahoma-city/article/3663319)
Since I've indulged you with some proof, I've a question for you. What have you done to improve the city, or is it enough to post clever comments and waft in the good vibes of another oil and gas boom?

Bellaboo
02-26-2014, 02:25 PM
When it comes to age, Cornett seems to get most of his support from voters over the age of 50, but he also tops Shadid in younger demographics. One in three 18 to 34-year-olds prefer Cornett over Shadid, although that age category also had the highest number of undecided voters at 17 percent, according to the poll. Three out of four voters who are 65 and older prefer

This is an incorrect statement in the Gazette, unless their graph is wrong. Or it is just poorly written. In the graph, it has 33 for Cornett, 13 for Shadid and 54 = other. The sentence prior to the one I've bolded, states that Cornett carries the younger crowd.......this is a confusing paragraph.

Midtowner
02-26-2014, 02:34 PM
Renaming withdrawn for Civic Center park in Oklahoma City | News OK (http://newsok.com/renaming-withdrawn-for-civic-center-park-in-oklahoma-city/article/3663319)
Since I've indulged you with some proof, I've a question for you. What have you done to improve the city, or is it enough to post clever comments and waft in the good vibes of another oil and gas boom?

Where I make the most impact in a volunteer capacity is representing children who have been taken from their parents for neglect or abuse reasons in our juvenile justice system pro bono. Does that improve the city? I can't say. But commenting here and challenging misinformation I think also improves this city. A lot more folks lurk this forum than post and to many, this is the best source of information out there for municipal items outside of the Council meetings posted on OKC.gov.

I do consider it a public service, for example, when you just came in here and blabbed about the downtown charter school having boundaries, I know for a fact that you're wrong. State law forbids that. But that doesn't slow you down at all, now you're attacking me? Just admit you were wrong, you received a bit of an education today for free, maybe even thank me for it.

LandRunOkie
02-26-2014, 02:54 PM
I do consider it a public service, for example, when you just came in here and blabbed about the downtown charter school having boundaries, I know for a fact that you're wrong. State law forbids that.
There are in fact boundaries for the charter school, which you can see in the PDF I posted in the appropriate thread. Merely understanding the letter of the law does very little to correct injustice, especially in the realm of politics, where very little can be enforced. Your self-righteousness has no positive impact. Speaking truth to power does, which is what I do, and what Shadid does.

Midtowner
02-26-2014, 03:22 PM
Charter schools have to take all comers from their school district. Now, where it's going to get hairy is that they have to give preference to folks from OKC. I don't think that's going to be a huge deal. It isn't with other charters because the OKC schools don't fill 'em up. Everyone has to follow the law and here it is:

OSCN Found Document:Eligible Students - Discrimination (http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/DeliverDocument.asp?CiteID=104641)

And I don't care how politically connected someone is, that's the law and as a lawyer, I can tell you a court will enforce that.

PennyQuilts
02-26-2014, 03:25 PM
Lot of people may be reluctant to publicly back Shadid being that he likes to smoke crack with gay prostitutes.

This particular line just strikes me as hysterical considering all the political infighting about respecting gays, legalizing drugs and the notion that we should all respect hookers as victims. Based on what I'm seeing on the political forum, this guy is GOLDEN if you are liberal!! ;)

Jeepnokc
02-26-2014, 03:27 PM
There are not boundaries but there is an attendance zone which has to do with enrollment priority given higher priority to those within the zone. Here is the info cut and pasted directly from www.johnrexschool.com (http://www.johnrexschool.com/)

Priority Levels:

First

A child who resides within the attendance boundaries for the school will have first priority for enrollment. Students residing within the John Rex Elementary attendance boundaries that choose to attend another Oklahoma City Public School may apply for an intra-district transfer through the OKCPS Administration Office.

Second

A child who resides outside the attendance boundaries for John Rex Elementary but within the Oklahoma City Public School district boundaries. Enrollment preference will be given to eligible transfer students based on class size capacity, program availability, and/or educational needs of the student.

Third

A child who resides outside the Oklahoma City Public School district and whose parent, guardian or other person with legal custody is employed within the attendance boundaries.

Fourth

A child who resides outside the district and whose parent, guardian or other person with legal custody is NOT employed within the attendance boundaries.

If the number of eligible students applying for admission exceeds the capacity of the school, a lottery shall be held within the priority level that is oversubscribed to select the students within that priority level that will be admitted to the school.

Also...just realized off topic but not changing it as it was a pain to cut and paste over.

PennyQuilts
02-26-2014, 03:28 PM

Good illustration of how the young often don't have anything to compare so they don't realize how much things have changed/improved.

Midtowner
02-26-2014, 03:39 PM
At any rate, Shadid can continue his crusade for awesomesauce bus stops from his Ward 2 seat... well... until basically everyone who helped him win it the first time turns around and takes that from him too.

Bellaboo
02-26-2014, 03:41 PM
There are in fact boundaries for the charter school, which you can see in the PDF I posted in the appropriate thread. Merely understanding the letter of the law does very little to correct injustice, especially in the realm of politics, where very little can be enforced. Your self-righteousness has no positive impact. ShadidSpeaking truth to power does, which is what I do, and what does.

Shadid speaking the Truth ? He's a proven Liar, and no argument can be made that he's not. You can not trust him. Why would someone vote for a liar ?

PennyQuilts
02-26-2014, 09:20 PM
Hmm. I am kind of surprised that there seems to be so many people in Cornett's camp who are making passionate anti Shadid comments rather than passionate pro Cornett comments. I personally don't think this is a race where people, in large numbers, are going to throw their vote to Cornett because they are turned off by Shadid. It's not really that kind of race. I just don't think people, in large numbers, are going to vote for Shadid because they just didn't realize he was such a horrible man.

soonerguru
02-26-2014, 09:27 PM
Hmm. I am kind of surprised that there seems to be so many people in Cornett's camp who are making passionate anti Shadid comments rather than passionate pro Cornett comments. I personally don't think this is a race where people, in large numbers, are going to throw their vote to Cornett because they are turned off by Shadid. It's not really that kind of race. I just don't think people, in large numbers, are going to vote for Shadid because they just didn't realize he was such a horrible man.

I can't speak for others, but I've made many passionate appeals for the mayor. But his style is such that he just isn't a dramatic figure. He's very rational and smart and competent and visionary but he doesn't engender a fanatic-type response from his supporters. That doesn't mean they're not fired up for his reelection.

As for Shadid, he has brought a lot of this on himself.

Plutonic Panda
02-26-2014, 09:28 PM
plupan, I like your enthusiasm and understand your thinking but that really isn't appropriate.ljbab, this guy has been sitting here for months now repeating the same thing over and over again doing nothing but spewing out this made up crap that is used only by people that want to spread lies and propaganda against Mick. It needs be said. It's one thing if you're going to give your opinion on something, but all this guy does is lie, I mean seriously! That post will likely get deleted, but I don't understand how Edgar has just sat here and spewed this crap over and over. When you look at his name and what he is responding to, you can almost pretty much predict what he is going to say or if you just read his post without looking at the user, you can already guarantee who it is.

BTW, this is coming from someone who isn't 100% opposed to Shadid and I've actually stuck up for Shadid a couple times as I believe Shadid really does want to do good for the city and isn't just trying to get in for power, but I don't think he would take us in the right direction and I think Mick is the best choice. I am also very intrigued by a previous posters idea for Mick to run for governor, I think he could do wonders for this state.

ljbab728
02-26-2014, 09:31 PM
Hmm. I am kind of surprised that there seems to be so many people in Cornett's camp who are making passionate anti Shadid comments rather than passionate pro Cornett comments.

That doesn't surprise me at all PQ. Shadid can be a very polarizing figure so he naturally invites passionate comments. I like Mick very much and think he's doing a very good job overall, but he has never been someone I got passionate about. He just doesn't normally evoke those kind of comments. With that said, I will vote for Mick because I think he will do the best job in advancing our city, period.

Plutonic Panda
02-26-2014, 09:38 PM
Mick is hoping people are politically unawareMick has gone door to door trying to spread the word of what is going on and to try and get voters. I even heard Mick say(with my own two ears) he things Ed Shadid has good in his heart but isn't what is right for this city. I have never heard of him directly attacking Shadid in any negative way(maybe he has and I don't know it). I mean seriously, Mick has helped turn this city around more than you, I, or perhaps even he knows. He has played a huge part in this cities success and we wouldn't be anywhere near what we are without him.

and didn't see his tv spots blowing the dog whistle for the religious bigots when he ran for congress.and what the hell does that even mean?

Plutonic Panda
02-26-2014, 09:40 PM
Is this a conversion or political expedience for Mick. I'm going with the latter. he probably market tested it.seriously, what is this crap? are you just putting random words together and hoping you sound smart? He probably market tested it? He market tested conversion or political expedience? Ok......