View Full Version : Sunday Blues

Pete
02-23-2014, 06:22 PM
Does anyone else get a little melancholy on Sundays, especially in the late afternoon and evening??

I never really thought about it until a girlfriend noticed I always became a bit moody on Sundays.

It's strange because I always loved school and have been fortunate to love most my jobs, so I usually look forward to starting a new week. But I suppose not far below the surface is also a little bit of dread thinking about everything that has to get done, etc.

For a while, I tried to keep myself really busy with friends and social stuff on Sunday nights but that didn't really work, because I'd start to get anxious about needing to get home and get my act together for the next day.

And I still feel that way even though I am essentially self-employed and certainly set my own schedule.

Strange how my life had changed immensely at various times but these feelings have stayed relatively consistent.

RadicalModerate
02-23-2014, 07:02 PM
Kris Kristofferson wrote a hit song about this tiny mystery of life.
(except he focused more on Sunday Morning rather than Sunday afternoon and evening)

One solution might be to get involved with a local, non-denominational Christian Church.
Sometimes it helps make the entire rest of the week better.

ylouder
02-23-2014, 07:32 PM
Happens to me about 2-3pm on Sunday's.

Achilleslastand
02-23-2014, 07:36 PM
I can understand this completely...
No Football to watch on Sun and its still to early to do any lawn mowing/weed control =boring.

Dustin
02-23-2014, 07:45 PM
I love Sundays. I call it Funday Sunday.

I don't go to church, so I love to get out of the house in the morning and get all my errands done. The roads are clear and the stores empty!

RadicalModerate
02-23-2014, 07:46 PM
Happens to me about 2-3pm on Sunday's.

For many people that is "Nap Time" =)
Back in the day, when I felt that sort of "scheduling angst" I'd take a ride on the City Bus down to the library and peruse whatever. Yes, where I grew up the Public Library was open on Sunday. Even in the winter when the snow was knee-deep.

Ironically, today, one of my favorite Sunday activities is to tune into The Weekend Blues on some local NPR Station, during breaks, on account of I usually have to work on Sundays.

Prunepicker
02-23-2014, 08:00 PM
Does anyone else get a little melancholy on Sundays, especially in the late
afternoon and evening?
I'm almost always melancholy and I've never seen it as a problem. Maybe
because I get to play the Blues on Friday and Saturday. Not sure.

Personally, I don't hang out very often. The OKC Talk get togethers are one
of the exceptions. Biker rallys, if Prunette is riding, are another. I'm good
with sitting at home with my faithful Lab and writing arrangements.

Pete
02-23-2014, 08:27 PM
I didn't mean to imply I get profoundly depressed... Just a little blue, which is not like me.

It seems to be relatively common, even among people who don't have to go to work or school on Mondays.

I feel the same way after the holidays... Always a little sad they are over as you head into the dead of winter.

bradh
02-23-2014, 08:52 PM
My wife and I both always experience this, although not every Sunday and not always at the sme time.

mkjeeves
02-23-2014, 09:28 PM
I used to, more so in the evening too. Not so much any more. Especially if I wring out the day as I usually do.

This won't cheer you up but it's what I think of when I think about the Sunday blues.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ED5s1-Fe9FA

kevinpate
02-23-2014, 10:14 PM
If I'm not all wrapped up in something for a Monday am project, on Sunday afternoons I'm a lot like that lil' baby in that insurance commercial - yaaawn, nap time being callin' my name!

Urbanized
02-24-2014, 07:52 AM
First I've seen of this thread, but I see that more than one person beat me to "Sunday Morning Coming Down". A lot of country PERFORMERS (not necessarily fans) will tell you that the Johnny Cash version is the greatest country song ever performed.

My theory on the Sunday afternoon melancholy thing is that we so often build up weekends in our mind to be something incredibly important - with Fridays and Saturdays brimming with optimism - and not only do they rarely EXCEED our expectation, they often don't even meet them. I think Sunday afternoon is generally when the realization sets in, sometimes tempered with the regret associated with knowing weekends are a limited commodity, and you'll never get that one back.

Dennis Heaton
02-24-2014, 08:10 AM
I get that way when the most important event of the year goes into a 6 hour rain delay. Congrates D.E., Jr.!

Pete
02-24-2014, 08:12 AM
My theory on the Sunday afternoon melancholy thing is that we so often build up weekends in our mind to be something incredibly important - with Fridays and Saturdays brimming with optimism - and not only do they rarely EXCEED our expectation, they often don't even meet them. I think Sunday afternoon is generally when the realization sets in, sometimes tempered with the regret associated with knowing weekends are a limited commodity, and you'll never get that one back.

Well observed!

I've noticed I have this pattern in general, where I get very excited about something then sad when it's over: a trip, the holidays, etc.

RadicalModerate
02-24-2014, 08:22 AM
I think, as has been implied already, a lot of this has to do with the failure of reality to meet expectations. Sometimes mixed with "fear" or "dread" of having to get back on the treadmill the next day. I had a job for several years that wore me out, emotionally, and at mid-afternoon, Sunday that dread of facing trying to roll a dozen less than responsive "stones" up the hill, again, set in. (that was a metaphorical reference to attempting to teach a group of "at risk youth" something about carpentry, job-keeping skills, and life in general with the axe of un-meetable "goals" constantly hanging over one's neck.) But that was then and this is now. Way less "fear" and "dread" involved with the current paid employment. =)

RadicalModerate
02-24-2014, 10:01 AM
I used to, more so in the evening too. Not so much any more. Especially if I wring out the day as I usually do.

This won't cheer you up but it's what I think of when I think about the Sunday blues.

Not to detour too far from the topic (but): That was one of the top ten records ever made. Not just that song. The entire album. It chases away MY blues . . .

Dennis Heaton
02-24-2014, 10:30 AM
I've noticed I have this pattern in general, where I get very excited about something then sad when it's over: a trip, the holidays, etc.

Kinda like leaving a Strip Club alone?:)

onthestrip
02-24-2014, 10:54 AM
I love Sundays. I call it Funday Sunday.

I don't go to church, so I love to get out of the house in the morning and get all my errands done. The roads are clear and the stores empty!

Im the same way, dont go to church so it allows me to have a flexible and relaxing day. It probably is my favorite day of the week. Granted I dont like the fact that I have to go back to work the next day but Sunday mornings are great for reading the paper, maybe watching some of the news shows, possibly some brunch and then Sunday evenings are great for catching up on the DVR.

catcherinthewry
02-24-2014, 11:07 AM
Kinda like leaving a Strip Club alone?:)

Or worse yet, not leaving a Strip Club alone.

mkjeeves
02-24-2014, 11:32 AM
First I've seen of this thread, but I see that more than one person beat me to "Sunday Morning Coming Down". A lot of country PERFORMERS (not necessarily fans) will tell you that the Johnny Cash version is the greatest country song ever performed.

I think you are spot on. After I posted last night that I used to have more problems with it than I do now I started wondering why and what has changed. Part has to do that over time I really make an effort to get things I desire to do done on Sunday. I might be lazy on Saturday, rest, procrastinate, but if so, when Sunday comes, I get moving. Some of that is I know I'm going to regret having lost the weekend if I don't. The other part, it always makes me feel better to get moving, get some exercise, work on things that interest me and make myself tired at the end of the day. (There are other factors in my situation that come to play, like changes in my perception of my work and self. A longer more involved subject that may or may not be farther down the ladder of relevance.)

The other thing that came to mind though, is how much physiology might play a role. I don't get drunk on Saturday night and wake up to a bleak Sunday morning (anymore.) As I get older I tend to follow the same eat, sleep, intake, outtake on Saturday and Sunday as I do the rest of the week. I do know that when I get a lot of extra sleep, or stay up late and then nap on Sunday, my brain is going to be in a different place on Sunday afternoon and evening than when I follow the regular routine. Perhaps part of the common feelings are do to brain chemistry changes from the weekend schedule shifts many of us have in common.

Urbanized
02-24-2014, 03:01 PM
I had to do a double-take on procrastinate. I thought at first you said procreate, which is ALSO a popular Sunday activity for some...

Regarding sleep, I'm in agreement for sure. Unless something like a rare Friday or Saturday night Thunder game and cocktails after kept me out late, I usually always wake up at roughly the same time I do during the week (MAYBE sleeping in a half-hour at the most). But... ...I don't shy away from a weekend nap or two.

PennyQuilts
02-24-2014, 07:03 PM
I don't know about everyone else but, to me, all the days of the week have their own feel. I've often mentioned to my husband that, "This feels like a Friday," or words to that effect. I know what you are talking about on Sunday afternoon. I personally think a lot of that comes from staying up later on Friday and Saturday nights and it catches up on Sunday afternoon - especially if you had a bigger Sunday breakfast.

trousers
02-24-2014, 07:05 PM
Woke up last week thinking I am so glad it's Friday. This week is almost over. A blissful 15 seconds until the reality that it was Thursday sunk in.
The longest 2 days of my life.