View Full Version : Favorite Comedy?

Karried
08-05-2005, 08:31 PM
I'm always looking for great comedies ... I love a movie that makes me laugh.

Some of my favorites are:

Three Fugitives ( Martin Short & Nick Nolte) I'll never forget the wig scene!

Nothing to Lose ( Martin Lawrence & Tim Robbins)

Christmas Vacation

Planes, Trains and Automobiles

What are some of yours so I can hit the video store?

Curt
08-05-2005, 09:42 PM
How about The Money Pit, with Tom Hanks ( it's about my house)
Escanaba in Da Moonlight, with Jeff Daniels, of course you will laugh at this one, it is kinda of a Northern Michigan humor about Yoopers ( people that live in the upper penninsula), we call dem yoopers, eh.

terrared
08-05-2005, 10:13 PM
I love most Adam Sandler movies (except Punch Drunk Love). WaterBoy, The Wedding Singer and Big Daddy are some of my all-time favs.

Curt
08-05-2005, 10:16 PM
Ohhhhh, Cant forget Something about Mary, man that one had me rolling.

Intrepid
08-06-2005, 01:08 AM
One of my all time favs is Airplane!

- "Have you ever seen a grown man naked?"

PUGalicious
08-07-2005, 06:55 AM
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Monty Python's Holy Grail
Austin Powers (1, 2 and 3)

Karried
08-07-2005, 10:13 AM
Mariner, I rented Something About Mary - omg - I had forgotten how funny Ben Stiller was! The braces just killed me! Thanks for reminding me, it had been so long... Airplane is a classic - very funny.

Does anyone watch ( or used to watch ) Dame Edna on BBC? That is one of my all time favorite shows.

pdjr
08-07-2005, 12:46 PM
Dog Show and Waiting for Guffman are on my list. So are Caddyshack, Office Space and Rat Race. "We came in a rocket car."

pdjr
08-07-2005, 12:48 PM
Does anyone watch ( or used to watch ) Dame Edna on BBC? That is one of my all time favorite shows.

I've had a long standing date with Sunday evening British comedy. Keeping Up Appearances with Hyacinth Bucket is another PBS Sunday night winner.

Curt
08-07-2005, 04:49 PM
Mariner, I rented Something About Mary - omg - I had forgotten how funny Ben Stiller was! The braces just killed me! Thanks for reminding me, it had been so long... Airplane is a classic - very funny.

Karrie, there are so many funny parts to that movie it's hard to pick just one. Ben Stiller is good in about anything he does, glad you went out and rented it.

Intrepid
08-07-2005, 05:17 PM
Karrie, there are so many funny parts to that movie it's hard to pick just one. Ben Stiller is good in about anything he does, glad you went out and rented it.

I was flipping the channels last night and Airplane! was on. I caught the last 30 minutes.

"I picked the wrong day to stop sniffing glue."

:tweeted:

Curt
08-07-2005, 05:36 PM
I was flipping the channels last night and Airplane! was on. I caught the last 30 minutes.

"I picked the wrong day to stop sniffing glue."

Airplane was hillarious, I am going to have to rent it again when I get some down time. Leslie Neilson cracks me up. How he can be so funny and keep a straight face while doing it.

Intrepid
08-07-2005, 05:38 PM
He was a serious actor for 20 years before Airplane!

It's funny how he's now considered a comedic actor.

"I am serious, and don't call me Shirley."

Curt
08-07-2005, 05:40 PM
Thats right, he did do some serious parts didn't he, I just cant remember what they were right now.

karlanee
08-08-2005, 09:51 AM
Along Came Polly was another good one from Ben Stiller.

Oh Brother, Where Art Thou.

Office Space (yeah...I'm gonna need you to come in on Saturday...)

I found a website list that has a couple hundred titles of comedy movies. It might spark your interest in something.

http://www.listology.com/content_show.cfm/content_id.16813

floater
08-08-2005, 11:10 AM
Thanks for the list karlanee. Jeez, it's like picking your favorite child. They satisfy you for different reasons.

For writing and direction, the Pixar movies are great - Toy Story 2

For sheer comedy, Robin Williams' bits - Aladdin (as the Genie)

For hitting my sweet spot - You've Got Mail

Scribe, Ferris Bueller's Day Off was the coming-of-age movie for me. Great shots of Chicago too.

Uptowner
08-10-2005, 09:48 AM
Any of the Ace Ventura movies.

kahloist
08-10-2005, 04:22 PM
the remake of Rat Race, with Whoopi Goldberg, John Cleese, Seth Green, and many more. It was hilarious

fromdust
08-10-2005, 06:39 PM
you guys beat me to a lot of these funny movies.
i saw this one in the theater, but it just came out on dvd. KUNG FU HUSTLE. this one was directed and stars stephen chow. sooo funny, awesome. go rent this one.

Intrepid
08-10-2005, 08:08 PM
you guys beat me to a lot of these funny movies.
i saw this one in the theater, but it just came out on dvd. KUNG FU HUSTLE. this one was directed and stars stephen chow. sooo funny, awesome. go rent this one.

I still want to see that. I figured it was like Kung Pow: Legend of the Fist, which is hilarious!

Intrepid
08-10-2005, 08:08 PM
Any of the Ace Ventura movies.

"Alllllllllllrighty then!"

Intrepid
08-10-2005, 08:09 PM
Thanks for the list karlanee. Jeez, it's like picking your favorite child. They satisfy you for different reasons.

For writing and direction, the Pixar movies are great - Toy Story 2

For sheer comedy, Robin Williams' bits - Aladdin (as the Genie)

For hitting my sweet spot - You've Got Mail

Scribe, Ferris Bueller's Day Off was the coming-of-age movie for me. Great shots of Chicago too.

I am a HUGE Robin Williams fan. Aladdin is one of my all time favs.

karlanee
08-10-2005, 08:11 PM
I love Robin Williams as well. Mrs. Doubtfire was probably my favorite movie of his. We caught his interview on Inside the Actor's Studio - my sides hurt so bad from laughing after that. He is definitely a poster child for hyperactivity!! LOL

Can you imagine being married to him or having him as your dad? Yikes!!

Intrepid
08-10-2005, 08:17 PM
I love Robin Williams as well. Mrs. Doubtfire was probably my favorite movie of his. We caught his interview on Inside the Actor's Studio - my sides hurt so bad from laughing after that. He is definitely a poster child for hyperactivity!! LOL

Can you imagine being married to him or having him as your dad? Yikes!!

I saw that show too! In fact, I had stored on my DVR for months and then it got erased. I watched it MANY MANY times before that. I often list him as my favorite actor, because he has proven he can do it all (comedy, drama, psycho, etc.) I think my favorites of his are in this order: Dead Poets Society, Mrs. Doubtfire, Good Will Hunting

:tiphat:

karlanee
08-10-2005, 08:26 PM
Good Will Hunting was such a powerful movie. Loved it!! Lots of kleenexes on that one.

"Do you like fruit?" - great line!

floater
08-10-2005, 08:26 PM
Yeah, Robin Williams has no match. You just put him on an empty stage, and he'll have you gasping for air. I saw that Inside the Actors studio episode too -- one of the funniest hours I've seen on TV. Speaking of Aladdin, they say that animation was the perfect medium for Robin to do his thing, because it can change shapes quickly, unlike live action film.

floater
08-10-2005, 08:32 PM
Good Will Hunting was such a powerful movie. Loved it!! Lots of kleenexes on that one.

"Do you like fruit?" - great line!

I was sooo happy Robin won the best supporting actor oscar for that movie. He deserved it. That monologue he delivered on the park bench with Matt Damon is my favorite scene. Some great lines. They were written by Damon and Affleck, but he knocked them out of the ballpark.

floater
08-10-2005, 08:38 PM
[QUOTE=Intrepid] (comedy, drama, psycho, etc.) [QUOTE]

I'm a sucker for comedians who go serious (Tom Hanks, Jim Carrey, Steve Martin). Williams has a dark side that he likes exploring. One Hour Photo was positively creepy.

karlanee
08-10-2005, 08:41 PM
I didn't see that, but I do agree with the comedians who go serious. I have a soft spot for them too.

I love Tom Hanks and all his movies. Of course, I liked him when he was with Peter Scolari in Bosom Buddies. I don't think I've seen any of his movies that I've not gotten teary-eyed in. Doggonit.

One of my favorite Jim Carrey movies was The Truman Show. I liked Liar, Liar too.

Karried
08-10-2005, 09:27 PM
I love Robin Williams too! He is so funny, he just goes off on a tangent and he is such a genious! He makes me laugh so hard...

I wish I could find the show you are talking about, where can I get it? Inside the Actors Studio?

karlanee
08-10-2005, 09:35 PM
Karrie,

Inside the Actor's Studio runs on Bravo. It airs at 6pm on Sundays. A lot of times they'll do repeats of old shows.

http://www.bravotv.com/Inside_the_Actors_Studio/

gbyte
08-19-2005, 10:16 PM
Some of the ones I like but depending on my mood:

Office Space (it represents alot of my work life at times, lol)
Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels (don't get it if you don't like Brit humor)
Meet the Fockers

[classics]
What about Bob?
The Princess Bride
Monty Python & Holy Grail (of course it's on the "classics" list for comedy)
Short Circuit

(I know there's tons more but just can't think of 'em currently)

floater
08-20-2005, 07:03 AM
Monty Python & Holy Grail (of course it's on the "classics" list for comedy)

Have you heard about the Spamalot musical on Broadway? It has some great new tunes and is directed by Mike Nichols.

PUGalicious
08-20-2005, 07:04 AM
I really want to see that.

kahloist
09-26-2005, 07:13 AM
To Wong Fu, Thanks For Everything, Julie Newmar with Patrick Swayze, Wesley Snipes, and John Leguizamo make for hilarious faux females, and Rat Race with Seth Green, John Lovitz, Whoopi Goldberg, John Cleese, Kathy Bates, and many more is an incredibly funny movie.

drumsncode
10-22-2006, 09:42 AM
I caught some of Ghostbusters II yesterday which reminded me of all the wonderful lines in that movie.

Bill Murray, holding up the baby, "Did his father stink?"

Bill Murray, hosting the World of the Psychic, "So your alien had a room at the Holiday Inn...Paramus?"

Combine that with Monty Python and the Holy Grail, and you've probably got a lifetime of great lines to quote.

Ms.Relaxationstation
10-24-2006, 12:22 PM
Happy Gilmore is one of my favorite....

Happy to Bob Barker....." The Price is Wrong b***h"

and....

Raising Arizona

Store clerk to H.I when he's robbing the store..."Son, you got a pantie on your head"