View Full Version : She's Someone's Daughter

traxx
02-20-2014, 11:46 AM
Have you guys seen these billboards around the OKC? It has a picture of a woman with those words or words very similar (I'm going off memory here). What are these billboards advertising?

BTW, I didn't know where to put this subject, so mods feel free to move to a more appropriate place.

Bill Robertson
02-20-2014, 11:52 AM
They're put up by shessomebodysdaughter.org which is an anti-human trafficking, anti-sexual exploitation, etc. organization.

PennyQuilts
02-20-2014, 12:21 PM
It is an interesting/ironic twist that the modern day feminist goal is to not define a woman by her relationships (wife daughter, mother). The message sent to so many women is that we should not rely on our relationship to others in defining ourselves, rather, we should be stand alone beings.

And yet, to inspire a protective empathy by strangers, we are encouraged to see her through a loved one's eyes. There isn't really a conflict, here - I'm just noting the irony.

I wish more parents would stand up to protect their daughters (and sons) from sexual exploitation and have the support of the community as a whole. Too often, young women are objectified and they aren't immune to that anymore than anyone else is. If we treat women as if their sexual attractiveness is what makes them worthy, they will internalize that. We all accept society's messages about what makes us valuable. It is why grandmothers who hate to cook still try to make cookies.

traxx
02-20-2014, 12:41 PM
They're put up by shessomebodysdaughter.org which is an anti-human trafficking, anti-sexual exploitation, etc. organization.
It seems moving past the original, cryptic "She's Somebody's Daughter" billboards and into billboards that are more descriptive or tell us how to find out more might help in furhtering their cause. As the father of a little girl, I can empathize, but I had no idea what those signs were trying to tell me.

I wish more parents would stand up to protect their daughters (and sons) from sexual exploitation and have the support of the community as a whole. Too often, young women are objectified and they aren't immune to that anymore than anyone else is. If we treat women as if their sexual attractiveness is what makes them worthy, they will internalize that. We all accept society's messages about what makes us valuable. It is why grandmothers who hate to cook still try to make cookies.
I'm by no means an expert on human trafficking, but I've heard a few talks on the subject by those in law enforcement and anti-traifficking groups. I don't think it's a matter of parents not protecting their kids from sexual exploitation (for the most part). It's that these people prey on margenalized kids. They find a young girl who is a loner or doesn't have many friends and they'll have one of their "teenaged" girls befriend her and the margenalized girl is desperate for this kind of relationship. That teenager then introduces the loner girl to some of her "friends." They then get her using drugs and then begin to pull her further in to a point where she can't get out.

Part of the problem is society's lack of understanding with human trafficking. OKC metro is a big player in human trafficking because so many interstates meet here so there's easy ingress and egress from the area. I heard one lady from an anti-trafficking group talk and she said that they went to a truck stop and talked to a lot of truckers and the ones who didn't have sex with the girls still knew that it was happening and going on. When asked why they didn't call the authorities or help these girls their response was that they thought the girls were doing it under their own accord. They didn't understand how it worked. They didn't know the girls were there against their will and were threatened with beatings and death if they didn't get enough customers per night.

kevinpate
02-20-2014, 12:57 PM
I count myself a fan of the DADD shirts

Dads Against Daughters Dating
Shoot the first one and the word will spread

Just the facts
02-20-2014, 12:59 PM
I'm by no means an expert on human trafficking, but I've heard a few talks on the subject by those in law enforcement and anti-traifficking groups. I don't think it's a matter of parents not protecting their kids from sexual exploitation (for the most part). It's that these people prey on margenalized kids. They find a young girl who is a loner or doesn't have many friends and they'll have one of their "teenaged" girls befriend her and the margenalized girl is desperate for this kind of relationship. That teenager then introduces the loner girl to some of her "friends." They then get her using drugs and then begin to pull her further in to a point where she can't get out.

You mean kind of like this?

2014 Publicity Stunt Cover
http://a.abcnews.com/images/Entertainment/AP_barbie_sports_illustrated_sr_140212_16x9_992.jp g

2014 Real Cover
http://assets-s3.usmagazine.com/uploads/assets/article_photos/sports-illustrated-cover-467.jpg

PennyQuilts
02-20-2014, 01:20 PM
It seems moving past the original, cryptic "She's Somebody's Daughter" billboards and into billboards that are more descriptive or tell us how to find out more might help in furhtering their cause. As the father of a little girl, I can empathize, but I had no idea what those signs were trying to tell me.

Part of the problem is society's lack of understanding with human trafficking. OKC metro is a big player in human trafficking because so many interstates meet here so there's easy ingress and egress from the area. I heard one lady from an anti-trafficking group talk and she said that they went to a truck stop and talked to a lot of truckers and the ones who didn't have sex with the girls still knew that it was happening and going on. When asked why they didn't call the authorities or help these girls their response was that they thought the girls were doing it under their own accord. They didn't understand how it worked. They didn't know the girls were there against their will and were threatened with beatings and death if they didn't get enough customers per night.
That is kind of what I was saying - too many girls are allowing society to define what makes them worthy and parents are often swimming against the tide in terms of community support. Certain girls are in too deep before they realize it and society just shrugs it off. Commonplace to have whispers that dads who are "too" protective are a little hinky...

kelroy55
02-20-2014, 01:28 PM
That is kind of what I was saying - too many girls are allowing society to define what makes them worthy and parents are often swimming against the tide in terms of community support. Certain girls are in too deep before they realize it and society just shrugs it off. Commonplace to have whispers that dads who are "too" protective are a little hinky...

Hasn't it been that way for a long long time?

PennyQuilts
02-20-2014, 01:46 PM
Hasn't it been that way for a long long time?

Absolutely. Certainly in my lifetime and likely much longer.

Stan Silliman
02-20-2014, 03:19 PM
Is the ad effective or not?
There's another billboard with a confusing ad showing a woman with possibly a black eye... and a wad of bills.
Mixed message, possibly. Does having a wad of bills equate to a black eye? Or was she battered but still managed to cling to her money?
Or did someone pay her to beat her? The billboard doesn't clarify and you usually only have a few seconds to look at a billboard.

traxx
02-20-2014, 03:39 PM
There's another billboard with a confusing ad showing a woman with possibly a black eye... and a wad of bills.
Mixed message, possibly. Does having a wad of bills equate to a black eye? Or was she battered but still managed to cling to her money?
Or did someone pay her to beat her? The billboard doesn't clarify and you usually only have a few seconds to look at a billboard.

Exactly. When you're flying by at 70mph, you don't have much time to figure out an ad. They should be clear, straight to the point and not too wordy.

My guess would be that someone gave her a black eye and she sued their pants off and that's how she got the money.

jerrywall
02-20-2014, 04:45 PM
It seems like Brian has posted about this in the past, but I can't remember to what end.

Dubya61
02-21-2014, 12:37 PM
I know it's off topic somewhat, but the concept of sexism that PennyQuilts brings up interests me somewhat. It is rather sexist, isn't it? that the best defense we can mount against (female) human trafficking is that she is defined by her relationship to a male (a la chattel).
PennyQuilts: I watched the Tonight Show last night and Michelle Obama was on. She was also on the show-within-a-show: Eww!! I didn't stay up to watch the interview, but on Eww!!, she touted healthy snacks and exercise. In essence, she stayed true to her First Lady platform. As the father of two daughters, I thought it was funny (although not really all that ha-ha funny -- more like sad funny) that we expect First Ladies (and Miss Americas) to have a single message. They're OK, so long as they stay true to the message. Even Miss Americas only have to preach their message for one year. First Ladies have to preach the same lone message for four or even eight years. Meanwhile, we fully expect the men to have multiple agenda items and be successful across the spectrum. Sexism is very sneaky, isn't it? I know that there are a lot of factors that mold our expectations of a non-elected position that is mostly just baggage for the elected person. I wonder if male spouses of elected officials are expected / permitted to have a platform. It seems we hardly see Mr. Fallin, but then again, we hardly saw other Governor's spouses. To be completely honest, the most interesting thing about a potential President Hillary Clinton will be how we turn around and view the spouse (although, it STILL won't be the same thing as if the male spouse of a sitting president were never a political figure himself).

traxx
02-21-2014, 01:22 PM
I know it's off topic somewhat, but the concept of sexism that PennyQuilts brings up interests me somewhat. It is rather sexist, isn't it? that the best defense we can mount against (female) human trafficking is that she is defined by her relationship to a male (a la chattel).
PennyQuilts: I watched the Tonight Show last night and Michelle Obama was on. She was also on the show-within-a-show: Eww!! I didn't stay up to watch the interview, but on Eww!!, she touted healthy snacks and exercise. In essence, she stayed true to her First Lady platform. As the father of two daughters, I thought it was funny (although not really all that ha-ha funny -- more like sad funny) that we expect First Ladies (and Miss Americas) to have a single message. They're OK, so long as they stay true to the message. Even Miss Americas only have to preach their message for one year. First Ladies have to preach the same lone message for four or even eight years. Meanwhile, we fully expect the men to have multiple agenda items and be successful across the spectrum. Sexism is very sneaky, isn't it? I know that there are a lot of factors that mold our expectations of a non-elected position that is mostly just baggage for the elected person. I wonder if male spouses of elected officials are expected / permitted to have a platform. It seems we hardly see Mr. Fallin, but then again, we hardly saw other Governor's spouses. To be completely honest, the most interesting thing about a potential President Hillary Clinton will be how we turn around and view the spouse (although, it STILL won't be the same thing as if the male spouse of a sitting president were never a political figure himself).

You're looking for sexism in places where it doesn't exist.

Saying that she's somebody's daughter is a way to humanize her. It's more difficult to commit a crime against someone when you see them as a human. Like guys who look at child porography on the internet, they may just see her as a picture, an inanimate object, or they may see her as a whore. But if they relate to that picture and put someone they know or care about in the place of what they're looking at (a daughter, a sister etc.) then they're less likely to want to contribute to the exploitation of the child. If you get enough people declining to be a part of it, then there's less market for it and if there's less market then it'll happen less as the people who promote this exploitation will move on to something more financially lucrative. So relating her to a relation that most people are going to have some frame of reference for is going to have a more emtional bond than to put a billboard that says "She's somebody's pharmacist" or She's somebody's accountant."

Aso, you say she's defined by her relatinship to a male. Last I checked, women can have daughters too.

Just the facts
02-21-2014, 01:22 PM
It seems like Brian has posted about this in the past, but I can't remember to what end.

I think that was the SugarDaddy billboards.

BBatesokc
02-21-2014, 01:37 PM
...There's another billboard with a confusing ad showing a woman with possibly a black eye... and a wad of bills.

You mean this billboard?

http://johntv.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/ArrangementFinder-NeverForSale-Collage.jpg

It was a direct response to the ArrangementFinders.com billboard.

Maybe its just me, but the messages are pretty clear (in both boards).

As a matter of fact, our rebuttal billboard is being requested in other states. We make the graphics and the board itself available to other organizations.

kevinpate
02-21-2014, 01:54 PM
Just an fyi brian, but the link took me to a 404 page

PennyQuilts
02-21-2014, 02:01 PM
The way I would interpret that billboard is that, regardless of whether you are paying her for her services, you're still looking at a victim. How many people would think it was okay to beat up a woman so long as they paid her for the pleasure? And just to throw in there, I don't know if it is because I am a woman but the message I just suggested came to me, immediately. It wasn't something I had to think about.

Dubya61
02-21-2014, 02:02 PM
You're looking for sexism in places where it doesn't exist.

Saying that she's somebody's daughter is a way to humanize her. It's more difficult to commit a crime against someone when you see them as a human. Like guys who look at child porography on the internet, they may just see her as a picture, an inanimate object, or they may see her as a whore. But if they relate to that picture and put someone they know or care about in the place of what they're looking at (a daughter, a sister etc.) then they're less likely to want to contribute to the exploitation of the child. If you get enough people declining to be a part of it, then there's less market for it and if there's less market then it'll happen less as the people who promote this exploitation will move on to something more financially lucrative. So relating her to a relation that most people are going to have some frame of reference for is going to have a more emtional bond than to put a billboard that says "She's somebody's pharmacist" or She's somebody's accountant."

Aso, you say she's defined by her relatinship to a male. Last I checked, women can have daughters too.

Yeah, don't worry. It's not my doctoral thesis -- just a thought. All the same, I do feel there's some sexism there.

PennyQuilts
02-21-2014, 02:23 PM
Sexism is very sneaky, isn't it? I know that there are a lot of factors that mold our expectations of a non-elected position that is mostly just baggage for the elected person. I wonder if male spouses of elected officials are expected / permitted to have a platform. It seems we hardly see Mr. Fallin, but then again, we hardly saw other Governor's spouses.

I wonder if First Lady causes are a holdover from an earlier era where upper class women generally didn't work outside the home but were expected to be engaged in charitable causes. Most politicians' wives have been in the business long enough that they end up giving up their own career even if they started out with one. In contrast, I don't think most of us expect the First Gentleman to serve as a type of host the way the First Lady does (although, these days, it is more in name only due to have a huge staff). Not to open a HUGE can of worms, but Madam Palin's "First Guy," as he was sometimes called, seemed to kind of go out of his way to be an autonomous he-man (although they made sure everyone knew he helped around the house), in large part, because that sells better to the masses.

But you're right, sexism is sneaky and it will blindside you in ways you never saw coming. I still recall doing well in lawschool, totally confident that I could make it in a "man's world," scoring a decent job with an up and coming small lawfirm fight out of lawschool - and then we had the "Firm Christmas Party."

Five male lawyers and me. Five wives and a husband. If we were talking shop, it would make sense to stay with the guys but it was a festive occasion so what was on the menu was golf, vacations, kids, etc. The ladies split off to talk about their kids and vacations. The gentlemen split off to talk sports, hunting and cars. And then there is me - go with the guys (which means snub the wives - never a good idea - and, frankly, talking cars and basketball isn't really my thing) or hang out with the ladies (and miss out on the type of networking that can lead to advancements).

These days, I don't think that is as big a deal and in a larger firm - or even a smaller firm - the issue wouldn't have come up. But I know, right now, that one of my lawyer daughters with a first baby is on pins and needles because there is such pressure to prove you aren't going to let work slack off even though you are up nights with an infant and really, really, really need to pump your breasts (sorry guys). She put off having a baby for a long time because she needed to get established else they might put her on the dead end mommy track. The last thing the head partner told her when she took maternity leave was,"I really hope you don't forget everything while you are off work playing with your baby." So it is tough.

On the other hand, my lawyer son also took off several weeks paternity leave (I got two granddaughters in a month - yeah!) and the day he came back to work they offered him a partnership. Go figure.

BBatesokc
02-21-2014, 02:34 PM
Just an fyi brian, but the link took me to a 404 page

I forget I don't allow hot linking to image URLs. It showed up for me because I'm the admin.

The image is in this article....

Controversial Sugar Daddy billboard in OKC is replaced with a positive message » JohnTV (http://johntv.com/controversial-billboard-in-okc-is-replaced-with-a-positive-message/)

kevinpate
02-21-2014, 05:54 PM
color me inattentive. in my mind I had sent that as a pm. guess I left brain at courthouse p-lot today.