View Full Version : Office on the Go

PennyQuilts
02-20-2014, 08:54 AM
I have a 2007 dell laptop that is half full and loaded up with work related software. It is running okay, for now, but I am going to eventually have to swap out. It is too heavy and clunky to want to haul around with me. I also have an iphone and an ipad mini.

I'm out and about quite a bit and am considering getting a full sized tablet rather than another laptop. I could clean out a lot of things on the laptop and just use it for certain tasks (it has my bookkeeping software and lot of quilting design and sewing software for my two side businesses). I don't think most of my software would transfer to a newer operating system.

On the other hand, due to price, I thought about just getting a stand alone PC hard drive and keeping it in the office and making better use of my mini while I was out and about, at classes, etc.

On the third hand, when I see people hauling out full sized tablets with a decent keyboard and using them in meetings, it makes me drool.

Part of me would like to get an fullsized ipad (rather than PC) because of the apps and because it would interface with the mini and the iphone. I use facetime with my kids all the time and it works better than skype (plus, they have apples). But then, there is the price.

Thoughts?

mkjeeves
02-20-2014, 09:10 AM
My wife bought an HP Split to replace her failing Sony netbook. Seems like a good machine spanning both worlds, the keyboard separates from the touch screen. It sat around in the box for a couple of weeks and then the hard drive in my Dell notebook failed. I started up the HP and have been using it. I like it thus far, though not a few things related to Windows 8 and the touch pad. I've been running XP on everything until now.

HP Split 13t-g100 x2 PC | HP® Official Store (http://shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-office/-/products/Laptops/HP-Split/E3A11AV?HP-Split-13t-g100-x2-PC&jumpid=ba_r329_hhocse&aoid=44661&003=6663635&010=E3A11AV&ci_sku=E3A11AV&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw=)

PennyQuilts
02-20-2014, 09:12 AM
I hadn't seen that, MK - thanks!

BBatesokc
02-20-2014, 09:17 AM
Really depends on your needs.

If you need access to real software (and not apps) then you'll probably have to go with an actual laptop. Though Windows has tablet hybrids that do run real programs like Office. Though I find performance can still be an issue.

If you can get along with just apps, then a tablet is great because its portable and you can bring along a real keyboard if you need it. I have a case for my iPad that has a keyboard built in to it.

If you already use a lot of Apple products then it makes sense to buy Apple. If not, then prices are better with Windows based laptops/tablets.

I have a bit of everything...... Apple Mac Pro Desk Top, iMacs, HP Touch desktop all-in-one Windows unit, Windows laptops and both Apple and PC tablets.

I use whats best for my situation. Day in and day out I carry either my iPad air, iPad mini and a keyboard. However, often I need a real laptop and prefer my Mac Book Pro.

PennyQuilts
02-20-2014, 09:20 AM
I was hoping to keep my "real" software on my ancient laptop because they are geared to the old operating system. I am honestly not sure how well that will work, over time. I'd need/want word on anything I bought new but the rest would mainly be apps.

BBatesokc
02-20-2014, 09:33 AM
Requiring 'Word' definitely narrows down your potential solutions. Not that that is a 'bad' thing though.

I use Pages, or Google Drive in place of Word on Apple machines that don't have it.

ctchandler
02-20-2014, 09:40 AM
PennyQuilts,
Open Office is a great product and it can use Microsoft data. It works on Windows and Macs and I'm sure others like Unix/Linux as well. It's also hard to beat the price, it's free. Unlike some free stuff that isn't worth downloading, it's a product supported by contributors around the world. I have been using it for several years. Just thought I should mention it.
C. T.

kelroy55
02-20-2014, 09:45 AM
Requiring 'Word' definitely narrows down your potential solutions. Not that that is a 'bad' thing though.

I use Pages, or Google Drive in place of Word on Apple machines that don't have it.

Are you able to store applications (Word, etc...) on the Cloud like you can data?

mkjeeves
02-20-2014, 09:46 AM
If you're running windows or a mac you can always download Open Office for free too. I installed it on the HP Split since I needed to read some docs on my wife's new HP and was too lazy to find the Microsoft Office disks, not to mention the HP split doesn't have a disc drive and I'll have to install an external one to do that.

I've only used it on windows machines so I'm not completely familiar with issues on other operating systems or what is supported but it might be an option to buying new Office apps for you.

https://www.openoffice.org/

I do have an older Mac I rarely use and a nook color thats been rooted to be an Android tablet that I use a lot for various things, travel in particular, when I don't want to take a notebook. No way can I do without a full blown PC though. I did get my Dell hard drive replaced, the last time I'm going to repair that machine.

Looks like CT mentioned it that while I was composing this!

I use both google drive and dropbox for cross machine and cross platform access to docs. Also run Go to My PC on my work PC so I can access it from my notebook, android tablet and iphone.

PennyQuilts
02-20-2014, 12:31 PM
Are you able to store applications (Word, etc...) on the Cloud like you can data?

To my shame, I have no idea.