View Full Version : Jimmy Fallon's Tonight Show

ljbab728
02-19-2014, 12:30 AM
Jimmy Fallon's 'Tonight Show' Premiere Dominates in Ratings: Nice Guys Finish First | Yahoo TV - Yahoo TV (http://tv.yahoo.com/blogs/tv-news/jimmy-fallon-s--tonight-show--premiere-dominates-in-ratings--measures-up-to-conan-s-2009-debut--but-below-leno-s-farewell-185203092.html)

It looks like he is off to a good start. I've watched his first two shows even though I may not be a regular viewer. I wanted to see how he did and I was impressed. He's not Jay or Johnny but I wasn't expecting that. He comes across as very likeable and has had a good roster of guests so far.

kelroy55
02-19-2014, 05:59 AM
I haven't seen it yet, usually asleep by then, but I was wondering how he did.

RadicalModerate
02-19-2014, 09:00 AM
Jimmy Fallon has always been likable.
He's sort of like the Anti-Letterman.
(not that i don't appreciate a lot of what Letterman does, he's just a bit abrasive)

I wish him well in this new endeavor and hope that people don't spend a lot of time comparing him to Jack Paar, Steve Allen, Johnny Carson or Jay Leno. (The Leno Version of the show wasn't the Carson Version of the show. And that's okay, too.)

Jeepnokc
02-19-2014, 09:47 AM
I watched the first two shows and I also watched him a few times in his old show. My impression is that he is off to a weak start as far as monologue and skits compared to his old monologues or Leno's. It has to be tough to move into this spot and not just replicate his old show while finding new direction. Great guest list lined up for this week.

Dustin
02-19-2014, 10:14 AM
His first show was good. He always has great segments and his 'History of Hip-Hop Dancing' was no exception!

Lord Helmet
02-19-2014, 11:33 AM
Well, he's not Johnny...but no one will ever be able to replace him. He's not Jay either (thankfully!). So far I'm enjoying the show with Fallon behind the desk.

venture
02-19-2014, 12:14 PM
I watched the first two shows and I also watched him a few times in his old show. My impression is that he is off to a weak start as far as monologue and skits compared to his old monologues or Leno's. It has to be tough to move into this spot and not just replicate his old show while finding new direction. Great guest list lined up for this week.

That right there is also why we likely will never see Craig move up to replace Dave when he finally retires. There are just some things that you can get away with at 12:30/11:30 that you can't at 11:30/10:30. Different audience as well. Craig likes his low key, qwerky show that breaks the type late night format in most aspects - not to mention makes fun of the format itself. Jimmy is going to be dealing with the transition for a bit until they get to something comfortable. Once he does, he'll do fine. I don't expect his ratings to be much different than Jay's.

It'll be interesting to see who Letterman taps as his replacement, since I would assume he'll retain ownership of the show (via Worldwide Pants). Craig has first right of refusal, but based on his comments - he doesn't want it.

CuatrodeMayo
02-19-2014, 12:16 PM
The set is fantastic.

jerrywall
02-19-2014, 12:31 PM
The set is fantastic.

Does it not seem narrow or squished to you? I've enjoyed the first two shows... I was just surprised about the size of the set. I'm guessing a limitation of 30 rock?

CuatrodeMayo
02-19-2014, 12:44 PM
Does it not seem narrow or squished to you? I've enjoyed the first two shows... I was just surprised about the size of the set. I'm guessing a limitation of 30 rock?

That what we designers like to call an "intimate" space :)

Urbanized
02-19-2014, 03:02 PM

I think that impression is mostly due to one weird camera position that looks down a wall towards the band from high above. I have been watching and analyzing pretty closely as I really enjoyed Fallon's old show (by the way, not immediately). I also think the first few shows have been a little bit stiff, probably because they are all way too aware that they are courting a new audience. Once they loosen up (including the band, who need to let the funk off the chain), the show will be much better.

Regarding the size of the set, I was SHOCKED at how small Letterman't stage is when I saw a show in person. Changed my entire perspective on the way these shows work.

AP
02-19-2014, 08:56 PM
I love Jimmy. He is one of my favorite comedians. He seems very genuine and doesn't ever seem like he's putting on a show. Mostly looks like he's up there livin' a dream and having a great time.

zookeeper
02-19-2014, 09:07 PM

He mentioned that he was glad that NBC was able to accomodate returning the show to New York City - and to the original studio of The Tonight Show. Maybe it had something to do with honoring the show by wanting to be in the same studio? I'm with you, Jerry, I have really enjoyed the show so far. I like Jimmy a lot and never watched him on his other show, so he's all new to me. He's an incredibly likeable man.

JohnnyW
02-20-2014, 03:08 AM
When Jimmy first came on to replace Conan, I didn't really like it. He seemed shy and uncomfortable at first but as time went on I started to enjoy it. He has some hilarious bits. I have only seen clips of his new show but it looks to be just as good as his late show.

Some of you mentioned Johnny Carson and that no show will be the same as his. I mean the guy was the best late night host and it's hard to live up to him. However, Conan O'Brien has been setting up some of his interviews like Carson did. For example, when he has comedians on he tends to have them as a guest on the couch rather than just a stand up mic. Conan just lets the comic do his thing and he only interjects to keep the comedian going.

Dubya61
02-20-2014, 09:38 AM
I've always enjoyed all of the talk shows referenced above -- mostly. I kinda soured on Letterman as he became too political. I started to tire of Leno, as it felt like he always knew in advance how some of the interviews were going to go and even seemed to have a comedy routine skit in place instead of the interview. I really like Fallon and am sure I will enjoy his show at 10:35 -- after the olympics are over -- I can't wait much beyond that and still be functional in the morning.

jn1780
02-20-2014, 04:17 PM

NBC was originally going to give him a bigger set.
Jimmy Fallon 'Tonight Show': NBC Dumps $25 Million NYC Studio (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/jimmy-fallon-tonight-show-nbc-518867)
I think they lost their appetite for spending money on big sets after they built that new set for Conan O Brian at Universal Studios in California.

Tydude
02-21-2014, 10:50 AM
Monday Night Ratings 3.4 with 11.314 million viewers Tuesday Night 2.3 rating 7.366 million viewers Wednesday Night 5.2 rating and Thursday Night it got a 5.3 rating

venture
02-21-2014, 11:12 AM
Ratings right now for Fallon are pretty worthless for the long term. The hype is going to draw a ton of people but also the Olympics lead in as well. Things will calm down in a month and then we'll see how things stack up.

Dustin
02-21-2014, 01:27 PM
When he was doing Late Night, his show was great and his show so far has been great as well. Now that he has a bigger budget and a few more quality writers, I don't see how this show can fail.

Dustin
02-21-2014, 01:47 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YCeIgt7hMs&list=PLykzf464sU9-uj2DvWN3k3S6k_EPDw9pN&feature=c4-overview-vl

OKCretro
02-21-2014, 02:19 PM
Bozell & Graham Column: Jimmy Fallon, Democrat Political Asset | NewsBusters (http://newsbusters.org/blogs/brent-bozell-and-tim-graham/2014/02/21/bozell-graham-column-jimmy-fallon-democrat-political-as)

jerrywall
02-22-2014, 09:56 AM
You know, there's this folder... elsewhere on the site.. called "politics".

jerrywall
02-22-2014, 10:22 AM
He's the most nervous interviewer I've ever seen though... that may just be how he comes across though.

RadicalModerate
02-23-2014, 07:10 PM
He's the most nervous interviewer I've ever seen though... that may just be how he comes across though.

Hopefully, when Mr. Fallon realizes that he has more heart and talent than any ten of his Interviewees combined he will begin to move in the direction of Carsonesque relaxation. Or, if not Carson, perhaps William F. Buckley (or Steve Allen) =)

boscorama
02-23-2014, 09:02 PM
I think it's been established that he's Likeable. Being that, I hope there's more to him. He is, after all, so Likeable.