View Full Version : Studies: Internet Trolls Really Are Horrible People

Pages : [1] 2

Midtowner
02-17-2014, 10:23 AM
In the past few years, the science of Internet trollology has made some strides. Last year, for instance, we learned that by hurling insults and inciting discord in online comment sections, so-called Internet trolls (who are frequently anonymous) have a polarizing effect on audiences, leading to politicization, rather than deeper understanding of scientific topics.

That’s bad, but it’s nothing compared with what a new psychology paper has to say about the personalities of trolls themselves. The research, conducted by Erin Buckels of the University of Manitoba and two colleagues, sought to directly investigate whether people who engage in trolling are characterized by personality traits that fall in the so-called Dark Tetrad: Machiavellianism (willingness to manipulate and deceive others), narcissism (egotism and self-obsession), psychopathy (the lack of remorse and empathy), and sadism (pleasure in the suffering of others).

Internet troll personality study: Machiavellianism, narcissism, psychopathy, sadism. (http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/climate_desk/2014/02/internet_troll_personality_study_machiavellianism_ narcissism_psychopathy.html)

So I wasn't imagining that the comments section everywhere is full of truly horrible people. It's a scientific reality :)

Garin
02-17-2014, 10:41 AM
You should start a troll enforcement project. You & KR could get little yellow vests that say troll patrol and you could write demerits and yell citizens arrest... and fun stuff like that. Anyone with a different pov than you or someone that challenges you guys gets this label.

venture
02-17-2014, 10:45 AM
Internet troll personality study: Machiavellianism, narcissism, psychopathy, sadism. (http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/climate_desk/2014/02/internet_troll_personality_study_machiavellianism_ narcissism_psychopathy.html)

So I wasn't imagining that the comments section everywhere is full of truly horrible people. It's a scientific reality :)

Incoming "Such and such is on your ignore list" message boxes to prove your point. LOL

Midtowner
02-17-2014, 10:47 AM
Incoming "Such and such is on your ignore list" message boxes to prove your point. LOL

I was trying not to bring them in to this discussion by specifically referencing comments sections, but if the shoe fits...

ylouder
02-17-2014, 10:55 AM
I've stopped going to certain news sites because of internet trolls and lately there seems to be a positive movement to finally stop them. I know some sites have taken down the comment section or require people to post through facebook or other avenues; granted those can be easily by passed but it at least takes a little more effort.

The only thing it really does for me is reenforces that miserable and hateful people have nothing but time to sit around and complain about everyone else.

Seems like a very sad way to spend a limited amount of time on this planet.

Midtowner
02-17-2014, 10:58 AM
Just FYI, with those Facebook accounts, if they're obviously not real people, if you report them, FB will delete the account. I've done that a few times.

kelroy55
02-17-2014, 11:46 AM
Not sure we needed studies to know that about trolls.

PennyQuilts
02-17-2014, 11:50 AM
I've stopped going to certain news sites because of internet trolls and lately there seems to be a positive movement to finally stop them. I know some sites have taken down the comment section or require people to post through facebook or other avenues; granted those can be easily by passed but it at least takes a little more effort.

The only thing it really does for me is reenforces that miserable and hateful people have nothing but time to sit around and complain about everyone else.

Seems like a very sad way to spend a limited amount of time on this planet.
Oh, stop complaining...

PennyQuilts
02-17-2014, 11:51 AM
Just FYI, with those Facebook accounts, if they're obviously not real people, if you report them, FB will delete the account. I've done that a few times.

You have time to patrol facebook? And an interest in doing so? Really?

kevinpate
02-17-2014, 11:52 AM
Not sure we needed studies to know that about trolls.

Hey, now, the folks who conduct studies gotta eat too :)

kevinpate
02-17-2014, 11:54 AM

You have time to patrol folk who patrol FB folk? Really?
(sorry ... could not resist.) :)

Garin
02-17-2014, 11:59 AM

Is he patrolling or just trolling? Oh the hypocrisy

Midtowner
02-17-2014, 11:59 AM
The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

ylouder
02-17-2014, 12:58 PM
I really don't understand penny. I would guess she is being sarcastic but from her confrontations with numerous people in other threads I don't know what to think.

PennyQuilts
02-17-2014, 02:36 PM
You have time to patrol folk who patrol FB folk? Really?
(sorry ... could not resist.) :)

:). No, that's just a comment - sure didn't go looking to bust people and report them. And if I did, I would sure be embarrassed.

PennyQuilts
02-17-2014, 02:37 PM
I really don't understand penny. I would guess she is being sarcastic but from her confrontations with numerous people in other threads I don't know what to think.

I suspect you not knowing what to think has little to do with what I do. :)

Looks like you don't understand irony.

zookeeper
02-17-2014, 04:20 PM
I think the trolls they're talking about in the study are of a different breed than we see around this forum. Some of the big networks have shut their comments off until they find a solution for the trolls that make your blood curdle. YouTube used to be quite the trolling heaven, too. Has it cleaned itself up any since their Google+ changes?

ylouder
02-17-2014, 04:48 PM
I suspect you not knowing what to think has little to do with what I do. :)

Looks like you don't understand irony.

As I said I didn't know if you were being sarcastic because I was complaining about complaining or if you were just spreading your typical bitterness instead of actually participating in a real discussion.

Midtowner
02-17-2014, 04:50 PM
I think the trolls they're talking about in the study are of a different breed than we see around this forum. Some of the big networks have shut their comments off until they find a solution for the trolls that make your blood curdle. YouTube used to be quite the trolling heaven, too. Has it cleaned itself up any since their Google+ changes?

Yeah, I didn't start this about them at all. They just hopped on over and got on the defensive... I guess it should say something that they thought I was talking about them, but we don't need to keep going back to that well.

The trouble is though, especially in politics comments sections, it's really tough to tell whether someone is Tea Party or troll.

For example, in any given comments section having anything the least bit to do with the federal government, you have:

Obummer need's to go back to Kenya if he wants to be a Marxist, let him do it in his own country! He's a diskrace to this country and to the flag and for everything AMERICA stand's for! He and hi's Muslim's are going to take over this Country with him flying in secret Muslim's on the airline's. Don't you people realize we are at WAR??? When Obummer implements Agenda 21, you won't even recognize this Country! God help us and GOD BLESS THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA!!

Troll or Tea Party member? Tough to tell..

RadicalModerate
02-17-2014, 04:52 PM
You should start a troll enforcement project. You & KR could get little yellow vests that say troll patrol and you could write demerits and yell citizens arrest... and fun stuff like that. Anyone with a different pov than you or someone that challenges you guys gets this label.

Wait a second . . . Are you suggesting that Kenny Rogers has time to be a virtual crossing-guard on the Internet highway? Has the botox begun to infiltrate his brain? 'course he did write that song about knowin' when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em . . . so I guess I just don't know what to think, either.

JohnnyW
02-17-2014, 05:02 PM
I'm glad to see that there is an effort to try to control the trolling. I guess people get a thrill by stirring up people's emotions and that is their idea of fun. I have seen it here by people not discussing the topic at hand but rather making ad hominem attacks and poking fun at other people's ideas.

For your question, YouTube has always been the worst offender of it and I think the requirement of the Google plus account is helping.

Prunepicker
02-17-2014, 07:15 PM
I've noticed that most people that are called trolls simply don't agree with
the person who's calling them a troll.

I don't use the term since I believe everybody has their opinion and there's
no reason for name calling due to the fact that they differ.

Fact: One can't help but notice that the self proclaimed tolerant are the
first to cry troll.

Plutonic Panda
02-17-2014, 07:58 PM
You have time to patrol facebook? And an interest in doing so? Really?I have agreed with everyone of your posts up until this post. You must know, Facebook makes the reporting feature because it relies on the community to report impostors and people that are violating its terms of use. If you see one, you should report them. Facebook relies on you to do so to make it a better and more enjoyable place.

Stew
02-17-2014, 08:26 PM
Only the willing get trolled so I simple choose not to be trolled. It's so silly in a textual world to get bent out of sorts over words on your computer screen. I just don't get it.

PennyQuilts
02-17-2014, 08:32 PM
I have agreed with everyone of your posts up until this post. You must know, Facebook makes the reporting feature because it relies on the community to report impostors and people that are violating its terms of use. If you see one, you should report them. Facebook relies on you to do so to make it a better and more enjoyable place.

That wasn't all he said. He made a point of saying he went looking for them. I think that is creepy, frankly. I mean, who would want to do that - other than a troll going around trying to control other's speech? Maybe it is just me but I don't understand going out of your way to look for things you don't like and then try to get them banned. Odd hobby. It is one thing to see something that is out of line in the course of reading. It is another to take it upon yourself to be a hall monitor. I just don't see what someone gets out of that.

PennyQuilts
02-17-2014, 08:33 PM
As I said I didn't know if you were being sarcastic because I was complaining about complaining or if you were just spreading your typical bitterness instead of actually participating in a real discussion.

I'm not bitter but I note is common for some to go personal and try to define someone with whom they disagree.

PennyQuilts
02-17-2014, 08:38 PM
Yeah, I didn't start this about them at all. They just hopped on over and got on the defensive... I guess it should say something that they thought I was talking about them, but we don't need to keep going back to that well.

The trouble is though, especially in politics comments sections, it's really tough to tell whether someone is Tea Party or troll.

For example, in any given comments section having anything the least bit to do with the federal government, you have:

Obummer need's to go back to Kenya if he wants to be a Marxist, let him do it in his own country! He's a diskrace to this country and to the flag and for everything AMERICA stand's for! He and hi's Muslim's are going to take over this Country with him flying in secret Muslim's on the airline's. Don't you people realize we are at WAR??? When Obummer implements Agenda 21, you won't even recognize this Country! God help us and GOD BLESS THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA!!

Mid clearly can't distinguish between a troll and someone with whom he disagrees. When he plays hall monitor (which is fairly chronic and typically coarse), he NEVER chastises someone on the left no matter how obnoxious they are being. He is far more likely to join in with additional attacks and name calling. If he was really worried about trolls rather than substance his comments wouldn't be so completely one sided. If he wasn't so quick to name call and go personal on right leaning commenters, I'd guess he just wasn't interested enough to troll but he is quite aggressive about his hall monitoring duties. He is the guy who lets his buddies go and bullies everyone else. He clearly takes pride in his hall monitor duties or he wouldn't preen over what he does.

mugofbeer
02-17-2014, 08:50 PM

This almost sounds like one of those Democrat plants they put Tea Party events to say outrageous things so they could be video'd on the news at Tea Party events - only to find out later they are Democrat supporters.

Midtowner
02-17-2014, 09:47 PM
I don't want to get too far afield, but these, I don't believe, were Democrat plants.

Wxr4cEC9IXw

--and almost all of that material came from the mouths of these sweet old ladies at a 9/12 meeting.

So again, TPer or troll.. hard to tell sometimes.

mugofbeer
02-17-2014, 09:58 PM
sorry, your attachment didn't come through for some of us.

Mid, it's obvious there are trolls and there are goons on both sides of the political fence. Some statements are so over the top, they start to seem a little bit hard to believe it is serious (and not something a la The Onion pranking everyone).

Since the Dems have been caught more than once using this "plant" tactic at Tea Party events, you have to take outrageous statements like that with a grain of salt. Even if you find some goon who is serious, that certainly doesn't mean it applies to everyone at an event.

Midtowner
02-17-2014, 11:01 PM
sorry, your attachment didn't come through for some of us.

Mid, it's obvious there are trolls and there are goons on both sides of the political fence. Some statements are so over the top, they start to seem a little bit hard to believe it is serious (and not something a la The Onion pranking everyone).

Since the Dems have been caught more than once using this "plant" tactic at Tea Party events, you have to take outrageous statements like that with a grain of salt. Even if you find some goon who is serious, that certainly doesn't mean it applies to everyone at an event.

But here's the thing--you're a real live human being capable of being persuaded by facts and evidence. If you look at what I posted (a Bridenstine town hall at a 9/12 event), one TP woman wanted Obama to be killed as a war criminal. Google it if you can't see my link. This sort of talk is acceptable in some TP circles... in fact, my father who is 70 years old has a best friend who believes all of this crap. Those people are real. Don't deny it.

Now we have some trolls here who I really don't think are legitimate human beings. They're here to stir the pot. I've put the bastards on ignore and I will continue to advocate that others do the same. Don't feed the trolls.

Now that said, I didn't start this thread to talk about them. I do that all the time elsewhere.

Prunepicker
02-17-2014, 11:09 PM
... When he plays hall monitor (which is fairly chronic and typically coarse), he
NEVER chastises someone on the left no matter how obnoxious they are
being.
I remember when he used common sense in his posts. Then something
happened, Not sure what but it had something to do with law school.

RadicalModerate
02-17-2014, 11:50 PM
I'm somewhat ashamed to admit this . . .
yet I'm not exactly sure what "troll" / "trolling" means within the context of the current discussion.

Is "troll" a noun or a verb? Does it have something to do with fishing? or with phishing?

(there are plenty of "billy goats gruff" involved, yet at what price regarding the toll?)

I'd throw in something along the lines of:
"Who knows for whom the bull trolls . . ?
It trolls for thee . . ."
but that would be too obscure a reference.

Plutonic Panda
02-18-2014, 12:13 AM
That wasn't all he said. He made a point of saying he went looking for them. I think that is creepy, frankly. I mean, who would want to do that - other than a troll going around trying to control other's speech? Maybe it is just me but I don't understand going out of your way to look for things you don't like and then try to get them banned. Odd hobby. It is one thing to see something that is out of line in the course of reading. It is another to take it upon yourself to be a hall monitor. I just don't see what someone gets out of that.Oh, I didn't catch that... yeah that is a bit weird if the case.

Plutonic Panda
02-18-2014, 12:14 AM

Troll or Tea Party member? Tough to tell..When you say things like that, to me, that is trolling.

Prunepicker
02-18-2014, 12:18 AM
When you say things like that, to me, that is trolling.
Most trolls complain about trolls. They don't realize that they are trolls.

RadicalModerate
02-18-2014, 12:24 AM

Surely you aren't implying that the, above referenced, provider of an opinion, however expressed, is doing so in order to elicit an emotional response on your part? Are you? =)

(that was a feeble attempt at "trolling" . . . at least as I understand it from the Urban Dictionary)

CaptDave
02-18-2014, 12:25 AM
Surely you aren't implying that the, above referenced, provider of an opinion, however expressed, is doing so in order to elicit an emotional response on your part? Are you? =)

(that was a feeble attempt at "trolling" . . . at least as I understand it from the Urban Dictionary)

If that is the definition of trolling, it is pretty easy to identify the trolls around here.

RadicalModerate
02-18-2014, 12:27 AM
If that is the definition of trolling, it is pretty easy to identify the trolls around here.

Are you an M.C. Escher fan, too? =)

CaptDave
02-18-2014, 12:31 AM

Only when I wish to be confounded. :tongue:

RadicalModerate
02-18-2014, 12:39 AM
This Just In: Studies Indicating Trolls Really Are Horrible People Done By Trolls Themselves (!)
(film at 11)

(dang . . . i can't believe how long it's been since i've visited over there at The Onion . . .)

Plutonic Panda
02-18-2014, 12:48 AM

(that was a feeble attempt at "trolling" . . . at least as I understand it from the Urban Dictionary)perhaps the troller has become the trollee

RadicalModerate
02-18-2014, 12:52 AM
perhaps the troller has become the trollee

Maybe so . . . even Tony Bennett reminded us of the importance of "Leav[ing] [one's] Heart in San Francisco" . . .

kelroy55
02-18-2014, 06:01 AM

It is hard to tell the difference.

venture
02-18-2014, 08:28 AM
That wasn't all he said. He made a point of saying he went looking for them. I think that is creepy, frankly. I mean, who would want to do that - other than a troll going around trying to control other's speech? Maybe it is just me but I don't understand going out of your way to look for things you don't like and then try to get them banned. Odd hobby. It is one thing to see something that is out of line in the course of reading. It is another to take it upon yourself to be a hall monitor. I just don't see what someone gets out of that.

Umm, where?

Hell, I've done it a few times. Does that mean I am making a hobby out of it? If I am reading a story and take a look down at the comments, if someone is out of line and attacking - I'll click the little X to report it and move on. I'm not actively fishing. Where did Mid state he actively goes out to do just this? I must have missed it if you can help me out with that.

PennyQuilts
02-18-2014, 06:44 PM
Umm, where?

Hell, I've done it a few times. Does that mean I am making a hobby out of it? If I am reading a story and take a look down at the comments, if someone is out of line and attacking - I'll click the little X to report it and move on. I'm not actively fishing. Where did Mid state he actively goes out to do just this? I must have missed it if you can help me out with that.
The way I read what he wrote - did I misread? - seemed like he was going out of his way to bust people. I don't have a problem with reporting certain posts but I DO think it would be weird to set out to do it. I think the confusion comes from the difference between reporting an obnoxious post and someone who says they go around turning in fake FB names. The latter seems extreme, to me. It is one thing to do it in the course of reading but Mid made the point of saying he has done it multiple times. That just strikes me as taking it to a higher, more obsessive level.

Midtowner
02-18-2014, 10:05 PM

Funny that everyone who liked your post is on my iggy list.

venture
02-19-2014, 08:49 AM
The way I read what he wrote - did I misread? - seemed like he was going out of his way to bust people. I don't have a problem with reporting certain posts but I DO think it would be weird to set out to do it. I think the confusion comes from the difference between reporting an obnoxious post and someone who says they go around turning in fake FB names. The latter seems extreme, to me. It is one thing to do it in the course of reading but Mid made the point of saying he has done it multiple times. That just strikes me as taking it to a higher, more obsessive level.

I didn't take it that way at all. I've done it multiple times, like I said, but it isn't like I spend my morning doing it. :) If I am reading a story and see a comment that is out of line, I'll click the little X to report and move on. I think you just read into it way more than what was actually there.

PennyQuilts
02-19-2014, 09:17 AM
I didn't take it that way at all. I've done it multiple times, like I said, but it isn't like I spend my morning doing it. :) If I am reading a story and see a comment that is out of line, I'll click the little X to report and move on. I think you just read into it way more than what was actually there.

Wouldn't be the first time!

okcboomer
02-19-2014, 03:24 PM
This is interesting. I've been called a troll by some on this forum. I think it stems from not typing very much. Sorry, I don't have time to sit around and type 500 word replies to everything.

MustangGT
02-19-2014, 11:06 PM
If you do not like a post ignore it. Pretty simple.

kelroy55
02-20-2014, 05:37 AM
This is interesting. I've been called a troll by some on this forum. I think it stems from not typing very much. Sorry, I don't have time to sit around and type 500 word replies to everything.

That's OK, few have the time, or desire, to read those 500 word replies.

MsProudSooner
02-20-2014, 09:29 AM
The lowest common denominator tolls seem to post on local news sites. There will be an article about the tragic death of a young person and people will make unbelievably rude and crude comments.

kelroy55
02-20-2014, 09:55 AM
The lowest common denominator tolls seem to post on local news sites. There will be an article about the tragic death of a young person and people will make unbelievably rude and crude comments.

I've seen that and just have to shake my head.

PennyQuilts
02-20-2014, 11:05 AM

Oh just skip them, for heaven's sake. They aren't intended for people who just want a short, quick comment so don't torture yourself with trying to comprehend them. It will just frustrate you and that isn't my intent.

JIMBO
02-22-2014, 11:41 AM

M. C. Escher school of architecture and design.
I've worked with some architects who must have studied there.

Garin
02-26-2014, 07:21 PM
Could Some Internet ?Trolls? Actually Be Government Operatives? Beck Warns Americans to Be Wary | TheBlaze.com (http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/02/26/could-some-internet-trolls-actually-be-government-operatives-beck-warns-americans-to-be-wary/)

PennyQuilts
02-26-2014, 07:27 PM
Okay, that's it - Garin is a progressive plant trying to make the conservatives look bad.

Either that, or he is a government operative. :)

BlackmoreRulz
02-26-2014, 07:40 PM
Either that, or he is a government operative. :)

AHA! NSA maybe?

Plutonic Panda
06-01-2014, 09:48 PM
US Senate Candidate Goes To War With Internet Trolls - Business Insider (http://www.businessinsider.com/us-senate-candidate-goes-to-war-with-internet-trolls-2014-5?utm_content=bufferab58c&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer)