View Full Version : Moore cops abuse......

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Garin
02-17-2014, 10:22 AM
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CCoQqQIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.news9.com%2Fstory%2F24735856% 2Ffamily-says-moore-police-beat-father-to-death&ei=REQCU_D8K8TQyAHTwYDIAg&usg=AFQjCNHVC16N-iuZ8PjcaiuxRelqHaTMgQ

How about a taser or some pepper spray, did they really have to beat him to death?

Achilleslastand
02-17-2014, 10:47 AM
If after an investigation is done and the cops in question were found to be guilty I hope they are punished to the fullest extent of the law.

Garin
02-17-2014, 10:50 AM
My neighbor is internal affairs with mpd , I'm sure he'll be putting in the hours over this.

Midtowner
02-17-2014, 10:57 AM
I read about this. Tragic.

We haven't heard Moore PD's explanation for what happened, but it's hard to imagine any situation where policemen stepping into a domestic dispute should ever escalate to the point that the policemen beat one of the parties to death.

The fact that the phone with the video was confiscated is actually understandable though. That's evidence. Now if the video was deleted or destroyed, most of the time, it can be recovered and evidence tampering charges can be added.

zookeeper
02-17-2014, 12:54 PM
I support the police when they are right, they have a tough job. But the militarization of local police (literally by hiring almost all former Iraq and Afghanistan soldiers - and figuratively with the switch to black uniforms, SWAT teams for towns of 2,000 people, combat gear, combat wear), it's all gone so far over the top. You can call the police over something that's fairly minor, but by the time they've been there for a few minutes the testosterone-fueled soldier-police have escalated things with their need to control everything, poor listening skills, and it's all because they've been trained to be soldiers. That easily morphs into thug cops when these young guys come in and they have a need to have the same rush they felt in the war zone.

Cops all across the country are out-of-control and it's due to the military mindset they have brought to local law enforcement.

If things are as the family says in this situation in Moore, think we'll see murder charges?

Garin
02-17-2014, 02:43 PM
I support the police when they are right, they have a tough job. But the militarization of local police (literally by hiring almost all former Iraq and Afghanistan soldiers - and figuratively with the switch to black uniforms, SWAT teams for towns of 2,000 people, combat gear, combat wear), it's all gone so far over the top. You can call the police over something that's fairly minor, but by the time they've been there for a few minutes the testosterone-fueled soldier-police have escalated things with their need to control everything, poor listening skills, and it's all because they've been trained to be soldiers. That easily morphs into thug cops when these young guys come in and they have a need to have the same rush they felt in the war zone.

Cops all across the country are out-of-control and it's due to the military mindset they have brought to local law enforcement.

If things are as the family says in this situation in Moore, think we'll see murder charges?

Finally something we can agree on

Chadanth
02-17-2014, 02:48 PM
Finally something we can agree on

I want to see more facts and circumstances from this situation, but I generally agree with your and zookeeper's sentiments.

tomokc
02-17-2014, 02:55 PM

Wow!

Midtowner
02-17-2014, 02:57 PM

It is WAY too soon to speculate on that.

zookeeper
02-17-2014, 03:57 PM
It is WAY too soon to speculate on that.

You're probably right, but had it been that father who beat somebody to death in the parking lot it wouldn't be too soon. They would file charges today.

zookeeper
02-17-2014, 04:00 PM
Wow!

It's happening everywhere.

The militarization of U.S. police forces | Reuters - The Great Debate (http://blogs.reuters.com/great-debate/2013/10/22/the-militarization-of-u-s-police-forces/)

And here's the economic reasons behind it. Isn't there always one? It's from Forbes (a quick snip is below the link):
The Militarizing of Local Police - Forbes
(http://www.forbes.com/sites/bradlockwood/2011/11/30/the-militarizing-of-local-police/)
"Thank Department of Homeland Security (http://www.forbes.com/security/) grants of $3 billion per year and drug busts for such extravagant spending by local police departments. Items such as BearCats are deemed “necessary tools” to quality for federal grants (just cite disaster response or crime fighting to ensure they are covered by assorted programs) while federal law says that money from drug seizures can’t be spent on worn-out patrol cars and departmental operating costs, so big-ticket and otherwise cost-prohibitive items become no-brainers."
"What is equally mind-boggling is the reality that crime rates have been dropping year-to-year for well over a decade. Los Angeles (http://www.forbes.com/places/ca/los-angeles/) hasn’t seen so few homicides since the 1960s. So, in justifying purchases like the BearCat, tanks and Predator drones (yep, coming to your neighborhood soon, too) and other equipment designed for battle instead of keeping the peace..."
(http://www.forbes.com/sites/bradlockwood/2011/11/30/the-militarizing-of-local-police/)

Jeepnokc
02-17-2014, 04:08 PM
You're probably right, but had it been that father who beat somebody to death in the parking lot it wouldn't be too soon. They would file charges today.

What I have always found interesting was that when a citizen shoots someone, they question him immediately and without lawyer unless requested. In police shootings, they are not allowed to question the officer for 24-72 hours so he has time to collect his thoughts.

Midtowner
02-17-2014, 04:52 PM
What I have always found interesting was that when a citizen shoots someone, they question him immediately and without lawyer unless requested. In police shootings, they are not allowed to question the officer for 24-72 hours so he has time to collect his thoughts.

There's that blue line and whatnot. Really though, we've only heard from distraught family members who probably realize that the more they taint public opinion, the more dollars they will potentially end up with in a settlement with Moore PD, The Warren, etc. There should be video from more than one source and if that's the case, it may be very difficult for these guys to explain things away.

The thing to do is to hope the investigators do their jobs.

Prunepicker
02-17-2014, 07:29 PM
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CCoQqQIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.news9.com%2Fstory%2F24735856% 2Ffamily-says-moore-police-beat-father-to-death&ei=REQCU_D8K8TQyAHTwYDIAg&usg=AFQjCNHVC16N-iuZ8PjcaiuxRelqHaTMgQ

How about a taser or some pepper spray, did they really have to beat him to death?
This appears to be senseless. I await more information.

kelroy55
02-18-2014, 06:06 AM
There's that blue line and whatnot. Really though, we've only heard from distraught family members who probably realize that the more they taint public opinion, the more dollars they will potentially end up with in a settlement with Moore PD, The Warren, etc. There should be video from more than one source and if that's the case, it may be very difficult for these guys to explain things away.

The thing to do is to hope the investigators do their jobs.

I imagine the OBI will be doing the investigation.

OKCTalker
02-18-2014, 06:17 AM

I'm told by a criminal attorney (EDIT: attorney involved in criminal matters, not an attorney who is a criminal) that a citizen involved in a fatality - unless detained or arrested - is entitled to legal representation and a 24-48-hour wait before giving a statement. He used the example of officer-involved shootings in which they do not immediately give statements. Most people don't know this.

kelroy55
02-18-2014, 07:09 AM
I'm told by a criminal attorney (EDIT: attorney involved in criminal matters, not an attorney who is a criminal) that a citizen involved in a fatality - unless detained or arrested - is entitled to legal representation and a 24-48-hour wait before giving a statement. He used the example of officer-involved shootings in which they do not immediately give statements. Most people don't know this.

The citizen has the right to not answer any questions as well. I wonder if the officer is required to fill out a report within the first 24.

kevinpate
02-18-2014, 07:48 AM
The major difference in a LEO accused and a regular citizen accused is LEO folk will fall all over themselves pointing out to a LEO his right to a rep and the wait period, and it will be honored.
John or Jane Q however, unless he or she knows to say I want a lawyer, now, and say it fast, and remain steadfast, will have folk, often several, take runs at him/her quickly, encouraging him/her to get ahead of it, make sure his/her side is known, to help the quizzers help out and put in a good word with the DA, it's all messed up once the lawyers get involved, yada, yada, yada.

The constitution does provide protections, when properly asserted, but the constitution with an FOP collective bargaining vest tucked inside it provides a bit warmer wrap.

hoya
02-18-2014, 12:06 PM

I'd be happy with mandatory steroid testing for all law enforcement officers.

RadicalModerate
02-18-2014, 12:11 PM
I'd be happy with mandatory steroid testing for all law enforcement officers.

When you say you would be "happy" . . . you were kidding, right?
Personally, I'd be overjoyed. (and, again, i am simply a person who believes in law, order, and the American way. actually wanted to be a police officer at one time . . . i think it had something to do with that "Serve and Protect" ClichéLogo. plus you could get paid for riding a motorcycle. =)

Jeepnokc
02-18-2014, 01:25 PM

I have been a prosecutor and/or criminal defense lawyer for 16 years and have never heard this. The citizen has the right to refuse questioning and ask for an attorney but there isn't any mandatory waiting period the cops must wait. They will try and question the suspect as soon as possible before they have time to collect themselves.

Of Sound Mind
02-18-2014, 01:28 PM
Always... always... exercise your Miranda rights... that's the advice I've gotten from law enforcement officers, prosecutors and criminal defense attorneys. Talking has more upsides for the other side than for you. Even if you have nothing to hide and have done nothing wrong, always better to protect your rights and consult an attorney before making any statements if there is any chance you might be a potential target of any investigation.

Midtowner
02-18-2014, 01:39 PM
It'll be smart to wait on the Medical Examiner's report before jumping to conclusions.

And as far as the other discussion:

6wXkI4t7nuc

tomokc
02-18-2014, 01:40 PM
I have been a prosecutor and/or criminal defense lawyer for 16 years and have never heard this. The citizen has the right to refuse questioning and ask for an attorney but there isn't any mandatory waiting period the cops must wait. They will try and question the suspect as soon as possible before they have time to collect themselves.

Jeep - My mistake in implying that there was an established time frame ("24-48- wait"). However, it was explained that the purpose of the delay was so that the citizen could compose himself, think through what had happened, and give a more valuable statement other than, "I think ___," or "I kinda remember ___," or "You know, he might have ___."

The context was providing a statement to police after shooting an intruder in one's own home.

CuatrodeMayo
02-18-2014, 01:52 PM
Always... always... exercise your Miranda rights... that's the advice I've gotten from law enforcement officers, prosecutors and criminal defense attorneys. Talking has more upsides for the other side than for you. Even if you have nothing to hide and have done nothing wrong, always better to protect your rights and consult an attorney before making any statements if there is any chance you might be a potential target of any investigation.
...and never, ever, consent to a search. Even if you have nothing to hide.

RadicalModerate
02-18-2014, 02:15 PM

If I was a gambler, I would bet that what you said is exactly correct/right.
Yet I don't gamble--nor gambol--and the facts stated remain the same.
thank you. no kidding, no joke.

The difficult decision, at least to me, would seem to be dealing with the presumption of [not-guiltiness] as applied to police officers who are supposed to be defenders of the public trust. Jury-wise, any-ways . . .

(oh! and thanks for responsively reconsidering the design of your building, downtown.
it indicated "character." on a level reflecting good rather than the other thing.

geez . . . I've heard of being "tried in the press" but this is . . . different. =)

Anonymous.
02-18-2014, 02:41 PM
If after an investigation is done and the cops in question were found to be guilty I hope they are punished to the fullest extent of the law.

Police should be held to a higher standard. The only way to stop police from potentially abusing power is by setting punishments that are greater than civilian punishments. This is the whole point of becoming a police officer, to uphold the law.

RadicalModerate
02-18-2014, 05:46 PM
=Anonymous.;749052]Police should be held to a higher standard. The only way to stop police from potentially abusing power is by setting punishments that are greater than civilian punishments. This is the whole point of becoming a police officer, to uphold the law.

If Wyatt Earp, Bill Tilghman, and a Host of Others had been held to a higher standard, they would have been outlaws only (rather than defenders of the public trust). Really. Check it out. Yet this is now and that was before the advent of Video Game Anti-Heroes and Whutnuts.)

Can you imagine the uproar if The Defrocked/Unbadged Pissing Kid Buster (from Piedmont) were involved in this?
(I can't)

Prunepicker
02-18-2014, 07:55 PM
... The only way to stop police from potentially abusing power is by setting
punishments that are greater than civilian punishments...
I disagree. The penalty for a crime should be the same for everyone.

Chadanth
02-18-2014, 08:21 PM

Rare agreement. I also don't believe in separate laws or enhancements for particular classes of victims. A crime is a crime.

ljbab728
02-18-2014, 09:50 PM
An update.

http://newsok.com/moore-police-respond-to-norman-mans-death-outside-warren-theatre/article/3934940

Prunepicker
02-18-2014, 09:53 PM
Rare agreement. I also don't believe in separate laws or enhancements for
particular classes of victims. A crime is a crime.
You agree with me more than you don't About the only thing we disagree
with are less than an handful of science theories.

zookeeper
02-18-2014, 11:13 PM
An update.

Family of man who died in police custody speaks out after officers defend their actions | KFOR.com (http://kfor.com/2014/02/18/family-of-man-who-died-in-police-custody-speaks-out-after-officers-defend-their-actions/)

Listening to the police chief....here's a big change in policing in just the last thirty years. ANY resistance is license for the cops to escalate the situation verbally, with muscle and testosterone-fueled rage. Rage from police officers is a huge problem and it goes back to the violent mindset with so many of these young cops having a military background from a war zone. How is it different these days? Older officers will tell you that there was a time when resistance was expected and they were trained to calm a person down with words and lack of action. "Come on...hey...nobody here wants to be here in this situation. I'm not going to blame anybody here because I don't know what's going on. But we can't have this in the parking lot. Can we all agree this would be better settled in a different way?" No hands on the gun, no throwing the guy hard to the ground or against a vehicle just because he's upset (or, God forbid, he makes a fist). Please. Nobody knows what medications he might be taking, nobody knows anything. Assume the best and that this is a family argument that got out-of-control, but de-escalation is the goal. It begins with verbal de-escalation to calm down the agitated person. The single worst thing that can happen in most of these situations is an army of officers descending on every call as if it's WWIII. Then, you get the young guys running to the situation and almost always - they begin screaming. "Get back!" "Back away!" "Everybody want to go downtown tonight?" "Shut your damn mouth!" "NOW!" Verbal rage from the very people society needs to keep the peace and allow a situation to fizzle out, rather than blow up. About 90% of the time - it's up to the officers on the scene how it's going to end. For this man, it ended in a senseless death in the parking lot.

No, I wasn't there. But I've been there. More times than I care to count. Policing has become just another military patrol and every response is heightened with expectations of a battle. Most officers 40+ know all of this but - guess what? - their superiors are just marking time until they can hang it up and get away from the constant need to babysit their own. There's still a "Blue Wall" but it's getting thinner as the patience is wearing thin. The generational difference is huge among LEO's these days. The younger guys - most all of them - have almost a feeling of (I hate to say it) entitlement that they be in control of every situation, nobody is allowed to have a response to provocative comments or angry pistol-gripping body language, and it's all done by any means necessary. Too many video games, actual combat experience, and feeling like the world owes them a peaceful night, nobody should ever get upset, 100% military-like compliance is expected from citizens - and they expect it come hell or high water, like petulant children.

Welcome to the militarization of local police departments. It ain't pretty.

I've already said too much.

MWCGuy
02-19-2014, 03:09 AM
It sounds to me this situation exploded when they were just trying to figure out what happened. This guy likely blew up and things just got messy from there. I am holding out to see the video. I am thinking the video is likely going to side with the police on this issue. It if was against the police I think it would have been on the 10pm news tonight. We should see video on the 6pm or 10pm news on Wednesday. I think something is missing it's not as cut and dry as the family is playing it out.

Yes many law enforcement personell have military backgrounds however, most of them are men and women with families and they are out there working hard just like the rest of us. They are nice people who truly love serving the community and work hard to help people more then harm them.

Zookeeper I suggest you get out and get away from your computer. I think if you get to know a few law enforcment folks outside of their element you would find they are not the stormtroopers so many bloggers make them out to be. They are nothing more than people with jobs to do just like the rest of us.

kelroy55
02-19-2014, 05:56 AM
I'll still wait for the investigation to finish before I say who did what since I wasn't there.

positano
02-19-2014, 09:54 AM
Seems to me that there is some danger in this thread of premature conclusions based on unsupported conclusions. I would expect that there is some data available on the number of police officers with military experience, and / or military experience in "a war zone", which might be helpful prior to broad declaration that the police have become too "militarized".

tomokc
02-19-2014, 10:04 AM
Seems to me that there is some danger in this thread of premature conclusions based on unsupported conclusions. I would expect that there is some data available on the number of police officers with military experience, and / or military experience in "a war zone", which might be helpful prior to broad declaration that the police have become too "militarized".

Wise. I participate in pilot forums where accidents are discussed starting immediately after they occur. We all recognize that information is sparse, incomplete and many times in error, but there are a lot of experienced pilots who share insight that we all find valuable. The goal is for all of us to be better pilots.

kevinpate
02-19-2014, 11:09 AM

Curious on a point Prune. If the penalty for a crime should be the same for all, should we close down the death penalty and simply leave jurors the sentencing choices of life, no parole option, life with a parole option, or perhaps even just one of those two remaining choices.

Chadanth
02-19-2014, 12:01 PM
Curious on a point Prune. If the penalty for a crime should be the same for all, should we close down the death penalty and simply leave jurors the sentencing choices of life, no parole option, life with a parole option, or perhaps even just one of those two remaining choices.

No, he's referring to differing charges for the same crime depending on who the offender and victim are. i.e., Domestic violence is still just violence. It doesn't need special sentencing guidelines.

BBatesokc
02-19-2014, 05:32 PM
Anyone who knows me knows I'm no cop cheerleader. So, I don't say it lightly when I say (without going into ANY more detail) that the video does indeed clear the police officer(s) of criminal wrongdoing. Trust me on this.

MustangGT
02-19-2014, 11:02 PM
Fortunately the Chief of Moore PD is standing behind his officers as he should. When all the truth finally comes out the family will definitely be looking a lot worse for the experience.

MustangGT
02-19-2014, 11:02 PM

The tired and worn out phrase of militarization of the police is vastly OVERSTATED.

MWCGuy
02-20-2014, 01:24 AM
Fortunately the Chief of Moore PD is standing behind his officers as he should. When all the truth finally comes out the family will definitely be looking a lot worse for the experience.

My take on Moore's Chief is that he will stand behind his officers until they are in the wrong. If they were to be found in the wrong, he sounds like the type of guy who would arrest them himself. I think understand just how much this department stands to loose in this situation. If his department operates or appears to operate in a rogue manner it could cost the City of Moore everything from citizen support, to economic development and government grants.

zookeeper
02-20-2014, 01:33 AM
The tired and worn out phrase of militarization of the police is vastly OVERSTATED.

Look, I hope these guys didn't do anything criminal in Moore. That doesn't mean the situation was handled well.

About the militarization of the police. You say it's vastly overstated. Statistics and arms purchases by local police shows it's probably vastly UNDERstated. Some things aren't up for debate. Even in your neck of the woods, they've moved to black tinted SUV's for the police - isn't that right? This is one of the smaller things, but it's a move in the direction. What percentage of the police in Mustang have been in Iraq and/or Afghanistan trained to be warriors? Not that there's a thing wrong with that decision, the problem is the (rarely) successful transition to civilian law enforcement the way it was practiced for many, many years.

BBatesokc
02-20-2014, 04:35 AM
Look, I hope these guys didn't do anything criminal in Moore. That doesn't mean the situation was handled well....

Based on what I now (know/have seen) this is exactly what its going to come down to - no crime was committed, now begins the discussion of 'could this have been handled differently?'

Not so unlike a video I captured some 12-years ago.

Midtowner
02-20-2014, 05:36 AM

Let's hope the DA of Cleveland County handles things a little better than Lane did.

hoya
02-20-2014, 08:49 AM
There are too many instances of this kind of thing. It shows a deficiency, either in training or in hiring practices. Most of my encounters with police, professional or personal, have been perfectly fine. The great majority of officers I've encountered have been people with good judgment. Sadly there are that handful who go into every encounter hoping that they can clobber someone.

kelroy55
02-20-2014, 09:53 AM
From Wikipedia so not sure how accurate it is but it does show there are LOTS of LEO's of all kinds, don't think this includes Game Wardens and such. When you have a group of professionals this large there will always be a small percentage who give the rest a bad name. To say the police are out of control is just focusing on that small percentage. I ride motorcycles but to some we're all Hell Angels. If the officers did something wrong it will be brought out but to go off on a rant about cops being out of control is a bit premature (imho)

The 2012 Bureau of Justice Statistics' Census of State and Local Law Enforcement Agencies (CSLLEA), found there were 17,985 state and local law enforcement agencies employing at least one full-time officer or the equivalent in part-time officers.

In 2008, state and local law enforcement agencies employed more than 1.1 million persons on a full-time basis, including about 765,000 sworn personnel (defined as those with general arrest powers). Agencies also employed approximately 100,000 part-time employees, including 44,000 sworn officers.

From 2004 to 2008, overall full-time employment by state and local law enforcement agencies nationwide increased by about 57,000 (or 5.3%). Sworn personnel increased by about 33,000 (4.6%), and nonsworn employees by about 24,000 (6.9%). From 2004 to 2008, the number of full-time sworn personnel per 100,000 U.S. residents increased from 250 to 251. From 1992 to 2008, the growth rate for civilian personnel was more than double that of sworn personnel.

Local police departments were the largest employer of sworn personnel, accounting for 60% of the total. Sheriffs' offices were next, accounting for 24%. About half (49%) of all agencies employed fewer than 10 full-time officers. Nearly two-thirds (64%) of sworn personnel worked for agencies that employed 100 or more officers.

Dubya61
02-20-2014, 10:34 AM
From ... officers.

Kurse you K55 and your faKts! I was just about to make a killing with my ALCOA stock!

Garin
02-21-2014, 03:11 PM
Based on what I now (know/have seen) this is exactly what its going to come down to - no crime was committed, now begins the discussion of 'could this have been handled differently?'

How did you get to see the video already? Can you share any other info about it, did the guy attack the cops first

BBatesokc
02-21-2014, 03:20 PM
How did you get to see the video already? Can you share any other info about it, did the guy attack the cops first

Can't discuss the how's and when's. Just that the family's account is skewed by their obvious (and understandable) bias. Regardless, there will be many who still find fault with the police - but no jury would ever convict based on what the video shows.

MustangGT
02-22-2014, 05:06 PM
Look, I hope these guys didn't do anything criminal in Moore. That doesn't mean the situation was handled well.

About the militarization of the police. You say it's vastly overstated. Statistics and arms purchases by local police shows it's probably vastly UNDERstated. Some things aren't up for debate.

Well if you think the debate is over you have missed the mark by miles. Many current LEO's are currently military or former military and so what? If you really want to know what you are popping off about I suggest you try OKC's Citizen Police Academy. Until then your statements are not base upon fact but opinion. Hopefully the Cleveland County DA does not file charges in order to pander to a very vocal group that really has no clue about the reality of what occurred. Frankly Lane mishandled virtually EVERYTING in his office during his thankfully over regime.

zookeeper
02-22-2014, 07:20 PM
Well if you think the debate is over you have missed the mark by miles. Many current LEO's are currently military or former military and so what? If you really want to know what you are popping off about I suggest you try OKC's Citizen Police Academy. Until then your statements are not base upon fact but opinion. Hopefully the Cleveland County DA does not file charges in order to pander to a very vocal group that really has no clue about the reality of what occurred. Frankly Lane mishandled virtually EVERYTING in his office during his thankfully over regime.

My thoughts are not "popping off" and I hope you understand the difference from my criticism of the nationwide militarization of local police and the Moore situation.

MustandGT, I'm well aware of the OKC Police Academy and it means nothing to this discussion. Where did that even come from? Your refusal to accept that, however nice these young guys just out of Iraq/Afghanistan are in their off-time has nothing to do with anything. The issue is the profession being militarized in part by individuals trained in warfare in these war zones and the difficulties of transition to civilian police work.

Is that so difficult to understand without your personal jabs about, "popping off?"

And I meant the debate over the militarization of local police. It's undeniable. So, no, there is no debate on the facts and statistics. The debate is over how much of an influence it has become in local departments.

positano
02-23-2014, 06:52 AM
My thoughts are not "popping off" and I hope you understand the difference from my criticism of the nationwide militarization of local police and the Moore situation.

MustandGT, I'm well aware of the OKC Police Academy and it means nothing to this discussion. Where did that even come from? Your refusal to accept that, however nice these young guys just out of Iraq/Afghanistan are in their off-time has nothing to do with anything. The issue is the profession being militarized in part by individuals trained in warfare in these war zones and the difficulties of transition to civilian police work.

Is that so difficult to understand without your personal jabs about, "popping off?"

And I meant the debate over the militarization of local police. It's undeniable. So, no, there is no debate on the facts and statistics. The debate is over how much of an influence it has become in local departments.

You've mentioned in more than one post now that law enforcement efforts have become influenced (negatively) due to militarization, and in particular, suggested that these veterans served in combat zones and that is somehow influencing their conduct. I ask again (and I don't know the answer): what statistics are you seeing that law enforcement is hiring increasing number of military folks and how many of them served in a combat zone? Correct me if I'm wrong, but am I misunderstanding that your inference is that this incident, and others like it, are caused by ex-military police officers that are more likely to become combative than a police officer without a military background? If so, I would be interested in the statistics that support the theory.

Garin
02-23-2014, 08:20 AM
I finally got to talk to my neighbor yesterday about this situation. He told me that the video will never be shown because it doesn't show anything, it was reviewed then given back to the family and the families attorney also agreed it wouldn't be a good idea to realize the video. The ME found no broken bones only some pavement scrapes on the victims face. No punches were thrown by either side, no batons were used, only maze and 5 guys trying to wrestle the dude to the ground. They think he might have suffered a heart attack during the scuffle. He said that the only mistake that was made was not having a press conference sooner. He does believe the Feds will get involved because the wife will try to turn it into a civil matter.

Chadanth
02-25-2014, 10:32 AM
I finally got to talk to my neighbor yesterday about this situation. He told me that the video will never be shown because it doesn't show anything, it was reviewed then given back to the family and the families attorney also agreed it wouldn't be a good idea to realize the video. The ME found no broken bones only some pavement scrapes on the victims face. No punches were thrown by either side, no batons were used, only maze and 5 guys trying to wrestle the dude to the ground. They think he might have suffered a heart attack during the scuffle. He said that the only mistake that was made was not having a press conference sooner. He does believe the Feds will get involved because the wife will try to turn it into a civil matter.

GRAPHIC: Raw video of arrest released after man dies in Moore police custody | KFOR.com (http://kfor.com/2014/02/25/graphic-raw-video-of-arrest-released-after-man-dies-in-moore-police-custody/)

gjl
02-25-2014, 10:32 AM
n/m

Of Sound Mind
02-25-2014, 11:06 AM
… He told me that the video will never be shown …

GRAPHIC: Raw video of arrest released after man dies in Moore police custody | KFOR.com (http://kfor.com/2014/02/25/graphic-raw-video-of-arrest-released-after-man-dies-in-moore-police-custody/)
Well, so much for reliable sources...

Dennis Heaton
02-25-2014, 11:28 AM
Hmmmmmmmmm...

Midtowner
02-25-2014, 11:35 AM
If there is additional video, it's evidence. As soon as the investigation is closed, it's going to be a public record and obtainable through the Open Records act and if not FOIA, then through a subpoena. And once those records make it into evidence, the public gets to see it.