View Full Version : Reverse angle parking... your thoughts?

MCC
02-14-2014, 07:41 AM
I've heard that this "reverse angle parking" concept is being tried or tested over by UCO. Has something to do with the bike lanes? What are some thoughts on this?

jerrywall
02-14-2014, 08:20 AM
I think it's a good idea, but it's going to take enforcement and training. I anticipate folks parking front in from the opposite direction, which will negate the safety benefits.

traxx
02-14-2014, 09:06 AM
If they can get it to work, great. But I can see this being an issue. It's the same with parallel parking. You have to pull pass the space and if someone is behind, they don't always give you the space to put your car in reverse and back into the space.

BBatesokc
02-14-2014, 09:17 AM
This has been discussed somewhere here before. I've slowly become a fan of reverse angle parking. I have to did it a lot when we go to Austin and it does seem to work well.

I really wish they'd do this in downtown Edmond. It can be a nightmare to back out onto Broadway if a taller/longer vehicle is next to you.

I agree though, it takes the cooperation of the people behind you for this to work.

Roger S
02-14-2014, 09:29 AM
This has been discussed somewhere here before. I've slowly become a fan of reverse angle parking. I have to did it a lot when we go to Austin and it does seem to work well.

I believe it was discussed on the Lindsey Street thread.

warreng88
02-14-2014, 09:47 AM
Am I the only one who think people will just cross the street and park on the other side the other way because that's how they are used to doing it?

kevinpate
02-14-2014, 10:01 AM
Am I the only one who think people will just cross the street and park on the other side the other way because that's how they are used to doing it?

Sadly, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see that happen. I don't go into Edmond except on a have to basis, but what Brian noted about backing out on Broadway could be applied in many communities. I rarely park on Main in DT Norman for the same reason. Folks blaze through DT Norman like crazy. I hate backing out in our DT ... unless I am the one in the big tank. Daddy bought beemers and Soccer mom crossovers tend to give wide berths to the 20+ year tank.

If I am in my lovely's Honda or other regular size vehicle, I park elsewhere.

LakeEffect
02-14-2014, 10:26 AM

This is how people on NW 7th at Hudson are doing it. There is no signage telling them what to do...

Plutonic Panda
02-14-2014, 11:50 AM

I really wish they'd do this in downtown Edmond. It can be a nightmare to back out onto Broadway if a taller/longer vehicle is next to you.

I agree though, it takes the cooperation of the people behind you for this to work.Downtown Edmond needs parallel parking, not reverse angled, imo.

OkieHornet
02-17-2014, 01:45 PM
for a little background, there's only 2 parts of university avenue that have this - about 5-6 spots in front of campus optical, and about 10 spots in front of an apartment building just south of ayers.

the vast majority of drivers don't know how to angle park, apparently. it definitely is going to require some education.

David
02-19-2014, 01:14 PM
I've taken a look at these a couple times recently, and have only ever seen about two cars parked correctly in them. I'm not sure if this style of parking is a good idea if nobody knows how to use them.

Plutonic Panda
03-13-2014, 12:55 AM
Eye doctor appeals city-imposed reverse office parking » Local News » The Edmond Sun (http://www.edmondsun.com/local/x787206801/Eye-doctor-appeals-city-imposed-reverse-office-parking)

AP
03-13-2014, 09:17 AM
Eye doctor appeals city-imposed reverse office parking » Local News » The Edmond Sun (http://www.edmondsun.com/local/x787206801/Eye-doctor-appeals-city-imposed-reverse-office-parking)

My favorite part of this article is where she says people going to the eye doctor are mostly older. Shouldn't everyone go to the eye doctor once a year? I know I do. I'm not sure it has anything to do with age.

Plutonic Panda
03-13-2014, 09:49 AM
Yeah... it really has to do with people being afraid of change. People say they can't use it because it confusing and people don't understand how it works, WELL LEARN HOW TO USE IT!!!! lol How are people going to get used to something if they don't even try it? Have to start somewhere.

Dubya61
03-13-2014, 11:32 AM
If I were to try to teach the various parking methods to my teen-aged daughter, I'd lots rather teach her reverse angle parking and feel better about what I think she could accomplish. This just seems like a no-brainer to me.

Just the facts
03-13-2014, 12:02 PM
If I were to try to teach the various parking methods to my teen-aged daughter, I'd lots rather teach her reverse angle parking and feel better about what I think she could accomplish. This just seems like a no-brainer to me.

I don't get it either. Back into an empty parking space or back into the street - one of those just seems so much safer and easier to me. Couple that with the trunk of the car being at the sidewalk and open doors creating a barrier between passengers (especially children) and the street and honestly, I don't know why we even allow front-in parking at all. I have started backing in the driveway at home. It makes leaving so much easier.

I had to laugh at the lady in the article who got confused about the angle of the parking and pulled in front-first even though she was going the wrong way with traffic. How ingrained is parking habits that despite visual clues all over the place that you are doing it wrong - you do it anyhow?

David
03-13-2014, 12:59 PM
Again, the theory of these new parking spaces is fine, but almost nobody who is actually using them understands how they are supposed to park in them. I'll take another look when I drive by later today, but I really don't expect to see much of a difference compared to the last few times I have checked.

Just the facts
03-13-2014, 08:55 PM
Maybe they should just put a sign at each parking space that reads:

If you can
read this
you are a
Moron. -
Back in
next time

:)

David
03-14-2014, 07:52 AM
Yeah, when I drove by the apartments yesterday not a single person was parked correctly. It's pretty clear that just painting the stripes and hoping the public figures it out is not working.

Just the facts
03-14-2014, 08:22 AM
Yeah, when I drove by the apartments yesterday not a single person was parked correctly. It's pretty clear that just painting the stripes and hoping the public figures it out is not working.

Maybe the city should park a city vehicle there correctly for a few days so people have an example.

David
03-14-2014, 09:41 AM
Aside from yesterday when there were none parked correctly, there are usually one or two correct and the rest incorrect when I drive by. One or two correct examples is already not helping.

Just the facts
03-14-2014, 09:57 AM
Aside from yesterday when there were none parked correctly, there are usually one or two correct and the rest incorrect when I drive by. One or two correct examples is already not helping.

I guess Ron White was correct then... you can't fix stupid. Time for a cop to stand there writing warning tickets for a week or so before switching over to real tickets.

traxx
03-14-2014, 10:41 AM
It's pretty clear that just painting the stripes and hoping the public figures it out is not working.

Why would one think that'd work? If it did, then they could've saved a lot of money doing Project 180 and just painted a yellow stripe down the middle of the streets and said "This bitch is two way now."

When people have driven a certain way for so many years, you can't just expect them to change without a little coaching.

David
03-14-2014, 11:36 AM
Why would one think that'd work? If it did, then they could've saved a lot of money doing Project 180 and just painted a yellow stripe down the middle of the streets and said "This bitch is two way now."

When people have driven a certain way for so many years, you can't just expect them to change without a little coaching.

That's pretty much my point exactly.

What I'm starting to despair of is the people sitting on the sidelines calling the people who aren't parking right idiots for not being mind-readers.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Just the facts
03-14-2014, 08:52 PM
That's pretty much my point exactly.

What I'm starting to despair of is the people sitting on the sidelines calling the people who aren't parking right idiots for not being mind-readers.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

To be fair, I was just kidding about the sign - hence the smiley face. However, there is a sign and physical examples not to mention the parking spaces are backwards. What are you supposed to call people who can't figure that out after a couple of days?

I didn't understand the HAWK system the first time I encountered either, but I only had Google it to figure it out, which I did that first night.

The new flashing yellow left turn arrows must be confusing the hell out of people.

Plutonic Panda
03-14-2014, 09:20 PM
To be fair, I was just kidding about the sign - hence the smiley face. However, there is a sign and physical examples not to mention the parking spaces are backwards. What are you supposed to call people who can't figure that out after a couple of days?

I didn't understand the HAWK system the first time I encountered either, but I only had Google it to figure it out, which I did that first night.

The new flashing yellow left turn arrows must be confusing the hell out of people.Dude, I heard some people talking the other day that they were confused that a construction sign in Edmond said the speed limit for that area was temporarily lowered to 25mph but the original speed limit was 45mph and there was a sign a few yards behind it, so they didn't know how fast to go when it had clearly stated in a big red sign the speed limit was lowered to 25mph for the duration of the construction zone... I mean how do you attempt to explain things to people like that?

Plutonic Panda
03-25-2014, 09:45 PM
Continuance requested on reverse angle parking » Local News » The Edmond Sun (http://www.edmondsun.com/local/x1984799923/Continuance-requested-on-reverse-angle-parking)

David
03-25-2014, 11:18 PM
It'd be pretty hilarious if the reverse angle parking ends up getting removed on account of being illegal. IANAL, but the quoted statute seems pretty blatant about when backing up while on the road is legal.

“No vehicle shall be backed upon any street or highway except for such distance as may be necessary to permit the vehicle to enter the proper driving lane from a parked position. Such backing shall be done only after the driver of said vehicle has ascertained that such movement can be made without endangering other traffic.”

That said, that particular reading of the statute seems like it would also make parallel parking illegal, which is rather unlikely as I distinctly remember that being a part of the state driving test.

No clue what the second quote statute means or why it is being referenced. Boundary line? As in the boundary line of the city?

LakeEffect
03-27-2014, 09:55 AM
I'm more concerned by the complaints being raised... they are complaining about not being able to reverse safely, but they already HAVE to do it when leaving the space. The complainers need to have alternative forms of travel if they can't safely operate a vehicle period.

David
09-05-2014, 12:15 PM
Half a year in, and six out of seven people still have no idea how to use them.

Not pictured: a close up of the truck at the end that while parked "correctly" was also a good two feet over the line, as well as a shot of the guy at the eye clinic who parked front first while I was walking by.

I can't help but think that it's time to give up on the idea and repaint the stripes.

td25er
09-05-2014, 12:42 PM
Are they giving tickets? Give tickets with no mercy and people will learn.

catch22
09-05-2014, 01:11 PM
Maybe someone could print out some pieces of paper and put them on the windows of these cars?

My motto is, if I am doing something wrong, tell me about it so I can fix it. Unfortunately a lot of people don't have that attitude but it may be worth a try?

Then if they have the knowledge and the city comes out and issues a ticket, they know why.

Geographer
09-05-2014, 01:24 PM
Half a year in, and six out of seven people still have no idea how to use them.

Not pictured: a close up of the truck at the end that while parked "correctly" was also a good two feet over the line, as well as a shot of the guy at the eye clinic who parked front first while I was walking by.

I can't help but think that it's time to give up on the idea and repaint the stripes.

Tears literally came out of my eyes because I am laughing so hard at this picture....

David
09-05-2014, 01:33 PM
Swap out the cars and that's what that stretch of parking has looked like for months. I was planning since this morning to post an update, and I had no doubt in my mind what I would find once I had a chance to wander by and take a picture.

gopokes88
09-05-2014, 02:00 PM
You need like three dummy cars parked there 24/7 so people can see what they're trying to accomplish. Hilarious.

Dubya61
09-12-2014, 02:45 PM
You need like three dummy cars parked there 24/7 so people can see what they're trying to accomplish. Hilarious.

I can't see the picture big enough (or my eyesight is crappy enough), but doesn't the sign say how to park there?
Further, the three dummy cars would only be made fun of by those who think they're doing the right thing.

RadicalModerate
09-12-2014, 11:10 PM
Reverse Angle Parking--within the context of the local discussion-- is the best idea since sliced bread.
As long as the breadbox isn't too inattentive to accept it.

It's been tried before . . . along with streetcars and bicycles.
In Central OKC.

Hopefully, local folks are a bit more in tune with automobile operation.
Without the distraction of cell phoning.

Again: Reverse angle parking. Good idea.
Make it so. =)

[img]http://gaylefrancismoffet.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/picard_facepalm.png

Edited to Add: Thx to OP fer noticing room for improvement in this regard.

David
10-15-2014, 02:46 PM
I happened to be walking by at lunchtime so I snapped another picture. Another month, another set of people who have no idea how to park in these (well, technically some of the cars are the same as the ones from my September picture, but I digress):

(In case anyone is wondering why I keep beating this dead horse, my goal here is to establish a publicly available set of pictures that can be pointed to in case the bright minds responsible for the above want to implement reverse angle parking anywhere else in Edmond.)

Plutonic Panda
10-15-2014, 04:24 PM
You know what, every time I pass by there I'm going to start taking pictures.