View Full Version : Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market to I-240/Sooner?

bchris02
02-12-2014, 10:32 PM
Any revived talk of the Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market at I-240 and Sooner? One was planned and then called off when 2008 happened. Usually I am not a fan of Wal-Mart, but being that this area is a pretty populated suburban area and is un-served by a grocery store within reasonable distance, I think a Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market would be perfect and would fill a niche. Here is the area I am talking about.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o214/bchris02/I-240Sooner_zps3cc3ccf5.jpg

Right now the nearest options are Homeland on 29th in Del City or Crest on Eastern and 12th in Moore. Anybody heard of any plans for a grocery store in that area?

Plutonic Panda
02-13-2014, 01:20 AM
Man I sure hope not. We really don't need any other Walmart's here in OKC lol.... there is already going to be 2(possibly 3) more built in Edmond alone. One super center in north Edmond near Waterloo RD. and a neighborhood Market in N. Edmond closer to I-35 around the proposed Crest. I have also heard that Walmart is still very interested in an area around Oak Tree somewhere.

bchris02
02-13-2014, 05:24 AM
Man I sure hope not. We really don't need any other Walmart's here in OKC lol.... there is already going to be 2(possibly 3) more built in Edmond alone. One super center in north Edmond near Waterloo RD. and a neighborhood Market in N. Edmond closer to I-35 around the proposed Crest. I have also heard that Walmart is still very interested in an area around Oak Tree somewhere.

Wow I didn't realize that. That's bad news. I guess they are trying to make sure Reasor's or Kroger never come to Edmond. Meanwhile, this area I am talking about here has NO grocery stores within a reasonable distance.

Dubya61
02-13-2014, 09:06 AM
What would you call a reasonable distance? Perhaps its the Okie in me talking, but there's the Homeland at SE 29th and Sunnylane, a Wal-Mart Supercenter at I-240 and Santa Fe, another Wal-Mart Supercenter at I-40 and Sooner, a Buy-for-Less at I-35 and SE 44th, a Crest at Reno and Douglas, Dollar Generals at Sooner and 89th, 44th and Sunnylane, 134th and Eastern, a Braums at 44th and Sunnylane, and there's even members-only stores on TAFB and at 29th and Sooner-ish (Sams Club). I don't see this area as being underserved so desperately that they need a Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market. If I were playing Sim City and wanted to add a grocery store, I'd add a Country Boy to I-240 and Anderson Road.

Plutonic Panda
02-13-2014, 11:59 AM
Wow I didn't realize that. That's bad news. I guess they are trying to make sure Reasor's or Kroger never come to Edmond. Meanwhile, this area I am talking about here has NO grocery stores within a reasonable distance.I don't think any new Walmart stores will prevent any higher-end grocers from entering the area. We are talking about two different markets here.

bombermwc
02-13-2014, 12:46 PM
What would you call a reasonable distance? Perhaps its the Okie in me talking, but there's the Homeland at SE 29th and Sunnylane, a Wal-Mart Supercenter at I-240 and Santa Fe, another Wal-Mart Supercenter at I-40 and Sooner, a Buy-for-Less at I-35 and SE 44th, a Crest at Reno and Douglas, Dollar Generals at Sooner and 89th, 44th and Sunnylane, 134th and Eastern, a Braums at 44th and Sunnylane, and there's even members-only stores on TAFB and at 29th and Sooner-ish (Sams Club). I don't see this area as being underserved so desperately that they need a Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market. If I were playing Sim City and wanted to add a grocery store, I'd add a Country Boy to I-240 and Anderson Road.

Those of that live near 240/Sooner want a real grocery store that isn't a 15 minute drive one-way like all of those you listed. The population in the area continues to grow, as well as the commercial development (albeit slow). We're tired of there not being a quick option for things other than a few gas stations with overpriced and expired items.

ljbab728
02-13-2014, 09:59 PM
Those of that live near 240/Sooner want a real grocery store that isn't a 15 minute drive one-way like all of those you listed. The population in the area continues to grow, as well as the commercial development (albeit slow). We're tired of there not being a quick option for things other than a few gas stations with overpriced and expired items.
I'm not trying to be caustic but didn't you know that when you moved there?

bchris02
02-13-2014, 10:27 PM
I'm not trying to be caustic but didn't you know that when you moved there?

It's really surprising there isn't already a grocery store in the area. It has exploded in the past decade and it would make sense that Wal-Mart, Crest, or somebody would want to open a store there. That area also has some of the best value for suburban homes anywhere in the metro especially on the lower end of the price spectrum. I am sure the lack of nearby amenities as well as not being very convenient to most of OKC plays a part in that. It is great for people who work at Tinker though

ljbab728
02-13-2014, 10:33 PM
I'm certainly not saying that the area isn't prime for a nice store, it just seems to be a little funny to move to a fairly undeveloped area and then complain because a store you want isn't nearer a few years later.

MWCGuy
02-14-2014, 03:32 AM
It surprises me that Braum's has not built in that area. No matter where you live in the city it's always nice to have a store that is within a 5 minute drive. People in that area are likely killing at least 30 minutes just for a bread and milk run. Most people in the city can get it knocked out and be back home in 15 minutes.

bombermwc
02-14-2014, 06:37 AM
I didn't move there because it was "fairly undeveloped". I moved there because of the convenient location in comparison to my job and my wife's job. The price/size/location were all right. Yes, we realized there wasn't a grocery store nearby at the time, but I don't really see what bearing that has on a desire to have one close by.

The Copper Creek development would have had that, as well as quite a few other things had North Star not chickened out <- yet another example of their lack of any balls to do anything properly.

ljbab728
02-14-2014, 09:45 PM
I didn't move there because it was "fairly undeveloped". I moved there because of the convenient location in comparison to my job and my wife's job. The price/size/location were all right. Yes, we realized there wasn't a grocery store nearby at the time, but I don't really see what bearing that has on a desire to have one close by.

The Copper Creek development would have had that, as well as quite a few other things had North Star not chickened out <- yet another example of their lack of any balls to do anything properly.
Please note that I didn't say you moved there because it was fairly undeveloped. I said it was fairly undeveloped when you moved there. But, in retrospect, it's not much different than all of the people moving into the downtown area and hoping for more close grocery options to appear.

SoonerDave
02-14-2014, 10:12 PM

The Homeland at 29th and Sunnylane is gone.
The WalMart at I-240 and Santa Fe is an unqualified dump
Getting to Reno and Douglas from I-240 and Sooner is a bigger pain than you might realize
Dollar Generals are hardly a substitute for an actual grocery store

I can't cite specific statistics, but I do recall the reason WalMart starting throwing up Neighborhood Markets in OKC in the first place was because market density for grocery stores indicated the city could support *several* more stores, particularly with the decline in Albertson's/Skaggs/IGA/Buchanans et al in the area over the last 10-20 years. And the success of those markets would, generally, suggest they were right. Seems like I read that grocers look at densities in something like a three-mile (?) radius at certain demographically critical locations in a city/region and do some math voodoo to determine how many grocery stores a region could support. Pretty darned sure I remember a report saying OKC, in general, was fairly significantly "underserved."

Don't get me wrong - I'm no huge fan of WalMart NM's, as I find them to be glorified 7-11's with about the same selection minus a Slurpee machine, but the growth in the I-240 area between Sooner and Air Depot suggests to me that some type of grocer will be heading that way sooner rather than later.

bchris02
02-14-2014, 11:17 PM
The Homeland at 29th and Sunnylane is gone.
The WalMart at I-240 and Santa Fe is an unqualified dump
Getting to Reno and Douglas from I-240 and Sooner is a bigger pain than you might realize

I can't cite specific statistics, but I do recall the reason WalMart starting throwing up Neighborhood Markets in OKC in the first place was because market density for grocery stores indicated the city could support *several* more stores, particularly with the decline in Albertson's/Skaggs/IGA/Buchanans et al in the area over the last 10-20 years. And the success of those markets would, generally, suggest they were right. Seems like I read that grocers look at densities in something like a three-mile (?) radius at certain demographically critical locations in a city/region and do some math voodoo to determine how many grocery stores a region could support. Pretty darned sure I remember a report saying OKC, in general, was fairly significantly "underserved."

Don't get me wrong - I'm no huge fan of WalMart NM's, as I find them to be glorified 7-11's with about the same selection minus a Slurpee machine, but the growth in the I-240 area between Sooner and Air Depot suggests to me that some type of grocer will be heading that way sooner rather than later.

Is Homeland at 29th and Sunnylane really gone? I know the one at 44th and Sunnylane closed but I am pretty sure 29th and Sunnylane is still open unless it very recently closed. It's still listed on Homeland's website.

I agree that OKC is a very underserved market and I am also not a huge fan of Wal-Mart Neighborhood Markets, though I much prefer them to Supercenters. It's still amazing how far people drive for grocery stores here considering every other city I am familiar with has several options within a 5-minute drive of anywhere in the metro area. The area in question here though needs a grocery store and Wal-Mart is likely the only grocer in the market that would be a real candidate.

SoonerDave
02-15-2014, 10:38 AM
Is Homeland at 29th and Sunnylane really gone? I know the one at 44th and Sunnylane closed but I am pretty sure 29th and Sunnylane is still open unless it very recently closed. It's still listed on Homeland's website.

I agree that OKC is a very underserved market and I am also not a huge fan of Wal-Mart Neighborhood Markets, though I much prefer them to Supercenters. It's still amazing how far people drive for grocery stores here considering every other city I am familiar with has several options within a 5-minute drive of anywhere in the metro area. The area in question here though needs a grocery store and Wal-Mart is likely the only grocer in the market that would be a real candidate.

My mistake completely. I was thinking of the one at 44th. Good catch! :)

Spartan
02-17-2014, 07:43 AM
Any revived talk of the Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market at I-240 and Sooner? One was planned and then called off when 2008 happened. Usually I am not a fan of Wal-Mart, but being that this area is a pretty populated suburban area and is un-served by a grocery store within reasonable distance, I think a Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market would be perfect and would fill a niche. Here is the area I am talking about.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o214/bchris02/I-240Sooner_zps3cc3ccf5.jpg

Right now the nearest options are Homeland on 29th in Del City or Crest on Eastern and 12th in Moore. Anybody heard of any plans for a grocery store in that area?

How can you argue FOR a new Walmart in one thread and the botch and moan in every other thread how Charlotte development is so much cooler than OKC development.

bchris02
02-17-2014, 04:25 PM
How can you argue FOR a new Walmart in one thread and the botch and moan in every other thread how Charlotte development is so much cooler than OKC development.

There are very few locations that I would argue for a new Wal-Mart but that location is one of them. If there was another competing chain in OKC that could possibly step up to the plate I would much rather see that than a Wal-Mart. However, such is non-existent here and a Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market is about the only thing that area has a hope of getting.

Charlotte has nothing to do with this conversation. If this were Charlotte, that area would already have a Harris Teeter and also a Food Lion or Bi-Lo.

Joe Kimball
02-17-2014, 09:20 PM
We had Food Lion in the 1990s. They left with the decrease in business over the false-dating-in-the-meat-market expose, one of many in that era, that one of the evening news magazines did, IIRC.

bombermwc
02-18-2014, 06:50 AM
The Food Lion on Sooner would have been a good option, not for the above mentioned issue with selling expired meat...bleh.

I'm not a fan of Walmart NM either. But it is at least the better alternative, and the most likely to happen here. We won't see a Crest, since it's smack dab between two of them (moore/Douglas). Don't count on Homeland or Buy 4 Less either. WMNM is about the only thing with a strong enough corporate base to "risk" it if they feel like the area isn't dense enough yet. It's building, but slowly.

I will say, the new one on Reno in MWC is a far cry from some of the others I've seen. It's a much nicer store (albeit a weird layout) more similar to the small-sized Albertson's on Post (now a buy 4 less). They managed to cram quite a bit into the new store on Reno. If you haven't been in one of the newer store designs, I think you are also missing out on what a NM is these days. It's definitely not the craphole they used to be.....it's still walmart, but it's a WHOLE different experience from going into the big box store...shudder.

Dubya61
02-18-2014, 12:08 PM

IMHO, I think that Dollar Generals (and they are expanding here a lot, lately) are a bigger threat to the grocery market than bchris's boogey man: Wal-Mart.

Dubya61
02-18-2014, 12:19 PM
If there was another competing chain in OKC that could possibly step up to the plate I would much rather see that than a Wal-Mart. However, such is non-existent here and a Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market is about the only thing that area has a hope of getting.

There is a "chain" (of 2 stores in Harrah and Little Axe) that I think should put in a store near this area:

If I were playing Sim City and wanted to add a grocery store, I'd add a Country Boy to I-240 and Anderson Road.

Country Boy Markets (http://www.countryboymarket.com/welcome.html)

gamecock
02-18-2014, 01:01 PM
IMHO, I think that Dollar Generals (and they are expanding here a lot, lately) are a bigger threat to the grocery market than bchris's boogey man: Wal-Mart.

Yes, I have noticed the Dollar General expansion, too. Boy, we sure do have the low end of the market well covered . . . even Crest, which I like, sells itself on Rock Bottom Prices . . . it's really too bad.

Plutonic Panda
02-18-2014, 01:03 PM
How can you argue FOR a new Walmart in one thread and the botch and moan in every other thread how Charlotte development is so much cooler than OKC development.It's called being realistic. Bchris knows that hell will freeze over before a Harris Teeter or Tom Thumb is built here, so for the time being, a Walmart NM would be a good solution. Just because you don't want to see massive super centers built around the metro doesn't mean you can't argue FOR a NM.

bchris02
02-18-2014, 08:04 PM
Yes, I have noticed the Dollar General expansion, too. Boy, we sure do have the low end of the market well covered . . . even Crest, which I like, sells itself on Rock Bottom Prices . . . it's really too bad.

Welcome to Oklahoma City. It's really quite mindnumbing that a city this size that supposedly has one of the best economies in the nation continues to get the middle finger from major retailers.

It's called being realistic. Bchris knows that hell will freeze over before a Harris Teeter or Tom Thumb is built here, so for the time being, a Walmart NM would be a good solution. Just because you don't want to see massive super centers built around the metro doesn't mean you can't argue FOR a NM.

Exactly.

Personally, I don't really have issues with Wal-Mart Neighborhood Markets other than the fact they are chronically understaffed. A real grocery chain like Kroger/Harris Teeter, Publix, etc will not come anywhere near OKC in the immediate future, so the best we can hope for in an underserved area like I-240/Sooner is a Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market. It's the massive Supercenters that I despise.

Dubya61
02-19-2014, 11:14 AM
... the best we can hope for in an underserved area like I-240/Sooner is a Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market.

I so totally fail to understand this. Why would a WMNM be better than ANY OTHER local grocer?
(but then, again, I totally fail to understand why the Homeland at 29th and Sunnylane is too far -- 5 miles and 9 minutes from 89th and Sooner according to Google Maps)
(but then, again, I totally fail to believe that the I-240 and Santa Fe Wal-Mart Supercenter is either sub-par to other Wal-Mart Supercenters or is too far -- 6 miles and 8 minutes from 89th and Sooner according to Google Maps)
(but then, again, I can't understand why the Moore Crest Foods is too far away -- 5 miles and 8 minutes from 89th and Sooner according to Google Maps).

bchris02
02-19-2014, 11:46 AM
I so totally fail to understand this. Why would a WMNM be better than ANY OTHER local grocer?
(but then, again, I totally fail to understand why the Homeland at 29th and Sunnylane is too far -- 5 miles and 9 minutes from 89th and Sooner according to Google Maps)
(but then, again, I totally fail to believe that the I-240 and Santa Fe Wal-Mart Supercenter is either sub-par to other Wal-Mart Supercenters or is too far -- 6 miles and 8 minutes from 89th and Sooner according to Google Maps)
(but then, again, I can't understand why the Moore Crest Foods is too far away -- 5 miles and 8 minutes from 89th and Sooner according to Google Maps).

Crest isn't likely to build in that location. Homeland and Buy for Less are not expanding. That leaves a WMNM as the only possibility.

As for the existing options, Google Maps doesn't account for traffic or waiting at stop lights. Some of my family lives in that area so I am very familiar with it. A grocery run generally takes about 10-15 minutes one way. That's not really acceptable for a growing area like that.

Dubya61
02-19-2014, 12:00 PM
A grocery run generally takes about 10-15 minutes one way. That's not really acceptable for a growing area like that.

I suppose that's very subjective. I live equidistant from two full service grocery stores (the nearest ones to my house -- both Country Boy Markets). 8 miles and 12 minutes or 15 minutes, according to Google Maps. I'm content with that distance and can't imagine that I need somthing closer to be acceptable. Further, I also shop at other stores (my favorites: Crest on 104th and S. May and the I-240 and Santa Fe Wal-Mart Supercenter) as they are on the way home from work.
I suppose it's all subjective.
Do you really think 10 - 15 minutes is too far?

bchris02
02-19-2014, 12:32 PM
10-15 minutes is acceptable, even decent when you live in a rural area. It's not when you live in an urban or growing suburban area however.

Edmond_Outsider
12-14-2014, 01:01 PM
There's a neighborhood market being built now at 48th and sooner. It has a gas station also.

bombermwc
12-31-2014, 07:40 AM
The signage finally went up....as if we didn't already know, it's a WMNM.

jccouger
12-31-2014, 08:19 AM
Is it on 48th or on 240?

bombermwc
01-02-2015, 07:18 AM
Sooner/48th was the empty lot between the car wash and the new apartments, across from The Embers.