View Full Version : Herbal Drug Kratom Could Be Banned In HB 2666

Bunty
02-12-2014, 12:21 AM
Rep. David Derby of Owasso, in his proposed bill, wants to add the herbal drug Kratom to Oklahoma's list of Schedule 1 drugs. Specifically to be banned are two alkaloids found in Kratom called mitragynine and 7-hydroxymitragynine. Those two references are found in House Bill 2666. Presumably, since Kratom contains those two substances, sales would have to be banned in Oklahoma. HB 2666 is a rather large bill that contains numerous references to drugs and drug related terminology. Who knows what else might be in there. Derby's email is: david.derby@okhouse.gov

Kratom is a drug some people have found useful to use in place of opiates. Unlike opiates, Kratom is unknown to be the sole cause of any deaths. Seems like an odd time to ban Kratom in Oklahoma, considering deaths in Oklahoma blamed on prescription pain medication is going up, with as many as two every day.

Kratom: The latest legal plant-based high | Fox News (http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/12/04/kratom-latest-legal-plant-based-high/)

bchris02
02-12-2014, 05:47 AM
Rep. David Derby of Owasso, in his proposed bill, wants to add the herbal drug Kratom to Oklahoma's list of Schedule 1 drugs. Specifically to be banned are two alkaloids found in Kratom called mitragynine and 7-hydroxymitragynine. Those two references are found in House Bill 2666. Presumably, since Kratom contains those two substances, sales would have to be banned in Oklahoma. HB 2666 is a rather large bill that contains numerous references to drugs and drug related terminology. Who knows what else might be in there. Derby's email is: david.derby@okhouse.gov

Kratom is a drug some people have found useful to use in place of opiates. Unlike opiates, Kratom is unknown to be the sole cause of any deaths. Seems like an odd time to ban Kratom in Oklahoma, considering deaths in Oklahoma blamed on prescription pain medication is going up, with as many as two every day.

Kratom: The latest legal plant-based high | Fox News (http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/12/04/kratom-latest-legal-plant-based-high/)

It so frustrating living in this anti-freedom police state. If these Republicans would get educated...something bashed as "liberal propaganda" and elitist in Oklahoma, they would realize that Kratom is not dangerous at all, does not make people high, and is improperly marketed in head shops in order for them to make a buck off kids looking for a legal high. Kratom belongs in the natural grocery store, not the head shop.

MustangGT
02-12-2014, 01:50 PM
Like weed make it legal and then tax it at rates of 500% and make it very unaffordable.

Bunty
02-12-2014, 02:51 PM
Like weed make it legal and then tax it at rates of 500% and make it very unaffordable.

I'm sure the drug pushers and drug cartel lords would love that idea. They know they could make it affordable. They surely wish the same thing would be done to cigarettes, alcohol, coffee and who knows what else.

Bunty
02-12-2014, 03:53 PM
HB 2666 is a rather large bill that contains numerous references to drugs and drug related terminology. Who knows what else might be in there.

So another bad part found in HB 2666 is that Oklahoma would over rule when the DEA decides to give less restrictive scheduling to a schedule 1 drug, meaning should you be found to have THC in your blood you could still be charged with DUI. Sounds anti-science to me, assuming any changes in scheduling would be due to updated scientific findings, which need to be severely updated at the DEA when it comes to marijuana. At least one marijuana expert, Dr. Lester Grinspoon feels marijuana shouldn't be on any schedule, or at most the lowest, schedule 5.

Bunty
02-19-2014, 11:06 PM
If Arizona can stop the ban on Kratom, then so can Oklahoma:

Kratom Victory in Arizona | Entheology.com (http://entheology.com/news-articles/kratom-victory-in-arizona/)

What is Kratom and Should It Be Legal?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrrSp1atIJ0&feature=youtu.be

Bunty
02-20-2014, 12:31 AM
The amazing REEFER MADNESS Version of What Kratom is Supposed to be About (I'm now scared that I drink coffee every day, even if it's not by the pot.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCIazru4zAA

JohnnyW
02-20-2014, 02:56 AM
Kratom, a natural plant that grows wildly, is a very safe and a very useful herbal remedy. I know of people that used it to ween off opiates and others have used it to help with pain. It's not something that will get you high. It's like taking a natural aspirin that can also help opiate withdrawals.

Bunty
02-21-2014, 02:08 AM
Kratom, a natural plant that grows wildly, is a very safe and a very useful herbal remedy. I know of people that used it to ween off opiates and others have used it to help with pain. It's not something that will get you high. It's like taking a natural aspirin that can also help opiate withdrawals.

The last I found out about the proposed Kratom ban is that it has passed the house health committee. Apparently, a lobbyist wanting to speak in defense of Kratom was not allowed to speak at the committee hearing. HB 2666 is now waiting to see if it will be put up for a vote of the full house. Hopefully, the ban's progress can be halted by a legislator successfully getting it amended to remove the terms mitragynine and 7-hydroxymitragynine from the bill.

With up to two deaths a day caused by opiate drug abuse in Oklahoma, you'd think legislators would not want to deny people a legal non-deadly alternative to opiates, such as Kratom. But then I don't think anyone said the war on drugs in Oklahoma was based on some degree of sanity, or based on up to date scientific intelligence.

Bunty
02-26-2014, 01:54 AM
GREAT NEWS! Oklahoma has decided not to include Kratom on its list of Schedule 1 substances, due to HB2666 being amended to not include Kratom alkaloids.

Soonerman
02-26-2014, 04:33 PM
GREAT NEWS! Oklahoma has decided not to include Kratom on its list of Schedule 1 substances, due to HB2666 being amended to not include Kratom alkaloids.
Good deal