View Full Version : Sleep Number mattress or memory foam

traxx
02-11-2014, 02:54 PM
Which is better? I like a decent amount of support because my back bothers me from time to time. So if something is too mushy, I'm afraid it would agitate my back and I'd wake up stiff or with pain.

OKCTalker
02-11-2014, 03:24 PM
We have a Sleep Number bed. It came with a money-back trial period, but the size, weight and complexity of the components virtually guaranteed that one would never be returned. That said, we love ours and will replace it with another when the time comes.

Easy180
02-11-2014, 04:21 PM
We went with a gel infused memory foam about a year ago. I have a bad disk so I needed it to provide good back support and so far I'm pretty pleased

ctchandler
02-11-2014, 04:59 PM
Traxx,
My late wife and I tried many things to ease her back and shoulder problems, then I purchased the Sleep Number bed. Her problems disappeared within a week and I will never change. I actually asked the manager of Relax the Back if I should purchase their Tempur-Pedic mattress to replace my Sleep Number and she said that as good as the Tempur-Pedic was that she wouldn't do it. She wasn't saying mine was better, but that they were too close to swap one for the other. I loved her answer and proceeded to purchase an $1,800 executive chair and have been totally thrilled with it. I guess what I am saying is that you can't go wrong with a Tempur-Pedic or a Sleep Number mattress.
C. T.

Garin
02-11-2014, 05:15 PM
Latex is the only thing that will never wear out, foam is hot unless you get the gel infused ,however it will break down over time. Latex is the best for the money.

trousers
02-11-2014, 05:18 PM
Latex is the only thing that will never wear out, foam is hot unless you get the gel infused ,however it will break down over time. Latex is the best for the money.
Uggghhh. No kidding. Slept on memory foam once and I felt like I was burning up.

foodiefan
02-11-2014, 05:22 PM
have had my Sleep Number for probably close to 15 years. . .and it is still truckin' along. Couldn't believe I paid what I did for what is basically a giant "air mattress". . but I absolutely love it!! The "adjustability"factor is a BIG plus. . . mostly I sleep "hard as a rock", but when I'm sick/feeling bad, I want a something a little softer and kinder to my aches and pains. Will replace with a newer model when mine croaks :)

Easy180
02-11-2014, 05:23 PM
Uggghhh. No kidding. Slept on memory foam once and I felt like I was burning up.

I do have to admit even the gel infused ones run a little warm...Unfortunately

Garin
02-11-2014, 05:33 PM
Go by Oklahoma mattress company , they do all kids latex,foam,springs,adjustable...but not sleep number.

traxx
02-12-2014, 07:33 AM
Good insight. Thanks for the feedback folks.

BBatesokc
02-12-2014, 07:47 AM
We've been looking at the different one's at Sam's lately. They have the foam and gel infused. Can't decide.

kevinpate
02-12-2014, 09:38 AM
Slept on a number of beds couches chairs etc. over the years. Still like my plain free flow waterbed sack the best. Frame work is now a hair shy of 29 years, and the original mattress lasted a bit over 25 years, with minimal patching. I'm on either the 2nd or 3rd heater unit, don't recall. What with the cat banished from this end of the house these days, unless the heater expires, the current setup may come close to outlasting me.

Jim Kyle
02-12-2014, 09:39 AM
Here's another vote for Sleep Number; we replaced a water bed with ours some 15 years ago after trying one at our eldest son's home, and are still enthusiastic. The only problem we've found with it is that it won't bend in the middle to let our adjustable frames raise the head or foot properly. However the ability to adjust the firmness more than makes up for that.

I've been told that the memory foam approach doesn't work well for restless sleepers, and I spend the night in "rotisserie mode," turning over every few minutes. The foam's feature of adjusting to one's shape makes such rotation difficult if not impossible...

As for temperature control, the Sleep Number folk have come out in the past year or two with a replacement mattress pad that has passive temperature control, staying cool in summer and moderately warm in winter. It works quite nicely...

ctchandler
02-12-2014, 12:18 PM
Jim,
The new Sleep Number beds have the ability to bend. Go to their web site and check it out. I'm like you, I can't seem to stay still in bed and the Sleep Number has been great.
C. T.
Here's another vote for Sleep Number; we replaced a water bed with ours some 15 years ago after trying one at our eldest son's home, and are still enthusiastic. The only problem we've found with it is that it won't bend in the middle to let our adjustable frames raise the head or foot properly. However the ability to adjust the firmness more than makes up for that.

I've been told that the memory foam approach doesn't work well for restless sleepers, and I spend the night in "rotisserie mode," turning over every few minutes. The foam's feature of adjusting to one's shape makes such rotation difficult if not impossible...

As for temperature control, the Sleep Number folk have come out in the past year or two with a replacement mattress pad that has passive temperature control, staying cool in summer and moderately warm in winter. It works quite nicely...

kelroy55
02-12-2014, 12:43 PM
wow... them suckers aren't cheap.

OKCTalker
02-12-2014, 12:45 PM
Sleep Number beds also have a pillowtop - we really like it.

Mr. Cotter
02-12-2014, 12:53 PM
Another vote for sleep number. I'm 6 years in, and it's still in great shape.

Bunty
02-12-2014, 04:03 PM
The March issue of Consumer Reports rates a Sleep Number Innovation Series i8 as the best memory foam mattress, but it cost $3000. (However, it says its make of foam but not memory foam.) The best innerspring mattress is a Serta Perfect Day Applause and cost $1075.

foodiefan
02-12-2014, 04:16 PM
wow... them suckers aren't cheap.

No they aren't. . . but I don't know of another "traditional" mattress that would last as long as mine has!! So far it "amortizes" out at under $150 a year/less than 42 cents a day. . .and I'm not seeing any "warning signs" of replacement.

ctchandler
02-12-2014, 08:16 PM
Foodiefan,
I didn't spend anywhere near $3,000, I think it was about $1,500 and it has been at least 14 years. Like you, I don't see any need to replace it.
C. T.
No they aren't. . . but I don't know of another "traditional" mattress that would last as long as mine has!! So far it "amortizes" out at under $150 a year/less than 42 cents a day. . .and I'm not seeing any "warning signs" of replacement.