View Full Version : Fire Ford (and Holder)

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

Snowman
02-17-2014, 02:08 PM
Folks should worry about strong seasons and national rankings, and yet like many OU fans who think OSU is nothing to worry about and likes dismissing them, your entire self esteem seems to be based on trashing them. No matter how the rest of the season goes, as long as they beat one team (OSU), then they're awesome.

It's really sort of pathetic. If anything... it makes OU look like the little brother trying to catch up. Why so mad bro? Got something to prove?

I guess you do not follow OU football, it there is one team that the coaches job depends on beating consistently it is Texas.

OKCretro
02-17-2014, 02:10 PM
Best insult I heard from a student, "go back to the big city"

OKCretro
02-17-2014, 02:30 PM
stupid OU media bias, clearly omits us from the top 10

2013 National College Football Attendance (http://www.scribd.com/doc/207568649/2013-National-College-Football-Attendance)

jerrywall
02-17-2014, 02:45 PM
I guess you do not follow OU football, it there is one team that the coaches job depends on beating consistently it is Texas.

Oh, I agree with that. It's just a lot of OU fans that don't seem too. They claim to be OU fans but they're really just obsessed with OSU. Maybe they couldn't get admitted?

ou48A
02-17-2014, 04:04 PM
SOONER8693 is quickly rising to the troll ranks of ou48a and okcretro

We think for our self’s and don't slurp up the latest poke propaganda in our local media and as a result we largely able to post the truth.
If you continue to subscribe to your current methods of close mined thinking your list is going to be pretty long by the time you grow old and become an even bigger bitter poke than you already are.

You can grow up, develop some self esteem, stop with the self righteous act and learn something about the pokes that is not spoon fed to you.

CuatrodeMayo
02-17-2014, 04:13 PM
We think for ourselves

Fixed it for ya.

ou48A
02-17-2014, 04:13 PM
stupid OU media bias, clearly omits us from the top 10

2013 National College Football Attendance (http://www.scribd.com/doc/207568649/2013-National-College-Football-Attendance)
It's interesting how the pokes are not even in the top 30 in division 1 FBS attendance and yet the some pokes carry on about how poke football has arrived.

OU still claims a waiting list for 20,000 tickets in a stadium that usually has about 85,000 in attendance.

OU should make the top ten when the stadium is expanded.

ou48A
02-17-2014, 04:18 PM
Best insult I heard from a student, "go back to the big city"

Did you see any cheerleaders trying to trip players.

I saw one poke cheerleader throw her pom's to the floor in discus right after osu missed the it last 3 point attempt....
poke feelings showed their hurt................ again.

jerrywall
02-17-2014, 04:22 PM
We know poke football has arrived because OU fans are obsessed with them. Something's got you all worried.

ou48A
02-17-2014, 04:45 PM
It's interesting how so many decent poke fans on this link can find a degree of humor and post funny stuff on it ......but on here most pokes are nothing but angry and so bitter.

Click for funny stuff..... NSFW
Post a Picture Representing the Current State of our Basketball Program | Orange Power (http://www.orangepower.com/threads/post-a-picture-representing-the-current-state-of-our-basketball-program.182718/)

jerrywall
02-17-2014, 04:56 PM
The only bitter and angry folks here seem to be you and some other OU folks. Why so mad bro?

SOONER8693
02-17-2014, 05:40 PM
SOONER8693 is quickly rising to the troll ranks of ou48a and okcretro
Oh my. I won't be able to get a wink of sleep tonight. You are just another OU hater.

CuatrodeMayo
02-17-2014, 08:00 PM
It's interesting how so many decent poke fans on this link can find a degree of humor and post funny stuff on it ......but on here most pokes are nothing but angry and so bitter.

Click for funny stuff..... NSFW
Post a Picture Representing the Current State of our Basketball Program | Orange Power (http://www.orangepower.com/threads/post-a-picture-representing-the-current-state-of-our-basketball-program.182718/)
So do you troll OSU message boards too? You need to find a constructive hobby.

OKCretro
02-17-2014, 09:43 PM
So do you troll OSU message boards too? You need to find a constructive hobby.

If one has 3000 post on any message board, they need to find a new hobby. And yes would even say that to myself

dankrutka
02-17-2014, 10:58 PM
How about you all go to a Thunder thread so you can all get along? Goodness.

andrew3077
02-18-2014, 12:03 AM
You say a lot of things as if they are fact and we should just take your word for it. Can't you point to some facts about the tax money that OSU uses for athletics and OU uses for academics? I'm not trying to call you a liar or anything, I'd just like to know your sources or how you know those things.

NCAA college athletics department finances database ? USATODAY.com (http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/college/story/2012-05-14/ncaa-college-athletics-finances-database/54955804/1)
This is true that OU athletics pays towards OU academics.

But really, I'm a lifelong OU fan, and I'm happy as ever that we've beaten OSU in both FB and BB this year but this kind of salty trash talk in this thread just makes us look bad. I don't think I've ever met anyone around campus that is anywhere near as angry about OSU than what I've seen above. Like actually angry...

Of course I think OU is better in so many different ways but... srsly though act like we've been there... because we have.

Spartan
02-18-2014, 05:09 AM
The DOK among other places has published these facts many, many times.
Its been a source of many jokes among many OU fans going back several decades that I'm aware of.
The most common being, osu athletics is a state welfare case! LOL.

Most of this can be learned over time by paying attention to the entire paper and not the poke spin that seen in the sports pages or on the radio talk shows. You will make your self better informed if you will preform your own search.

Great, now it's a common joke that everyone had heard of. So there must be lots of links, right?

AP
02-18-2014, 07:29 AM
Great, now it's a common joke that everyone had heard of. So there must be lots of links, right?

I really was being sincere when asking for facts. While I have been an OSU fan most of my life, most of my friends and family growing up were OU fans and we never heard those jokes. Most jokes were aimed at how we had never won a football championship and the Bedlam record was sad.

AP
02-18-2014, 07:35 AM
NCAA college athletics department finances database ? USATODAY.com (http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/college/story/2012-05-14/ncaa-college-athletics-finances-database/54955804/1)

But really, I'm a lifelong OU fan, and I'm happy as ever that we've beaten OSU in both FB and BB this year but this kind of salty trash talk in this thread just makes us look bad. I don't think I've ever met anyone around campus that is anywhere near as angry about OSU than what I've seen above. Like actually angry...

Of course I think OU is better in so many different ways but... srsly though act like we've been there... because we have.

Thank you for providing facts. I appreciate that. While it looks like OSU subsidizes their football program with allocated funds and OU doesn't, both Alabama and Auburn also do. As well as plenty of other schools in the Big 12. I'm glad OU has been blessed with a great history of football excellence, but for most programs that's not the case and their programs have to be subsidized.

ou48A
02-18-2014, 09:18 AM

The only thing that really irritates me about osu is that osu athletics is on state welfare.
The fact that others take it from their own states doesn’t make it anymore right.

osu athletics should be taken off the states welfare rolls.

ou48A
02-18-2014, 09:29 AM
Below is the poke vision statement.

If this really is the true poke vision the state money that's diverted to athletics would be better used if it was spent in trying to become “a first-class, land grant educational system” Doing so would better advance the quality of life in Oklahoma and would be a more responsible use of the states tax payers money.

Oklahoma State University System (http://www.system.okstate.edu/)

Vision Statement
Oklahoma State University System will advance the quality of life in Oklahoma by fulfilling the instructional, research, and outreach obligations of a first-class, land grant educational system.

SOONER8693
02-18-2014, 09:36 AM
Time to agree to disagree. Move on to the next topic everyone.

jerrywall
02-18-2014, 09:37 AM
Or maybe, let us talk about the topic of the thread... and you OSU stalkers could quit trying to hijack it to talk about other stuff?

SOONER8693
02-18-2014, 09:44 AM
Just like a child. You can't let it go. Have a wonderful day.

AP
02-18-2014, 09:50 AM
Below is the poke vision statement.

If this really is the true poke vision the state money that's diverted to athletics would be better used if it was spent in trying to become “a first-class, land grant educational system” Doing so would better advance the quality of life in Oklahoma and would be a more responsible use of the states tax payers money.

Oklahoma State University System (http://www.system.okstate.edu/)

Vision Statement
Oklahoma State University System will advance the quality of life in Oklahoma by fulfilling the instructional, research, and outreach obligations of a first-class, land grant educational system.

Can you tell me how much tax money OSU is even receiving for their athletic department?

jerrywall
02-18-2014, 09:52 AM
Just like a child. You can't let it go. Have a wonderful day.

Oh, so you have something to contribute on Ford/Holder, which is what this thread is about?

No? Gonna throw in some high class words like "stoolwater" again? Just admit that you're an OSU obsessed OU bandwagon fanboy. Why you mad bro?

jerrywall
02-18-2014, 09:55 AM
Can you tell me how much tax money OSU is even receiving for their athletic department?

I don't think it gets broken down to that detail. The "subsidy" column on that report includes student fees, university contributions, and direct state funding.

As you pointed out though, there are like 5/6 schools in the entire Div 1 that don't subsidize their athletic programs. Good for those schools, but that doesn't mean I'd expect every other school to do the same.

AP
02-18-2014, 09:57 AM
I don't think it gets broken down to that detail. The "subsidy" column on that report includes student fees, university contributions, and direct state funding.

As you pointed out though, there are like 5/6 schools in the entire Div 1 that don't subsidize their athletic programs. Good for those schools, but that doesn't mean I'd expect every other school to do the same.

My point exactly. There is no way to tell if the subsidy is coming all from state tax dollars.

AP
02-18-2014, 10:00 AM
Also, the most recent report I saw was $1.8 million and not the $6+ million from 2011.

USA Today | Sports | COLLEGE (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/schools/finances/)

jerrywall
02-18-2014, 10:08 AM
I also thought this was interesting... when looking at the methodology.

Includes both direct and indirect support from the university, including state funds, tuition, tuition waivers etc. as well as federal Work Study amounts for athletes. It also includes university-provided support such as administrative costs, facilities and grounds maintenance, security, risk management, utilities, depreciation and debt service.

So part of that money would be federal work study for athletes (not state money) and some other miscellaneous stuff.

Lafferty Daniel
02-18-2014, 10:34 AM
So about the topic of the thread....

I'm not so sure you can fire Holder. Overall, he has done a good job. He is a prick but he's good at what he does. The Ford contract is obviously a giant mistake and I'm sure he regrets it more than anyone. At the time, Ford looked to be a great hire and Kentucky was needing a coach so I believe Holder panicked and gave him a long contract so that he wouldn't leave for Kentucky. He has done a great job improving football season ticket sales. He has failed at the basketball ticket sales. He still has them at the final four prices from 2004 which is insane.

It's obvious Ford needs to go. He's a good recruiter but just doesn't seem to get his talent to play to their level. Who knows if anyone will step up to buy out his contract. Boone doesn't have the money he used to and I'm not sure who else could step up and donate $11 million and not think twice about that kind of money. Maybe Malone Mitchell? My hope is that now that Smart is back we can go on a little bit of a run to finish the season.

Side note: all it would take is every football season ticket holder donating $220 and we can finance Ford's buyout!

dankrutka
02-18-2014, 10:34 AM
The only thing that really irritates me about osu is that osu athletics is on state welfare.
The fact that others take it from their own states doesn’t make it anymore right.

osu athletics should be taken off the states welfare rolls.

Wait OSU athletics receives TANF money?!? Dude, tone down the rhetoric. Are our public parks, schools, and transportation on welfare also? If you can't avoid using logical fallacies (in this case strawman) then why even have an adult discussion? Your point is clearly to degrade OSU, not discuss the issue in any serious way. You're embarrassing us other OU grads.

jerrywall
02-18-2014, 10:48 AM

I'm not so sure you can fire Holder. Overall, he has done a good job. He is a prick but he's good at what he does. The Ford contract is obviously a giant mistake and I'm sure he regrets it more than anyone. At the time, Ford looked to be a great hire and Kentucky was needing a coach so I believe Holder panicked and gave him a long contract so that he wouldn't leave for Kentucky. He has done a great job improving football season ticket sales. He has failed at the basketball ticket sales. He still has them at the final four prices from 2004 which is insane.

It's obvious Ford needs to go. He's a good recruiter but just doesn't seem to get his talent to play to their level. Who knows if anyone will step up to buy out his contract. Boone doesn't have the money he used to and I'm not sure who else could step up and donate $11 million and not think twice about that kind of money. Maybe Malone Mitchell? My hope is that now that Smart is back we can go on a little bit of a run to finish the season.

Side note: all it would take is every football season ticket holder donating $220 and we can finance Ford's buyout!

With the loss last night, that makes this season the first 7 game slide in 41 years. Yes, something needs to change. If the pokes don't win any of the next 5 games I think the money will materialize.

ou48A
02-18-2014, 10:49 AM
Wait OSU athletics receives TANF money?!? Dude, tone down the rhetoric. Are our public parks, schools, and transportation on welfare also? If you can't avoid using logical fallacies (in this case strawman) then why even have an adult discussion? Your point is clearly to degrade OSU, not discuss the issue in any serious way. You're embarrassing us other OU grads.
Public parks, schools, and transportation have nothing to do with why OSU athletics takes state welfare.
Your inability to understand this fundamental difference is the only true embarrassment.

ou48A
02-18-2014, 10:52 AM

Ch 9 KWTV sports said that it would take 10. 5 million dollars to buy out Fords contract? Has that figure been confirmed by other sources?
That seems very high for something like this.

ou48A
02-18-2014, 10:53 AM
Also, the most recent report I saw was $1.8 million and not the $6+ million from 2011.

USA Today | Sports | COLLEGE (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/schools/finances/)
We will probably nee to wait until this summer to see more updated figures on subsidies.
In 2012 the only athletic departments that did not take any subsidies were LSU, Penn State, Nebraska, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Purdue and Texas.

SOONER8693
02-18-2014, 10:56 AM
Oh, so you have something to contribute on Ford/Holder, which is what this thread is about?

No? Gonna throw in some high class words like "stoolwater" again? Just admit that you're an OSU obsessed OU bandwagon fanboy. Why you mad bro?
Please don't refer to me as "bro". Outside of this board, I would have nothing to do with a sad, little person like you. Now, I am through with you. You are dismissed.

jerrywall
02-18-2014, 10:58 AM
Please don't refer to me as "bro". Outside of this board, I would have nothing to do with a sad, little person like you. Now, I am through with you. You are dismissed.

You really are sort of pathetic huh? Don't you have some other OSU threads to stalk? You'd think an OU fan would spend time on OU threads... but guess not.

Why so mad bro?

Lafferty Daniel
02-18-2014, 11:08 AM
Ch 9 KWTV sports said that it would take 10. 5 million dollars to buy out Fords contract? Has that figure been confirmed by other sources?
That seems very high for something like this.

Why does that seem high? You realize Holder gave Ford a 10 year contract, don't you? When you have 5 years left on said contract, it's going to be a high buyout.

jerrywall
02-18-2014, 11:13 AM
Why does that seem high? You realize Holder gave Ford a 10 year contract, don't you? When you have 5 years left on said contract, it's going to be a high buyout.

Yeah, and this contract was back loaded -

Ford Receives Contract Extension - Oklahoma State Official Athletic Site (http://www.okstate.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/091109aaa.html)

The final 4 years are worth 2.8 million each. Uhg.

Spartan
02-18-2014, 11:16 AM

I think the buyout sounds better than I had expected. But it's a small cost to begin repairing the shambles.

This gets us to why Holder is implicated in all this. Who in their right mind gives Travis Ford a 10 year contract starting at $2M a year that grows later into $3M a year? That's longer than Gundy has been at OSU and longer than his contract. Holder has gotten a pass for a lot of things, but these events force you to go back and look at his record.

Holder tries to run Gundy off every off-season, squeezes fans for the nation's most expensive ticket prices, and has irresponsibly handled the athletic dept's financial windfall. We can all agree that keeping Gundy would be a good strategy.

soonerguru
02-18-2014, 11:28 AM
As a Sooner fan, some of the behavior of my fellow "fans" is embarrassing. I love a good rivalry as much as anyone, but please accept my apology on behalf of some of the more obsessed among us.

ou48A
02-18-2014, 11:35 AM

I had forgotten about the 10 year contract when I typed that.....
But I also heard that osu's low graduation rates are expected to keep osu out of the NCAA basketball tournament next season and this might give osu an out on paying out Fords full contract....?
So if more players leave osu without a degree it sounds like it might be the cheapest way to get rid of Ford....?

In a few years it also sounds like Gundy could be fired for the same reasons and using the same method?

Lafferty Daniel
02-18-2014, 11:36 AM
I think the buyout sounds better than I had expected. But it's a small cost to begin repairing the shambles.

This gets us to why Holder is implicated in all this. Who in their right mind gives Travis Ford a 10 year contract starting at $2M a year that grows later into $3M a year? That's longer than Gundy has been at OSU and longer than his contract. Holder has gotten a pass for a lot of things, but these events force you to go back and look at his record.

Holder tries to run Gundy off every off-season, squeezes fans for the nation's most expensive ticket prices, and has irresponsibly handled the athletic dept's financial windfall. We can all agree that keeping Gundy would be a good strategy.

Nobody saw the financial collapse of 2008 coming so I have a hard time pinning that one on Holder. Plus, it was Boone's money and he was managing it so it's more Boone's fault if anyone. It does suck looking back knowing Boone's $165 million donation grew to over $400 million before the economy tanked. The entire Athletic Village would have been built by now. Oh well, gotta move on.

The Ford contract and bball ticket prices are two things that should be entirely directed at Holder. Why he has not lowered basketball ticket prices since the quality of product has gone downhill as well as the arrival of the Thunder is beyond me. He has lost almost a decade worth of students as future basketball donors because he priced everyone out. Sucks.

And while I do agree we should keep Gundy, I'm not going to act like he's Nick Saban. 1-8 against our rival? Gotta do better than that. As he's shown with his attitude towards the media, he's a pretty stubborn guy. I wouldn't blame the almost leaving on Holder either. I'm sure Gundy was just being a stubborn ass like always.

ou48A
02-18-2014, 11:41 AM
As a Sooner fan, some of the behavior of my fellow "fans" is embarrassing. I love a good rivalry as much as anyone, but please accept my apology on behalf of some of the more obsessed among us.Yes, but you never have anything at all nice to say about anyone, anywhere and that just a fact about the history of your post. So what you say here really is pretty shallow.

ou48A
02-18-2014, 11:49 AM
Nobody saw the financial collapse of 2008 coming so I have a hard time pinning that one on Holder. Plus, it was Boone's money and he was managing it so it's more Boone's fault if anyone. It does suck looking back knowing Boone's $165 million donation grew to over $300 million before the economy tanked. The entire Athletic Village would have been built by now. Oh well, gotta move on.

The Ford contract and bball ticket prices are two things that should be entirely directed at Holder. Why he has not lowered basketball ticket prices since the quality of product has gone downhill as well as the arrival of the Thunder is beyond me. He has lost almost a decade worth of students as future basketball donors because he priced everyone out. Sucks.

And while I do agree we should keep Gundy, I'm not going to act like he's Nick Saban. 1-8 against our rival? Gotta do better than that. As he's shown with his attitude towards the media, he's a pretty stubborn guy. I wouldn't blame the almost leaving on Holder either. I'm sure Gundy was just being a stubborn ass like always.

What's sad for osu is that Holder said that osu was about 2 weeks from cashing in on the Pickens hedge fund before it totally collapsed. That's when Pickens had to kick in an extra 75 million dollar donation.
But there were many investors at the time who knew this was a very risky investment. Many like me had also seen the oil crashes before and knew the risk that was involved.
It was much like the insurance deal that also lost many millions

Lafferty Daniel
02-18-2014, 12:03 PM
What's sad for osu is that Holder said that osu was about 2 weeks from cashing in on the Pickens hedge fund before it totally collapsed. That's when Pickens had to kick in an extra 75 million dollar donation.

I don't remember Holder ever saying that. It also doesn't make sense as Holder has said that they were eyeing the billion dollar mark for the hedge fund.

onthestrip
02-18-2014, 12:14 PM
If Billy Gillispie would never had got himself fired from Kentucky we probably wouldnt be in this position.

ou48A
02-18-2014, 12:24 PM
I don't remember Holder ever saying that. It also doesn't make sense as Holder has said that they were eyeing the billion dollar mark for the hedge fund.

Holder said they were about 2 weeks away from cashing out. This was in the DOK but I think they only intended to take out what they needed for the new facility’s at the time....and the rest was going to be left invested in the hedge fund with the hope that it would grow to a billion. Just as you indicated.

There is a lot more on the general topic on this link

http://insurancenewsnet.com/oarticle/2013/03/11/cowboy-athletics-osus-sports-development-arm-has-taken-a-wild-ride-%5btulsa-wor-a-374733.html#.UwOwfbCYZjo

ou48A
02-18-2014, 01:28 PM
Just on WWLS

Traber just said that Mike Gundy is losing his mind
Traber said Gundy is doing his best to make people mad
Traber said he is blowing off the entire media
Traber says this is really, really bad for OSU football.

Traber has a feeling that this is the last year that Gundy will coach at OSU. May go to Florida
Traber said people at OSU are mad at Mike Gundy.

Traber indicates that Gundy is basically sabotaging his own program
Gundy is out to alienate

Traber said that Mike Gundy doesn’t want to be the coach at OSU

Richard at Remax
02-18-2014, 01:29 PM
He also said that his thoughts were way way way out there.

But I agree with him on some level. Gundy does not seem like a happy camper

ou48A
02-18-2014, 01:31 PM
He also said that his thoughts were way way way out there.

But I agree with him on some level. Gundy does not seem like a happy camper
I type slow... what else did Traber say?

Richard at Remax
02-18-2014, 01:35 PM
no you got it all covered. he just prefaced his comments that what he was about to say was out there on a limb. esp about not coaching next year and going to florida, a team he just kinda threw out there since they are having problems notable with muschamp

SoonerDave
02-18-2014, 01:39 PM
I just heard it, too, so in the interest of completeness let's also put out the rest of what was said --- that Traber's predictions were purely speculative, based on his own personal opinion and observation of the direction of the football program in general and Gundy in particular. He made it clear he was not making claims based on some double-secret insider information.

I'm not sure I agree that Gundy will leave after this year, but I think in the context Traber provided, there's a lot of sense in what he's saying - the overarching notion is that the athletic department is not exactly healthy from a leadership perspective. Has to suggest Holder is the problem, but as he's Pickens' guy, not much chance of him getting chased.

onthestrip
02-18-2014, 01:40 PM
I thought the Oklahoma media didnt bash OSU?

soonerguru
02-18-2014, 02:01 PM
Yes, but you never have anything at all nice to say about anyone, anywhere and that just a fact about the history of your post. So what you say here really is pretty shallow.

Wrong.

OKCretro
02-18-2014, 02:11 PM
something is not right at all in Stillwater with gundy.

not sure if the media knows and is covering it up like they did with the old Sutton, well and with the younger Sutton too.....

jerrywall
02-18-2014, 02:16 PM
And here comes the massive "media conspiracy" plot again...

trousers
02-18-2014, 02:18 PM
Nothing obsessive or neurotic about this thread...nothing at all.

OKCretro
02-18-2014, 03:09 PM
why did he do his signing day presser the day after? and now he cancels the spring game?