View Full Version : Starbucks Employee Confronts Amputee Vet Over Service Dog

GoOKC1991
02-09-2014, 09:11 PM
Awful. No excuse for this.

http://foxnewsinsider.com/2014/02/09/‘you’re-not-blind’-starbucks-employee-confronts-amputee-vet-yancy-baer-over-service-dog

zookeeper
02-09-2014, 09:15 PM
I agree. But I'm getting tired of the 24/7 Internet bringing us the outrage of the day. Nobody's blood pressure needs these headlines everyday. But, yes, horrible story.

mugofbeer
02-09-2014, 09:32 PM
He apologized, the company disavowed, its over

mugofbeer
02-09-2014, 09:33 PM
I agree. He apologized, the company disavowed, its over

RadicalModerate
02-10-2014, 09:30 AM
I agree. But I'm getting tired of the 24/7 Internet bringing us the outrage of the day. Nobody's blood pressure needs these headlines everyday. But, yes, horrible story.

It's "outrage du jour". =)
Still . . . I'm glad my coffee dollar rarely--and by rarely I mean, like, almost never--goes to Starbuck's.
And I refuse to apologize for that fact.

Pete
02-10-2014, 09:42 AM
The strong desire to be outraged is certainly interesting though, isn't it?

These stories get a lot of traction... Maybe it's due to the advent of Facebook and sites like this where everyone gets to actively express their condemnation and thus demonstrate their moral superiority and feel better about themselves?

Not at all referring to this article or issue but just these stories in general seem to take off in social media.

Zuplar
02-10-2014, 09:46 AM

These stories get a lot of traction... Maybe it's due to the advent of Facebook and sites like this where everyone gets to actively express their condemnation and thus demonstrate their moral superiority and feel better about themselves?

Not at all referring to this article or issue but just these stories in general seem to take off in social media.

This. I think people bring stuff like this up for self promotion. It's like what are you trying to prove? That you are a good person? Goes back to the phrase if you have to bring attention to it, maybe you aren't.

RadicalModerate
02-10-2014, 09:50 AM

Perhaps a label change is in order, in order to better align with reality?
Something along the lines of Anti-Social Media? e.g. Facelessbook?

kelroy55
02-10-2014, 09:57 AM
From a service dog training forum:

The employee shouldn't have yelled at the handler, the handler shouldn't be talking about getting into a physical fight.

However the dog, a yellow lab trained by CCI, appears to have behaved beautifully throughout.

BBatesokc
02-10-2014, 10:07 AM
I love how the media never acknowledges nor takes hardly any criticism for taking a localized outrage (that usually occurs with virtually no audience - and is of no real news significance) and then blasts it to the world for an (over)reaction - most often from people the story had no effect on, are incapable of putting the event in proper perspective, and their own outrage is often nothing more than their own hypocrisy put on display.

RadicalModerate
02-10-2014, 10:11 AM
I love how the media never acknowledges nor takes hardly any criticism for taking a localized outrage (that usually occurs with virtually no audience - and is of no real news significance) and then blasts it to the world for an (over)reaction - most often from people the story had no effect on, are incapable of putting the event in proper perspective, and their own outrage is often nothing more than their own hypocrisy put on display.

Perhaps we could refer to this cultural phenomenon, at least in the immediate context, as The K4K9 Syndrome? =)
(not tryin' to be "superior" or whatever . . . simply a bit tired of all the brou-ha-ha over every little thing)
(okay--anticipating objections: I know . . . "change the channel or turn off the TV/computer" . . . =)

zookeeper
02-10-2014, 11:13 AM

This is so very true. It's not like there's really more to be outraged about, it's just that more people have the ability to share an outrageous story and then their friends share it, and their friends. It makes it seem like things are really going nuts, when it's really just our ability to share it and know about it 24/7.

kelroy55
02-10-2014, 11:33 AM
http://www.rudebaguette.com/assets/Get_252520Along.jpg

Pete
02-10-2014, 12:42 PM
This is so very true. It's not like there's really more to be outraged about, it's just that more people have the ability to share an outrageous story and then their friends share it, and their friends. It makes it seem like things are really going nuts, when it's really just our ability to share it and know about it 24/7.

And almost certainly, the fact you will be instantly exposed across the internet if you mistreat anyone or any animal has no doubt greatly decreased how often these things happen.

It's almost impossible to do something deemed socially offensive and not be photographed, videoed or otherwise observed and immediately reported. The advent of 99% of the population carrying camera-phones and almost everyone having a Facebook, Twitter and/or Youtube account means that most are aware they will likely be exposed in a very public (even international) way if they act out anywhere people are present.

One obvious example is bullying... It was commonplace and generally accepted even by teachers and administrators for decades -- they usually just looked the other way. Now, a video is likely to made by multiple kids and a crapstorm of lawsuits would rain down on the school, even if no one in authority was aware.

Another example involves racial slurs. They were very common practice not that long ago; sometimes offered in jest and many times not. Yet, there weren't many ramifications regardless -- not even much disapproval from a social group. Good grief, now even the accusation of that will bring the swift wrath of many.

I know many think the world has become overly sensitive and too PC, but besides the few instances where some take advantage, for the most part it seems the world is a better place now these sorts of things are generally caught.

JIMBO
02-10-2014, 01:59 PM
From a service dog training forum:

The employee shouldn't have yelled at the handler, the handler shouldn't be talking about getting into a physical fight.

However the dog, a yellow lab trained by CCI, appears to have behaved beautifully throughout.

Well, it sounds like somebody needed to act the adult. Pity it had to be the dog.