View Full Version : Chromecast - tremendous potential.

SoonerDave
02-09-2014, 06:05 PM
Late last year, I had started reading a few tidbits about a new gadget from Google called "Chromecast." I'd not been interested enough to grab one until my son suggested we snag one to share some video from his laptop on our main television, and when I realized they were only about $35, I figured what the heck.

What an amazing little gadget.

Chromecast is a $35 dongle that plugs into the HDMI port of your TV, gets power from a standard USB port, and, once configured on your in-home wireless network, can stream content from most any device running an OS that can handle the Google Chrome web browser and the ChromeCast extension, or an app that is specifically "Cast-enabled."

Setup is simple, and was complicated on my own network primarily due to my own security preferences - new devices aren't allowed out the door unless I let 'em out. Aside from that, configuration amounted to plugging the device in to an unoccupied HDMI port, setting that input active, and awaiting the "set me up" screen. Once that appears, you open up a device such as a phone, tablet, or laptop on your network and point it to a URL that pulls down a configuration app that sniffs the net for your Chromecast. Once its found, it has you authorize the Chromecast on your network, exchange what is very much like a Bluetooth pairing code, and interactive setup is done. After a restart to pull down and apply any possible firmware updates, Chromecast is good to go. Whatever device you used to configure Chromecast is ready to work as a sort of "streaming server" to your TV, offering up to a full 720p stream.

While some apps, such as NetFlix and YouTube, are already custom-cut to support ChromeCast (Cast Enabled), you can use the Chromecast extension to Chrome to stream the content of any Chrome browser tab. With some additional creativity, you can stream content not natively Cast-capable. Most intriguing to me is an ongoing "beta" feature in the ChromeCast extension that allows you to Cast your Windows desktop, meaning you could stream virtually any local content - pictures, video, apps.

Google makes no bones about the desktop stream being a beta effort, and many sites report some hiccups particularly on the audio side. My minimalist 20-minute test, streaming nothing more complex than a few games of Solitaire from my laptop, included full audio and video error-free for about 20 minutes. I noted only a two or three second delay between the source and the TV.

About the only downside is that the ChromeCast supports only 2.4Ghz networks - so if you have a dual-band wireless router, this is a bit disappointing.

Seems to me there are all kinds of interesting possibilities up with Chromecast. Certainly worth the curiosity investment of $35.

shawnw
02-09-2014, 11:02 PM
I've been using a chromecast for quite some time. It rocks in principle. The app selection and slowness in compatible apps becoming available is a bit annoying, but oh well. I'm having one issue right now, which impacts my primary use of the chromecast. My main use is to have Google Play Music All Access play through my entertainment system. Which works fine, but for some as yet unknown reason, at exactly one hour of playing music, I get an error. At that point Google Play Music won't re-play through chromecast until I disconnect it, and then kill/restart the app/reconnect. It's a quick thing to do, but it's annoying to have to do that each and every hour. So far I've not had that same trouble with video apps. But I have also had that issue with Pandora. It's a strange issue. I've done some searches and so far haven't found instances of the same error, though I'm sure something will turn up eventually.

zookeeper
02-09-2014, 11:18 PM
Gotta agree with SoonerDave. There's a lot of potential in that little dongle. I heard on a podcast I catch every week that we can expect an explosion of development with the opening of the Google Cast SDK. Here's a print story: http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/02/03/google-finally-opens-up-the-chromecast-to-developers-with-release-of-google-cast-sdk-now-part-of-google-play-services/

Google's on a roll. Their Chromebooks are blowing away PC's in sales. The new Toshiba Chrombeook looks like a sweet spot. It was released last week, sold out in 12 hours.

Look at Amazon's Top-Selling Laptops: There are 6 Chromebooks in the Top 15 including the #1,#2 and #4 positions..
http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Computers-Accessories-Laptop/zgbs/pc/565108

BBatesokc
02-10-2014, 03:45 AM
We've invested in the big three when it comes to content streaming to TV (Apple TV, Roku and Chromecast). I agree the Chromecast is pretty cool. I primarily like its size and cost.

If you're an Apple enthusiast then I'd say consider Apple TV, but if not, and you can only get one device - go for the Chromecast.

I like the Chromecast because it hides behind my TV's and its easy to take when I travel. Its also got some good features.

That said, I use my Apple TV about 90% of the time.

I wish Chromecast had the option of a dedicated remote (like Roku/Apple) and the mirroring is sketchy at best (Apple's rocks). But what it does do it does well, cheap and within a small foot print.

SoonerDave
02-10-2014, 07:08 AM
I've been using a chromecast for quite some time. It rocks in principle. The app selection and slowness in compatible apps becoming available is a bit annoying, but oh well. I'm having one issue right now, which impacts my primary use of the chromecast. My main use is to have Google Play Music All Access play through my entertainment system. Which works fine, but for some as yet unknown reason, at exactly one hour of playing music, I get an error. At that point Google Play Music won't re-play through chromecast until I disconnect it, and then kill/restart the app/reconnect. It's a quick thing to do, but it's annoying to have to do that each and every hour. So far I've not had that same trouble with video apps. But I have also had that issue with Pandora. It's a strange issue. I've done some searches and so far haven't found instances of the same error, though I'm sure something will turn up eventually.

Totally off-the-wall idea here, but that "one hour and it breaks" notion kinda made me wonder...any chance the device you're using is getting an IP address with a one-hour DHCP lease, the lease expires, and when it does the connection goes south...probably a longshot, as I believe the renewal should at least try to reclaim the previous address, but I won't swear to that. But multiple apps exhibiting the same behavior at a specific interval makes me wonder....

David
02-10-2014, 07:46 AM
I purchased mine day one last year, but have had problems in that it almost never shows up on the Wi-Fi. We will probably be replacing our wireless router pretty soon, so hopefully that will clear up the issue.

SoonerDave
02-10-2014, 08:03 AM
I purchased mine day one last year, but have had problems in that it almost never shows up on the Wi-Fi. We will probably be replacing our wireless router pretty soon, so hopefully that will clear up the issue.

Mine came with a little "inline stick" signal booster that they suggest be used if you're having wifi issues. Also, there are apparently some wifi/routers with which it doesn't work and play well - think there's a list of problem routers out there - particularly with AP isolation mode, MAC whitelisting, stuff like that.

Be interested to know if the new router solves the problem.

JohnH_in_OKC
08-13-2014, 04:04 PM
For Chromecast users: There is a free Chromecast app called Videostream that lets you watch any video you have on your hard drive easily to your HDTV. I bought one of the first Chromecast devices & when I added Videostream several months ago, it made Chromecast an invaluable tool for watching my saved videos on my big screen HDTV. No long HDMI cable necessary!

BBatesokc
08-13-2014, 07:40 PM
For Chromecast users: There is a free Chromecast app called Videostream that lets you watch any video you have on your hard drive easily to your HDTV. I bought one of the first Chromecast devices & when I added Videostream several months ago, it made Chromecast an invaluable tool for watching my saved videos on my big screen HDTV. No long HDMI cable necessary!

That's the number one feature we use on our AppleTV.

kelroy55
08-14-2014, 09:58 AM
I use Plex to do that with my Roku.

Drake
08-14-2014, 10:36 AM
I use Plex to do that with my Roku.

How is Plex? I just downloaded it last night but got interrupted before I could play with it

kelroy55
08-14-2014, 11:54 AM
How is Plex? I just downloaded it last night but got interrupted before I could play with it

I've had no problems with it other than once in a great while it stops working on my laptop and after I restart it all works fine.

shawnw
08-14-2014, 02:03 PM
Plex and PlayOn are competing entities of similar function. Though I've never used it, I'd call Plex better based on being cross platform. It just so happened I came across playon before I knew plex existed so I'm on that hook, but I'd totally try Plex as well.

JIMBO
08-15-2014, 09:10 PM
i'm thinking about buying a ROKU and signing for NETFLIX. Good idea or bad idea? I like the idea of having the remote control.

kelroy55
08-16-2014, 11:34 AM
I have a ROKU and watch Netflix and Amazon quite a bit, mostly Netflix. I like it a lot and use Plex to watch movies and such from my laptop on my big screen.

5alive
08-16-2014, 12:10 PM
I have a Roku and a Chromecast but for some reason I have migrated back to my PS3 to watch Amazon Prime and Netflix. Sometimes I miss an episode of Revenge or Scandal and then I will "cast" them from ABC.com on my desktop to my Chromecast which is located in the mancave lol

BBatesokc
09-03-2014, 02:35 PM
Good tip for travelers that take their Chromecast with them....

Get Around Hotel Wi-Fi Blocks and Use Your Chromecast When Traveling (http://lifehacker.com/get-around-hotel-wi-fi-blocks-and-use-your-chromecast-w-1630215946?rev=1409775740313&utm_campaign=socialflow_lifehacker_twitter&utm_source=lifehacker_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow)