View Full Version : St. Bernard Breeder?

Plutonic Panda
02-09-2014, 12:51 AM
Does anyone know where I can get a St. Bernard puppy? I have been looking for awhile on classifieds, but no luck. :(

Pete
02-09-2014, 06:23 AM
You should look into rescuing a Saint:

OK Saints Rescue - Home (http://www.oksaintrescue.com/)

kevinpate
02-09-2014, 07:59 AM
Though they can be handful once bigger, we had two different Sb's when I was growing up and I loved them both. The first was Bandit, due to the dark, fur encircling his eye area. The second, according to the vet, before we corrected the records, was Odie. real name was O.D. (Other Dog.) Wasn't a lack of love, we were just young and stupid and it seemed cute at the time.

Garin
02-09-2014, 08:52 AM
Does anyone know where I can get a St. Bernard puppy? I have been looking for awhile on classifieds, but no luck. :(
Do you use Facebook? If so there is a group called Oklahoma (ALL) animal for sale,free,or trade. You can post what your looking for and someone will respond.

betts
02-09-2014, 10:06 AM
Never look in the classifieds!!!!! That's where puppy mills sell their dogs. I made a huge mistake doing that years ago and ended up with massive vet bills and a distraught daughter whose puppy died badly. They sell on the Internet too. Go to Petsmart and buy one of their dog magazines. In the back you'll see breeders of various dogs listed. Look at their websites and see if they have pictures of families who have bought their dogs. Make sure they do genetic and temperament testing and that they give a health guarantee. Make sure they ask you to return a dog to them if there's a problem, no matter the age. And perhaps be prepared to wait a bit. You'll get a great, healthy dog. I learned the hard way.

Plutonic Panda
02-09-2014, 02:46 PM
You should look into rescuing a Saint:

OK Saints Rescue - Home (http://www.oksaintrescue.com/)I thought about that and I love having adopted dogs, had two of them when I little, but I really want a puppy that will grow on me and my other dog(she's a Yellow Lab). It also says they will spayed and neutered which I don't like either. I still might consider it, but I'll probably go with a breeder this time around.

Plutonic Panda
02-09-2014, 02:47 PM
Though they can be handful once bigger, we had two different Sb's when I was growing up and I loved them both. The first was Bandit, due to the dark, fur encircling his eye area. The second, according to the vet, before we corrected the records, was Odie. real name was O.D. (Other Dog.) Wasn't a lack of love, we were just young and stupid and it seemed cute at the time.That's awesome. I've been wanting one for some time now, but yesterday I found one wandering without a collar late at night and took her in for the night, fed her and watered her, and I thankfully found her owners, but I decided I'm getting one in a month or two.

Also, that's funny that you say the dogs name was Odie, if my next one is a boy, I want to name him Oden.

Plutonic Panda
02-09-2014, 02:56 PM
Never look in the classifieds!!!!! That's where puppy mills sell their dogs. I made a huge mistake doing that years ago and ended up with massive vet bills and a distraught daughter whose puppy died badly. They sell on the Internet too. Go to Petsmart and buy one of their dog magazines. In the back you'll see breeders of various dogs listed. Look at their websites and see if they have pictures of families who have bought their dogs. Make sure they do genetic and temperament testing and that they give a health guarantee. Make sure they ask you to return a dog to them if there's a problem, no matter the age. And perhaps be prepared to wait a bit. You'll get a great, healthy dog. I learned the hard way.Didn't really know they still had puppy mills going on here.

Is the magazine specifically published by Petsmart?

Pete
02-09-2014, 04:05 PM
I breed Labradors and trust me, anyone who has to advertise in the paper has dogs you do not want.

Quality breeders usually have a waiting list and you have to be patient to get a pup whose parents have been properly screened for congenital issues and that has been reared in a healthy atmosphere.

With large breed dogs, there are usually hip and elbow issues and reputable breeders have both parents xray-ed then cleared and registered by an independent board, the Orthopedic Foundation for Animals (Orthopedic Foundation for Animals (http://www.offa.org) -- you can search their database for the parents). Some breeds have eye issues as well (Labs do) and my dogs were cleared by an veterinary ophthalmologist.

You'll have to wait and probably pay a bit more, but you are making a huge commitment and the last thing you'd want is a poor animal with all types of health issues.

I didn't know anything about this sort of thing until I went to get a Lab puppy about twelve years ago and did some research on the internet. I talked to a few breeders and could immediately tell if they cared about their dogs and pups, or were just looking to make money.

I had to wait a while to get my dog, but I'm incredibly glad I did. She's almost 12 now and most people think she's about six. Still acts like a puppy, has the best disposition ever, and the only health problem she ever had was just last week where she had to have some teeth pulled. Even then, the very next day you couldn't even tell she had anything done.

I've also bred her four times and have been very strict about screening families, telling more than a few that it didn't seem to be a good fit. I also stay in touch with all my puppy families, we've had a couple of reunions at a dog park, etc.

That is the sort of thing you should be looking for in a responsible breeder. And as I said, I didn't know any of this myself until others enlightened me... My family had always just bought dogs out of the paper and looking back, most of them had pretty big issues.

Good luck! It's a massive commitment and one worth being patient over.

I will also say -- without judgment -- that you need to consider raising a huge dog with a very thick coat in Oklahoma. I have a friend with a Bernese Mountain Dog and that poor animal is absolutely miserable for half the year due to the heat -- and they keep him inside. They even shave him every summer.

betts
02-09-2014, 04:36 PM
What is a Puppy Mill (http://www.puppymillrescue.com/what_is_a_puppy_mill.htm)

According to this article, we are one of the states with higher numbers of puppy mills. A friend of mine adopted a puppy mill rescue. She had been bred multiple times and probably lost a litter or two. That's usually when puppy mill breeders give them up. She was so afraid of everything that she would go into the bathroom and crawl behind the toilet. It took months for her to be able to accept being petted. It was a triumph the first time she "asked" to be up on the bed. These animals are horribly abused.

boscorama
02-09-2014, 07:05 PM
PPanda, if you're set on getting a purebred puppy, I might suggest finding a breeder through the American Kennel Club. True, anyone can get mill puppies AKC registered but that's worth no more than a small piece of "papers". Responsible breeders can also be found through dog shows. Not all backyard bred puppies, however, are poor quality or sickly.

I hope any puppy you get will become what I call The Dog of Your Life. By the time you're my age (almost an old lady), you'll think twice before taking on a puppy with a good chance of being orphaned by you.

Not long ago I drove by a secluded poodle mill in Logan County. Horrible!

betts
02-10-2014, 12:09 PM
http://www.petshoppuppies.org/Articles/WhatisUSDA3.pdf

Here's another article about puppy mills.

tomokc
02-10-2014, 01:20 PM
Contact your veterinarian - they will know breeders who produce healthy Saint Bernard dogs. Expect a wait, and expect to pay more up front, but your investment in time and money at this stage will pay off in the years ahead with a longer-living, healthier dog.

I was interested in a Lab puppy a few years ago and contacted my vet for guidance. One of the four veterinarians knew of several Lab breeders, and introduced me to one in the metro. I met with him, toured his facility, spoke with other people buying Labs from him, and got in line. I was near the bottom of the list for the next litter and decided to pass, but was head of the line for the following litter.

I've owned many dogs over the years, but this process was the best in terms of receiving a healthy, well-adjusted and properly-bred puppy.

If it's a boy name him after Pete!

Prunepicker
02-12-2014, 08:04 PM
My Yellow Lab suffers from SBDTF. It's proven to be a problem but I don't
believe any breeder has the ability to know whether or not you pet will suffer,
Well, not the pet but the owner, from this affliction. I've done quite a bit of
research and I haven't found an adequate coadjutor for SBDTF

Maybe some of you can help.

SBDTF - Silent But Deadly Toxic Flatulence.

betts
02-12-2014, 09:53 PM
I'm not sure there's a dog (or husband) that doesn't suffer from SBDTF. So, selective breeding will likely be ineffective.

Prunepicker
02-12-2014, 10:19 PM
I'm not sure there's a dog (or husband) that doesn't suffer from SBDTF. So,
selective breeding will likely be ineffective.
LOL!

Sometimes SBDTF is so bad that Midge leaves the room.