View Full Version : Okc Needs 600-800 Room High-rise Convention Hotel

JOHNINSOKC
08-03-2005, 10:43 AM
A couple of weeks ago, there was an article in the Oklahoman in the opinion section about OKC needing to have a convention hotel with at least 600 rooms. The person stated that she had talked with some people who were considering OKC for a convention and she told them that they would have to be spread out in different hotels in the DT area. They stated to her that a lot of convention people prefer to be in one main hotel so they don't have to leave the building to get to their hotel room. With space at a premium in Bricktown, perhaps the city should entertain the idea of getting developers in here with bigger plans than John Q. Hammons. Although Hammons is a good company, we really need much larger hotels for OKC to become a Tier 2 city. Plus, it would add that tower DT that we would all love to see come to fruition.

Karried
08-03-2005, 10:56 AM
How can we forward this information to the powers that be?

Pete
08-03-2005, 11:04 AM
The obvious location would be on top of what remains of the surface level Galleria parking garage, which is about the southern half.

http://mysite.verizon.net/res17zef/myriad3.jpg

BDP
08-03-2005, 11:17 AM
Nice selection Malibu.

It's a good point. We blew a great opportunity with the lot next to the Ford center where the Courtyard is. I especially don't want to see any more half-assed public-private ventures. It's amazing how much we have bent over for some of these people and we never get what we want. I think if we do it again, we need to do something significant.

mranderson
08-03-2005, 11:19 AM
Plus. I would like to see a new name on it such as the Omni, Hyatt, Doubletree, or Helmsley.

We need new, and higher end blood around here.

PUGalicious
08-03-2005, 11:19 AM
Nice selection Malibu.

It's a good point. We blew a great opportunity with the lot next to the Ford center where the Courtyard is. I especially don't want to see any more half-assed public-private ventures. It's amazing how much we have bent over for some of these people and we never get what we want. I think if we do it again, we need to do something significant.
You're right on the money.

Pete
08-03-2005, 11:30 AM
I hope this is the case of building critical mass through a bunch of small, independent ventures that will lead to the city being able to entice a big hitter for a major hotel / convention center.

We are definitely gathering momentum and that Galleria site should be held until we find the perfect developer and NOT let it turn into another Hampton or Residence Inn.

BDP
08-03-2005, 12:53 PM
that Galleria site should be held until we find the perfect developer and NOT let it turn into another Hampton or Residence Inn.

Which is the key. We can't give up much more prime space to dinky hotels.

There's also the Ford dealership site. I'm sure he wouldn't mind taking a check and moving the place a couple of blocks. I guess there could be space south of the Ford Center when the freeway moves that would make a good place for a convention hotel.

diesel
08-03-2005, 02:17 PM
So who is gonna take the initiative and email the big wigs at the corporate offices of the hotels we want in OKC?!!?

brianinok
08-03-2005, 05:01 PM
Just south of the Ford Center, between Robinson and Shields would be a great place after the blvd is completed. It could also get the ball rolling on development to the south.

venture
08-03-2005, 08:53 PM
I think one option that should be looked into, though probably financially prohibitive, would be a signature hotel facility OVER the canal. Place it on the one of the undeveloped areas to the south, or even close to the river where the canal will eventually drain. I'm thinking the base being an elevated glass arch structure with the tower on top of it. This would allow the public to continue to transit along the walk ways, but also allow for some small shops/cafes and a taxi boat drop off under/inside the hotel itself.

PUGalicious
08-04-2005, 04:23 AM
I think one option that should be looked into, though probably financially prohibitive, would be a signature hotel facility OVER the canal. Place it on the one of the undeveloped areas to the south, or even close to the river where the canal will eventually drain. I'm thinking the base being an elevated glass arch structure with the tower on top of it. This would allow the public to continue to transit along the walk ways, but also allow for some small shops/cafes and a taxi boat drop off under/inside the hotel itself.
That would be really cool! We need to find an independently wealthy visionary willing to invest in such an architectural work of art.

BDP
08-04-2005, 08:08 AM

That's a very good idea. However, I wonder if it would be allowed. I remember a proposal for a canal hotel being denied by Couch because its awning came too far out over the canal. I think incorporating the canal into a hotel is a natural, but I remember questioning whether this denial meant that it is not allowed.

Pete
08-04-2005, 09:04 AM
Is there much of anything in the Sheraton 'Century Center'?

That place has always been an ill-conceived ghost town. A two story mini mall has never been the best use for that location. Perhaps Sheraton could rework it and add another tower (taller one this time) to the west end and leave the middle as an atrium?

JOHNINSOKC
08-04-2005, 09:42 AM
Wasn't there a plan back in the 80's to build a 30+ story hotel tower addition to the Sheraton Century Center? I forget where I heard that, but it was probably going to happen if it weren't for the oil bust.

Pete
08-04-2005, 10:02 AM
I never heard that and I worked downtown from '82 to '89.

However, if they had considered it at one point, that's very encouraging.

I'm glad they've rennovated their existing rooms but that location could be so much more.

HOT ROD
08-04-2005, 04:25 PM
I think they should gut the Century Centre and turn it into a single anchor store. Like Nordstrom or Neiman Marcus.

I proposed this idea years ago (informally). The Century Centre connects to the Sheraton Hotel. Well, gut and renovate it into a single anchor store (with storefront boutiques and cafes). Then lease the anchor store to Nordstrom or Neiman or some upscale department store as their Oklahoma Anchor.

I also proposed re-opening Main Street, even if it is only one or two lanes as one way and putting additional storefront retail and restaurants in those skyscrapers in that area. This would create a "badly needed" shopping district for downtown and would give us our first downtown anchor in what? 30 years??

I think the Century Centre is too small to be a true mall. But its 10,000 or so feet is perfect for an anchor store!! And it would connect to the Sheraton, now that is a BIG selling point!!! Not to mention it is right across the street from the convention centre and much of downtown's current CBD.

Honestly, I wish I could buy the Century Centre, make deals with existing downtown skyscrapers and move the existing century centre businesses into the skyscrapers or their streetlevel fronts (esp on Main Street). Then, I'd gut the Century and install new floors and lease it to a major upscale anchor - not currently in Oklahoma!

I honestly think that is the BEST use for that building, otherwise - like others have said, tear it down and expand the Sheraton into a 1000+ room convention hotel.

By the way, the original plan for the Sheraton did call for another wing of the hotel and would have brought an additional 300+ rooms. But it was decided that with the decline of downtown back in the day, those rooms werent needed anymore. Good thing times have changed!

I think we need at least two large scale hotels like Adams Mark and Crowne Plaza, who specialize in large conventions. But I would really like to see the Century Centre renovated into an anchor store first!!!

jbrown84
08-04-2005, 10:23 PM
I have said before that we need a Hyatt Regency. If Wichita can support one, we certainly can (of course they have no Sheraton, Renaissance, or Courtyard). The perfect spot is across from the Myriad Gardens in that spot that MalibuSooner highlighted. Wouldn't it be great to see a fancy art-deco Hyatt overlooking the our own little Central Park? And then there could be storefront shops along Sheridan along the lines of Union Square in San Francisco.

JOHNINSOKC
08-05-2005, 10:15 AM
I really like the idea of a 1000+ room hotel. Is that area on the south end of the Galleria slated for parking or is it open for development? That would be the perfect place for a major convention hotel. Having an Omni, Hyatt, or Adam's Mark would put more variety in our hotel market. Many Hyatt's have observation decks and the one in Nashville has a revolving restaurant.

brianinok
08-05-2005, 04:31 PM
I think the next hotel brand to enter our market will be Hyatt. They have one in Wichita, for goodness sakes. Once the current/announced hotel boom is completed, we will have 4 full service Marriotts (Renaissance, NW Exp, Waterford, DT CY), 3 Hilton (Skirvin, Embassy BT, Embassy Airport), and 3 Starwood (FP Sheraton Airport, Sheraton DT, Sheraton MWC). I doubt any of those companies will add another hotel soon. My guess is the highest likelihood is a Hyatt, then either Omni or Wyndham.

jbrown84
08-05-2005, 07:13 PM
Who owns the Doubletree brand? That seems like another possibility considering they have two in Tulsa.

windowphobe
08-05-2005, 07:43 PM
Hilton acquired Doubletree's parent company in 1999.

HOT ROD
08-08-2005, 08:57 AM
I think the next hotel brand to enter our market will be Hyatt. They have one in Wichita, for goodness sakes. Once the current/announced hotel boom is completed, we will have 4 full service Marriotts (Renaissance, NW Exp, Waterford, DT CY), 3 Hilton (Skirvin, Embassy BT, Embassy Airport), and 3 Starwood (FP Sheraton Airport, Sheraton DT, Sheraton MWC). I doubt any of those companies will add another hotel soon. My guess is the highest likelihood is a Hyatt, then either Omni or Wyndham.

Doesnt Marriott also have full service hotels in NW and Airport (Courtyards at each location?)

Also, i think Starwood might add a Westin back to OKC. They clearly have an opportunity in the high end downtown market (currently dominated by Marriott). But yes, it would be great to have our next major hospitality group be from Hyatt and/or Omni.

How the heck could Wichita have a Hyatt (granted, that's all they have, but still) and OKC (and Tulsa) NOT have one????

Patrick
08-08-2005, 11:37 AM
I still think we need to go ahead and develop the south canal. Building a large convention hotel near Bass Pro and south of the current I-40 Crosstown wouldn't be a bad idea. Although, I admit I like the idea of building a convention hotel on the Galleria site.

Interstate Hotels, owner of the Sheraton downtown, have repeatedly said they're going to convert the Century Center into more meeting space/ball rooms. So far, I haven't seen it.