View Full Version : Puppy Detects Owner's Breast Cancer, Is Officially Woman's Best Friend

Achilleslastand
02-05-2014, 03:51 PM
Puppy Detects Owner's Breast Cancer, Is Officially Woman's Best Friend | Pets - Yahoo Shine (http://shine.yahoo.com/pets/puppy-detects-owner-39-breast-cancer-officially-woman-192500716.html)

When Diane Papazian's husband Harry pestered her to add Troy, a four-month-old Doberman Pinscher, to the family, she was reluctant. They already owned a fox terrier, and besides, she had allergies. Little did the Staten Island resident know, the new dog would be what she calls her "life saving puppy," detecting stage two breast cancer even though she had gone for a mammogram only six months earlier.

You can see Troy all grown up and competing in the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show next week. Besides being a life-saving hero, he's currently the ninth ranked Doberman pinscher in the country and number one in the state of New York and has done training to be a therapy dog for his post-show career. What did you do today?

The story begins three years ago when Troy's breeder asked if the family could take him home a month earlier than expected. "He was a tiny little thing," Papazin, now 56, tells Yahoo Shine. "One night he was curled up between us in bed. He kept nuzzling up against my left side." Troy's persistent nosing triggered an allergic reaction. "I itched myself, and then I popped up in bed and said, 'Holy cow! What's this?'" She felt a lump in her left breast that was already three centimeters in diameter.

Related: Lifesaving Dog Sniffs Out Girl's Disease, Even in Operating Room

Papazin alerted her physician and started treatment. To combat the aggressive form of breast cancer she was suffering, she had a double mastectomy and began chemotherapy. While she is still on chemo, Papazian says she is now cancer-free and feeling "very healthy." She adds, "If the dog had come a month later or if we hadn't taken him, I don't know what would have happened."

While Troy's incredible nose seems nothing short of a miracle, there is a growing field of research studying dogs and disease detection. Because dogs' sense of smell is so sharp—1000 to 100,000 times more acute than human's, depending on the breed—they are able to detect subtle chemical changes in the breath, blood, and urine that can be indicators of disease. They can sniff out the volatile compounds in the body that may indicate the presence of cancerous cells.

Sheila O'Brien of the Guide Dog Foundation tells Yahoo Shine that there are many organizations doing work with what are called "trained scent discrimination tasks" in the area of canine disease detection with succesful results. She explains how dogs can also alert owners with diabetes to an oncoming attack of low blood sugar. Speaking with the New York Daily News, Dina Garbis, a researcher with the InSitu Foundation, a non-profit studying cancer detection and dogs said, "Dogs can with 98% to 99% accuracy can tell you whether volatile, organic compounds are present in blood or breath samples."

Troy is now an imposing 86-pounder with an intense and steady gaze. Papazian says, "People get scared of Dobermans, but he's got the sweetest personality." He'll be facing off against nearly 3000 blue ribbon pooches from around the globe at Westminster, but she and her husband already call him, "the best dog on the planet."

Pete
02-05-2014, 03:56 PM
There seems to be no end to the miraculous things dogs can do.

Thanks for posting this.

Achilleslastand
02-05-2014, 04:14 PM
There seems to be no end to the miraculous things dogs can do.

Thanks for posting this.

Agreed and thank you.

I went thru a health crisis about 15 yrs ago and we had a brittany spaniel{buddy}who I often thought knew what I was going thru. The love and devotion he showed during that period were endless and there is no way I could pay him back for that.

PennyQuilts
02-05-2014, 05:16 PM
I've read in quite a few places that they are using dogs to sniff out diseases. And I have seen, first hand, how one of my dogs completely took it upon herself to comfort my dying mother even though Mom had never been a dog person. On quite a few occasions, my girl would sooth mom while we waited for pain meds to kick in. Once, Mom abruptly took a bad turn, went blind and got out of bed all disoriented. Her room was at the head of the stairs and my girl blocked her from falling down the stairs and gently herded her down the hall to a safe area before coming to get me.

I was recently reading about how sickness literally has a certain smell. My husband has a much higher developed sense of smell than I do but for well over a year after my mother's passing, the odor in her "sickroom" would knock me over when I walked in the door. No one else smelled anything which was amazing, to me, because the smell seemed so strong. I honestly don't think it was psychosomatic - I just think it was an odor I could detect for some reason.

Achilleslastand
02-05-2014, 05:21 PM
"Once, Mom abruptly took a bad turn, went blind and got out of bed all disoriented. Her room was at the head of the stairs and my girl blocked her from falling down the stairs and gently herded her down the hall to a safe area before coming to get me".

Amazing^^

PennyQuilts
02-05-2014, 05:55 PM
"Once, Mom abruptly took a bad turn, went blind and got out of bed all disoriented. Her room was at the head of the stairs and my girl blocked her from falling down the stairs and gently herded her down the hall to a safe area before coming to get me".

Amazing^^
She was such a good girl. We never had the slightest notion that she behave like that. Samoyeds are in the working dog class but she didn't have a job until Mom got sick. It was amazing to see how seriously she took her self appointed role and how much she enjoyed it. It was a horrible circumstance that gave her a job but that dog clearly was proud of her responsibilities and it seemed to really make her happy.

Jezebel wouldn't leave mom's side - she would even jump off the floor onto the hospital bed as gently as a feather landing. It gave mom so much comfort. The day before Mom died she lapsed into a coma. Jezebel abruptly refused to come into her room and when I tried to call her in, she looked upset and backed out. She knew. After mom died, she came back into the room and stayed with Mom until they took her away.

OKCTalker
02-06-2014, 08:36 AM
"Seizure alert dogs" are born with that ability, but it must be realized by humans before the dog can be further trained and placed with a patient. It is believed that the dogs use smell to detect a chemical change that immediately precedes a seizure. Dogs haven't yet been trained to detect these changes, they either have it or they don't.

Pete
02-06-2014, 09:21 AM
I know this is nothing like saving lives, but on the subject of dog super-smelling capabilities...

My oldest Labrador is absolutely insanely good about sniffing out baseballs. I live right next to a small college and I frequently take her on hikes around their sports complex.

Early on, she found some balls that went over the fence and I would throw them for her once to fetch, then toss them back onto the field. I assumed the school could use them for batting practice and the like.

There is quite a bit of brush all around the ball field and she can sniff balls out from quite a distance. If I take her there and give her some time, she'll pick up the scent, start circling, then dig through the foliage until she finds her prey. She's found more than 20 balls on a given day and over the years we've tossed back at least 500.

She turns 12 soon but is still as good as ever. My youngest Lab (her daughter) has picked the talent as well, although she lacks her mom's mastery. My middle Lab (also the daughter of the champion ball-sniffer) has absolutely zero interest.

https://scontent-a-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash2/t1/546321_3137895360937_2010766648_n.jpg

PennyQuilts
02-06-2014, 10:57 AM
Great story!

Achilleslastand
02-06-2014, 11:14 AM
I know this is nothing like saving lives, but on the subject of dog super-smelling capabilities...

My oldest Labrador is absolutely insanely good about sniffing out baseballs. I live right next to a small college and I frequently take her on hikes around their sports complex.

Early on, she found some balls that went over the fence and I would throw them for her once to fetch, then toss them back onto the field. I assumed the school could use them for batting practice and the like.

There is quite a bit of brush all around the ball field and she can sniff balls out from quite a distance. If I take her there and give her some time, she'll pick up the scent, start circling, then dig through the foliage until she finds her prey. She's found more than 20 balls on a given day and over the years we've tossed back at least 500.

She turns 12 soon but is still as good as ever. My youngest Lab (her daughter) has picked the talent as well, although she lacks her mom's mastery. My middle Lab (also the daughter of the champion ball-sniffer) has absolutely zero interest.

https://scontent-a-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash2/t1/546321_3137895360937_2010766648_n.jpg

LOL nice....
She looks like she should be playing center field.

Pete
02-06-2014, 11:27 AM
LOL nice....
She looks like she should be playing center field.

Or in softball, Rover. :)

She's the greatest dog ever.

MsDarkstar
02-06-2014, 02:34 PM
My sweet baby Max, a German Shepherd mix pound puppy, had a super sniffer. My mother is an insulin dependent diabetic & there was a period of time when her blood sugar was out of control. She'd have high highs and even lower lows, especially low in the overnight hours. Max would wake her up at odd hours of the night & every single time her blood sugar was below 50 (way too low). Once the doctor got her insulin & meds leveled out, and her sugar was steady, he stopped waking her up. We lost him last year after a brief illness, at age 12, but we sure miss him.

PennyQuilts
02-06-2014, 09:13 PM
What a dog. I know it must have broke your heart to say goodbye to Max.

Prunepicker
02-07-2014, 12:40 AM
Puppy Detects Owner's Breast Cancer, Is Officially Woman's Best Friend | Pets - Yahoo Shine (http://shine.yahoo.com/pets/puppy-detects-owner-39-breast-cancer-officially-woman-192500716.html)
My dog knew something was wrong with mom in law before anyone (doctor)
noticed anything. I believe the cancer may have had a distinct odor. Midge
wouldn't leaver her side. She would lay at her side until it was bedtime for
Prunette and I. I guess we were priorities to her. Can't say.

Funny thing, mom in law couldn't stand dogs. However, when she moved
into the stage of dementia, she loved Midge. In fact, she'd talk to her instead
of telling her to get out of her room. Midge was very compliant. Most
Labs are. She gave mom in law all the loves.

MsDarkstar
02-07-2014, 08:44 PM
What a dog. I know it must have broke your heart to say goodbye to Max.

He was my baby & losing him just about killed me. His passing was very unexpected. My other baby, Chloe (a Basenji/Border Collie mix), had a nasal cavity tumor & she passed 5 months after he did. We'd been preparing ourselves to lose her, so in a way it was easier but with Max...very very hard. 6603

PennyQuilts
02-07-2014, 09:28 PM
Love the photo. Losing them is just heart breaking. It seems like it is not all that uncommon to lose two in a relatively close period of time.