View Full Version : Snow Emergency Program

venture
02-05-2014, 02:02 PM
Debated where to put this, but it is more transportation focused than weather focused so will drop it here. I've been talking with some friends who live in areas that utilize a Snow Emergency system to handle relaying conditions to drivers and businesses and thought I would share.

Right now in Oklahoma we really just have the status put out by DPS which uses information from the state highway patrol. We have two categories - "Slick in spots" and "Slick and Hazardous" but nothing more defined than that. There is the option as well to close interstates and roads when conditions get too bad, but no unified way to relay the information. So I was think that maybe it would be time to adopt a "Snow Emergency" level system to apply to Oklahoma.

Here is a good example I found online from Ohio. These are issued by the sheriff of each county, but can fall to another high ranking official (maybe county commissioners?) if desired.

Level One - Roads are hazardous and drivers need to use extreme caution. No parking along streets or along roads that are snow emergency routes.

Level Two - Driving discouraged and only necessary travel is recommended. Most schools and some businesses typically do not operate.

Level Three - All public roadways are closed for general public use. Only emergency response and medical personnel are allowed on the roads. Motorists can be fined and arrested if found driving.

We seem to be getting into this routine of some schools closing for no reason or even businesses unsure of how to handle their staffing during various winter weather events. I could see the benefit of this system in allowing for a much more uniform handling of weather conditions.

Sunday for example I would probably say would have been a Level 2 in most areas because roads were pretty passable just not the best at all. Obviously our blizzards would fall into that Level 3 category. Level 1 would probably be in for the snow tomorrow if we get close to the 2 inch mark, but less than that likely wouldn't cause many issues.

If I'm running a business it would make it easier for me to know how to handle things because if say a Level 3 is out, I know that most won't report for work and that if I deal with customers coming on site - then they won't be there either.

Thoughts?

Plutonic Panda
02-05-2014, 02:25 PM
Now we want to tell people when they can and can't drive here? Hell to the no. Not like it's ever going to happen, but that is something that would really piss people off and something that should never see the light of day.

LakeEffect
02-05-2014, 02:35 PM
Now we want to tell people when they can and can't drive here? Hell to the no. Not like it's ever going to happen, but that is something that would really piss people off and something that should never see the light of day.

From the preamble of the Oklahoma Constitution: "To promote our mutual welfare and happiness."

And, from Article 2, Section 1 Political power - Purpose of government - Alteration or reformation: "All political power is inherent in the people; and government is instituted for their protection, security, and benefit, and to promote their general welfare; and they have the right to alter or reform the same whenever the public good may require it: Provided, such change be not repugnant to the Constitution of the United States."

It is most certainly well within the right of the government to have the ability to tell people NOT to drive if conditions warrant because our mutual welfare depends on it.

Additionally, many cities and/or states (as Venture pointed out) have these types of laws already.

catch22
02-05-2014, 02:40 PM
People think the roads belong to them. They belong to the government you pay your taxes to. They permit you to drive on them, via a license, proof of insurance, and proof of ability to operate your vehicle in accordance with their rules for driving.

If they say the roads are closed, unfortunately they are closed. You can still walk. But we built our city to not promote walking, so unless you want to walk 4 miles to the nearest store, you are SOLJWF.

venture
02-05-2014, 02:46 PM

You do realize they already do this right? It just isn't anywhere nearly as organized as what it could be. My topic is about getting it all pulled into an organized system so it can be communicated in a more efficient manner. Plus, businesses (granted not all will) can adopt the policy of a having flexibility when a specific snow emergency level is declared. Say if I have my business and its based here in Norman, and my employee is in Edmond... I could go outside and see only an inch of snow and roads are okay but in Edmond it might be 10 inches of snow and nothing is safe to drive on. Right now I would say "roads are fine, everyone is expected to report to work" when it would be dangerous for the employee at their home to venture out. Under a snow emergency system I can modify that policy to be "we are open, but if you are under a level 3 you are not expected to report but must call ahead."

People think the roads belong to them. They belong to the government you pay your taxes to. They permit you to drive on them, via a license, proof of insurance, and proof of ability to operate your vehicle in accordance with their rules for driving.

If they say the roads are closed, unfortunately they are closed. You can still walk. But we built our city to not promote walking, so unless you want to walk 4 miles to the nearest store, you are SOLJWF.

Exactly. They already close roads due to weather now. 2009 nearly the entire interstate system in the state was shut down due to the blizzard. This is nothing new, but some might be too young to remember.

catch22
02-05-2014, 02:57 PM
Dubya your private message box is full, I'll resend if you clear some space!

Tier2City
02-05-2014, 03:15 PM
Next thing you know, the government will be telling us the government can't build five stacks everywhere.

Dubya61
02-05-2014, 03:21 PM
Dubya your private message box is full, I'll resend if you clear some space!

Done!

Plutonic Panda
02-05-2014, 07:42 PM
From the preamble of the Oklahoma Constitution: "To promote our mutual welfare and happiness."

And, from Article 2, Section 1 Political power - Purpose of government - Alteration or reformation: "All political power is inherent in the people; and government is instituted for their protection, security, and benefit, and to promote their general welfare; and they have the right to alter or reform the same whenever the public good may require it: Provided, such change be not repugnant to the Constitution of the United States."

It is most certainly well within the right of the government to have the ability to tell people NOT to drive if conditions warrant because our mutual welfare depends on it.

Additionally, many cities and/or states (as Venture pointed out) have these types of laws already.The roads should not be closed due to inclement weather here in Oklahoma. We live in a subtropical climate and there is absolutely no reason to have that rating system. I'm not even going to post about this anymore though, as it is not going to happen.

Plutonic Panda
02-05-2014, 07:45 PM
You do realize they already do this right? It just isn't anywhere nearly as organized as what it could be. My topic is about getting it all pulled into an organized system so it can be communicated in a more efficient manner. Plus, businesses (granted not all will) can adopt the policy of a having flexibility when a specific snow emergency level is declared. Say if I have my business and its based here in Norman, and my employee is in Edmond... I could go outside and see only an inch of snow and roads are okay but in Edmond it might be 10 inches of snow and nothing is safe to drive on. Right now I would say "roads are fine, everyone is expected to report to work" when it would be dangerous for the employee at their home to venture out. Under a snow emergency system I can modify that policy to be "we are open, but if you are under a level 3 you are not expected to report but must call ahead."

Exactly. They already close roads due to weather now. 2009 nearly the entire interstate system in the state was shut down due to the blizzard. This is nothing new, but some might be too young to remember.Ok, one more post.

I understand this happens, but usually only with interstates. I'm fine with that. I am NOT fine with the city declaring the streets have officially been closed and no one can drive on any of them.

venture
02-05-2014, 08:44 PM
Ok, one more post.

I understand this happens, but usually only with interstates. I'm fine with that. I am NOT fine with the city declaring the streets have officially been closed and no one can drive on any of them.

They...already...can. This is nothing new. The suggested program would just organize the communication of it for people to better follow.

Mel
02-05-2014, 09:03 PM
Anything that gets the everyone on the same page is a good idea.

ljbab728
02-05-2014, 09:27 PM
They...already...can. This is nothing new. The suggested program would just organize the communication of it for people to better follow.

You're absolutely correct. It's not unusual at all for city streets to be closed during flooding conditions.

Mr. Cotter
02-07-2014, 08:41 AM
I lived in Ohio for a while, and this system seemed to work well. If it got to Level 3, you really didn't want to be on the roads anyway.

How many days a year in Oklahoma do I have to skid my car to work before we stop pretending like it doesn't snow here?

venture
02-07-2014, 10:35 AM
Anything that gets the everyone on the same page is a good idea.

That's all the program is about. Communication so everyone can have policies in line and expectations set.

ou48A
02-07-2014, 11:33 AM
I vote for more beet juice

gjl
02-07-2014, 07:59 PM
So you are saying there would be no going out for bread, milk, and toilet paper during a Level 3. Just as well as the stores would probably be sold out before it hit based on Mike Morgan's warnings.

catch22
02-07-2014, 11:31 PM
This is a news 9 Level 9 winter emergency, sponsored by Homeland.

Mel
02-07-2014, 11:52 PM
You're absolutely correct. It's not unusual at all for city streets to be closed during flooding conditions.

And it's amazing that people still blast around those barriers and sputter out in the deepest part of the flooded street.