View Full Version : Gallbladder surgery

Easy180
02-03-2014, 01:30 PM
Looking likely that mine will be yanked out later this month...Wondering if others on here are minus theirs and if so how did it affect your life afterward?

Just the facts
02-03-2014, 01:33 PM
My wife had her's removed. She just has to be careful what she eats before noon (no dairy and very little sugar). After noon she is okay with about anything.

kelroy55
02-03-2014, 01:35 PM
My wife had her's removed. She just has to be careful what she eats before noon (no dairy and very little sugar). After noon she is okay with about anything.

Why would it matter before noon?

gjl
02-03-2014, 01:36 PM
My wife had hers removed many years ago. Hasn't seemed to effect her over all health. I don't think it is as bad as it was years ago since it is done with pretty small incisions and a scope. Hers was done that way.

Just the facts
02-03-2014, 01:40 PM
Why would it matter before noon?

She just doesn't want the first thing in her stomach to be dairy (lactose) or sugary.

kelroy55
02-03-2014, 01:57 PM
She just doesn't want the first thing in her stomach to be dairy (lactose) or sugary.

Oh OK, that makes sense.

Garin
02-03-2014, 02:46 PM
I thought I was having problems with mine a few weeks ago, went to the doctor he ended up treating me for indigestion.... He did say that in school they are taught about the 3 F's when it comes to gallbladders... Female, Fat, and Fertile. I had never heard that before but after I left most the people i know that have had the surgery have been women.

stick47
02-03-2014, 03:06 PM
I went on meds to reduce my cholesterol in 2010 and the downside to that was that a bile duct became blocked by a stone... made out of cholesterol . They got the stone out without surgery but due to the blockage the Dr said the gall bladder had to come out. Went in for the 2 hour operation the next month and came out after 5 hours. Because of the blockage the GB had dilated and grew together with my colon and part of the intestine so it had to be cut away. Very lucky I didn't develop an infection.

Mel
02-03-2014, 03:07 PM
I've had mine removed a few years ago. (I'm Fat ;)) and it's mostly greasy food I can't handle. If you're hairy they will shave midway up your chest and down to almost your pubes. The little holes they make heal fast.

Easy180
02-03-2014, 03:37 PM
They tested mine 5 yrs ago when I was enjoying heartburn and indigestion and it was only working at 10% (say normal was 30-35%)...I have been miserable for 3 weeks now so doubt they will even test again as they don't magically repair themselves lol

I have read only a fifth of gallbladder surgeries are men so guess I get to join an exclusive club

PennyQuilts
02-03-2014, 05:42 PM
Easy, this is one of those surgeries that seems to really work. My mother had hers removed while in her fifties and never looked back. My father-in-law had his removed in his MID EIGHTIES and is going strong several years later. In both cases, they felt much better. It didn't take my mom long to be back to normal but my FIL took longer because of his age. But he DID heal. Here's hoping you have a smooth recovery. I bet you will do great, good luck.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
02-04-2014, 08:29 AM
I was in my 20s and in great shape when mine went south. Suffered for a couple of years until it got to be constant and excruciating pain.

It hurt so bad that I felt better the moment I woke up from the surgery. Been over 10 years now and I don't even think of it.

Easy180
02-04-2014, 08:39 AM
I was in my 20s and in great shape when mine went south. Suffered for a couple of years until it got to be constant and excruciating pain.

It hurt so bad that I felt better the moment I woke up from the surgery. Been over 10 years now and I don't even think of it.

Thanks, that is certainly motivational!

RadicalModerate
02-04-2014, 08:52 AM
My mom had hers out many, many years ago and I seem to remember that it was a bit of an ordeal.

My daughter-in-law had hers out a few years ago and it was only a two or three hour, outpatient procedure at Mercy Hospital.

My wife had hers out a year ago, last November. She had been having problems for several months. They said her gallbladder was "atrophied" but after it was removed, unlike mom or my daughter-in-law, she didn't really feel any better.

Four months later, the reason why she didn't feel better was discovered: A tumor on the back side of her liver that actually managed to block off the bile duct and thus began a many month treatment and recovery process. She seems to be feeling just fine now and can eat pretty much whatever she wants without ill effects.

I was sort of curious why "they" didn't wonder what would cause the gallbladder to "atrophy" (perhaps the tumor?) but one of the ER doctors--months after the gallbladder surgery--said, "It's not the sort of thing you find unless you look for it." I thought that was a reasonable answer.

Short version: The surgery itself seems to be a breeze and you will be feeling a lot better very quickly. You will probably want to lighten up on greasy food a little. At least that's the general consensus. I wish you well

TaoMaas
02-04-2014, 09:50 AM
Had mine removed a couple of years ago. Had the surgery on a Wednesday...was out walking around on vacation (gingerly) by the weekend...back at work the following Monday. I've heard some people have a hard time with lettuce after they have their gall bladder removed, but I haven't had any such problem. The only thing I've noticed as being different is that some fast food goes right through me. Haven't quite narrowed down exactly why because it doesn't happen with all fast food. I'm thinking it has to do with the type of oil they cook in or something. Other than that, I'm able to eat whatever I want to eat.

ctchandler
02-04-2014, 11:36 AM
My late wife had hers removed, and a stone about the size of a golf ball is in my dresser drawer. For a small lady, it's quite large, although, I don't know that her size has anything to do with the stone(s).They had to make two more incisions due to the size. The only problem she had was they neglected to warn her about coughing and how to handle it. Surgery on Monday, and on Friday she coughed and it tore the stitches and Saturday morning, they cut her open to repair the damage. She was a strong lady but said it was the worst pain she had ever experienced. They were supposed to tell her to keep a pillow handy and squeeze it against her abdomen when she felt a cough (and I think sneeze) coming on. Don't take my advice, ask your doctor about it before surgery.
C. T.

PennyQuilts
02-04-2014, 01:25 PM
My mom had hers out many, many years ago and I seem to remember that it was a bit of an ordeal.

My daughter-in-law had hers out a few years ago and it was only a two or three hour, outpatient procedure at Mercy Hospital.

My wife had hers out a year ago, last November. She had been having problems for several months. They said her gallbladder was "atrophied" but after it was removed, unlike mom or my daughter-in-law, she didn't really feel any better.

Four months later, the reason why she didn't feel better was discovered: A tumor on the back side of her liver that actually managed to block off the bile duct and thus began a many month treatment and recovery process. She seems to be feeling just fine now and can eat pretty much whatever she wants without ill effects.

I was sort of curious why "they" didn't wonder what would cause the gallbladder to "atrophy" (perhaps the tumor?) but one of the ER doctors--months after the gallbladder surgery--said, "It's not the sort of thing you find unless you look for it." I thought that was a reasonable answer.

Short version: The surgery itself seems to be a breeze and you will be feeling a lot better very quickly. You will probably want to lighten up on greasy food a little. At least that's the general consensus. I wish you well
Glad your Mrs. is okay.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
02-04-2014, 10:08 PM
Thanks, that is certainly motivational!

No problem man! It really was a very good thing for me. And I had complications lol.

They're pretty much gonna tell you "as soon as you stand up and go pee, you're going home"...That's how easy the procedure is.

I now have zero intolerance for any food. Nothing hurts my gut except maybe Taco Bell. But that's worth it :D

I can't really say more than that...Because like I said above...I rarely think about it. I know some people complain of some things after it...But I'm glad it was done.

RadicalModerate
02-04-2014, 10:27 PM
Glad your Mrs. is okay.

Me too.
And thank you for caring.

Edited to Add:
Along with sincere thanks to every single member of The Staff at Mercy Hospital from the ER Tech to the Dinner Tray Bringer to the amazing Doctor of Chemical Cancer Fighting (after it was discovered after the perfect gallbladder extraction) all the way down to the kind Vending Machine Stocker who gave me a "freebee" from the state of the art vending machine when the coin slot didn't work right.

When you hang out around a hospital for a month or so,
You tend to pay attention to details.
Or at least I did. =)

Don't take any of that as sarcasm. Or as a phony plug/ad for whatever.
Mercy Hospital is hitting up around 100% in "my book".
Even if "they" are "catholic".
On this side of "the new millennium".

RadicalModerate
02-04-2014, 11:22 PM
To the OP:

A gallbladder is as valuable as, perhaps . . . a pair of tonsils or one appendix.
Don't worry about it. Really. It's Easy.

Be sure to ask for the currently available HD photos of the microsurgery results.
They are very cool, suitable for framing.

Since the Civil War, "medicine" has continued to progress.

(Unlike my [PERSONAL] Kidney Stone back around '74/or thereabouts.
Although I have to admit that if one wanted to see a "Calcium Pinecone"
it would have been a good shot. =)

Know This: The Medical Professionals Know What They Are Doing.
You Will Feel Better after that funky gallbladder is gone.

Easy180
02-20-2014, 03:21 PM
Surgery was this morning and everything went well. On pain pills so I will really need to focus when posting for the next day or so :cool:

Uncle Slayton
02-20-2014, 05:10 PM
Had mine out in 2010 after an agonizing two weeks prior to the surgery. I felt better instantly (after shaking off the anesthesia). The only adjustments I had to make is that my *ahem* 'reaction' to greasy food is very soon after eating and you'll need to take such things seriously or you'll end up in Rokerville.

Other than that, haven't missed it.

PennyQuilts
02-20-2014, 05:19 PM
Surgery was this morning and everything went well. On pain pills so I will really need to focus when posting for the next day or so :cool:

How odd - I was wondering if you'd had your surgery, just today, and planned to ask. Hope things continue to go well.

Easy180
02-20-2014, 06:18 PM
How odd - I was wondering if you'd had your surgery, just today, and planned to ask. Hope things continue to go well.

Appreciate it Penny. So far so good.

Easy180
02-20-2014, 06:19 PM
Had mine out in 2010 after an agonizing two weeks prior to the surgery. I felt better instantly (after shaking off the anesthesia). The only adjustments I had to make is that my *ahem* 'reaction' to greasy food is very soon after eating and you'll need to take such things seriously or you'll end up in Rokerville.

Other than that, haven't missed it.

Figured I would do take out instead of dining in until I get a feel for what will make me run for the hills.

Mel
02-20-2014, 06:44 PM

Post surgery pain is not too bad. Everyone has different trigger foods afterwards but greasy is a common one.