View Full Version : Phillip Seymour Hoffman found dead

Pete
02-02-2014, 04:11 PM
He was only 46.

Looks like a heroin overdose:

Sources: Philip Seymour Hoffman dead of apparent drug overdose - CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/02/showbiz/philip-seymour-hoffman-obit/)

CaptDave
02-02-2014, 04:27 PM
Sad - and until today I never realized he was Dusty in 'Twister'.

Mel
02-02-2014, 04:52 PM
I really thought he had his act together better than this. What a waste. Left behind 3 children.

ThomPaine
02-02-2014, 06:25 PM
What a shame. Great actor. Imagine being wealthy enough to pretty much be able to do whatever you want, and you turn to drugs for escape. What a waste.

Dustin
02-02-2014, 06:41 PM
Wonderful actor. RIP

Achilleslastand
02-02-2014, 07:17 PM
Sad news indeed.....
Especially for the remaining family.
He was selfish.

gjl
02-02-2014, 07:53 PM
Found him with a needle stuck in his arm. No sympathies here. Natures way of thinning the herd.

Chadanth
02-02-2014, 07:57 PM
It's sad because it's obvious talent being wasted. The guy was a great actor but something was clearly wrong with him. Unfortunate.

mugofbeer
02-02-2014, 08:16 PM
Just another example of the excesses of Hollywood and how so many there cant resist the allure of drug abuse to cope with the pressures of self importance.

zookeeper
02-02-2014, 08:24 PM
Found him with a needle stuck in his arm. No sympathies here. Natures way of thinning the herd.

Wow. I wish I was as perfect as you apparently are. Many people go down these tough stretches in life, sometimes it beats them before they beat the problem. He did once and was sober for years, he recently openly admitted his problems again and went to rehab. He was fighting his own personal demons and you always hear about the Hollywood stars, most aren't and you don't hear about them. Hoffman left behind three children - ages 11, 8, and 6.

People have problems and they don't deserve to die. We're all trying to learn to be human beings on this Earth, for some it's harder than others.
I find your remarks sad and pathetic for the lack of empathy - not to mention the ignorance and shameful words you chose to use publicly on news of a fellow man's death.

gjl
02-02-2014, 08:31 PM
Wow. I wish I was as perfect as you apparently are. Many people go down these tough stretches in life, sometimes it beats them before they beat the problem. He did once and was sober for years, he recently openly admitted his problems again and went to rehab. He was fighting his own personal demons and you always hear about the Hollywood stars, most aren't and you don't hear about them. Hoffman left behind three children - ages 11, 8, and 6.

People have problems and they don't deserve to die. We're all trying to learn to be human beings on this Earth, for some it's harder than others.
I find your remarks sad and pathetic for the lack of empathy - not to mention the ignorance and shameful words you chose to use publicly on news of a fellow man's death.

Found with a needle in his arm and 8 empty bags of what usually contain heroin. Go ahead. Bleed your heart out for him. I won't. He was probably one of those evil rich people too.

zookeeper
02-02-2014, 08:37 PM
Found with a needle in his arm and 8 empty bags of what usually contain heroin. Go ahead. Bleed your heart out for him. I won't. He was probably one of those evil rich people too.

"Bleed my heart out" for him? He died - TODAY. Again, posting such glee, I hope you can look in the mirror and see one perfect human being. It may not be heroin, but there's something you've fought in your life. We all have. That's part of what makes us human. If I'm not allowed to publicly state sympathy on the day of a man's death without being attacked on the Internet then maybe he's in a better place than us all right now.

betts
02-02-2014, 08:40 PM
I feel sorry for his family, and especially for his children. They lost a father. Life is hard and some people are made of tougher stuff than others. As I've said elsewhere, many people are only in remission from addiction and that's something those of us who have never been addicted cannot really understand. We feel sorry for people who go out of remission from cancer, I feel bad for people who are struggling with any illness. Many of us will die of heart disease, diabetes or hypertension. We're addicted to food or cigarettes. While those are more socially acceptable addictions, and we don't usually look down on people suffering from them, they're really no different.

Garin
02-02-2014, 08:45 PM
If you're shooting up that much heroin at once you either want to die or you were murdered. I often wonder if people like the deceased knew what they were doing maybe he didn't want to be rescued , just like a stray dog may not want to be rescued yet people literally drive around the city looking for dogs and people to save. How about leaving them alone and leave them to their vices /happiness.

MadMonk
02-02-2014, 09:00 PM
What a waste of a huge talent.

Prunepicker
02-02-2014, 11:58 PM
I'm not familiar with him. Some people believe they are invincible.

Wrong.

Prunepicker
02-03-2014, 12:01 AM
What a waste of a huge talent.
He was an actor, right? Which movies?

Ginkasa
02-03-2014, 12:04 AM
His IMDb page (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000450/)

ljbab728
02-03-2014, 12:07 AM
He was an actor, right? Which movies?

He won an Oscar for "Copote" and was here in Oklahoma to film a supporting role in "Twister". There were numerous other notable roles.

kevinpate
02-03-2014, 05:47 AM
I think the role I enjoyed best was his supporting role in Charlie Wilson's war.
Reminded me of a friend and former co-worker.

kelroy55
02-03-2014, 05:58 AM
He was a great talent and will be missed. Addiction is a strange beast and bites you when you least expect it. RIP

stick47
02-03-2014, 07:28 AM
The Hollywood culture is just as sick as he was. Hard to swim in those waters and keep your values. RIP & prayers to his family.

Dubya61
02-03-2014, 02:16 PM
"Bleed my heart out" for him? He died - TODAY. Again, posting such glee, I hope you can look in the mirror and see one perfect human being. It may not be heroin, but there's something you've fought in your life. We all have. That's part of what makes us human. If I'm not allowed to publicly state sympathy on the day of a man's death without being attacked on the Internet then maybe he's in a better place than us all right now.

zoo: I appreciate your celebration and affirmation of humanity and life. It is tragic. I find every suicide to be incredibly sad and worthy of introspection. It's so hard to imagine the depression that causes one to decide that everything future is worse than the present.

Just the facts
02-03-2014, 02:34 PM
I think the role I enjoyed best was his supporting role in Charlie Wilson's war.
Reminded me of a friend and former co-worker.

Even though it was a small role, I thought he did a good job in Moneyball.

SdCNcN-NFXA

kelroy55
02-03-2014, 03:53 PM
zoo: I appreciate your celebration and affirmation of humanity and life. It is tragic. I find every suicide to be incredibly sad and worthy of introspection. It's so hard to imagine the depression that causes one to decide that everything future is worse than the present.

It was a suicide?

Dubya61
02-03-2014, 03:58 PM
It was a suicide?

My opinion. I think most drug use (esp. heroin, etc.) should be considered attempted suicide.

kevinpate
02-03-2014, 04:24 PM
It was a suicide?

Needle let in arm, several drug packets laying empty.

If it wasn't a suicide, he had no clue what he was up to.

As it wasn't his first rodeo, lack of knowledge seems unlikely.

Could be staged I suppose, but there are better ways to stage a suicide.

BBatesokc
02-03-2014, 05:00 PM
Don't really know how anyone can make an assertion this was suicide based on the extremely limited amount of information any of us have to go on. Disregarding his state of mind (which none of us could know) and activities directly prior to his death and going strictly on some snippets in the media is wild guessing at best, IMO.

BBatesokc
02-03-2014, 05:01 PM
My opinion. I think most drug use (esp. heroin, etc.) should be considered attempted suicide.

I feel the same way about smokers or those who frequent fast food restaurants then............

Garin
02-03-2014, 05:48 PM

they are saying now they found 70 packets near the body…..

Mel
02-03-2014, 06:10 PM
He has been battling addictions problems for a long time. Perhaps the breakup with his longtime girlfriend and not being to have as much time with their kids drove him to a level of despair that few can understand. I don't know if he misjudged how much he could do now compared to how much he did when he was using regularly or He intended to check out. A bad hotshot will stop your heart almost instantly. Hence the needle in the arm. Addiction is a disease you have to fight 24/7. Your never "cured". You just count and bless the days your sober. I feel the most for those little'uns.

gjl
02-03-2014, 09:00 PM

What specifically did I post that indicates glee. My lack of sympathy or empathy is not glee. It is simply lack of sympathy for a drug abuser. No more. No less. He had 3 children to live for and he chose heroin. You are the one that attacked me.

RadicalModerate
02-03-2014, 09:11 PM
I thought that Phillip Seymour Hoffman was such a good actor--especially for his roles in The Big Lebowski and Capote--that I doubted the rumor that Woody Allen was seriously considering him for a leading role in a remake of The Gary Busey Story.

(these are "actors", people. Hollywood celebrities and so forth. they are not the characters they play. neither was John Wayne, Bob Hope or Bing Crosby.)

(in Medieval Times, jugglers, jesters, troubadours and minstrels would have been whining to the sovereign for equal press-time)

soonerguru
02-03-2014, 09:26 PM
Best character actor of his generation. Heck, maybe best character actor, period.

soonerguru
02-03-2014, 09:29 PM

It's an overdose. He's an addict. With smack you never know what you're getting. I know two people who died of heroin overdoses in Norman.

Here's a good article from the New York Times on the varying strength and availability of heroin today.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/04/nyregion/hoffmans-heroin-points-to-surge-in-grim-trade.html?smid=fb-share

kevinpate
02-03-2014, 09:30 PM
they are saying now they found 70 packets near the body…..

Not what I read. I've seen different reports of 5-8 empty packs, and the report stating 5 empty near him noted another 65 loaded packs were located on the premises.

RadicalModerate
02-03-2014, 09:57 PM
Best character actor of his generation. Heck, maybe best character actor, period.

Billy Bob Thornton or Bruce Dern might beg to disagree.
No . . . Different generation.
They would get their PR guy to kick one's ass to disagree.
(maybe we should "Ask Elvis" . . ? =)

(and don't neglect to remember Edward Everette Horton
who, rather than injecting heroin,
did voiceovers on
"Rocky and Bullwinkle Present: Fractured Fairy Tales.")

(apparently, some critics never experience TCM or that local PBS deal on Channel 14 =)

RadicalModerate
02-03-2014, 10:03 PM
In all honesty, when I read the "OP/Headline" on this thread, for just a moment I confused Phillip S. Hoffman with the third guy in the triumvirate of acting excellence in "O! Brother Where Art Thou." (The one who was worried about his pal in the movie being turned into a toad.)

RadicalModerate
02-03-2014, 10:10 PM

Please permit me a rewrite for the script:
I agree with your premise if we substitute "worst" for "best" character actor.
In terms of real life. question mark?

RadicalModerate
02-03-2014, 10:25 PM
In retrospect, I suppose that all of this could be used as a good argument for medicinal marijuana.
(well . . . with the right celebrity spokesperson it could be. =)

soonerguru
02-03-2014, 10:59 PM
In retrospect, I suppose that all of this could be used as a good argument for medicinal marijuana.
(well . . . with the right celebrity spokesperson it could be. =)

Are you high?

RadicalModerate
02-03-2014, 11:32 PM
Are you high?

On life. Real life.
(how about you?)
(since you asked)

soonerguru
02-03-2014, 11:58 PM
On life. Real life.
(how about you?)
(since you asked)

Sorry, I was just reacting to your series of string-of-consciousness posts that have little to do with Phillip Seymour Hoffman.

RadicalModerate
02-04-2014, 12:07 AM
Sorry, I was just reacting to your series of string-of-consciousness posts that have little to do with Phillip Seymour Hoffman.

I could be wrong, yet isn't it "'stream' of consciousness"?
(all of which had everything to do with P.S. Hoffman)

Which provides a perfect opening for the, as yet unasked, rhetorical question:

"Are you low?" =)

hoya
02-04-2014, 08:34 PM
My understanding is that heroin users frequently overdose after a long period of sobriety. I had a client who died that way. He used to use a whole lot. Then he was sober for a few years. One night he decided to have a big party, just for old time's sake. He shot up just like he used to. Only thing was, in the meantime his tolerance had gone way back down. The amount it used to take to get him high was now fatal. Died in minutes.

Phillip Seymour Hoffman may have been in the same situation.

betts
02-04-2014, 09:17 PM
Russell Brand: my life without drugs | Culture | The Guardian (http://www.theguardian.com/culture/2013/mar/09/russell-brand-life-without-drugs)

I don't think we understand unless we've been there.

kelroy55
02-05-2014, 06:01 AM
My understanding is that heroin users frequently overdose after a long period of sobriety. I had a client who died that way. He used to use a whole lot. Then he was sober for a few years. One night he decided to have a big party, just for old time's sake. He shot up just like he used to. Only thing was, in the meantime his tolerance had gone way back down. The amount it used to take to get him high was now fatal. Died in minutes.

Phillip Seymour Hoffman may have been in the same situation.

I may be wrong but I think I read somewhere he was new to using a needle so that may have been a factor as well. RIP

Lord Helmet
02-05-2014, 12:03 PM
Addiction is just so sad. I can't imagine the kind of struggles addicts of all types must deal with. Be it drugs, alcohol, food, gambling, etc. I smoked for 10 years but quitting was actually really easy so I have no real frame of reference. I'll not judge because I don't know how it feels the HAVE to have something like that. No one that drinks their first beer thinks they're going to be an alcoholic. I'm certain Mr. Hoffman didn't think he was going to become an addict either. Its just so sad.