View Full Version : Black History Month

RadicalModerate
02-01-2014, 02:15 PM
So, I was checking in on my Facebook page (for no good reason except to edit a recipe I was posting) and was reminded--by a sidebar (on the side) that this is the first day of Black History Month.

I have a question in this regard: Why is FEBRUARY "Black History Month" (fer cryin' out loud)?
(I'm too lazy to google the official answer)

I once had a student (from OKC rather than Louisiana or Arkansas or some other extra-Oklahoma location) who hated to get out into the cold weather to learn some "carpentry/construction" stuff. He actually said to me, "Mr. C . . . We are a tropical people and . . ." I thought it was the best "excuse"/"objection" ever and would have given him an "A" for it, if we used that sort of grading system at our outpost of attempted correction, direction and hope for the future (federally funded).

Is it because all the months--except February--have already been claimed as White History Months?

(again: i'm too lazy to google the official answer so I'm asking for extra-googlian possible answers. =)

blangtang
02-01-2014, 02:39 PM
Wu-Tang Financial ‏@Wu_Tang_Finance 18h

HOW COME BLACK HISTORY MONTH HAS GOTTA BE THE SHORTEST MONTH OF THE YEAR THATS ****ED UP BRUH

Mel
02-01-2014, 04:39 PM
Could it be tied in with Lincoln's Birthday?

RadicalModerate
02-01-2014, 06:26 PM
Could it be tied in with Lincoln's Birthday?

Mebbe . . . But weren't President's Birthday Days combined--then dumped--at some point in recent Holiday History?

I saw this artist in a venue much like this, back in the day . . .
Back when both of us were younger and less cynical =)

He opened the show, plinking on a Kalimba (African thumb piano)
After that, he picked up his guitar.
04_9KBCu9G8

One thing I have learned, over the intervening years, is that
the bridge between black and white is grey.

Skipping the New Age Ad (at the start of the vid, below) is probably a wise decision.

Taj Mahal / Take a Giant step - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V71CZ-0OwAE)

Mel
02-01-2014, 06:45 PM
Taj Mahal rocks!

Just the facts
02-01-2014, 07:14 PM
Black History Month? Do the students at the University Minnesota know about this?

http://www.okctalk.com/current-events-open-topic/36582-u%92-students-want-crime-alerts-avoid-using-racial-descriptions.html

RadicalModerate
02-01-2014, 08:04 PM
Black History Month? Do the students at the University Minnesota know about this?

http://www.okctalk.com/current-events-open-topic/36582-u%92-students-want-crime-alerts-avoid-using-racial-descriptions.html

Apparently the "students" at the U of M (over there next to Dinkytown) never got that Martin Luther King concept of judging by character rather than color. But it's cold up there and their brains work slower than in the tropics. (I'm referring to the "white" supporters of that sort of non-sense).

Perhaps if the over-sensitive, bleeding-hearts were given twenty acres and a mule ten miles out in Lake Superior they might have time to rethink their position on this issue?

Did I forget a raft and a data-player loaded with the collected speeches of Dr. King and Malcolm X plus a copy of "Soul on Ice" (e.cleaver)?
(sorry: without that, it would have been cruel and unusual. or close to it.)

RadicalModerate
02-01-2014, 08:13 PM
Taj Mahal rocks!

Yes. He does.
(although . . . I'm not sure "rocks" expresses his gift most accurately . . . "folks", mebbe?)

Prunepicker
02-03-2014, 12:23 AM
I've been performing on some Charlie Christian and Ralph Ellison gigs this
month. BLAC has been the supporter. Thanks to Anita Arnold, a very
lovely lady.