View Full Version : Anyone else doing home automation and/or self-monitored alarm?

BBatesokc
01-29-2014, 11:47 AM
I'm constantly looking for and changing up the security at our home - sort of a hobby and necessity.

Recently I purchased a z-wave based wireless home automation system and self-monitored alarm by Lowes, called Iris.

So far I REALLY like it. Very easy to install and troubleshoot and it seems to do so much.

Iris Home Monitoring System: Flexible, Affordable Options (http://www.lowes.com/cd_What+Is+Iris_695688710_)

I started with the $299 kit and have added entry locks, cell backup and additional motion and window/door sensors.

We still have and use the traditional alarm that came with the house - but I like this so much more.

Beyond the alarm features (which are feature packed), the system also does automation like controlling electrical outlets, light switches, dimmers, garage doors, blinds, video cameras, door locks, thermostat, etc.

I get a text (or email) whenever there is an event I want to know about (alarm going off, water leak detected, an entry code is entered into an exterior door, my tool shed is opened, etc.). You also get a 'history' of every event that you can review whenever you want (what doors were opened and closed and when, motion, doors left unlocked, etc.).

We like controlling the thermostat remotely to turn the temp up or down when we are on the way home.

Wife used it the other day to remotely turn off the crock pot when she realized she wouldn't make it home in time to do it herself.

We can even turn on the electric fireplace in the master bedroom to heat the room up when we are in route home and its nice and toasty without having to heat up the rest of the house with the central heat and air.

Is anyone else doing home automation and if so, what system do you use?

I've been reading where some other z-wave products will also work with the Iris system.

In the future I'd like to incorporate or move to an entirely open platform system for total customization.

SoonerDave
01-29-2014, 12:02 PM
I don't know if you're into programming and really getting into making your own stuff, but if you're interested in building new components and really expanding a platform in a custom way, you might seriously look at the Raspberry Pi platform. Barebones computer with a Linux kernel, USB interface, and you can basically program it to talk to just about whatever other devices you want. Great tool (or at least opportunity) for integrating into a system like you describe. Think you can get the Pi for like $40.

blangtang
01-29-2014, 03:20 PM
Not sure where they sell this stuff

Products | Control4 (http://www.control4.com/products)

GaryOKC6
01-29-2014, 06:10 PM
I have thought about going with more automation. I have Eales Electronics coming this week to look at updating my system.

RadicalModerate
01-29-2014, 06:30 PM
Wouldn't one "worry" that if Hackers can hack Target, automated home security systems might provide an unintended open door of entry for the less than honest?

Or . . . What if your automated Home Security System, on account of a transient anomaly, decided that it was H.A.L. from 2001?

("Open the front door, H.A.L." I'm sorry, Brian, I can't do that.)

(Nah . . . That's crazy talk . . . =)

Servicetech571
01-29-2014, 06:49 PM
The $10/mo monthly free with no contract certainly beats the $50/mo 3yr contract most security companies want you to sign !!

onthestrip
01-29-2014, 07:08 PM
How do the turning on and off of the plugs work? Do you have to have some kind of adapter in between the wall outlet and the crockpot plug?

This thing looks pretty cool. This sounds like a Nest thermostat, but much, much more.

GaryOKC6
01-29-2014, 07:18 PM
Eales is a locally owned company that offers 10.00 per month monitoring.

Mel
01-29-2014, 07:30 PM
I'm incapable of trusting machines that much. But I am pretty good at perimeter security. Just my every night routine might be borderline O.C.D.

BBatesokc
01-29-2014, 08:02 PM
How do the turning on and off of the plugs work? Do you have to have some kind of adapter in between the wall outlet and the crockpot plug?

This thing looks pretty cool. This sounds like a Nest thermostat, but much, much more.

Two different ways. You can either install a smart outlet (replaces your current outlet) or use an adapter on an existing outlet. We do both depending on the location.

Servicetech571
01-30-2014, 05:06 AM
Two different ways. You can either install a smart outlet (replaces your current outlet) or use an adapter on an existing outlet. We do both depending on the location.

Is the purpose more about saving energy or convience?

BBatesokc
01-30-2014, 08:43 AM
Is the purpose more about saving energy or convience?

A bit of both - but I'd lean more heavy towards convenience. Also a big safety plus.

Naturally being able to turn off a forgotten crock pot is convenient and also safe. I also use it to turn on/off the electric fireplace in the master bedroom. This would service as convenient, a cost savings and safety feature.

The Smart Outlets also tells you how much electricity is being pulled (about 940w for the fireplace) and will give you the cost to run the appliance over any given time and a history.

Additionally, as I pull down the driveway I turn off the alarm remotely - this initiates a script that automatically unlocks the front door and makes sure the front porch light is on (if its dark out) and turns on the lights in the entry, kitchen and bedroom. That would all fall under convenience and safety.

We just plugged some space heaters into the smart outlets too. I want to monitor their electricity usage and be able to turn them off/on remotely.

I like that the plugs can remind you (via text or email) that an appliance has been on for a long time (you set the time).

The smart light switches also let you set up a daily routine of when say the exterior lights should automatically come on an go off.

You can set the interior light switches to 'random' so it appears you're home when you go on vacation.

tomokc
01-30-2014, 09:08 AM
Hey Brian - I'm interested in installing two dozen wireless surveillance cameras at a commercial location, recording feeds to a DVR (or similar), and viewable on an iOS device. It will cover a narrow area about 600 feet long. Although I have dedicated electrical power to the camera locations, I'd like the data to be transmitted wirelessly, and suspect that repeaters/amplifiers will be required.

BBatesokc
01-30-2014, 09:25 AM
Hey Brian - I'm interested in installing two dozen wireless surveillance cameras at a commercial location, recording feeds to a DVR (or similar), and viewable on an iOS device. It will cover a narrow area about 600 feet long. Although I have dedicated electrical power to the camera locations, I'd like the data to be transmitted wirelessly, and suspect that repeaters/amplifiers will be required.

I work with wireless some. The problem is that with the wireless convenience comes with all the inconveniences also (faulty signal, lag, interference, etc.).

Also, since a wired power source is required, I find it just as easy to go ahead and run a video cable also.

I have a 16-camera system at my home (hardwired - looks like these (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16881126227)) and I also use this outdoor camera (http://www.lowes.com/pd_474322-1353-OC821_0__?productId=4756879#BVRRWidgetID) with my Iris system and this indoor camera (http://www.lowes.com/pd_396427-1353-RC8221_0__?productId=3724288). And, I utilize Drop Cams (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/dropcam-pro-high-definition-wi-fi-video-monitoring-camera/1997267.p?id=1219068207725&skuId=1997267&ref=06&loc=01&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=1997267&extensionType=%7Badtype%7D:%7Bnetwork%7D&s_kwcid=PTC!pla!%7Bkeyword%7D!%7Bmatchtype%7D!%7Ba dwords_producttargetid%7D!%7Bnetwork%7D!%7Bifmobil e:M%7D!%7Bcreative%7D&kpid=1997267&k_clickid=2e2dbfa0-b96a-da89-2a19-0000779744a0&gclid=CKf87aGnprwCFWJlMgodiiwAhg). But those I mostly rent out to PI clients.

The wireless Iris cameras are okay, but they still have issues. I mostly use them when we are watching my mom's dogs for an extended period of time. Also lets her see the video without accessing the main 16-camera system. The Drop Cam is nice and can be viewed easily via a smart phone. I've used them remotely on PI jobs and along South Robinson with a portable wifi device with good success.

I'm adding these this spring (http://www.costco.com/Lorex-High-Resolution-700TVL-Add-on-PTZ-(10x)-Camera.product.100020369.html) to replace a couple of my domed Lorex cameras on either end of the exterior of my house and to cover the two driveways. You can pan/tilt and zoom from any smart phone.

SoonerDave
01-30-2014, 10:03 AM
Just a general piece of advice, I generally advise caution about deploying wireless devices for just the reasons you mentioned, Brian. Yeah, wireless is incredibly convenient, but if it wants to be flaky, man it can be a pain. Not saying "don't do it," of course, but folks need to understand the risks better.

Knew someone involved in the layout of a remodeled facility, but not very tech-savvy, and made *no* provision for hard connections to the site's existing network, thinking a few AP's would do it. The tech folks found out, tried to advise a purely wireless solution wasn't the best idea...no one heard until the place was nearly finished. First few uses of the facility's wireless-only infrastructure were....less than ideal. Hardwired runs were added the next week.

Just about knowing and managing risks...

Brian, is this Iris solution from Lowe's open, or are you restricted to Iris-only devices?

tomokc
01-30-2014, 10:06 AM
I'm interested in wireless because we're covering several buildings. Using existing conduit isn't possible, and overhead lines are vulnerable to vehicles and mischief.

HangryHippo
01-30-2014, 10:13 AM
nm

BBatesokc
01-30-2014, 01:39 PM
...Brian, is this Iris solution from Lowe's open, or are you restricted to Iris-only devices?

Iris is not open source but I hear some z-wave devices will work with it - YMMV.