View Full Version : 7-11

rezman
01-28-2014, 09:14 AM
I know there is a thread pertaining to 7-11 stores, and that is probably where this posting should go, but I couldn't find it where it is. Maybe I overlooked it.

I noticed yesterday morning that the 7-11 on Memorial just east of Western was closed yesterday morning. Numerous vehicles backed up to the front and the sign was off. This morning when I drove by, it was all boarded up. I thought this was usually a busy store.

sgt. pepper
01-28-2014, 09:25 AM
Maybe they will build bigger and better some place else close?

OKCisOK4me
01-28-2014, 09:46 AM
Interesting...

I just got off the phone with a representative of 7 Eleven and he said that they closed the store down because it was one of their lower performing stores revenue wise. He said they closed a store down like that in Norman in the mid 2000s and recently one on 10th Street. He mentioned that they were very interested in the old Phillips gas station on the NE corner of Western & Memorial but the owner of the land has some kind of clause in his contract or something that keeps any other gas station from going in there, hence why the place usually has flowers out during the summer time.

Bill Robertson
01-28-2014, 09:53 AM
I know it always was busy. I haven't been that way much lately. I wonder what the new mega OnCue did to it's business.

OKCisOK4me
01-28-2014, 09:57 AM
I know it always was busy. I haven't been that way much lately. I wonder what the new mega OnCue did to it's business.

Of course, the 7 Eleven guy told me that it wasn't because of OnCue....as this 7 Eleven was a poor performer even well before OnCue was a whisper. I also asked him if 7 Eleven was going to revamp their brand and image but said he couldn't quote any kind of information like that and I'd have to talk to the Pres of 7 Eleven.

rezman
01-28-2014, 11:31 AM

It was always busy during mid day and afternoon. I guess not good enough for them though.

kevinpate
01-28-2014, 06:04 PM
I guess the one in Norman that closed was the one on North Berry, thought I thought it went away earlier than that.

tsou89
01-28-2014, 07:53 PM
I have no idea how busy that store was compared to other 7-11's. But I do know that store was small, dirty and ran down. I assume OnCue helped them decide to close that store whether they'll admit it or not.

I hope OnCue continues to expand and force 7-11 to upgrade or close.

MWCGuy
01-29-2014, 12:41 AM
It's not like they will miss that location. North of Memorial is dotted with 7-11 stores. If you really prefer 7-11 you can go North to 164th or East of Broadway Extension or to 122nd and Penn. The store in general is in a bad location. They probably did most of their business with the people in the neighborhood behind them. Now that OnCue is open their traffic probably dropped significantly especially since OnCue has huge selection of everything. The one that surprises me that is still open the is the one just east of NW 59th and May. They don't sell gas and they are not even open overnight. I think the hours are 6a-12a.

rezman
01-29-2014, 04:33 AM
It's not like they will miss that location. North of Memorial is dotted with 7-11 stores. If you really prefer 7-11 you can go North to 164th or East of Broadway Extension or to 122nd and Penn. The store in general is in a bad location. They probably did most of their business with the people in the neighborhood behind them. Now that OnCue is open their traffic probably dropped significantly especially since OnCue has huge selection of everything. The one that surprises me that is still open the is the one just east of NW 59th and May. They don't sell gas and they are not even open overnight. I think the hours are 6a-12a.

And don't forget Santa Fe & 33rd. Your right about the one at 59th & May. Tucked back in behind that strip center. It's been there for years.

Video Expert
01-29-2014, 07:52 AM
I guess the one in Norman that closed was the one on North Berry, thought I thought it went away earlier than that.

I agree. I also thought the 7-11 at Lindsey and 24th Ave. SE (now a "Mr. C's") closed in the mid to late 90s as well.

OKCisOK4me
01-29-2014, 03:15 PM
I have no idea how busy that store was compared to other 7-11's. But I do know that store was small, dirty and ran down. I assume OnCue helped them decide to close that store whether they'll admit it or not.

I hope OnCue continues to expand and force 7-11 to upgrade or close.

Much agreed, every time I walk into a 7 Eleven it takes me back to the 1990s...

I'm certain I've bought beer at 1:59AM at the 59th & May store, but I haven't lived over there for 2 1/2 years so they may have changed their hours. There's also another 7-Eleven store like this just west of May on NW 122nd.

ljbab728
01-29-2014, 09:36 PM

They have a no surcharge ATM, which works for me no matter what decade it is.

JustinXmusic
01-29-2014, 11:29 PM
Of course, the 7 Eleven guy told me that it wasn't because of OnCue....as this 7 Eleven was a poor performer even well before OnCue was a whisper. I also asked him if 7 Eleven was going to revamp their brand and image but said he couldn't quote any kind of information like that and I'd have to talk to the Pres of 7 Eleven.

One of the employees told my roommate that it was because of OnCue. Mainly because of the vast amount of amenities that OnCue carries. I'm gonna miss that 7-11. I live in the neighborhood just behind it, and it's always been nice going to pick something up without having to venture out on Memorial.

I can say, as silly as this may sound, that I was the last person to buy an Icy drink there. :tongue:

MWCGuy
01-30-2014, 12:58 AM

OnCue's does not charge either if your bank uses the Transfund ATM network.

MWCGuy
01-30-2014, 01:02 AM

I'm certain I've bought beer at 1:59AM at the 59th & May store, but I haven't lived over there for 2 1/2 years so they may have changed their hours. There's also another 7-Eleven store like this just west of May on NW 122nd.

The only reason I thought of it because they were on the NW 59th store was on the news not to long ago because somebody broke in overnight. You can see the sign in the video "Open 6am-11pm"

http://www.news9.com/category/116601/video-page?clipId=8740271&autostart=true

OKCisOK4me
01-30-2014, 01:24 PM

I know, I've used it time and time and timeless again ;-)

ljbab728
01-30-2014, 10:02 PM
OnCue's does not charge either if your bank uses the Transfund ATM network.

If I need an ATM I'm not going to drive further to an OnCue just because the store might look a little nicer.

MWCGuy
01-30-2014, 11:49 PM
If I need an ATM I'm not going to drive further to an OnCue just because the store might look a little nicer.

I agree with you there. I don't traveling any further than I have to these days. Especially with up and down price of gas these days. I was just noting that OnCue's are free as well to most card users. I do business with both 7-11 and OnCue here in Midwest City. It all depends on where I'm at what I want and how much time I have. The price of gasoline also plays a roll in it. OnCue and 7-11 have been in a gas war since the day OnCue opened. I think it's funny to watch it. I saw the price at 7-11 go down two cents (the new 7-11 stores have the electric scrolling number signs) when I was driving by on 15th. When I made it OnCue on Air Depot, their LED sign price went down two cents lower than 7-11. So it's a win-win for the customer when the two are close to one another especially if you drive a flex fuel vehicle.

Dubya61
01-31-2014, 09:26 AM
None of my banks use a TransFund ATM machine, so the OnCue availability offers me nothing. I guess I'm not in your "most" category.

brownb01
02-12-2014, 09:04 PM
7-11 and circle k 's are both completely disgusting stores. I hope more on-cues and maybe someday QT's drive all the 7-11's and circle k's to either do some serious upgrades or close. And I would and do drive miles out of the way to avoid a 7-11 for a clean On-Cue!!

Garin
02-17-2014, 10:55 AM
7-11 and circle k 's are both completely disgusting stores. I hope more on-cues and maybe someday QT's drive all the 7-11's and circle k's to either do some serious upgrades or close. And I would and do drive miles out of the way to avoid a 7-11 for a clean On-Cue!!

Are you looking for a place to hang out or a place to buy chip & a drink? lol most 7-11 are pretty clean there a few exceptions though the same can be said for QT also, On cue's are new so they are going to be cleaner it just makes sense, but if you compare their store at sw 59 & western to the new memorial store as far as cleanliness even there is a big gap.

trousers
02-18-2014, 07:30 AM
Yeah...I have to wonder just how much time people are spending in these stores lol. For me, does the ATM work? Use it, in & out. I'm not spending the day in there.

ljbab728
02-19-2014, 10:55 PM
Yeah...I have to wonder just how much time people are spending in these stores lol. For me, does the ATM work? Use it, in & out. I'm not spending the day in there.

I agree. I'm much more concerned about how convenient the store is and what the price of their gas is than I am in inspecting the bathroom. That doesn't mean I don't care about nice looking stores, just that it's not a big factor in where I might stop.

macfoucin
02-20-2014, 07:03 AM
When I travel I look for QT. They always have clean restrooms and a wide variety of fountain drinks, coffees, etc. I avoid 7-11 and other sub par stores due to the inconsistencies of these brands. I'm sure some are great but a vast majority of them are just nasty, coffee is old, etc. I've not been to a QT or OnCue that disappointed.

ljbab728
02-20-2014, 10:43 PM
When I travel I look for QT. They always have clean restrooms and a wide variety of fountain drinks, coffees, etc. I avoid 7-11 and other sub par stores due to the inconsistencies of these brands. I'm sure some are great but a vast majority of them are just nasty, coffee is old, etc. I've not been to a QT or OnCue that disappointed.

I guess that just shows how different people are then. I never stop at a convenience store for a restroom or to buy a fountain drink, coffee, etc. so it doesn't affect me in the least.

brownb01
02-23-2014, 10:24 AM
Are you looking for a place to hang out or a place to buy chip & a drink? lol most 7-11 are pretty clean there a few exceptions though the same can be said for QT also, On cue's are new so they are going to be cleaner it just makes sense, but if you compare their store at sw 59 & western to the new memorial store as far as cleanliness even there is a big gap.

You're kidding...right? There is no comparison. Circle K's and 7-11's it's almost impossible to walk down an isle from all the crap stacked in the isles and windows. Fact is they are a store from the 80's and they are no longer successful format. Hence...why they continue to close. Hasn't 7-11 closed something like 14 stores?

Plutonic Panda
02-23-2014, 01:14 PM
You're kidding...right? There is no comparison. Circle K's and 7-11's it's almost impossible to walk down an isle from all the crap stacked in the isles and windows. Fact is they are a store from the 80's and they are no longer successful format. Hence...why they continue to close. Hasn't 7-11 closed something like 14 stores?Which 7-11's are you going to? I have never had an issue walking down the isles. They are cluttered and ugly, but there is no issue with being able to walk.

kevinpate
02-23-2014, 01:22 PM
Which 7-11's are you going to? I have never had an issue walking down the isles. They are cluttered and ugly, but there is no issue with being able to walk.

Ditto. Some could use a better mopping, but a lot of 7/11 comments here are contrary to most of my experiences.

Plutonic Panda
02-23-2014, 03:27 PM
Yeah..... I've never really had any major issue with them. I wouldn't mind if they stepped up their game, but they're not horrible

MWCGuy
06-03-2014, 12:47 AM
I think 7-11 maybe closing their lower performing stores. The store at SE 15th and Hampton Ave (Between Bryant and Sunnylane) closed. This is an older store and it did not sell gasoline.