View Full Version : The price of a stamp.

Garin
01-27-2014, 07:00 PM
CNNMoney.com ✔ @CNNMoney
Follow
Now it costs more to mail a letter. The price of a stamp went up 3 cents to 49 cents today. Price of stamps goes up this weekend - Jan. 24, 2014 (http://cnnmon.ie/1hr0g2y) by @jenliberto
6:10 PM - 26 Jan 2014
Price of stamps goes up this weekend
Last month, a panel overseeing the U.S. Postal Service approved a three-cent hike from the current price of 46 cents. But only for two years.

CNNMoney.com @CNNMoney
203 RETWEETS 60 FAVORITES ReplyRetweetFavorite

So how much is too much for a stamp?

Chadanth
01-27-2014, 07:27 PM
CNNMoney.com ✔ @CNNMoney
Follow
Now it costs more to mail a letter. The price of a stamp went up 3 cents to 49 cents today. Price of stamps goes up this weekend - Jan. 24, 2014 (http://cnnmon.ie/1hr0g2y) by @jenliberto
6:10 PM - 26 Jan 2014
Price of stamps goes up this weekend
Last month, a panel overseeing the U.S. Postal Service approved a three-cent hike from the current price of 46 cents. But only for two years.

CNNMoney.com @CNNMoney
203 RETWEETS 60 FAVORITES ReplyRetweetFavorite

Try mailing something cross-country at FedEx for $.49. It's time to privatize the postal service or let them run themselves. Congress meddling in it is ruining it. Oddly enough, for all the bad press, they're one of a small number of functions of government specifically established in the constitution.

boscorama
01-27-2014, 08:33 PM
I have enough stamps to last the rest of my life. I hate to see the Post Office go down, but it's happening.

Chadanth
01-27-2014, 08:40 PM
I have enough stamps to last the rest of my life. I hate to see the Post Office go down, but it's happening.

Only because of poor management from congress. They have infrastructure and a good business model. Even fedex contracts them to make deliveries. They just don't have the ability to make actual business decisions for themselves.

RadicalModerate
01-27-2014, 09:06 PM
Only because of poor management from congress. They have infrastructure and a good business model. Even fedex contracts them to make deliveries. They just don't have the ability to make actual business decisions for themselves.

That sounds like "Less Government is Better Government" . . .
Which flies in the face of Modern "Liberal" Paradigmism.
Well . . . Doesn't it?

(or did I misinterpret the concept expressed?)

gjl
01-27-2014, 09:11 PM

Not .49. How much have fuel prices gone up? It takes fuel to deliver that letter.

RadicalModerate
01-27-2014, 10:03 PM
Maybe President Obama will address this concern in his upcoming State of the Onion Address and announce that henceforth all mail will be free of direct cost to the mailer. (Miley Cyrus twerking in the background would probably seal the deal or at least minimaximize the objections.)

boscorama
01-28-2014, 08:23 PM
I support USPS by sending those postage paid envelopes back to credit companies, with something (anything) inside.

BBatesokc
01-29-2014, 06:38 AM
I support USPS by sending those postage paid envelopes back to credit companies, with something (anything) inside.

That sounds like a fun business. We should sell cement slices the size of a #10 envelope that are press stamped "No Thank You!" so people can return their junk mail to sender!

kevinpate
01-29-2014, 06:46 AM
That sounds like a fun business. We should sell cement slices the size of a #10 envelope that are press stamped "No Thank You!" so people can return their junk mail to sender!

Thin paint stirrers, stamped: Thought about your offer. Thought about pudding. Mmmmm, pudding.

trousers
01-29-2014, 03:26 PM
I buy a book of stamps maybe once a year. I probably give half of those away at work.

boscorama
01-29-2014, 07:31 PM
I've been known to dismantle Avon and various mail order catalogs, carefully folded to stuff the things. Really, anything (within reason and law) will do. Other junk mail is readily available. Scotch tape is useful to secure closure.

MWCGuy
01-30-2014, 01:54 AM
I actually mailed a few envelopes full of junk mail back to Capital One. I noticed a barcodes on the back so I blacked them out just in case it was a tracking ID. They used to send me stuff almost daily and it was getting annoying. I actually thought about going to buy wood shims to stuff in the envelopes. I got the idea from a guy on episode of Book TV on CSPAN. The finally stopped sending me mail when I sent one of their applications back and wrote a big NO! with one of those giant felt tip markers. I then wrote on the signature line STOP SENDING ME THIS TRASH!

boscorama
01-30-2014, 07:52 PM
I don't give a ratzazz about the barcode. What're they gonna do, stop sending me their junk?

zookeeper
01-31-2014, 01:03 AM
I actually mailed a few envelopes full of junk mail back to Capital One. I noticed a barcodes on the back so I blacked them out just in case it was a tracking ID. They used to send me stuff almost daily and it was getting annoying. I actually thought about going to buy wood shims to stuff in the envelopes. I got the idea from a guy on episode of Book TV on CSPAN. The finally stopped sending me mail when I sent one of their applications back and wrote a big NO! with one of those giant felt tip markers. I then wrote on the signature line STOP SENDING ME THIS TRASH!

Yes! Is that the guy who said to pick up thin pieces of heavy metal, reinforce the self-addressed prepaid envelope, stamp or write "Hand Cancel" on the envelope and shoot it off to the offenders?

Does that really work? Will USPS actually deliver those kinds of things? Great way to support the USPS if so. And put me down as one who marvels that the USPS guarantees universal delivery to any address in America for now forty nine cents. Imagining seeing that .49 price on the overhead pricing menu at the FedEx or UPS stores is laughable. With USPS - put on the stamp, drop it in a familiar blue box in Key West, and it gets to Seattle, WA for all of forty nine cents. Mind boggling - and to think some people complain!

Prunepicker
02-03-2014, 01:09 AM
... So how much is too much for a stamp?
I have no idea.

UnclePete
02-03-2014, 04:46 AM
I think the price of stamps will continue to go up until it reaches a point that a private carrier (UPS, FedEx, etc) will take it over. It is all about privatizing the post office. And then the question becomes whether to subscribe to UPS or to FedEx, etc and will they be interchangeable.