View Full Version : Stories in Red State America

floater
08-02-2005, 12:36 AM
San Franscisco journalist Rose Aguilar has conducted some fascinating interviews of Oklahomans in her series of blog articles featuring red state residents. Thanks to okiefunk and dustbury for highlighting this series. It's a de Tocquevillian journey that is refreshing in how it highlights people in the south. I had heard of Clara Luper, but wasn't familiar with her entire story.

http://storiesinamerica.blogspot.com/

Karried
08-02-2005, 09:19 AM
That's really interesting - she did have some positive things to say about OKC. I'll have to read more about it later...

venture
08-02-2005, 10:32 AM
I think one of the comments made on the site - that Oklahomans are sheltered from any other view but a "red" one by local media - is pretty accurate. There has been numerous times I've waiting for those on KWTV to just pull out the Bible and start reading it. Of course that really isn't a shock.

soonerguru
08-02-2005, 08:04 PM
That's a great read. Thanks for the link!

Most people on the coasts assume everyone here is a red-meat eating, white, straight, conservative protestant. Our diversity as a city is one of the things we can all be proud about. The more of it we have, the bigger and more interesting our city will become.

Nice read. The writer was clearly open-minded about interviewing her subjects and refused to condescend.