View Full Version : Cruise Ship Sickness

GoOKC1991
01-27-2014, 11:25 AM
Would you still take a cruise these days?

Cruise ship heads home after illness outbreak (http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/01/27/illness-outbreak-on-cruise-ship/4936777/)

bluedogok
01-27-2014, 11:34 AM
I know that I couldn't right now (haven't yet) because of the bacterial meningitis that I contracted earlier this month and still trying to rebuild my immune system.

Achilleslastand
01-27-2014, 11:50 AM
I know that I couldn't right now (haven't yet) because of the bacterial meningitis that I contracted earlier this month and still trying to rebuild my immune system.

Wow!
If you don't mind me asking how does one contract bacterial meningitis?
Get well......

bluedogok
01-27-2014, 12:04 PM
Wow!
If you don't mind me asking how does one contract bacterial meningitis?
Get well......
I do not know....there was some illness going around the office. I left work early on January 7th (which I don't remember), drove back downtown that evening to pick up my wife (don't remember that either). Later that night my wife called 911 and they took me to Parker Adventist Hospital, I was in ICU from Tuesday night until Sunday the 12th, I don't remember anything until that day. I was moved out of ICU on Monday (13th) into a regular room and to a rehab hospital on Wednesday the 15th, released last Wednesday the 22nd. The doctors said I came close to dying and are surprised how quickly I have come back. I have noticed how much in just a week and a half, my speech is much clearer and I am moving around a lot better. Going to try and go back to work next week. Had the joy of spending my 50th birthday in the hospital....

Teo9969
01-27-2014, 12:37 PM
I do not know....there was some illness going around the office. I left work early on January 7th (which I don't remember), drove back downtown that evening to pick up my wife (don't remember that either). Later that night my wife called 911 and they took me to Parker Adventist Hospital, I was in ICU from Tuesday night until Sunday the 12th, I don't remember anything until that day. I was moved out of ICU on Monday (13th) into a regular room and to a rehab hospital on Wednesday the 15th, released last Wednesday the 22nd. The doctors said I came close to dying and are surprised how quickly I have come back. I have noticed how much in just a week and a half, my speech is much clearer and I am moving around a lot better. Going to try and go back to work next week. Had the joy of spending my 50th birthday in the hospital....

Wow…glad you are okay man!

OKCisOK4me
01-27-2014, 02:14 PM

Cruise ship heads home after illness outbreak (http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/01/27/illness-outbreak-on-cruise-ship/4936777/)

Yes, I would love to take a cruise any day...preferably to Alaska.

Bluedog, hope you get to feelin better!

Jeepnokc
01-27-2014, 02:28 PM

Hope you get well quickly Blue Dog

Jeepnokc
01-27-2014, 02:33 PM

Got one scheduled spring break with the kids. 19% is a high number but considering how many people I see that walk out of bathrooms everywhere without washing hands and walking by the hand sanitizers that are placed all over the ship...I am not surprised it isn't higher. The cruise companies have gotten much better at educating and promoting good hygiene on board.

Easy180
01-27-2014, 05:47 PM
I would still until this happened to my family and then hellz no lol

I'm more concerned with the engine fire, sewage in the halls, onion sandwiches scenario to be honest with you

kelroy55
01-27-2014, 06:26 PM
Hope you get better bluedog

RadicalModerate
01-27-2014, 08:04 PM
BluedogOK:
Let me add my congratulations for surviving such an unexpected--and generally deadly--attack by "the unseen microworld".
Seriously: That is something few encounter and fewer live to tell about.
I, too, sincerely hope that you have a full and complete recovery.

There aren't enough "mensches" in the world,
and you seem to be one of them.

o! fyi: icydak (in case you didn't already know):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mensch

ljbab728
01-27-2014, 09:10 PM
This is not a new situation for this to happen and it's much less likely now than in years past. On board ship, the cruise lines constantly have reminders about sanitation especially in eating areas and restrooms. There just isn't anything they can do when people ignore it. Some ships actually have a machine as you go into the buffet that you can stick your hands in to be cleaned before you eat. Anyone who uses normal precautions should have little worries about becoming ill.

RadicalModerate
01-27-2014, 09:53 PM
This is not a new situation for this to happen and it's much less likely now than in years past. On board ship, the cruise lines constantly have reminders about sanitation especially in eating areas and restrooms. There just isn't anything they can do when people ignore it. Some ships actually have a machine as you go into the buffet that you can stick your hands in to be cleaned before you eat. Anyone who uses normal precautions should have little worries about becoming ill.

I suspect there may an indirect connection with all of the above (^) and the failure of people not to text in traffic.
For example.

Between show-off ship captains running them aground--and tipping them over--off the coast of some Mediterranean Island and people not maintaining proper hygiene below the bridge, I would always choose to fly rather than pay for a cruise nowadays. Perhaps we can begin to refer to this cultural phenomenon as Bieberism?

(one would think that one would be safer at the buffet "on-board cruise ship" than at, say, Western Sizzlin' or one of the troughs offered in Vegas, but one would be mistaken. I guess.)

GoOKC1991
01-27-2014, 11:20 PM
My cousins went on a cruise a couple years ago, and there was an arcade on the ship, they were going to play air hockey, until they saw a child put the puck in his mouth and back on the table. Disgusting.

ljbab728
01-27-2014, 11:53 PM
My cousins went on a cruise a couple years ago, and there was an arcade on the ship, they were going to play air hockey, until they saw a child put the puck in his mouth and back on the table. Disgusting.

Of course that could happen anywhere. It really has nothing to do with being on a cruise. That's why thousands of people get sick every year from visiting public areas like that.

kelroy55
01-28-2014, 06:22 AM
The cruise line announced it's no longer offering buffet's.

ljbab728
01-28-2014, 02:25 PM
I've not heard that. Do you have a link to that story?