View Full Version : Oklahoma ranks among states with the worst schools

kelroy55
01-24-2014, 07:11 AM
For years, American students have consistently ranked poorly compared to most developed nations. And according to a recently released study, the U.S. education system remains mediocre, receiving a C− grade, for the third year in a row, according to Yahoo Homes.

The K-12 Achievement Index, one indicator in Education Week’s recently released “Quality Counts” report, measures key education outcomes and provides ranks and grades for each state based on their commitment to improve educational policies and practices. 24/7 Wall St. reviewed the states with the best and worst scores for K-12 achievement.

Oklahoma is listed at No. 10 with a D in student achievement, driven in part by poor proficiency scores in reading and math, especially among eighth graders, according to Yahoo Homes.

States With the Best (and Worst) Schools - 24/7 Wall St. (http://247wallst.com/special-report/2014/01/14/states-with-the-best-and-worst-schools-2/)

jerrywall
01-24-2014, 07:39 AM
A couple of thoughts.

1) It's interesting to see the variety of spending per pupil, in both the top 10 and bottom 10. There are states in the top 10 with similar spending to Oklahoma's per student, and schools in the bottom 10 ranked lower than Oklahoma with much higher per pupil.
2) I wonder how much of our ranking is affected by our rural school districts?

kelroy55
01-24-2014, 07:46 AM
A couple of thoughts.

1) It's interesting to see the variety of spending per pupil, in both the top 10 and bottom 10. There are states in the top 10 with similar spending to Oklahoma's per student, and schools in the bottom 10 ranked lower than Oklahoma with much higher per pupil.
2) I wonder how much of our ranking is affected by our rural school districts?

Interesting question but I think 7 out of the top 10 have several rural school districts too. If I'm not mistaken every state has it's own standards as well and that might have an effect on the numbers. I think we need national standards and the money spent wisely and evenly. I think it's pretty obvious schools in poor areas are not equal to schools in well to do areas.

Jersey Boss
01-24-2014, 06:11 PM
And then there is this. Also from the WSJ. Numero uno in slashing funding since 08. What makes it worse is one of the more hare brained ideas put forth recently to provide state tax vouchers for private schools. This proposal will be heard in 2014.

"1. Oklahoma
> Pct. chg. per pupil spending (FY’08-FY’14): -23%
> FY ‘14 per-pupil spending: $2,737 (4th least)
> Decline in per-pupil spending (FY’08-FY’14): $810 (7th biggest decline)
> Adults with bachelor’s degree: 23.8% (9th least)

Spending per student in Oklahoma has dropped by 23% since 2008, the largest nationwide cut since the recession. Residents and education advocates are concerned the decline in state funding — on top of federal funding cuts — means larger classes and lower salaries across the board, lowering the quality of education. Already, the Oklahoma school system is struggling to meet educational standards, as suggested by low test scores. Oklahoma fourth and eighth graders performed worse on the NAEP than those in most other states in both math and reading in 2011. Oklahoma is now one of only five states spending less than $3,000 per pupil."

Why would any tech business or business that relies on a skilled/educated workforce consider this locale? Why do we not demand better of the legislature and governor when it comes to our future? Quit worrying about gay marriage and whether or not someone is ingesting something that those in power do not like.

PennyQuilts
01-24-2014, 06:23 PM
We seem to holding up pretty well in terms of businesses, actually. Many businesses don't need another liberal arts major - they need skilled labor. I personally think skilled labor is going to be the best way for people to get into the middle class/stay in the middle class in the next generation. I think all the states need to get behind that - we can't keep burdening kids with heavy student debt when the jobs have gone.

The argument that a state needed an educated workforce (meaning college educated) is what I have heard all my life and I believe it has been the gospel truth until the last few years. These days, if someone isn't getting a degree in the hard sciences or isn't prepared to get an advanced degree, I think they are pretty much selling themselves into debt. Skilled labor is the way to go for many.

MWCGuy
01-24-2014, 11:27 PM
Across the board in America we need to re-tool our school system to where core subjects (Math, Science, Social Studies and English Comp) are knocked out before a student reaches their junior year of high school. At the junior year there should be a fork in the road. One that leads students to reasonable paying jobs after graduation, the other college preparatory. As it is we have too many people that sit in dead end jobs their first 5 years after high school. We need to put a stop to that. Every high school graduate should have there next destination the day they graduate.