View Full Version : Do you have a favorite pawn shop?

BBatesokc
01-23-2014, 03:30 PM
Don't know how many people here utilize pawn shops for purchases, but I've been a fan of them for many years.

If you're careful you can get some really good deals. Problem is, many of the stores I go into are not priced aggressively enough to make it worth the gamble buying their merchandise.

I primarily shop them for tools. I don't need brand new or top of the line. Something good and broke in works just fine for me. I also buy DVD's and PS3 games via the pawn shop and save a lot of $$$.

I was in NewCastle today for work and stopped into Pawn Sharks on Main St.

Gotta say I got some of the best deals I've found in awhile.

Found a brand new (never opened) IRIS wireless security system (Lowe's exclusive) that normally goes for $299 plus tax for $175.

Also bought a brand new (still had tags) Stanley Professional Power Station for $50 (normally $117).

And a like new GoPro 3+ Silver Edition for $150 (normally $250)

Saved $346 (including taxes I would have paid retail).

Locally I like a shop over on SE 59 and S. Western and another at SE 44 and Sunnylane. Selection is decent and they will negotiate on price.

Anyone else here have any Pawn Shops they recommend for merchandise in general or for specialty items?

Roger S
01-23-2014, 03:46 PM
Nope and it's kind of odd because as much as I enjoy hitting garage sales you would think I would spend some time in pawn shops as well.

kevinpate
01-23-2014, 03:52 PM
Brian, don't know if you are down Norman way much, but American Pawn on SE 12th, just south of where it intersects with E Alameda is not a bad place. I don't shop there often, but have a time or four. A friend makes regular stops in there, more so than any other such shop in town (and we seem to have a passle of them in Norman.)

BBatesokc
01-23-2014, 05:51 PM
Nope and it's kind of odd because as much as I enjoy hitting garage sales you would think I would spend some time in pawn shops as well.

We used to do garage sales to look for hidden treasures and pass the time, but it seems people have gotten right darn overly proud of their junk. I found its easier to look on Craigslist (BTW, just bought a brand new in the box Power Wheels Dune Buggy for my little cousins when they come to visit for 50% off) or in pawn shops.

We still hit garage sales if they are in the neighborhood.

We actually went to Mary's Swap Meet last weekend - mainly for the 'experience.'

BBatesokc
01-23-2014, 05:52 PM
Brian, don't know if you are down Norman way much, but American Pawn on SE 12th, just south of where it intersects with E Alameda is not a bad place. I don't shop there often, but have a time or four. A friend makes regular stops in there, more so than any other such shop in town (and we seem to have a passle of them in Norman.)

Don't know why, but work rarely takes me to Norman. I will note the address though on my phone for a future visit.

BlackmoreRulz
01-23-2014, 06:03 PM
The one across the street from NW Classen on May used to be good though it has been years since I have been in there. Really liked the guy that ran the place, at least he would bargain with you. Todays corporate run pawn shops suck, used to be you could haggle down the price on stuff to about half of sticker but these guys rarely bump off of listed price.

The one just north of 10th st on MacArthur used to be really good for tools.

Garin
01-23-2014, 07:29 PM
Kings pawn 4225 e Reno

Zuplar
01-24-2014, 11:29 AM
Not sure about all merch, but I use Sooner State Pawn on SW 59th. They have a great gun selection and the best prices in town.

BBatesokc
01-24-2014, 02:43 PM
Not sure about all merch, but I use Sooner State Pawn on SW 59th. They have a great gun selection and the best prices in town.

I've been meaning to go by there. I hear good things about their firearms selection. Was looking for another assault shotgun and was told they had some good prices.

MustangGT
01-24-2014, 04:48 PM
Don't generally use them. You can find some great deals but mostly it is regurgitated crap.

mkjeeves
01-24-2014, 05:12 PM
I bought some wrenches at one recently to replace a couple missing out of a set, but about the only time I go in one is after a theft event looking for my stolen goods. On two different occasions we've found some (myself looking after one event and employee looking after another when they lost some personal items along with company items.) One resulted in a prosecution of the person who broke into a vehicle and cleaned it out. They other one was an employee theft, discovered after we fired the person. The pawn shop had a copy of the former employee's drivers license on file and we had a receipt for the goods. Cops confiscated the item from the pawn shop, then the DA refused to file charges because of jurisdiction and other issues.

I buy and sell on EBAY too and you never know when that's the case with used goods. Too often probably.

bradh
01-24-2014, 05:34 PM
I like the ones that don't really know the price of the things they're selling. Bought a nice Cleveland wedge that looked like it had been used for MAYBE one summer for $15. Great club. This was from the shop on NW Expressway and MacArthur next to Joe's.

Garin
01-24-2014, 08:05 PM
I've been meaning to go by there. I hear good things about their firearms selection. Was looking for another assault shotgun and was told they had some good prices.

Kings pawn has one of the best gun selections out there for a pawn shop..... Also Gene Sears in El Reno not a pawn shop but has the best prices on new fire mans in the state.

Servicetech571
01-25-2014, 05:43 AM
Most are overpriced based on "sticker price" but will negotiate. Bought a 24" barrel fan for $40 at the shop @ Penn/Hefner. They normally are $100+ in stores. PS2 games can be bought for under $5 at most pawn shops.

Zuplar
01-25-2014, 06:43 AM

If they don't have something they can probably get something. The prices there have been some of the cheapest around. They are hard to beat.

GaryOKC6
01-25-2014, 06:49 AM
I like D&P on NW 27th & May (across from NW Classen High School) I don't pawn but like to look around. I have bought several tool at a good price. He is also a musician and has some quality guitars. Bought a Martin D28 there for about half of retail.