View Full Version : Shooting on OU Campus

kbsooner
01-22-2014, 10:42 AM
Gould Hall, all over Twitter.

kbsooner
01-22-2014, 10:44 AM
James Fraschilla ‏@jamesfraschilla 20m
Gunman in the building I have class in... just sprinted out. Cops everywhere.

kbsooner
01-22-2014, 10:50 AM
Norman, OU Police, and OHP Troop A Live Audio Feed (http://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/10412/web)

Norman police scanner...

catch22
01-22-2014, 10:55 AM
Ugh...

LocoAko
01-22-2014, 11:00 AM
Locked down here at the National Weather Center. NOAA has called reporting shots fired and "possible explosives" but I'm not sure where else they're hearing that.

Scary day here... hoping everything turns out well....

LocoAko
01-22-2014, 11:06 AM
The Norman Transcript is now reporting it may have been a false alarm, but the Oklahoman continues to report "multiple sources". Hm...

Snowman
01-22-2014, 11:13 AM
In some of the photos it looked like there is construction going on around the building, so bangs/explosion could be related to that.

Spartan
01-22-2014, 11:17 AM
I'm hearing an equipment failure as well. What is under construction around there, the education school?

kelroy55
01-22-2014, 11:20 AM
Hope it's a false alarm.

Just the facts
01-22-2014, 11:33 AM
Alec Polk, an Edmond freshman, said he heard three gunshots and people ran into nearby buildings.

11:50 a.m. Dozens of emergency vehicles and personnel are on the scene. Multiple sources have reported hearing shots fired.

The problem is most people don't even know what a gun shot sounds like.

venture
01-22-2014, 11:37 AM

This more than likely. From the sounds of it, it was construction equipment backfiring. I can understand how some might get the two mixed up, but they really don't sound the same - depending on the weapon.

zookeeper
01-22-2014, 11:39 AM

Which would be a surprise to many on the east coast who imagines everyone with open carry holsters out here.

kelroy55
01-22-2014, 11:46 AM
(CNN) -- The University of Oklahoma in Norman briefly shut down Wednesday after a report of a possible shooting.

No evidence has been found of any shots being fired, and no injuries are reported, school spokeswoman Catherine Bishop said.

LocoAko
01-22-2014, 11:55 AM
President Boren issuing a statement at 1PM.

Oklahoma's Own - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports | (http://www.news9.com/)

ou48A
01-22-2014, 12:45 PM
This is true.
A typical university these days is not going to have very many people on campus who hunt or other wise shoot guns.

I have heard thousands of gun shots at my NW Norman home from bird hunters which seriously disturbers the heck out of some folks who usually come from a urban environment.

FighttheGoodFight
01-22-2014, 12:50 PM
I'm hearing an equipment failure as well. What is under construction around there, the education school?

They are filling in the South Oval so it will be a walking path instead of a street.

RadicalModerate
01-22-2014, 05:40 PM
This Just In (c/o "breaking non-news on k4 c/o2 an ogle):

Young girl on OU Campus confused and concerned that she didn't get texted about pending non-disaster/false alarm.
(parents may be thinking about a lawsuit . . . looking for deepest pockets to right this virtual wrong.)
(suspicious and inquiring minds turn their eyeballs in the direction of the governor of new jersey).
(global-warming causationists girding their loins yet refraining to get up in arms)

bluedogok
01-22-2014, 06:29 PM
It could be a bit of both, powder driven fasteners for securing metal studs which are basically .22 cartridges.

RadicalModerate
01-22-2014, 06:36 PM
It could be a bit of both, powder driven fasteners for securing metal studs which are basically .22 cartridges.

By Jove . . . I think you got it!
(we need to ban them things. they cause confusion and unnecessary panic.)
(yet . . . the upside might be that flaws have been discovered in the building of the hive mind. The un-texted innocent victim of non-texting needs to add Hilti to the To Sue List. =)

(actually, powder-driven fasteners are sometimes used to attach the bottom plate/channel to the slab rather than to attach metal studs thereto. one would use a proper screw gun for that purpose.)

PennyQuilts
01-22-2014, 07:34 PM
Universities are starting to act the way the whole federal government in Washington did post 911. We had our whole building evacuated and guys in haz mat suits show up several times a week for weeks. It was a crazy time. Someone had spilled power in the ladies room and I made the mistake of mentioning it to my supervisor. We both shook our heads because people were getting so freaked out. She had to tell her supervisor and that was one of the many times the whole operation shut down. I felt terrible for even pointing it out.

MWCGuy
01-26-2014, 12:54 AM
I was glad to here it was just a scare and not the real thing. I think people need to starting tuning themselves into the real world and stop being so scared of things. Yes, want to be prepared for the worst but, you should expect the best. I think we have let the entertainment world and the 24 hour news channels turn us into a paranoid society. When something out of the ordinary happens put on your thinking cap and try to identify it. If it is the real thing, take shelter or be prepared to fight back with whatever you can get your hands on. I think these incidents of mass violence would come to a stop if people started fighting back.

KayneMo
01-26-2014, 01:53 AM
I was in class in Gould Hall when this all went down. It was absolutely terrifying.

MWCGuy
01-29-2014, 01:32 AM
A good video from Ready Houston.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VcSwejU2D0