View Full Version : Fires started by trains.

crimsoncrazy
01-16-2014, 04:35 PM
Sounds like the railroad companies need to keep up their right of ways.

rcjunkie
01-16-2014, 05:20 PM
Sounds like the railroad companies need to keep up their right of ways.

Please explain how you "keep up" dry vegetation ?

BBatesokc
01-16-2014, 07:04 PM
I haven't read/heard where it was determined it was dry vegetation that caused the fire.

I don't keep up on railroad regulations, but I do know some have gotten in trouble for not using or keeping operational a device called a spark arrestor.

Regardless, common sense says if you limit the height and amount of dry vegetation you lessen the risk of fire.

They have these things called herbicides you know.

Snowman
01-16-2014, 10:48 PM
Please explain how you "keep up" dry vegetation ?

The line near the house I grew up in had no vegetation near the tracks due to having a deep bed of crushed rocks under the track and spreading out almost ten feet on either side of the rails

kelroy55
01-17-2014, 06:28 AM
I haven't read/heard where it was determined it was dry vegetation that caused the fire.

I don't keep up on railroad regulations, but I do know some have gotten in trouble for not using or keeping operational a device called a spark arrestor.

Regardless, common sense says if you limit the height and amount of dry vegetation you lessen the risk of fire.

They have these things called herbicides you know.

I'm not sure what a herbicide is going to do to dead & dry vegetation.

RadicalModerate
01-17-2014, 06:36 AM
Maybe the idea is to prevent the initial growth of what would become dead and dry vegetation adjacent to the tracks?
(I hate the idea of polluting the environment with herbicides. It's bad for the hobos.)

kelroy55
01-17-2014, 07:03 AM
Maybe the idea is to prevent the initial growth of what would become dead and dry vegetation adjacent to the tracks?
(I hate the idea of polluting the environment with herbicides. It's bad for the hobos.)

That is true... when I worked for the railroad they not only sprayed, in the summers, but had big mowers that cut the dead stuff down.

BBatesokc
01-17-2014, 07:30 AM
I'm not sure what a herbicide is going to do to dead & dry vegetation.

If you prevent it in the first place then you don't have to deal with it when it becomes 'dead & dry vegetation.'

RadicalModerate
01-17-2014, 07:33 AM
That is true... when I worked for the railroad they not only sprayed, in the summers, but had big mowers that cut the dead stuff down.

I trust you are referring here to rogue vegetation rather than hobos.
(it would be a shame to have the next Woody Guthrie cut down in his prime)

"I been workin' on the railroad . . .
all the live long day . . ."
DM30Z87sOpI

MustangGT
01-18-2014, 01:25 PM
Many RR companies used to aggressively spray the right of ways. Until enviroturds threw a fit and sued and idiot judges agreed.

ou48A
01-18-2014, 02:52 PM
Many RR companies used to aggressively spray the right of ways. Until enviroturds threw a fit and sued and idiot judges agreed.
Yep.............. and they often used ground sterilizers along their R of W...

I have applied ground sterilizers in other settings. They are very effective.

I have also been part of a fire crew that put out a fire caused by a train.
We had a 1940's fire truck. The train ignited fires that stretched out for about 20 miles.