View Full Version : Progressives for Mayor Cornett

Pages : [1] 2

Urban Pioneer
01-15-2014, 06:26 PM
Several of us have gotten together over coffee and have agreed that we are "tired" of Ed Shadid claiming the "Progressive mantle". Now I define the word "Progressive" pretty loosely because I know many politically conservative people who are progressive on urban issues and issues of positive progress in our city.

Therefore, we are launching our own initiative of volunteer support for Mayor Mick. We think that he has earned it.

Please join this facebook group here- www.facebook.com/progressivesformayorcornett

We will use this page to help organize volunteer opportunities and make sure that the word gets out about the Mayor, his accomplishments, and how our city is poised to continue to move forward.

soonerguru
01-15-2014, 06:45 PM
Awesome!

Paseofreak
01-15-2014, 07:00 PM
Just curious, does this have Mick's official blessing?

Urban Pioneer
01-15-2014, 07:16 PM
He has directly asked me early to help organize progressives- yes. And I am not the only one.

betts
01-15-2014, 07:17 PM
I've joined. I consider myself a progressive and you all know whom I'm supporting for mayor. I can't answer paseofreak's question though because I have no idea.

boscorama
01-15-2014, 08:38 PM
That's great and I hope Mick wins.

Oh, the irony, launching this liberal campaign the same day as the opponent courts OCPAC.

betts
01-16-2014, 06:08 AM
I think William Crum might have attended that meeting. And perhaps there's video. Should be interesting.

Edgar
01-16-2014, 07:18 AM
being progressives you all will of course immediately begin a petition drive to divert the 100s of millions planned to be spent on a chamber welfare project to improving OKC's deplorable public transport crucial to the least of us. Could start with covered shelter stops, kind of like the ones proposed for the street car. Those are spiffy!

Midtowner
01-16-2014, 07:33 AM
being progressives you all will of course immediately begin a petition drive to divert the 100s of millions planned to be spent on a chamber welfare project to improving OKC's deplorable public transport crucial to the least of us. Could start with covered shelter stops, kind of like the ones proposed for the street car. Those are spiffy!

Wow! What terrific bus stop shelters! I'm going to build a factory in that city!

--said no employer ever.

betts
01-16-2014, 08:25 AM

If you were a regular participant here and had given any indication that you really cared about OKC and not just one candidate, you would know that many of the Mick supporters are also very pro-transit. You will also understand that MAPS doesnt provide for O&M so if we use chamber money to buy buses we wont be able to afford to operate them. Buses are extremely expensive to operate. If you had enough political acumen, you would know that our sitting mayor and the sitting mayors of surrounding communities are working on a regional transit authority which is our only chance of improving our bus system. Ed has mislED all of you about what is happening behind the scenes and you are too uninvolved to have learned yourself.

Yes, we need more bus shelters, but really, most big cities with great transit systems have very few shelters. What they have is frequency so you don't have to wait so long, and GPS so you know when your bus is coming. Please see paragraph one for the solution to the frequency problem.

Edgar
01-16-2014, 08:38 AM
If you were a regular participant here and had given any indication that you really cared about OKC and not just one candidate, you would know that many of the Mick supporters are also very pro-transit. You will also understand that MAPS doesnt provide for O&M so if we use chamber money to buy buses we wont be able to afford to operate them. Buses are extremely expensive to operate. If you had enough political acumen, you would know that our sitting mayor and the sitting mayors of surrounding communities are working on a regional transit authority which is our only chance of improving our bus system. Ed has mislED all of you about what is happening behind the scenes and you are too uninvolved to have learned yourself.

Yes, we need more bus shelters, but really, most big cities with great transit systems have very few shelters. What they have is frequency so you don't have to wait so long, and GPS so you know when your bus is coming. Please see paragraph one for the solution to the frequency problem.

Mick's had 13 years. The only action I remember on transit during his tenure is a threat to discontinue lines right before announcing fare increases and no more gratis transfers. That's the meeting Mick famously walked out of rather than hear the pleas of disabled transit riders. Said he had a plane to catch:biggrin: Quite a record on transit.
You should see the shelters in Memphis. Now that's a big league city.

LakeEffect
01-16-2014, 08:57 AM
Mick's had 13 years. The only action I remember on transit during his tenure is a threat to discontinue lines right before announcing fare increases and no more gratis transfers. That's the meeting Mick famously walked out of rather than hear the pleas of disabled transit riders. Said he had a plane to catch:biggrin: Quite a record on transit.
You should see the shelters in Memphis. Now that's a big league city.

You just trolled yourself right off the cliff with this one.

betts
01-16-2014, 09:01 AM
Yeah, Edgar, you might want to check with ACOG. You're just making yourself sound ignorant and an ALIVFS (Another low information voter for Shadid).

You might look at bus shelters and the lack thereof in London, Chicago and New York. Those are the real big league cities.

lasomeday
01-16-2014, 09:56 AM
Is there an option three? I don't feel comfortable with Mickey or Eddie.

LakeEffect
01-16-2014, 10:00 AM
Is there an option three? I don't feel comfortable with Mickey or Eddie.

Not publicly - the filing period is January 29-31. City of Oklahoma City | News from OKCGOV (http://www.okc.gov/news/2013_12/Filing_for_Mayor_of_Oklahoma_City_is_January_29_31 .html)

kevinpate
01-16-2014, 11:32 AM
Uh, Edgar. Not to poke a pin in your bubble or anything, but you realize I presume, and if not, you should, that your preferred candidate, the one you consider pro transit, has no plan at all to move funds from the cc or any other existing project over to busses, bus shelters etc. His plan is to ask voters to kill the cc as a possibility and to stop the MAPs 3 tax early.

I realize you think you've hitched your cart to a rising star, but in reality, you've hitched it to someone who thought voting was fairly useless, and whose primary plan appears to be rail on the plans of others without putting out anything that passes as a logical coherent plan of his own.

It's possible to pick a worse candidate, but only if one actually files for the office.

catch22
01-16-2014, 11:49 AM
The simple truth of the matter is; Ed Shadid will tell you what you want to hear.

You could say that about any politician, but Ed is in a completely different dimension. He is spouting things that are quite simply not true, about the city, about a vote he didn't participate in, about the Mayor, about everything. He is purposely spouting bad information to people who like what he has to say. They like that he acknowledges their own ignorance by telling them what they want to hear.

These people want to hear that there is a conspiracy by the Chamber of Commerce. He tells them that there is.
They want to hear that the streetcar is at the expense of the bus system. He tells them it is.
They want to hear that MAPS3 was an illegal vote for the evil shadow figures of the city. He tells them they are right in that assumption.
These individuals want to hear that Mick Cornett is a puppet for Larry Nichols. He assures them he is.
They misinformed voters want to hear that the mayor does not care for them. And he tells them the mayor doesnt.

There is no point arguing with these Ed Shadid supporters; you can lead a horse to water, but can't make him drink.
These voters had their minds made up on these falsehoods, long before Ed Shadid showed up. He is simply telling them the things they want to hear, it makes their ears feel warm and their loins tingle. It doesn't matter how untruthful these things are, because they know it in their mind to be true. Ed is simply confirming their paranoia and their unfounded fears.

Midtowner
01-16-2014, 11:54 AM
And of course, he claims MAPS III and the zoo exist at the expense of public safety unions.

Yeah, the zoo is on his chopping block. If you haven't been to the OKC zoo, it's a treat. I recall a time when I was a child where we visited the San Diego Zoo and were pretty underwhelmed when comparing it to the OKC zoo.

Urban Pioneer
01-16-2014, 01:07 PM
In case you missed it, you can "like" Progressives for Mayor Cornett on Facebook, here- www.facebook.com/progressivesformayorcornett
(http://www.facebook.com/progressivesformayorcornett)

Edgar
01-16-2014, 02:28 PM
Uh, Edgar. Not to poke a pin in your bubble or anything, but you realize I presume, and if not, you should, that your preferred candidate, the one you consider pro transit, has no plan at all to move funds from the cc or any other existing project over to busses, bus shelters etc. His plan is to ask voters to kill the cc as a possibility and to stop the MAPs 3 tax early.

I realize you think you've hitched your cart to a rising star, but in reality, you've hitched it to someone who thought voting was fairly useless, and whose primary plan appears to be rail on the plans of others without putting out anything that passes as a logical coherent plan of his own.

It's possible to pick a worse candidate, but only if one actually files for the office.

Just poking fun at the co-opting of the term progressives. Everything I've read and heard seems Shadid is the one talking sense. Mick is the one afflicted with magical thinking.

Edgar
01-16-2014, 02:29 PM
And of course, he claims MAPS III and the zoo exist at the expense of public safety unions.

Yeah, the zoo is on his chopping block. If you haven't been to the OKC zoo, it's a treat. I recall a time when I was a child where we visited the San Diego Zoo and were pretty underwhelmed when comparing it to the OKC zoo.

The zoo is great and has been for a long time, and received help when it was struggling. It's no longer.

warreng88
01-16-2014, 02:53 PM
Just poking fun at the co-opting of the term progressives. Everything I've read and heard seems Shadid is the one talking sense. Mick is the one afflicted with magical thinking.

And that's all he has done is talk about the problems. He has offered no solutions to the problems. Mick has. Your move...

betts
01-16-2014, 02:54 PM
In case you missed it, you can "like" Progressives for Mayor Cornett on Facebook, here- www.facebook.com/progressivesformayorcornett
(http://www.facebook.com/progressivesformayorcornett)

:)

LakeEffect
01-16-2014, 02:58 PM
The zoo is great and has been for a long time, and received help when it was struggling. It's no longer.

Because it has a dedicated funding source...

Midtowner
01-16-2014, 03:04 PM

So do you think they'd continue to thrive if you axed their budget? How many families could pay $50/ticket to go to the zoo? The zoo is highly subsidized by the city as are most zoos. These are the things we do to invest in the quality of life for OKC residents.

--and you're not even an OKC resident, so why are you trolling the interwebs anyhow?

PixAre
01-16-2014, 03:11 PM

No co-opting about it. “Progressives for Mick” describes those people who traditionally vote for democratic principles and candidates in national and state elections, but will gladly turn to a more conservative candidate for Mayor.

It seems the people who have co-opted the term for their own use are the people who don’t recognize there is a significant difference between what progressive ideas mean on a federal versus municipal level.

Progressive or shall we say “liberal” politics are those where the ideas are inclusive of policies that are for equal rights (i.e. pro-affirmative action, gay marriage, against voter ID laws, etc.), and government support of programs for poverty, health, transportation, etc. In general, they want to see the country progress as a whole, and not just be inclusive for certain individuals and groups. (Gross over simplification, undoubtedly).

Progressive in terms of municipal parlance embodies the idea that you want to see your city progress in terms of moving forward financially, culturally and demographically. Development of infrastructure and new capital is paramount to such progress. In such context, it’s easy for “progressives” to vote for a mayoral candidate who is pro “progress” versus, despite his national political party affiliation, over one who is openly aggressive toward progressive capital ideas.

One can’t say that the original MAPS hasn’t allowed us as a city to make progress in terms of what we now have available for entertainment and quality of life options. One can’t argue (even David Glover) that the arena – voted on and paid for by the taxpayers – hasn’t allowed us to make significant progress in terms of creating glowing national publicity for our city and state.

Continuing this PROGRESS so we can garner more positive outcomes is exactly why those who typically may vote democrat and/or independent are staunchly pro-Cornett.

Oklahoma City is founded on a weak mayor/strong council city, and operates on a non-partisan level. Were it another system where national party affiliation played a greater role in the election and in local governance, we may be looking at an entirely different scenario.

So yes, lots of progressives are very pro-Cornett, because given the two choices, he is the only one who genuinely wants to see the great amount of progress Oklahoma City has enjoyed over the past two decades continue.

tomokc
01-16-2014, 04:03 PM
I think that this is a great idea. I'm generally a conservative, but that wouldn't stop me from crossing the aisle to support a person who I felt was a better leader.

Way to go guys!

Bellaboo
01-16-2014, 04:40 PM

Edgar,

According to you, you've never even seen Ed in person, but your sister likes him.....Why keep spewing the crap ?

BTW, what happened to 'El Shadid' ? That was good for a few laughs at least.

Urban Pioneer
01-16-2014, 05:24 PM
New page-

In case you missed it, you can "like" Progressives for Mayor Cornett on Facebook, here- www.facebook.com/progressivesformayorcornett (http://www.facebook.com/progressivesformayorcornett)

I would stress that this is simply a facebook page put up by volunteers to show your enthusiasm for Mayor Mick and help get the word out about the great things that he is accomplished. If there are opportunities to volunteer or help in some capacity, we will post them on the page.

Urban Pioneer
01-20-2014, 05:21 PM
Great photos of the Mayor out and about today on the Progressives for Mayor Cornett Facebook page. The Mayor was pronounced at the MLK Parade and the prayer breakfast this morning.

Feel free to send us your own photos of the Mayor for posting.

bradh
01-20-2014, 05:52 PM
Great idea. Consider myself conservative but PixAre said it best, I'm about PROGRESS in OKC, and there is only one man leading that charge, and it's not Ed Shadid.

Urban Pioneer
01-27-2014, 03:39 PM
I saw this and quite frankly there was only one thought that kept running through my mind.... how Ed Shadid would probably never be invited to be on a national broadcast with millions of people watching during a major Presidential event... "Like" Progressive's for Mayor Cornett as we highlight the Mayor tomorrow. https://www.facebook.com/progressivesformayorcornett

"Oklahoma City Mayor Mick Cornett will join a PBS NewsHour for a two-hour broadcast of President Obama's State of the Union Address and the Republican response. The show airs 8 p.m. Tuesday on PBS."

Oklahoma Gazette News: OKC mayor to appear on State of the Union PBS special (http://www.okgazette.com/oklahoma/article-20345-okc-mayor-to-appear-on-state-of-the-union-pbs-special.html)

JPDrake
01-30-2014, 03:17 PM
I've had the unique opportunity to speak with Cornett and Shadid in the same day on one of my visits, when I was invited to talk to Councilman Pettis after a city council meeting. This is a rare election in which I'm satisfied whatever the outcome. I intend to vote for Shadid, because I appreciate the fact that he is politically unaffiliated and that he is something of a populist. He doesn't have as much experience as Cornett, but he seems more receptive to the people's concerns and it's unusual how he's acknowledging groups that are usually ignored, like the Oklahoma Atheists. Still, Mayor Cornett has done right by this city, and if he wins, I can see Oklahoma City continuing to prosper. As far as Republicans go, he's far from the worst, and if he ran for a higher office (state legislature, governor, Congress), unless an absolutely stellar opponent materializes, he can count on my vote then.

David
01-30-2014, 03:29 PM
Out of curiosity JP, how much research have you done into Ed, his past campaign promises, and his current campaign?

betts
01-30-2014, 03:46 PM
I've had the unique opportunity to speak with Cornett and Shadid in the same day on one of my visits, when I was invited to talk to Councilman Pettis after a city council meeting. This is a rare election in which I'm satisfied whatever the outcome. I intend to vote for Shadid, because I appreciate the fact that he is politically unaffiliated and that he is something of a populist. He doesn't have as much experience as Cornett, but he seems more receptive to the people's concerns and it's unusual how he's acknowledging groups that are usually ignored, like the Oklahoma Atheists. Still, Mayor Cornett has done right by this city, and if he wins, I can see Oklahoma City continuing to prosper. As far as Republicans go, he's far from the worst, and if he ran for a higher office (state legislature, governor, Congress), unless an absolutely stellar opponent materializes, he can count on my vote then.

I thought the same thing about Ed when I met him and am embarrassed to say I supported his campaign for Council. Then I saw him in action and listened to him in Council and at meetings. That was enough for me. I'm voting for actions, not words. Mick has been amazing for this city. I was just thinking about where the Thunder would be today had Ed been mayor in 2005. Not here. If Ed wins we'll have a divided Council and no more plans for great things for Oklahoma.

kevinpate
01-30-2014, 04:16 PM
MAPs has clearly been good for OKC overall. Not perfect, but for dang certain good. I think a right interesting comparison would emerge if voters were to look at Cornett's prior campaign pitches, and Shadid's prior campaign pitches, and evaluated the two men on which of these two candidates went out and did what it was he told voters he thought was the right thing to do on MAPs related issues.

JPDrake
01-30-2014, 06:59 PM
Out of curiosity JP, how much research have you done into Ed, his past campaign promises, and his current campaign?

I've found it difficult to dig up extensive information, but I've found enough to know that he's not the perfect candidate. Still, he has proven that he isn't going to subject himself to the will of big campaign donors, and that is a huge point in his favor. I know that there are plenty of nasty details about his life, and I facepalmed pretty hard when he admitted to "marijuana addiction," but if we insist on claiming this nation was founded on Christian principles, the man deserves a fair chance. His campaign has, at times, seemed oddly reminiscent of Peter Russo's gubernatorial campaign in House of Cards, but he also provides an alternative to an establishment that marginalizes political minorities.

That said, I'm not going to cling stubbornly to the idea of voting for him. By all means, shower me with sources and information. Perhaps you have a more complete picture than me, and if I learn more about Shadid and find that he's an unsuitable candidate, my viewpoint will evolve. When I voted for Pettis last year in the Ward 7 race, I did so after trying to find as much information about every candidate as possible. Willful ignorance is an undesirable trait in a prospective journalist like myself.

bradh
01-30-2014, 07:04 PM
The police and fire unions I consider "big campaign donors."

The question I ask is, are you feeling slighted by whatever you consider "establishment" has done for OKC the last decade or so? As someone who arrived in OKC right in the middle of it's revelation (January 2009), I can't imagine anything else other than an OKC represented by Mayor Cornett. He's a fantastic ambassador for this city and great for the role.

I think Shadid is confused that he can become mayor in a weak mayor system and change the world. It's not a dictatorship. I also think if he's elected you may see a small brain drain affect on OKC.

JPDrake
01-30-2014, 07:26 PM
Unions don't have nearly as much donating power as most companies or the Chamber of Commerce, they're not exactly in the same league.

I was referring more to the political establishment of Oklahoma as a whole more than just the city. As a secular humanist, there is, naturally, a slight bias in favor of the candidate who actually acknowledges the existence of atheists and the irreligious in Oklahoma, and Shadid's past involvement with the Green Party appeals to my support for developing a multiparty system. He's a breath of fresh air in those regards, whereas Cornett simply represents the more evolved wing of the Republican party, even running in a nonpartisan race. I would've honestly preferred for Shadid to sit this one out and develop himself as a city councilman before making an attempt for the mayor's chair, but any Democratic or Republican candidate faces an uphill battle for my vote when pitted against any independent. I'd have to be convinced that Shadid would be actively harmful to OKC's future to vote against him, and I vote for independents out of principle when possible to voice my displeasure with Republicans and Democrats statewide and nationwide.

bradh
01-30-2014, 07:35 PM
I get it, but Shadid's not running against Sally Kern or James Lankford here.

soonerguru
01-30-2014, 07:51 PM
Unions don't have nearly as much donating power as most companies or the Chamber of Commerce, they're not exactly in the same league.

I was referring more to the political establishment of Oklahoma as a whole more than just the city. As a secular humanist, there is, naturally, a slight bias in favor of the candidate who actually acknowledges the existence of atheists and the irreligious in Oklahoma, and Shadid's past involvement with the Green Party appeals to my support for developing a multiparty system. He's a breath of fresh air in those regards, whereas Cornett simply represents the more evolved wing of the Republican party, even running in a nonpartisan race. I would've honestly preferred for Shadid to sit this one out and develop himself as a city councilman before making an attempt for the mayor's chair, but any Democratic or Republican candidate faces an uphill battle for my vote when pitted against any independent. I'd have to be convinced that Shadid would be actively harmful to OKC's future to vote against him, and I vote for independents out of principle when possible to voice my displeasure with Republicans and Democrats statewide and nationwide.

He's trying to destroy the MAPS brand, possibly the most toxic thing a politician of any political party or stripe has attempted in recent OKC history. He promotes division. He doesn't get anything accomplished and fails to offer a solid plan to execute the few things he champions. I was right there with you on Ed Shadid, embarrassingly(except I'm a Democrat and not against other Democrats, as you seem to be) until I saw him in action. There is no doubt that Shadid has already been harmful to the future of the city; were he to be elected you could pretty much kiss goodbye a MAPS 4, open the possibility to undermine MAPS 3, which has already been approved by voters, and pretty much scratch the next major general obligation bond, which is set for 2019. There could not be a more destructive, divisive, or harmful politician to the future of OKC than Ed Shadid.

betts
01-30-2014, 07:58 PM
Ed's done a wee bit more than smoke marijuana. But, despite some pretty horrific behavior as outlined by his wife, I suppose we have to be kind and hope he's done an aboutface ethically. Of course, then there's his lying consistently to achieve his ends, including lying to constituents. And there's the fact that he's alienated some of the most reasonable people on the City Council. Oh well? Maybe, like my friend says about presidents, the country seems to survive the bad ones. But why take a risk? Ed is not the face I want a city on the rise to show to the rest of the country. Not now, not ever. And I'm one of the progressive Democrats this thread was designed for.

betts
01-31-2014, 07:46 AM
I've found it difficult to dig up extensive information, but I've found enough to know that he's not the perfect candidate. Still, he has proven that he isn't going to subject himself to the will of big campaign donors, and that is a huge point in his favor. I know that there are plenty of nasty details about his life, and I facepalmed pretty hard when he admitted to "marijuana addiction," but if we insist on claiming this nation was founded on Christian principles, the man deserves a fair chance. His campaign has, at times, seemed oddly reminiscent of Peter Russo's gubernatorial campaign in House of Cards, but he also provides an alternative to an establishment that marginalizes political minorities.

You do realize that while Ed is trying to look as if he is making nice to the atheists, he's also cozying up to the ultra-right wing as well? During his candidacy for Council he vowed to finish MAPS as promised to the voters because he knew his ward was decidedly pro-MAPS. We all know how long he kept that promise. After losing his battle to stop the streetcar (in which he secretly convinced religious leaders in Ward 7 to come out against the streetcar and blindsided our Councilman Pettis in an attempt to manipulate his vote), he vowed to make sure the streetcar was done right. He's never said another word about the streetcar or shown up at a meeting.

But he says all the right things. Watch what he does. Ask yourself why the only Council person who will vote with him consistently is Pete White. He'll throw anyone under the bus to achieve his ends. He's got a low political IQ and has no idea how to build coalitions or compromise. That's not necessarily a bad thing in one city council member. A Don Quixote here or there doesn't hurt. But I shudder to think of him as mayor and I pray the majority of voters feel the same.

Urban Pioneer
02-18-2014, 06:59 AM
A great read and exactly how many of us feel.

Which is best mayor for city?s 20-somethings? | Capital City (http://www.capitalcityok.com/2014/02/is-cornett-the-right-mayor-of-citys-20-somethings/)

kevinpate
02-18-2014, 07:54 AM
The single biggest danger in the present election cycle is the same as what existed months ago ... apathy. It's hurt more than one candidate whose faithful were convinced the outcome was already certain and just got too busy to bother.

betts
02-18-2014, 08:13 AM
Agree. The underdogs supporters always vote, and Ed has more appeal than Steve Hunt (as should a rock). I keep telling everyone to vote and bring 5 friends with you. Or at least convince 5 friends to vote.

mkjeeves
02-18-2014, 11:40 AM
I have a handful of progressive friends who have shown vocal support for Ed. (Lots of progressive friends who haven't said a word and I know none on either side of the aisle who have come out for Mick.)

Each time the subject has come up, I've told them they should visit OKCtalk and read the hate spew from the handful of former supporters who post here. You're welcome. Yes, I'm a progressive and I'm still undecided.

LakeEffect
02-18-2014, 11:46 AM
I have a handful of progressive friends who have shown vocal support for Ed. (Lots of progressive friends who haven't said a word and I know none on either side of the aisle who have come out for Mick.)

Each time the subject has come up, I've told them they should visit OKCtalk and read the hate spew from the handful of former supporters who post here. You're welcome. Yes, I'm a progressive and I'm still undecided.

I'm confused - are you saying none of your progressive friends have come out for Mick, but you do have some that are undecided?

mkjeeves
02-18-2014, 11:53 AM
It's not something I go around asking people where they stand, but none of my progressive friends have shown support for Mick. Several are supporters of Ed and some are campaigning for Ed. The ones I know who support Ed I know either because they have tried to get me to come to an Ed event, or they post Ed stuff on their facebook pages. I don't personally know anyone who has attended a Mick event, is working for Mick, or has shown support for Mick. I'm sure they are out there and probably even make up a silent majority, even within my group of friends. That's my assumption based on gut.

LakeEffect
02-18-2014, 12:02 PM
It's not something I go around asking people where they stand, but none of my progressive friends have shown support for Mick. Several are supporters of Ed and some are campaigning for Ed. The ones I know who support Ed I know either because they have tried to get me to come to an Ed event, or they post Ed stuff on their facebook pages. I don't personally know anyone who has attended a Mick event, is working for Mick, or has shown support for Mick. I'm sure they are out there and probably even make up a silent majority, even within my group of friends. That's my assumption based on gut.

Ok.

My circle of friends is full of progressives and some not-so-progressive, and the majority are supporting Mick, some vocally, some quietly. I know a few Ed supporters, but much of their support is based off of friendships with him and one of his close advisers.

SoonerDave
02-18-2014, 12:08 PM
The single biggest danger in the present election cycle is the same as what existed months ago ... apathy. It's hurt more than one candidate whose faithful were convinced the outcome was already certain and just got too busy to bother.

Most astute observation in this thread as of late. This is no longer about positions or posturing, its about turnout. Solid, above-average turnout, and Cornett wins re-election comfortably IMHO. Light turnout, implying a great deal of apathy, bodes the opposite. There is a non-trivial number out there who support Shadid...."just cuz," and those "populist" talking points he repeatedly hits is one of the reasons why Kevin's comment is on the money.

Go vote. Tell your OKC neighbors to vote. Tell your OKC friends to go vote - do not take this particular mayoral election as just another fait accompli, or we seriously risk putting the city in the hands of a guy who has absolutely no business anywhere near the office.

betts
02-18-2014, 12:15 PM
It's a Facebook page for people who consider themselves progressive and are voting for Mick Cornett, who on the surface might seem like a less progressive choice than Ed Shadid. It doesn't mean there aren't progressives who are voting for Ed Shadid. But, all the progressives I know are voting for Mick. Two years ago they might have voted differently, but they pay attention. In my opinion, Ed's biggest enemy is himself, as he's alienated a lot of the people who pay attention.

mkjeeves
02-18-2014, 12:43 PM
Thank you for not co-opting the progressive brand.

Edgar
02-18-2014, 12:58 PM
Check out Mick's progressive ad when he ran for congress. He hits two of the three gop rabble rousing trinity.
Ed Shadid | Okie Funk: Notes From The Outback (http://okiefunk.com/taxonomy/term/155)
Shadid is doing spots speaking Spanish. That has to be a first in OKC elections? He's going whole hog all city. this election will show the true nature of OKC.

bradh
02-18-2014, 01:04 PM
he's catering for votes, which based on those on this board who worked and supported him a couple of years ago can tell you, doesn't mean jack, because he'll go back to ignoring them once he's in office.

Urban Pioneer
03-03-2014, 12:30 AM
I must confess absolute pure enjoyment at how much angst this page is causing the people of DRED. We have real endorsements from real Progressives with more coming.

Now they are claiming that this is some sort of fake, moneyed group putting this on instead of the simple group of citizens that we are.

Always a conspiracy with those folks. It never ends.

CaptDave
03-03-2014, 12:40 AM
It is very strange the people claiming to be progressives at Hudson & 7th are acting exactly like the Tea Party groups they criticize with all the paranoia and pitting groups against each other. Just proves there are extremes on both sides.

PhiAlpha
03-03-2014, 03:09 PM
I must confess absolute pure enjoyment at how much angst this page is causing the people of DRED. We have real endorsements from real Progressives with more coming.

Now they are claiming that this is some sort of fake, moneyed group putting this on instead of the simple group of citizens that we are.

Haha, where are they talking about it? On the Shadid Facebook page that you get banned from for posting anything other than support for Shadid?

Mr. Cotter
03-03-2014, 03:46 PM

My check must have gotten lost in the mail.

CaptDave
03-03-2014, 11:09 PM
My check must have gotten lost in the mail.

The chamber junta intercepted it to fund construction of their lair beneath the MAPS Virtucon CC.