View Full Version : What's Google up to ?

Garin
01-14-2014, 02:08 PM
Glenn Beck Explains Why Google?s Strengthening Relationship With the Military Should Alarm You | TheBlaze.com (http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/01/13/glenn-beck-explains-why-googles-strengthening-relationship-with-the-military-should-alarm-you/)

kelroy55
01-14-2014, 02:20 PM
Well if Glenn Beck is worried there must be something to it.

Garin
01-14-2014, 02:25 PM
He makes some valid points from time to time.

MustangGT
01-14-2014, 02:41 PM
Even a blind squirrel finds a not every now and then.

Garin
01-14-2014, 06:24 PM
Google knows more about you than your spouse or mother. They are already the equivalent of the FBI or NSA, so when do they reach the point of saying this is how it's going down..... We would hate for people to know this about you.

trousers
01-14-2014, 06:35 PM
Hasn't the NSA proven that they can get Google data without Googles knowledge, and if not knowledge then at least without their permission?

Garin
01-14-2014, 06:45 PM
I'm pretty sure that it was determined that Google has and is working directly with the NSA

Garin
01-14-2014, 06:48 PM
Hasn't the NSA proven that they can get Google data without Googles knowledge, and if not knowledge then at least without their permission?

How Google Gives Your Information to the NSA (http://gizmodo.com/how-google-gives-your-information-to-the-nsa-512840958)

trousers
01-14-2014, 07:03 PM
http://youtu.be/w8c_m6U1f9o

Garin
01-14-2014, 07:10 PM
You guys are extremely naive IMO.

BBatesokc
01-14-2014, 07:10 PM
Google knows more about you than your spouse or mother. They are already the equivalent of the FBI or NSA, so when do they reach the point of saying this is how it's going down..... We would hate for people to know this about you.

So bizarre.... exactly what would Google know about you or I that "I'd hate for people to know this about me." Do people really believe we all have some sort of hidden double life with deep dark secrets?

Garin
01-14-2014, 07:15 PM
So bizarre.... exactly what would Google know about you or I that "I'd hate for people to know this about me." Do people really believe we all have some sort of hidden double life with deep dark secrets?

1/2 billion email accounts, 2 billion se users, they know your every move and possible your darkest secrets that involve web use ..... If Bell telephone was deemed to large how is Google any different

Garin
01-14-2014, 07:17 PM
Hey, I just work with governments and government data for a living. What do I know?

And your sources are what exactly?

I said it was my opinion and gut feeling

Mel
01-14-2014, 07:19 PM
Bigfoot got shot for trying to stay off the grid. The world is a fishbowl so might as well get use to it. I have used the guide that I don't put anything on the web I wouldn't want my Mom to read. Of course she already knows I have an attitude problem and a potty mouth.

BBatesokc
01-14-2014, 08:12 PM
1/2 billion email accounts, 2 billion se users, they know your every move and possible your darkest secrets that involve web use ..... If Bell telephone was deemed to large how is Google any different

My bank knows my every move (I use my debit or credit card everywhere I go), Apple knows every move too since my iPhone has GPS on, not to mention there are cameras everywhere. If my email client was AOL they'd know my email correspondence too.

Guess what, there's an easy way out..... don't use those things if you don't want people to have potential access to them. Personally, there is NOTHING in my emails, location or web history that I'd be one bit ashamed of.... nothing, nada, zilch.

Some people go through life carrying a guilty conscience or trying to keep their secrets in the shadows. I wasn't raised that way. I'm a pretty open book with pretty thick skin. I leave my phone out and don't hesitate to have my wife check my emails or text messages if I'm busy. Not sure what some of you people are up to, but maybe you need the fear of exposure to keep you within reasonable boundaries.

I had my computers and phones seized back in 2005 and my home searched when DA Lane had a go at me. You think every effort wasn't made to try and find a single secret? It was and they came up empty. Why? If you don't do things you'd be ashamed of, then you don't have to carry the stress of keeping it secret. Not saying I've never done anything wrong (I have been around for 43 years), but as I got older and matured, I put life in perspective.

That said, I'm not one of those people who willingly turns over my life and decision making ability to the gov't. But people need to realize that the next big technology/industry revolution is one that comes with a give and take of what our old ideals of 'privacy' have been. If these companies didn't have access to many aspects of our lives (shopping habits, travel habits, etc.) then the technology we take for granted would come at a hefty and very real price tag.

Bunty
01-14-2014, 11:02 PM
Why? If you don't do things you'd be ashamed of, then you don't have to carry the stress of keeping it secret. Not saying I've never done anything wrong (I have been around for 43 years), but as I got older and matured, I put life in perspective.

That works as long as the powers that be don't decide to declare the things you aren't ashamed of doing are felonies.

BBatesokc
01-15-2014, 04:58 AM
That works as long as the powers that be don't decide to declare the things you aren't ashamed of doing are felonies.

You can't go through life being afraid of what others may say about you or falsely accuse you of. You have no control over it, only the power of truth to defend yourself - and its often a very good defense.

Speaking of, our judicial system is something people should be far more afraid of than the fact Google knows way too much about our boring lives. Does it really matter if Google has your emails and Apple has your location - when in reality all it takes is you f'ing up and get caught with marijuana and ending up bankrupt, losing your home and the very real possibility of going to prison?

hoya
01-15-2014, 09:05 AM
Guess what, there's an easy way out..... don't use those things if you don't want people to have potential access to them. Personally, there is NOTHING in my emails, location or web history that I'd be one bit ashamed of.... nothing, nada, zilch.

Me neither, but that's because I have no shame at all.

trousers
01-15-2014, 09:16 AM
This is the big problem with most conspiracy theories of this type. They look at grand plots by evil masterminds while ignoring the day to day realities. In another thread there was a concern that the government was adding tracking devices to cars. The MAN is going to be tracking cars. People ASK to be tracked everyday. People go out of their way to buy products that track them. OnStar, Google maps, hell almost anything on a smart phone.

In one breath you have "Isnt it so cool that I did 12 Yelp check-ins today" and the next is "did you hear that the government is conspiring to track me? Those bastards!"

kelroy55
01-15-2014, 09:45 AM
Did ya hear Google bought Nest. now they can watch us in our homes !!!!!!!

Just the facts
01-15-2014, 09:45 AM
Does anyone ever wonder why the government wants to know this data? I mean, they aren't collecting this data just for the fun of it or because they can. Surely they have a use in mind. If you think it is just counter-terrorism more power to you.

As for Google collecting data on me and selling it, its my data I think they owe me a check with at least three 0's on it.

kelroy55
01-15-2014, 10:32 AM
Does anyone ever wonder why the government wants to know this data? I mean, they aren't collecting this data just for the fun of it or because they can. Surely they have a use in mind. If you think it is just counter-terrorism more power to you.

As for Google collecting data on me and selling it, its my data I think they owe me a check with at least three 0's on it.

0.00? here's the link of Google buy of Nest Google's plot to take over your digital life - Jan. 15, 2014 (http://money.cnn.com/2014/01/15/technology/innovation/google-nest/index.html?hpt=hp_c2)

RadicalModerate
01-15-2014, 09:46 PM
What's Google up to? No good would be my guess.
(oh. wait . . . d'ya mean the stock price? . . . haven't got a clue.)

OSUFan
01-16-2014, 08:16 AM
This might be an extremely dumb question from someone who does not know the inner workings of the the internet but if you don't want Google using your info could you not use Google services?

kelroy55
01-16-2014, 09:02 AM
This might be an extremely dumb question from someone who does not know the inner workings of the the internet but if you don't want Google using your info could you not use Google services?

hey now... no common sense allowed.

onthestrip
01-16-2014, 10:36 AM
Call me ignorant but I really dont have a problem with Google gaining more and more data on people. I dont see google doing sinister things with it (dont they have a motto something like "do good things") but rather I think they have really smart people who can use this data to make products and services that are smarter and more efficient, thus improving our daily lives. But then maybe Im being naive.

I feel the same way with making medical records digital. If smart folks could analyze the medical records of millions of people they could learn some very important things and probably improve medical care and services.

Garin
01-23-2014, 08:23 PM
» Whistleblower: Google Chrome Can Listen To Your Conversations Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind! (http://www.infowars.com/whistleblower-google-chrome-can-listen-to-your-conversations/)

Garin
02-24-2014, 04:56 PM
Top Google Engineer: 15 Years Until Computers Outsmart Humans | TheBlaze.com (http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/02/24/top-google-engineer-15-years-until-computers-outsmart-humans/)