View Full Version : Facebook has gone over-the-top PC - No Weight Loss Photos!

BBatesokc
01-13-2014, 01:29 PM
This is just too much....

Who knew Facebook doesn't allow before and after photos, images with scales, tape measures, etc. because they promote idealised physical appearances.

Marilyn McKenna's weight loss picture violates Facebook's terms | News.com.au (http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/marilyn-mckennas-weight-loss-picture-violates-facebooks-terms/story-fneuzkvr-1226800419086)

And I remember when Zuckerberg claimed Facebook was 'cool.'

But you can have entire Facebook profiles dedicated to photos of drunk women, women's butts, etc.

Martin
01-13-2014, 01:38 PM
from the article it seems like the problem wasn't with the photo itself but with the fact that mckenna was trying to use it as part of a paid promotion of her website and blog... -M

Pete
01-13-2014, 01:39 PM
Facebook is getting much more aggressive in trying to sell it's own way of advertising since they went public.

SoonerDave
01-13-2014, 01:56 PM
Facebook is getting much more aggressive in trying to sell it's own way of advertising since they went public.

Interestingly enough, as I do FB less and less, I also keep hearing my teenage kids tell me that FB is almost "old school, boring" where quick interactions like Twitter, Snapchat, Instagram, etc are the preferred way to keep in touch. How long can FB last in a world where their young, target audience is seemingly kinda leaving them?

Just wondering.

BBatesokc
01-13-2014, 01:58 PM
more tabloid links for OKCTalk though... so ya!

What's 'tabloid' about it (other you simply don't like the site apparently)? It gave the relevant facts and identified the post as an 'ad' - that still doesn't make the TOS not ridiculous. Great to know being a normal weight is now an unhealthy idealization. Meanwhile I get a nonstop stream of crap ads along my Facebook....

bchris02
01-13-2014, 02:25 PM
Interestingly enough, as I do FB less and less, I also keep hearing my teenage kids tell me that FB is almost "old school, boring" where quick interactions like Twitter, Snapchat, Instagram, etc are the preferred way to keep in touch. How long can FB last in a world where their young, target audience is seemingly kinda leaving them?

Just wondering.

Facebook never really was for teenagers. It started out only open to college students and was later opened up to everyone, but MySpace was always the social network preferred by teens. I do agree that Facebook, like YouTube is all about the money now and has lost its original coolness.

Achilleslastand
01-13-2014, 05:35 PM
Belch....
Never understood the fascination with FB an I know this is slightly off topic but I have friend that has like 500 friends on FB some of them people from the same high school who back in the day wanted nothing to do with him but now 20 years or so down the road and having them as friends on FB is all the sudden supposed to be relevant.

BBatesokc
01-13-2014, 06:00 PM
Belch....
Never understood the fascination with FB an I know this is slightly off topic but I have friend that has like 500 friends on FB some of them people from the same high school who back in the day wanted nothing to do with him but now 20 years or so down the road and having them as friends on FB is all the sudden supposed to be relevant.

Its like so many other things, its all in how you use it, perceive it and how you think others perceive you because of it.

You can make the same analogies about people who own big trucks, have gym memberships they don't use, or buy expensive homes in places like Gailardia. For some people it makes sense and for others its simply for show.

I personally really like Facebook and would probably even pay a small fee if it came down to it to continue to use it. But I don't 'friend' hoard and if i don't really know you or like you, then you're not on my page.

As for irrelevant high school friends, I actually friended people when my 20-year reunion came around in 2009. I unfriended most after the reunion (we were only 'friends' so they could see photos and videos from the event), but actually connected with some people whose circle I had nothing to do with in school. As a matter of fact, a group of 5 or so are coming over to my house this week. So, one person's perception of FB is certainly not anothers - though both are perfectly valid.

ctchandler
01-13-2014, 08:19 PM
I'm not much of a "joiner" and have never used Facebook. I might be the only person on the planet that can say that. At least it seems that way.
C. T.

RadicalModerate
01-14-2014, 07:29 AM
Did you catch what she called the Facebook Content Gestapo?
She called them "dunderheads" . . . that's right: dunderheads.
When is the last time you heard or saw THAT term used?

(I can think of a related term that begins with d---, one that starts with s--- and another with f---
but I thought "dunderheads" was as extinct as Facebook will be in a few years)

Just the facts
01-14-2014, 07:56 AM

Just wondering.

Now you are starting to sound like me on a myriad of other topics. :)

We have 3 facebook users in our household - my wife and 2 teenage kids. My wife is the dominant user of Facebook. Both of my kids use TeenSpeak as their primary electronic connection to friends.