View Full Version : Bibbs Smokehouse (formerly The Mantel)

Pete
01-12-2014, 01:54 PM
http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/mantelwiki1.jpg
Information & Latest News
Gallery

Prunepicker
01-12-2014, 02:41 PM
My only experience with The Mantle has been some hors d'oeuvres and
chocolate cake. I remember them being incredible. The cake was fantastic.

kevinpate
01-12-2014, 05:26 PM
We've enjoyed an anniversary dinner there. Been a while. Sees we lean more toward Italian in recent years.

Jeepnokc
08-25-2023, 08:06 AM
The Mantel announced they are out of business.

https://www.themantelokc.com/

Website say another concept to be announced soon so hopefully won't be sitting empty long

OKCRealtor
08-25-2023, 08:47 AM
The Mantel announced they are out of business.

Dang! Not that it was ever on my radar but was notable for many years.

amocore
08-25-2023, 08:50 AM
It was a staple of DT OKC but I think it just a victim of too much good competition around town.

Personally, I hope the building will be redone in something more open; restaurant or not.

CCOKC
08-25-2023, 09:10 AM
I was eating dinner there one time when LeBron James came in. It was always good but not necessarily ever on my list of go-to places.

Martin
08-25-2023, 09:46 AM
mantel used to serve my pi pizza... around 15 years ago, my brother was visiting from out of state and he was jonesing for some, so we picked up pizzas from there and a couple other local places around town so that he could compare and contrast. : )

Ginkasa
08-25-2023, 10:16 AM
My wife and I had our low key wedding dinner there. It was a nice night, but there were a few other "nice" restaurants around at that time we enjoyed more and the market's only gotten more and more crowded ever since so we never found ourselves back there. Sad, though, for the memories.

BoulderSooner
08-25-2023, 10:21 AM
the mantle was always a solid date night choice .. sad to see it go ..

Swake
08-25-2023, 12:21 PM
mantel used to serve my pi pizza... around 15 years ago, my brother was visiting from out of state and he was jonesing for some, so we picked up pizzas from there and a couple other local places around town so that he could compare and contrast. : )

Wow, how long did My Pi last in OKC? The one in Tulsa on Lewis was just the third location but It closed in the late 80s. They reopened by Woodland Hills Mall for a few years in the late 90s, but it was not the same. I had no idea the one in OKC lasted into this century. I would have gone!

I've actually been to the original location in Chicago. Really great deep dish pizza, better than the original UNOs and DUEs as a matter of fact.

Bill Robertson
08-25-2023, 12:47 PM
Wow, how long did My Pi last in OKC? The one in Tulsa on Lewis was just the third location but It closed in the late 80s. They reopened by Woodland Hills Mall for a few years in the late 90s, but it was not the same. I had no idea the one in OKC lasted into this century. I would have gone!

I've actually been to the original location in Chicago. Really great deep dish pizza, better than the original UNOs and DUEs as a matter of fact.
I don't remember how long it lasted. I know we started going there around the end of high school so that would have been '76 or '77. I know my first wife and the group we ran around with went there until the mid 80s. But I don't know how long before or after that they were there.

Martin
08-25-2023, 03:13 PM
early to mid 80's sounds about right since my brother graduated high school in '83... i'm roughly a decade younger, and it was gone before i started running around town.

citywokchinesefood
08-25-2023, 04:27 PM
The Mantle used to be pretty good years ago. The kitchen is an absolute disaster and needs to be completely gutted at this point. Hopefully whomever takes the spot does a substantial renovation. It was one of the only spots that would bring me to Bricktown 10-15 years ago.

Urbanized
08-25-2023, 05:20 PM
I was eating dinner there one time when LeBron James came in. It was always good but not necessarily ever on my list of go-to places.
We’re you eating at The Mantel? Or Mickey Mantle’s Steakhouse? LeBron was (and most of the rest of the NBA were) regular at Mickey’s for the first decade+ of the NBA in OKC. I’m not saying that you were confusing the two, but it would be easy to do, especially if someone didn’t have a lot of awareness regarding The Mantel. I’m hopeful this news doesn’t confuse the public and hurt Mickey’s, which is still going strong.

Pete
08-25-2023, 05:27 PM
24 years is a great run for any restaurant, especially one that hasn't seemed to have any significant changes/updates during that time.

Bill Robertson
08-25-2023, 05:48 PM
24 years is a great run for any restaurant, especially one that hasn't seemed to have any significant changes/updates during that time.And for one that one couple owned. Not part of any group of restaurants. Kudos to them!

barrettd
08-26-2023, 08:48 AM
We’re you eating at The Mantel? Or Mickey Mantle’s Steakhouse? LeBron was (and most of the rest of the NBA were) regular at Mickey’s for the first decade+ of the NBA in OKC. I’m not saying that you were confusing the two, but it would be easy to do, especially if someone didn’t have a lot of awareness regarding The Mantel. I’m hopeful this news doesn’t confuse the public and hurt Mickey’s, which is still going strong.

Good point, I was confused, at first. I've never been to either, but was surprised because I always hear great things about Mickey Mantle's.

Jersey Boss
08-26-2023, 09:07 AM
24 years is a great run for any restaurant, especially one that hasn't seemed to have any significant changes/updates during that time.

Agreed 100%. I don't frequent steak houses as a general rule and ate here 3-4 times over the years. Always satisfied with the food and experience.

Pete
08-28-2023, 06:07 AM
After a memorable 24-year run, the Mantel has closed its doors at 201 E. Sheridan in Bricktown, but a great new restaurant will be taking its place: Bibbs Smokehouse.

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/bibbs082723a.jpg

Bibbs has built a big following but when plans fell through to buy their building in East Norman, they looked for other opportunities. They hope to bring their BBQ and home cooking to the new spot in early September.

They will also open a 2nd location at 9900 NE 23rd, most recently home to Spencers Smokehouse.

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/bibbs082723b.jpg

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/bibbs082723c.jpg

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/bibbs082723f.jpg

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/bibbs082723e.jpg

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/bibbs082723d.jpg

Urbanized
08-28-2023, 07:40 AM
Fantastic use of that space. Will absolutely kill it there, assuming the BBQ is solid.

amocore
08-28-2023, 07:46 AM
Are they planning on doing some modifications to the building ?

anyway, this a quick turn around and great news as they are not BBQ in Bricktown anymore.

CCOKC
08-28-2023, 07:54 AM

Most definitely the Mantel. I can see where people could confuse the two however. I ate at a table next to James Harden at Mickey Mantle's after a game when he was still a member of the Thunder.

macfoucin
08-28-2023, 08:00 AM
We ate at Bibbs once in Norman and wasn't very impressed. Wish them the best of luck though at this location.

Pete
08-28-2023, 08:20 AM
It's a highly visible location and since Earl's went out, I believe this will be the only BBQ place not only in Bricktown but pretty much downtown in general.

catcherinthewry
08-28-2023, 10:56 AM
We ate at Bibbs once in Norman and wasn't very impressed. Wish them the best of luck though at this location.

I had the same experience. I think they need to up their game if the want to make it in Bricktown.

Shortsyeararound
08-28-2023, 11:45 AM
We have had it and loved it, maybe we are biased because we know them, but it was solid food. I wish them well and it is so much closer than LTB.

rjstone208
08-28-2023, 01:05 PM
Oh boy, another BBQ joint. Why couldn't we have another hamburger or taco joint instead? Or even Mexican? Who would even consider another decent steak house, seafood? Or better yet a real Greek restaurant since we're overrun with those. Oh well; big, dramatic sigh.

chssooner
08-28-2023, 01:46 PM
Oh boy, another BBQ joint. Why couldn't we have another hamburger or taco joint instead? Or even Mexican? Who would even consider another decent steak house, seafood? Or better yet a real Greek restaurant since we're overrun with those. Oh well; big, dramatic sigh.

How many BBQ restaurants are there in Bricktown? I will wait...

Your comment really, REALLY makes no sense. Would you want Paraguaian food on a prime corner in Bricktown? Another steakhouse, with one right next door?

dankrutka
08-28-2023, 05:26 PM
I'd love to see them convert more of those parking spaces into a larger patio, or something else to activate that space with good urbanist design. Those parking spots really make that corner feel dead even though there's a restaurant right there.

Pete
08-28-2023, 05:37 PM
There is a really nice covered patio that should now get good use.

That is a really key corner for Bricktown.

rjstone208
08-28-2023, 05:45 PM
The point isn't the location or what goes in there. We ate at the Mantel several times and loved it. Hate to see it go. It's how many more BBQ or hamburger or taco and anything other thing we have an abundance of and cuisines we don't have much of. Just a plain 'ole family style restaurant with a variety of menu items would be good. Doesn't have to be fancy with a $60 price tag for a 12 oz piece of meat.

Pete
08-28-2023, 05:53 PM
There is already a huge variety in and around Bricktown but not one BBQ place anywhere near.

As far as family restaurants: Rendezvous Pizza, Toby Keith's, Spaghetti Factory, Bourbon Street, Abuelo's, Brickopolis, Fuel, Fuzzy's, Dave's, IHOP, Marble Slab, Revolutions, Texadelphia, Yucatan, The Wedge, Deep Deuce Grill, Spark... I'm sure I'm missing others. And before you say "those aren't family restaurants" go into any of them on an early weekend evening. Tons of families.

HOT ROD
08-28-2023, 10:22 PM
I thought TOby Keith's was a bbq place but I guess they just have some of it on their menu. Anyway, I think this is a great idea.

Roger S
08-29-2023, 09:33 AM
I thought TOby Keith's was a bbq place but I guess they just have some of it on their menu. Anyway, I think this is a great idea.

Toby Keith's menu is basically every other Hal Smith restaurant menu with different names for the same dishes. A few variations at each concept but HSRG has a template and it works very well for them.

s00nr1
11-21-2023, 01:50 PM
Has anyone been yet? Interested to hear how it compares to their old Thunderbird location.

OkieBerto
11-21-2023, 01:58 PM
Has anyone been yet? Interested to hear how it compares to their old Thunderbird location.

I had it once last month. I wasn't impressed with the Brisket, but some of the sides are pretty decent and the "Fried Pork Skin" appetizer is tasty. I think this is fine for Bricktown and the regulars that spend time down there, but I think the BBQ is pretty weak.