View Full Version : French Market Mall

Pete
01-11-2014, 10:49 AM
$700,000 (!) building permit application on 1/10/13 to renovate the old Furr's space into a new use; looks like it may be a Petco.

This project is very well leased:

http://www.okctalk.com/attachments/development-buildings/5852d1389462526-french-market-mall-fmsiteplan.jpg

There is something going in next to Catherine's. I have no clue what it is, but I'd love to know.

Urbanized
01-12-2014, 07:33 PM
Good grief the parking there is such a needless nightmare.

bchris02
01-12-2014, 07:42 PM
Wow. I drive by this every day and had no idea a two-level enclosed mall was what the original proposal was.

Urbanized
01-12-2014, 07:55 PM
Saw Leon Russell play there years ago, at the old (but not original) Boar's Head. Also used to be home to Doc Blues' place, like, 30 years ago.

mkjeeves
01-12-2014, 07:59 PM
Went to Bianca's Jazz Club a time or two.

I forgot Trust House Jewelers being there before they moved out on street front property.

zookeeper
01-12-2014, 09:03 PM
Wow. I drive by this every day and had no idea a two-level enclosed mall was what the original proposal was.

Bchris, It wasn't just a proposal. It actually was a thriving two-level shopping mall at one time. There was a a movie theater (four screens, I think?), clothing stores, an old-fashioned tobacco shop, a newsstand, gift shops, a book store, clubs, a jazz lounge....it was very nice and was the talk of the town for quite a while. Things came and went and finally, it lost most all of its tenants ---- a casualty of the oil bust.

stlokc
01-12-2014, 09:09 PM
Alberta's Tea Room was also in that mall. My grandparents had an anniversary party there and it was also where our high school baccalaureate dinner was held.

gjl
01-12-2014, 09:24 PM
Praying they will restripe their parking lot. I can't think of another shopping center lot I hate more than that one. And exiting the lot to go west on 63rd from either exit is a nightmare.

shawnw
01-13-2014, 08:40 AM
I feel like they could squeeze in something on the 63rd frontage and still have plenty of parking. While I'd advocate for something else, with how they've been growing, and the competition nearby (KFC, CFA), this might actually make a good spot for a future Cane's (in the parking lot, facing 63rd, not the old Furr's spot).

Pete
01-13-2014, 01:38 PM
If you click on the black & white photo attached to the article above, you can see the original tenants in 1972 and a photo of the mall interior, where Burlington Coat Factory now sits.

That wrought iron staircase was really memorable.

LuccaBrasi
01-13-2014, 01:56 PM
Pete, You mentioned at the top "looks like it may be a Petco.", so I was not sure if the info you dug up was unclear or not, but I can confirm you are spot on.

zookeeper
01-13-2014, 01:56 PM
Does anybody remember what the bookstore was? Was it Bollinger's before they opened at Northpark? I remember whatever it was, they left and a sign said "Coming Soon: Doubleday Books." There were no Doubleday Book Shops in Oklahoma City and I was thrilled having been in them on the coasts. It never happened.

Urbanized
01-13-2014, 02:13 PM
Oh, man...remember books? They were so cool...

Pete
01-26-2014, 06:58 PM
http://www.tileshop.com/index.aspx

The Tile Shop Opens First Retail Store In Oklahoma City
BY Business Wire | 01/08/14 - 01:45 PM EST

The Tile Shop (NASDAQ:TTS), a specialty retailer of high quality, premium manufactured and natural stone tiles, has launched its first retail store in Oklahoma City.

The new 19,100 square foot Oklahoma City location is The Tile Shop’s second store in Oklahoma. The company recently opened a new store in Tulsa. The new store offers the most comprehensive selection of 4,500 beautiful and natural stone and tile products in the Oklahoma City market.

The Tile Shop’s new store in Oklahoma City is located at 2844 N.W. 63 rd Street in the French Market Shopping Center. The new store is located on the north side of the city, near the affluent Nichols Hills and Village neighborhoods, just off the Lake Hefner Parkway and near the busy six-lane Northwest Expressway. The new location is situated in a high traffic retail location near other in-demand retailers including Target, Walmart, Best Buy, Costco, Petsmart, Bed Bath & Beyond, and Michael’s.

When Oklahoma City homeowners enter their new Tile Shop retail location, they will receive the Beautiful Made Easy™ experience. This shopping experience helps homeowners find the most beautiful tile and stone in the world, and makes it as easy as possible for homeowners to purchase exactly what they need to transform their homes.

The Tile Shop in Oklahoma City will feature fully decorated, room-size displays -- kitchens, baths, and other spaces within a home – completed with actual appliances as well as lighting and plumbing fixtures, that allow a homeowner to envision what their Tile Shop tile and stone will look like, installed, in their home.

The Tile Shop’s incredible offering of tile and stone is complemented with friendly and knowledgeable sales associates who are specially trained to help Oklahoma City homeowners realize their home decorating dreams. Jeremy Hellings, who joined The Tile Shop in 2010, will manage The Tile Shop’s new Oklahoma City location.

DowntownMan
01-28-2014, 07:12 PM
http://www.tileshop.com/index.aspx

The Tile Shop Opens First Retail Store In Oklahoma City
BY Business Wire | 01/08/14 - 01:45 PM EST

The Tile Shop (NASDAQ:TTS), a specialty retailer of high quality, premium manufactured and natural stone tiles, has launched its first retail store in Oklahoma City.

The new 19,100 square foot Oklahoma City location is The Tile Shop’s second store in Oklahoma. The company recently opened a new store in Tulsa. The new store offers the most comprehensive selection of 4,500 beautiful and natural stone and tile products in the Oklahoma City market.

The Tile Shop’s new store in Oklahoma City is located at 2844 N.W. 63 rd Street in the French Market Shopping Center. The new store is located on the north side of the city, near the affluent Nichols Hills and Village neighborhoods, just off the Lake Hefner Parkway and near the busy six-lane Northwest Expressway. The new location is situated in a high traffic retail location near other in-demand retailers including Target, Walmart, Best Buy, Costco, Petsmart, Bed Bath & Beyond, and Michael’s.

When Oklahoma City homeowners enter their new Tile Shop retail location, they will receive the Beautiful Made Easy™ experience. This shopping experience helps homeowners find the most beautiful tile and stone in the world, and makes it as easy as possible for homeowners to purchase exactly what they need to transform their homes.

The Tile Shop in Oklahoma City will feature fully decorated, room-size displays -- kitchens, baths, and other spaces within a home – completed with actual appliances as well as lighting and plumbing fixtures, that allow a homeowner to envision what their Tile Shop tile and stone will look like, installed, in their home.

The Tile Shop’s incredible offering of tile and stone is complemented with friendly and knowledgeable sales associates who are specially trained to help Oklahoma City homeowners realize their home decorating dreams. Jeremy Hellings, who joined The Tile Shop in 2010, will manage The Tile Shop’s new Oklahoma City location.

..........The new location is situated in a high traffic retail location near other in-demand retailers including Target, Walmart, Best Buy, Costco, Petsmart, Bed Bath & Beyond, and Michael’s........

bchris02
05-10-2014, 12:50 AM
I am guessing Natural Grocers is going to this shopping center?

Pete
05-10-2014, 07:25 AM
I am guessing Natural Grocers is going to this shopping center?

??

If you follow the link in your own post to the Natural Grocer's thread it shows exactly where it will go.

Pete
09-28-2022, 08:59 AM
Skechers is planning a large 8,800 SF store in French Market.

This looks like a regular Skechers store vs. the outlets currently located in the OKC area.

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/skechers092822a.jpg

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/skechers092822b.jpg

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/skechers092822c.jpg

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/skechers092822d.jpg

gjl
09-28-2022, 09:24 AM
I went in the BB&B there about a month ago. I hadn't been in there since before Covid. The store is unrecognizable from what it once was. I doubt I'll be going back.

Roger S
09-28-2022, 09:48 AM
I went in the BB&B there about a month ago. I hadn't been in there since before Covid. The store is unrecognizable from what it once was. I doubt I'll be going back.

You may not be able to if it gets put on the 150 store closure list

dheinz44
09-28-2022, 10:02 AM
Went through a couple months ago when they were still renovating and it was all very unorganized and a lot of empty shelves with limited products. I don't go there much but like having the option.

gjl
09-28-2022, 10:36 AM
We really liked it pre covid. We shopped there a lot. It seemed a shell of what it once was product selection wise and I agree very unorganized. And they had the 20% off any item and $5 off $15 or more mailer coupons that even though they had an expiration date, they never expired. You could go there with a hand full of them and use multiple coupons at the same time.

HOT ROD
09-29-2022, 11:44 AM
very nice get!

Skechers is planning a large 8,800 SF store in French Market.

This looks like a regular Skechers store vs. the outlets currently located in the OKC area.

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/skechers092822a.jpg

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/skechers092822b.jpg

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/skechers092822c.jpg

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/skechers092822d.jpg

PaddyShack
09-29-2022, 01:15 PM
Will the tobacco exchange be moving or closing down?