View Full Version : Movie: Wolf of Wallstreet

BBatesokc
01-11-2014, 06:30 AM
Anyone here seen the movie Wolf of Wallstreet starring Leonardo DiCaprio portraying corrupt stockbroker Jordan Belfort of Stratton Oakmont?

The movie is pretty controversial as critics claim it to be over the top sensationalism of drugs and sex.

I really like Scorsese movies and actor Dicaprio so I would have seen it regardless - but my main draw was the Oklahoma tie and all the stories I had heard and documents I had read and wanted to see if they were captured on film. While certainly not portrayed in the movie, a local lawyer friend of mine was the defense attorney for two of the federally indicted defendants (the only two not to receive prison time). So I had heard the stories about this case for years and how unbelievable these people were; the rampant drug use, prostitutes bought as bonuses for brokers and how money and drugs just flowed like water and how the trial transcripts alone would be an excellent script for a movie.

So, I went to see it pretty biased and awestruck with the back story.

Gotta say, I really liked the movie but could see where it would turn off a lot of people with the glorification of drugs and all the blatant nudity and sex.

Just wondered what others thought.

I've actually been spending time going through literally 17 file boxes of court documents from Belfort's trial.... transcripts, FBI 302's and even actual audio tapes from Belfort's conversations when he was wired or being bugged. Fascinating and head shaking stuff.

Jersey Boss
01-13-2014, 02:14 PM
Brian,
I liked the movie but thought it came in 15-30 minutes to long. As far as the " glorification of drugs and all the blatant nudity and sex". Was the movie factually based on what you have read in the trial boxes or was it embellished? I went in knowing it was rated R so I had no surprises. If the movie was true to the story I would have been more upset with a whitewashed sanitized version just to appeal to a wider swath who have frail sensibilities. If the movie however is embellished and the drug usage and carnal cavorting did not occur or not that part of the story, then yes it was over the top.

PS, You might request the thread be moved to the entertainment section for more comments.

BBatesokc
01-13-2014, 02:29 PM
From what I've read (and been told by the local attorney who represented the two defendants) the story is spot on if not a bit conservative on some instances.

Virtually every memorable scene in the movie is detailed in either court transcripts or FBI 302's.

Remember the scene where he has the car incident from the country club (trying not to give any spoilers)? That scene was very real. Only difference, he had a passenger with him when it happened.

The yacht scene? In reality the captain was VERY adamant that they not try and navigate through the storm but was ordered to do so by a very intoxicated and high Belfort.

The scene where his bond was revoked? The note had little to do with it. Instead in reality (not shown in the movie), he cut off his ankle monitor and took several thousand dollars and a chartered plane (or helicopter, I can't remember) and went to Atlantic City to gamble and blow off some stem.

One of the companies they pumped and dumped (that wasn't even a company at all) was called Liconn. They came up with the name because they had to "Lie" and "Con" to get people's money. That didn't make it into the movie but was a reality.

They actually cut the movie down (and back up) several times trying to get an R rating instead of the kiss of death NC-17.

Diesel54
01-13-2014, 04:28 PM
I loved the movie and am happy to hear that it was grounded in reality, as hard as that is to believe. Before seeing it I knew nothing about Jordan Belfort so I assumed the only accurate thing was his name, which I was ok with. The original cut was 4 hours so maybe Liconn was actually in it but just didn't make the cut.

I saw this a couple days after seeing American Hustle and the difference in overall plot for me was night and day.

OKCRT
01-13-2014, 04:45 PM
This one is on my must see list. I think I heard that this movie set the record for the number of F-Bombs dropped in a movie.

Plutonic Panda
04-10-2014, 04:58 PM
Lawsuit Claims 'Wolf of Wall Street' Financed With Embezzled Money (Exclusive)

https://movies.yahoo.com/news/lawsuit-claims-wolf-wall-street-financed-embezzled-money-050000945.html

--------

will probably go nowhere

poe
04-10-2014, 05:34 PM
I've enjoyed the movie. It did seem a little long, but it was quite a story to tell. The company I work for has large ties to Wall Street and the securities industry, which was my main reason behind seeing it. If you're ever interested in seeing Jordan Belfort's actual FINRA record, just Google "FINRA BrokerCheck", follow the links, and do a search using his name. The disclosure events listed would give any filmmaker a good starting point for a blockbuster.