View Full Version : Crosstown Expressway project gets $110 million

Pete
07-29-2005, 08:09 AM
Highway Bill passes with $110 million more for I-40 (http://www.okcbusiness.com/news/news_view.asp?newsid=5693&catid=10&volid=9&issid=68&PgStartNum=)

Istook says state now needs to get on board

The I-40 Crosstown Expressway project may have taken a big step forward today with the announcement from Oklahoma's congressional delegation's offices that the project would receive an additional $110 million in the highway reauthorization bill.

Sen. Jim Inhofe (R-Tulsa) chairs the Senate committee which penned approved that chamber's reauthorization bill.

Yet U.S. Rep. Ernest Istook (R-Warr Acres) said while today's news is good, it also makes it more critical for the state to commit dollars to the project, which was estimated last year at $360 million.

"This is great news," said Istook. "The Crosstown Expressway is critical to the continued revitalization of downtown Oklahoma City. It's a vital artery for our state and city as well as for the entire federal highway system."

He added: "We should all applaud Sen. Inhofe's work in improving Oklahoma's share of national highway funding, and helping to add further federal funds for the I-40 Crosstown Expressway expansion and realignment. This also means it's time for the state now to help with their share of this crucial project, because the project will be delayed if they don't help."

Since 1998, the Oklahoma Congressional delegation has procured $290 million total in federal money for the realignment, which is estimated to represent 92 percent of the total cost of cost.

As reported previously in OKCBusiness News, the cost for the realignment is being projected at around $315-million, while a separate $45 million is thought to be needed to construct at grade-level a local boulevard where I-40 is currently located. However, some local officials have suggested that $45 million may be too low of an estimate for the scope of the work being envisioned for the boulevard.

Last week, the City of Oklahoma City committed some funds for the boulevard project but, to date, the state of Oklahoma has committed nothing to it nor to the realignment. As well and also as reported by OKCBusiness News, the state Department of Transportation has never requested funding for the project in its budget requests to the state Legislature.

"Everybody keeps saying this is Oklahoma's most important project, but not everybody has been willing to help with it," Istook said today. "I've reminded the governor many times about the need for the state to help. He said he wanted to wait until we passed the new highway bill. Now we've passed it, so it's time for action by the state to complement the heavy lifting we've done in Washington," said Istook.

He added the average state/local contribution for federally funded projects of the I-40 realignment's size is 39 percent and thus state officials should be more than pleased with what their congressional delegation had accomplished.

"It's time for the state to accept responsibility to help this important project to become a reality," Istook concluded."

PUGalicious
07-29-2005, 08:33 AM
It was the crosstown project that came to mind when the governor and legislature were mulling what to do with the budget surplus this year. While a tax refund is "nice" (until you really think about how little is and the cost of the distribution of such refunds), I thought that it might be nice to commit such a surplus to specific projects, like the crosstown project. If our roads and bridges are in such disrepair and some are discussing a gas tax rate hike to cover that, why wouldn't they apply budget surplus to such projects. Does it make sense to give back a nominal refund with one hand and then ask for more money (tax hike that costs much more than the refund) with the other hand.

It was simply a political move for all involved looking toward the upcoming election season.

I think Oklahoma has gained enough pork from our congressmen. It's now time to pony up our part. I for one would give up my refund to contribute to the cause.

Patrick
07-29-2005, 09:44 AM
I can hear Tulsans complaining now. Why should the tax surplus go towards the I-40 Crosstown and not a project in Tulsa. I'll admit, for years now Tulsa has been placed on the back burner. A lot of it has to do with the location of the capitol in OKC, and legislators being pro-OKC. I think if the state contributes $60 million towards the Crosstown they need to equally contribute that much to roads in Tulsa.

Regardless, I applaud our congressmen for raising $290 million. We're close to geting the Crosstown paid for.

PUGalicious
07-29-2005, 09:58 AM
But the Tulsans are always complaining, so I've learned to ignore them. Just listen to their talk radio and you'll be amused by the whining. (I used to live in the area and my sister still does.)

The difference is that I-40 is the major east-west interstate in the country. It's not just an Oklahoma City road. If you compare the traffic on that road to the traffic on Tulsa's interstate roads, anyone can plainly see why these funds should be going to the crosstown.

Additionally, Oklahoma City has proven that it's willing to put its money where its mouth is when it comes to reinvesting in the city's future. Tulsa is not having the same success in getting its own citizenry on board. Their city council can't even get along.

I too applaud our congressional delegation for making sure we get a major piece of the pork. But I'd like the Oklahoma legislature be more concerned about the realities of our bridge and road needs than they are about politics.

Patrick
07-29-2005, 10:00 AM
I can see your point, but to some extent and I can see Tulsa's as well. What if we were surrounded on both sides by toll roads? The only major way in and out of Tulsa is via a toll road. You can only imagine the impact that has on business there.

mranderson
07-29-2005, 10:10 AM
Why not REALLY do it "right." I-35 through Oklahoma City, I-44, I-40, I-235, I-240, Highway three... ALL turnpikes. You want to drive through Oklahoma City? Pay me, pal!:fighting2 :fighting3

BDP
07-29-2005, 10:53 AM
Why not REALLY do it "right." I-35 through Oklahoma City, I-44, I-40, I-235, I-240, Highway three... ALL turnpikes. You want to drive through Oklahoma City? Pay me, pal!

Because the money lost by people avoiding the city and its turnpikes probably wouldn't be made up by the toll. I'll give you the spurs maybe, 235, 240, etc. But the major interstates should stay free to maintian OK as a vital trade route.

Then again, maybe making them pay for freeway access will make them get off... ??

brianinok
07-29-2005, 11:21 AM
Tulsa should not get as much as OKC does for roads for one very important fact: they are not as big as OKC. They should only get about 70% of what OKC does. This does not take into account OKC has 3 interstates, and Tulsa only has 1. Maybe Tulsa should only get 33% of what OKC does?

okcpulse
07-29-2005, 11:37 AM
Tulsa is surrounded by turnpikes, however, district leaders in that part of the state put Tulsa in that situation back in the 1960's and 1970's, instead of pushing for more funding for free interstates. Tulsa area leaders, requested the turnpikes. I still feel Tulsa and Oklahoma City should band together to make I-44 a free interstate, but I have serious doubts that will come to fruition.

That being said, I applaud our representatives for getting the funding needed to complete this project, and now we will have to wait and see what the state will do, and what Gov. Brad Henry has planned.

mranderson
07-29-2005, 11:41 AM
Because the money lost by people avoiding the city and its turnpikes probably wouldn't be made up by the toll. I'll give you the spurs maybe, 235, 240, etc. But the major interstates should stay free to maintian OK as a vital trade route.

Then again, maybe making them pay for freeway access will make them get off... ??

That was a sarcastic retorical remark, not a question.

PUGalicious
07-29-2005, 11:46 AM
I can see your point, but to some extent and I can see Tulsa's as well. What if we were surrounded on both sides by toll roads? The only major way in and out of Tulsa is via a toll road. You can only imagine the impact that has on business there.

And that would be a legitimate gripe if that's what I heard them gripe about. Both of our state's U.S. senators call the Tulsa area home. Our previous governor was a Tulsan. It's not like Tulsa hasn't had their own in influential positions. If it was a real problem for them — especially when it comes to business — I firmly believe it would have been more seriously addressed by this point.

Personally, I don't agree with the idea of making any interstates toll roads. Do you think Wichita's business has suffered since its major artery is a toll road on either side?

In any case, every since moving to Oklahoma, I've observed Tulsa as being the "other" child that wants to do its own thing until it thinks it's getting left out somehow. "Not fair, not fair" seems to be the city's battlecry.

I think the importance of I-40 was demonstrated when that bridge near Gore collapsed and it was repaired in 90 days. When have you ever seen road work done that quickly? I-40 is a critical artery for our state. Consequently, the Crosstown Expressway project needs to be completed as soon as possible before that whole stretch collapses!

BDP
07-29-2005, 01:49 PM
That was a sarcastic rhetorical remark, not a question.

:) Now you've done it to me. We need a 'facetiousness' emoticon. (maybe that's what yours were)

In any event, sorry about that.

In_Tulsa
07-29-2005, 09:06 PM
Tulsa has two interstates I-44 in midtown And Interstate 244 on the north side.

PUGalicious
07-30-2005, 04:52 PM
Tulsa has two interstates I-44 in midtown And Interstate 244 on the north side.

I-44 is the only primary interstate in Tulsa. 244 is a spur (or loop) highway that's confined to the Tulsa metro area.

If you include the three-digit spur (or loop) interstates, Oklahoma City has five interstates. I-35 and I-40 are major national arteries, both running the length of the country — one from north to south and the other from east to west. I-44 runs from St. Louis, Missouri, to just south of the Oklahoma border, ending in Wichita Falls, TX. I-240 and I-235 are spur (or loop) interstates within the OKC metro.

venture
07-31-2005, 12:01 AM
Include all 3-digit interstates...Tulsa acturally has 3. ;) I-444 is an unmarked interstate that runs along with US75 from 244 to Highway 51. Just some useless trivia information to puzzle someone with down the road. LOL

http://www.interstate-guide.com/i-444_ok.html

PUGalicious
07-31-2005, 06:45 AM
Include all 3-digit interstates...Tulsa acturally has 3. ;) I-444 is an unmarked interstate that runs along with US75 from 244 to Highway 51. Just some useless trivia information to puzzle someone with down the road. LOL

http://www.interstate-guide.com/i-444_ok.html

I stand corrected. Even after living there, I did not know that.

In any case, if you take out the 3-digit interstates, Tulsa only has one primary interstate. Oklahoma City has three. It should come as no surprise then that Oklahoma City should receive more federal and state funding for highways than Tulsa. If Tulsa feels it's been shortchanged, it can take it up with our U.S. Senators, both of whom call the Tulsa area home.

My ultimate point within this thread was that the budget surplus could have been better utilized; rather than giving refunds, the state legislature could have directed those monies toward roads and bridges — specifically toward the state's obligation for its portion of the Crosstown Expressway project. The federal government has done its part, it's now time for the state to pony up its portion.

HOT ROD
08-01-2005, 10:00 AM

Actually, isnt Tulsa getting some money for their I-44 as part of the funding?

Pete
08-01-2005, 01:28 PM
Yes, Tulsa is getting similar funds from the same source for I-44 widening.

HOT ROD
08-01-2005, 11:29 PM
Yes, Tulsa is getting similar funds from the same source for I-44 widening.

That's what I thought.

So, No More Whining!!!

In_Tulsa
08-02-2005, 06:58 AM
Who's Whining?

Pete
08-02-2005, 11:00 AM
Construction ramps up for I-40 downtown
by Janice Francis-Smith
The Journal Record
8/2/2005

Construction on the Interstate 40 Crosstown realignment in Oklahoma City could begin in less than two months.

On Monday, the Oklahoma Department of Transportation awarded a $6.8 million contract for the first phase of construction on the Crosstown project to Muskogee Bridge Co. What's more, the federal transportation bill approved by Congress on Friday includes $120 million for the Crosstown project.

"Certainly this is a great day for us," said ODOT Director Gary Ridley. "This starts the process that we really started some 10 years ago."

Muskogee Bridge Co., which Ridley said has done quality work for the department in the past, will build two interstate bridges and a railroad bridge toward the eastern end of the new corridor, which when completed will extend about 4.5 miles from the I-35/I-235/I-40 interchange on the east to just west of May Avenue.

Ridley said a work order may be issued within the next 45 days for Muskogee Bridge Co. to get started on the bridges, which will provide a passageway under the new interstate near Byers Avenue. Travelers will not be affected, as the current route of the Crosstown will remain intact until after the new alignment is completed, said Ridley.

The total cost for the Crosstown is estimated at $360 million. The project had already been designated $180 million in federal funds, plus about $4.5 million from the City of Oklahoma City. The new federal transportation funding bill, which awaits President George W. Bush's signature, would provide another $120 million for the Crosstown project.

The bill would also provide an additional $120 million for a project to widen I-44 in Tulsa.

Ridley thanked the members of Oklahoma's congressional delegation, particularly U.S. Sens. James Inhofe and Tom Coburn and U.S. Rep. Ernest Istook, for their work "in helping us get enough money and bring Oklahoma dollars back to Oklahoma."

Inhofe, who serves as chairman of the Senate Environment and Public Works Committee, said the bill will not only pay for needed transportation improvements, but will also generate jobs.

"After including our state's projects, Oklahoma will have a rate of return in excess of 102 percent - meaning that for every dollar Oklahoma contributes to the highway trust fund, we will receive over a dollar in federal highway funding in return," said Inhofe.

While praising the passage of the transportation bill, Istook took the opportunity to once again remind Gov. Brad Henry that the state has yet to contribute funds to the Crosstown project.

"The Crosstown Expressway is critical to the continued revitalization of downtown Oklahoma City," said Istook. "It's a vital artery for our state and city as well as for the entire federal highway system. … I've reminded the governor many times about the need for the state to help. He said he wanted to wait until we passed the new highway bill. Now we've passed it, so it's time for action by the state to complement the heavy lifting we've done in Washington. … So far, the state hasn't committed one single penny. It's time for the state to accept responsibility to help this important project to become a reality."

Patrick
08-02-2005, 12:15 PM
The highway bridges and railroad bridge will allow the canal to be extended to meet Zone G, which spills into the river. Although the two segments won't join, at least you'll be able to walk from segment to segment and the canal will better link with the river. This should jump start development that direction and help the planned boat service on the Oklahoma River.

boat49
08-02-2005, 12:16 PM
Having read about this for years, I just want to see it completed in my lifetime!!!

Patrick
08-02-2005, 12:22 PM
"Agency awards first contract for I-40 expressway project

By Michael McNutt
The Oklahoman

Construction will start before the end of the year on the most expensive highway project in state history — the new Interstate 40 Crosstown Expressway.

The Oklahoma Transportation Commission awarded the first contract on the four-mile reconstruction project Monday. The total cost to relocate Oklahoma City’s expressway about five blocks south is estimated at $360 million and is expected to take three years.

Transportation commissioners awarded a $6.8 million contract to Muskogee Bridge Co. Inc.

The project will build the Crosstown bridge spanning the future Bricktown Canal extension downtown.

The contract amount is slightly higher than the state’s estimated $6.6 million.

It should take about a year to complete the bridge project, which will consist of two, five-lane bridges for I-40 motorists and a bridge that could accommodate two sets of Union Pacific Railroad tracks, said John Bowman, Crosstown project development engineer.

‘We’re glad to be the first’

Mike Webb, president of Muskogee Bridge, said work on the bridge project will start as soon as utilities in the area can be relocated.

“We’re glad to be the first one to the scene,” he said.

The bridges will be built on the new Crosstown’s east end near Byers Avenue and will provide a Bricktown Canal passageway under the new interstate. Transportation Department officials chose to begin construction there to expedite Oklahoma City’s expansion efforts to its canal system.

“We’re going to build the bridges ... basically on dry land, and after those bridges are constructed the canal gets cut through,” Webb said. “The railroad bridge and the two main line bridges end up being one structure. It’s 87 feet long, a pretty short bridge, but it’s 230 feet wide.

“All of it is going to have brick masonry and cobblestone that matches all of Bricktown,” he said. “It’s going to really be a beautiful structure when it’s done because it all ties into Bricktown.”

The bridge project and future construction will not affect traffic on the I-40 Crosstown Expressway, transportation officials said.

More contracts will be awarded during the next several months.

“We should see projects back to back to back,” Transportation Department Director Gary Ridley said. “There’s no hesitation on our part in designing, building and letting projects.

“If everything goes well, ... I would certainly like to see the completion and turn traffic in September 2008,” he said.

After the new Crosstown Expressway is built, work then would start on turning the existing Crosstown into a boulevard, he said.

The Crosstown project received $130 million in a long-term highway bill approved by Congress last week.

Ridley said it appears the state Transportation Department will be about $45 million short of the funds necessary to com´ plete it. Nearly all the money has come from targeted federal funds, except for $4.5 million recently pledged by Oklahoma City.

It will take transportation officials three to four weeks to review the federal funding package “to actually see how many dollars we have,” Ridley said. “Then it’s imperative for us at the state level, along with the city of Oklahoma City, to sit down at the table and figure out what we do from here, how do we get to the shore from here.”"

jbrown84
08-02-2005, 06:49 PM
Good to see that it won't be an ugly concrete bridge. I was afraid of that. Does anybody know what's being done as far as lighting/natural light under there? We don't want this to be a place that people are afraid to go at night.