View Full Version : Just moved downtown... so far, so good.

benjenn
01-07-2014, 02:06 PM
Hubby and I just downsized and moved from Edmond to Block 42 in downtown OKC. We hope to "honeymoon" downtown for about 4 1/2 years until we can retired (early) and move to the beach! I've started a blog about our downtown downsizing experiences in hopes of inspiring others to take the leap. :) We're excited to be part of downtown OKC!

What a fun downtown weekend! Downtown Downsizing: What a fun downtown weekend! (http://bit.ly/1iOMyKh)

AP
01-07-2014, 02:25 PM
Love the blog, and welcome to downtown!

Pete
01-07-2014, 02:35 PM
I bet you'll find you have much more free time without having to worry about maintaining a huge house and yard and everything related to that. Not to mention, spending much less time in the car.

Look forward to following your adventures!

betts
01-07-2014, 02:41 PM
Bourbon St. is still there. It's one level below. Are you going to the Urban Neighbors social on Thursday at KDs?

benjenn
01-07-2014, 03:18 PM
Ah, I didn't realize that about Bourbon Street. Now I know. Thanks. We have been to a couple of Urban Neighbors functions already (before we moved actually) and I'm sure we'll try to go to the one this week, too. I hadn't heard about it yet but I knew they were the second Thursdays of the month. We've already met some great people and we're excited to meet more. Hope to see you there!

And we are loving having fewer responsibilities, Pete, and hubby is saving about 30 minutes a day drive time so we're saving on gas, too! :) Win win win win win.

BBatesokc
01-07-2014, 03:25 PM
If downtown is your thing, then you'll probably love it! We have friends living in several properties in the Deep Deuce area and they certainly like it. Some have been there a couple of years now and admit the 'honeymoon phase' is probably over, but they still enjoy the downtown living - its just not 'new' anymore and they've been to all the cool places over and over - so they tend to stay at home more and dread the drive to get their shopping done. But they love the proximity to their downtown jobs.

We tried to do the downtown thing but never could find housing we thought was a good price for our lifestyle.

Good luck - and l like the blog.

benjenn
01-07-2014, 04:12 PM
I've found a Crest Foods on Reno and Air Depot that works great for me as a grocery store and takes only 9 minutes to get there. It used to take me 15 minutes to get to the Crest in Edmond when I lived there (and it was closer, too, just more Edmond traffic!). I think the honeymoon part of it will include relaxing at home at the condo, too, not just being out and about downtown all the time. We're going to especially enjoy having so much less responsibility as far as taking care of a house/yard goes. I realize it's not for everyone but I've had more people tell me they're jealous and they wish they could do it than not. Plus, whenever we can make a run to the beach (Gulf Shores, AL), all we'll do is lock the door and go... no worries.

Urbanized
01-07-2014, 05:34 PM
I bet you'll find you have much more free time without having to worry about maintaining a huge house and yard and everything related to that. Not to mention, spending much less time in the car.

Look forward to following your adventures!

I used to love my house in Gatewood, but the corner lot meant I had to spend a half-day every Saturday mowing the lawn. Twice a week during peak Bermuda-growing season. Raked leaves all fall. And on, and on...

Since moving downtown proper:

Haven't mowed a lawn in almost 9 years.
Haven't raked a single leaf
Put less than 10K per year on a vehicle
My commute is less than 5 minutes
Can easily get a cab if I need one
I can walk to work if I want
Ditto Thunder games
I see people I know every day, and get to wave at them and say hi and stuff

Seriously, it has more in common with small town living than most people want to believe. I walk to the barber, the store, the pharmacy, the doctor. I walk to lunch, and to dinner. The options for each are amazing. I see tons of people I know every day, and feel more socially connected than I ever have living anywhere else. I can't recommend it enough. Welcome to the neighborhood.

benjenn
01-07-2014, 05:48 PM
We can't walk to work (hubby is south of Tinker and I'm near the Cowboy Hall of Fame) but we're so looking forward to everything else you mentioned. We've been here almost a month now and we're loving it! :)

adaniel
01-07-2014, 05:53 PM
I've found a Crest Foods on Reno and Air Depot that works great for me as a grocery store and takes only 9 minutes to get there. It used to take me 15 minutes to get to the Crest in Edmond when I lived there (and it was closer, too, just more Edmond traffic!). I think the honeymoon part of it will include relaxing at home at the condo, too, not just being out and about downtown all the time. We're going to especially enjoy having so much less responsibility as far as taking care of a house/yard goes. I realize it's not for everyone but I've had more people tell me they're jealous and they wish they could do it than not. Plus, whenever we can make a run to the beach (Gulf Shores, AL), all we'll do is lock the door and go... no worries.

This is the best part of living in a condo. If you have young children that like to play in the yard or you're a big gardener then the maintenance is worth it. But if not, there's plenty of things you can do with your time. In the spring when the grass (and weeds) start growing wildly in the nice weather, I can go out to Myriad Gardens, Lake Hefner, or just a walk while my friends slave away in their lawns. Like you, I'm a bit of a random traveler and if I am feeling the need to leave, I can just set it and forget it not "ugh can't do that cause I gotta mow my half acre this weekend".

It would be nice if we had more options for townhouses or condos in this city. DT is great but very pricey, while the handful of ones outside of the DT area are outdated and in not so great areas. I'm content with renting until something comes along.

As far as the store thing is concerned, I find that living in midtown for 3.5 years now it is really not as a big deal as some people make it out to be. The main thing is make sure you have a list and get everything you need while out in one trip. If you absolutely must have something, there is a Homeland off of 18th and Classen that is *okay* and CVS and Walgreens on 23rd and Classen. There's also Native Roots for fresh meats and veggies as well.

One tip: I am assuming that Block 42 has detached parking. You will want some sort of container to put your grocery bags in when you are lugging things back and forth from your car. A laundry basket works for me, but Amazon and Bed Bath and Beyond sells personal sized shopping baskets that have wheels. Its not a big deal now, but when you are making 3 or 4 trips to you car to unload groceries in August when its 110 out, you'll be glad you had something.

Pete
01-07-2014, 05:54 PM
I used to love my house in Gatewood, but the corner lot meant I had to spend a half-day every Saturday mowing the lawn. Twice a week during peak Bermuda-growing season. Raked leaves all fall. And on, and on...

Since moving downtown proper:

Urbanized, where do you live downtown?

CarlessInOKC
01-07-2014, 06:31 PM
Welcome to downtown! Check out the blog my wife and I started if you want to see our adventures in downtown of the past few months Carless in OKC (http://carlessinokc.blogspot.com/). I'll be keeping up with your blog. It's nice to see people from all different generations moving here!

Jeepnokc
01-07-2014, 08:41 PM
Plus, whenever we can make a run to the beach (Gulf Shores, AL), all we'll do is lock the door and go... no worries.

Sorry to go off topic but in Gulf Shores, do you ever go to LuLu's? Brent Burns is local musician and plays there every Monday night. Should catch him next time you are down there if you like trop rock music.

Urbanized
01-07-2014, 11:07 PM
Urbanized, where do you live downtown?

I'm actually east edge of HH at The Aberdeen. Urban Neighbors would tell you I'm not downtown.

MWCGuy
01-08-2014, 02:13 AM

There is a larger Crest just a mile east just North of Reno on Douglas. I would not be surprised if Crest or Buy For Less/Uptown Grocery does not build something down there in due time. I think they are waiting for the population to grow a little before they do it. Personally, I think one of them should go ahead and do it. I think they would likely attract people living in the Midtown, Healthcenter and 235 corridor areas. My wife and I live in Midwest City and we love it here. We use the Reno Crest as are quick stop shopping and the Douglas Crest for our big trips to the grocery store.

benjenn
01-08-2014, 06:58 AM
Thanks for all the great tips! That's one thing we've learned already - the people who live in/near downtown are all so friendly and want to help us settle in. Like Urbanized said, it almost feels like a small town. We've only met a few people in our building so far but they've all been great and everyone we've met through Urban Neighbors has been so welcoming. I'm excited to hear there's a bigger Crest nearby, MWCGuy! I'll definitely give that a try. It really isn't that far to go for groceries. I always hit Sprouts and Whole Foods, too. With so many other conveniences with being downtown, I think I can handle a longer trip to the grocery store when I only do that once a week or so.

Jeepnokc, yes, we usually go by Lulu's while we're in Gulf Shores. It's a pretty cool place. I don't think we've heard Brent Burns before but we'll definitely try to check him out. We've got a place down there so we go as often as we can. Thanks!

benjenn
01-08-2014, 08:17 AM
One tip: I am assuming that Block 42 has detached parking. You will want some sort of container to put your grocery bags in when you are lugging things back and forth from your car. A laundry basket works for me, but Amazon and Bed Bath and Beyond sells personal sized shopping baskets that have wheels. Its not a big deal now, but when you are making 3 or 4 trips to you car to unload groceries in August when its 110 out, you'll be glad you had something.

We thought of that ahead of time and ordered this really great cart from Amazon. Amazon.com - Folding Shopping Cart - Versacart Utility Cart - Transport Up To 120 Pounds (Water-Resistant Heavy Duty Nylon Canvas) - Kitchen Storage Carts (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LPFUG8/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

It holds a whole week's supply of groceries for us and folds up like a stroller when not in use. I just leave in the car. I've used it to carry up boxes, groceries, all kinds of things. I don't think I've ever had to make two trips! Highly recommend them.

benjenn
01-08-2014, 03:29 PM
Welcome to downtown! Check out the blog my wife and I started if you want to see our adventures in downtown of the past few months Carless in OKC (http://carlessinokc.blogspot.com/). I'll be keeping up with your blog. It's nice to see people from all different generations moving here!

We had a 100% electric Nissan Leaf for about a year and a half. LOVED it. Traded it in on Prius so we could drive it to the beach - the Leaf would only go 80-100 miles on a charge so that wouldn't work. It wasn't quite being carless but close! Our license tag said "YBUYGAS" :)

benjenn
02-01-2014, 06:56 AM
Here's the latest post... Downtown Downsizing: Living well with less (http://downtowndownsizing.blogspot.com/2014/01/living-well-with-less.html)

betts
02-01-2014, 08:34 AM
Wow, your garage makes me blush when I think of ours. You've inspired me to resolve to start getting rid of stuff the next warm days I'm off work.

benjenn
02-01-2014, 09:25 AM
Do it! I promise you'll be amazed at how much better you'll feel when you're not tied down with so much stuff. Our garage was always that organized because that's just how my husband is... but now that we've gotten rid of so much stuff, it's even easier to be organized. We just can't get over how good it feels to have less. :)

Dennis Heaton
02-02-2014, 08:51 AM
Really enjoyed the Blogs mentioned above. If I stay in OKC, I might move downtown (lived downtown San Diego for a few years as a youngster) sometime around 2017. I am leaning towards returning to the South Carolina or Coos Bay, Oregon. I really miss the Coast and Mountains.

benjenn
02-02-2014, 09:16 AM
Really enjoyed the Blogs mentioned above. If I stay in OKC, I might move downtown (lived downtown San Diego for a few years as a youngster) sometime around 2017. I am leaning towards returning to the South Carolina or Coos Bay, Oregon. I really miss the Coast and Mountains.

What part of the city are you living in now? I can understand missing the coast and the mountains but Oklahoma really does have some wonderful people. Glad you enjoyed the blog posts. I've had a lot of people tell me I'm inspiring them to at least get their stuff organized if not completely downsize. We are really loving living downtown and can't wait for this spring when we can get out and about whenever we want. :)

Dennis Heaton
02-02-2014, 09:38 AM
benjenn...I live in far NW OKC. And, I wholeheartedly agree with you...there are some wonderful people in Oklahoma. I would even go as far as to say there are a few nice folks on here (love the sense of humor and insights of some of the folks that frequent OKC Talk). My best friend on this side of life is from Oklahoma (he now lives in Dallas, Oregon), and my Step-Father was from Broken Bow. I was headed to Oregon (from South Carolina) in 1999, when I got two flat tires this side of Shawnee and decided then I would give OKC a try. As an Air Force Retiree, OKC is comfortably affordable.

I really try NOT to look too far ahead because all I really have is today...BUT, I am ready for a change in scenery.

benjenn
02-02-2014, 11:28 AM
My husband is retired from the Air Force, too. :) I was born and raised here but never expected to live (or WANT to live) downtown. I grew up on the NW side of town... lived in Bethany... then near Wilshire & County Line before we moved to Edmond a few years ago. Now we're downtown for awhile until we can both retire in a few years and move to the beach in Alabama. :)

benjenn
02-23-2014, 09:03 AM
Two months in... and feeling good. Downtown Downsizing: Two months in... and feeling good. (http://bit.ly/MQDp6X)

betts
02-23-2014, 05:49 PM
I was one of the people at the movies with you and at Shelley's afterwards. I didn't figure out who you were until going home that night. Jill here.

Pete
02-23-2014, 06:13 PM
Enjoyed the update, as always.

I especially like the part about more free time due to no yard work, less house to keep up, etc.

I had lived in a apartment/condo for 12 years and I was ready for a yard and dogs. Now, after 12 years in my house, I am fantasizing about downsizing and no longer being a slave to my home. I love home improvement and yard work but it's crazy the amount of time and energy I put into all that.

Because I haven't moved for a long time and I have a 3 bed home with a large garage and two huge attics (plus an outside storage shed) I suddenly realized I had accumulated absolutely tons of stuff. The whole idea of just dealing with that in terms of moving anywhere else made my stomach hurt, so about a month ago I started a major purge. Selling, donating and trashing loads and loads of stuff. The more I do, the more I find... Often things I didn't even know I had, never used or had completely forgotten about. Ridiculous!

I already feel much better just clearing out about half of what I have targeted. And after I'm completely done, I'm going to take another pass and keep going until I get a LOT more streamlined.

One of my favorite sayings: "That which you hold, holds you in return".

benjenn
02-24-2014, 01:19 PM
Pete,

Wow, that's awesome! I know for a fact how much better, lighter and freer you're going to feel getting rid of so much stuff. I hadn't lived in an apartment in 30 years and wasn't sure how it was going to be but we LOVE our downtown condo and now we can't even imagine going back to a house. My husband is quite the perfectionist and was constantly doing something that needed to be done somewhere in the house or the garage or the yard. No more. It's been great. And we are completely enthralled with downtown OKC and all it has to offer and all the great people who live here. :) I really do think it's going to just keep getting better.

Good luck to you as you go through your cleaning out process. I know it's overwhelming at times but you'll get to a point and be able to look back and smile. :)

benjenn
02-24-2014, 01:30 PM
I was one of the people at the movies with you and at Shelley's afterwards. I didn't figure out who you were until going home that night. Jill here.

Hey, Jill! Happy you recognized me and that you're reading my little blog. :) I've had so many people ask me about downsizing and how they could possibly do it, I figured keeping a blog on our adventures would be the easiest way to tell them about our experiences. It was great to meet you at Shelley's and I hope we cross paths again. Bet we will. Hope you have a great week! Jennifer

Jeepnokc
02-25-2014, 11:05 PM
Enjoy reading your blog and as usual, great update and grandbaby is a cutie pie.

benjenn
04-06-2014, 01:24 PM
Latest update... Downtown Downsizing: Loving Living Downtown! (http://bit.ly/1jRPKnK)

benjenn
05-04-2014, 05:28 PM
Living downtown just keeps getting better. I am so glad we did this... wish we'd done it sooner. Leaving Facebook... (http://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fdowntowndownsizing.blogspot.c om%2F2014%2F05%2Ftake-two-love-living-downtown.html&h=8AQF9Qzuu&s=1)

benjenn
05-25-2014, 07:12 AM
Downtown Downsizing (http://bit.ly/Jb7Him)

Dennis Heaton
05-26-2014, 09:45 AM
I thought of y'all last week when I saw the segment on the local news about the "community garden." That's when I said to myself, "Whatever happened to...?" Enjoyed reading your update, "3 weeks - gone in a flash!"

benjenn
05-26-2014, 02:19 PM
Thanks, Dennis. You should go by and see the community garden in person -- it's amazing! :) Shelley did a great job on the interview on Channel 5. The bus tour last weekend was really well attended and there's obviously a lot of interest in it. I hope more of them will crop up. Much better than doing it all by yourself, that's for sure. :) Glad you're enjoying our adventures. :)