View Full Version : Pat Ryan will not seek reelection in 2015

warreng88
01-07-2014, 07:53 AM
Is this a good or a bad thing? What is his record for voting on MAPS projects? I know he voted for the streetcar route, but that is about all I know about him.

LakeEffect
01-07-2014, 08:02 AM
Pat is a fiscal hawk and a friendly guy. Give him a good analysis and he'd take the time to understand. He does tend to lean pro-sprawl, but that's entirely a reflection of this representing a sprawled out ward.

betts
01-07-2014, 08:04 AM
I know who I want to run for this seat, and he's a respected member of this forum. Fingers crossed here.

warreng88
01-07-2014, 08:15 AM
I know who I want to run for this seat, and he's a respected member of this forum. Fingers crossed here.

Edgar? :)

Roger S
01-07-2014, 08:30 AM

Sorry Betts.... I'm staying out of politics. :wink:

Midtowner
01-07-2014, 12:56 PM
Is this a good or a bad thing? What is his record for voting on MAPS projects? I know he voted for the streetcar route, but that is about all I know about him.

He's been pretty solid. I think that Ward will continue to elect a similar councilman.

OKCisOK4me
01-07-2014, 03:29 PM

As long as he isn't going to do it because God told him to then I'm cool with it...

Spartan
01-07-2014, 09:49 PM

AGREED. Do it man.

ljbab728
01-07-2014, 11:03 PM
At the age of 75, I'm not surprised that he made this decision.

catch22
01-08-2014, 12:37 AM
AGREED. Do it man.

Yep. He would do an outstanding job. I hope he does.

boitoirich
01-08-2014, 03:25 AM
I realized I'm still pretty new here, but is there some reason everyone is being coy about who this guy is?

betts
01-08-2014, 06:26 AM
In case he's not interested. I want it to be a low pressure decision.

kevinpate
01-08-2014, 06:26 AM
I'm uncertain who is being referenced myself. However if I wanted someone to subject himself or herself to running for public office, I'd personally not out them on my own without (a) a dang decent personal pitch on why the person should run (b) a commitment to help fund or an actual check and (c) the person's blessing to talk the prospect up publicly.

It's no light matter to step into that spotlight. No one should ever be pushed into it unwillingly.

Dennis Heaton
01-11-2014, 12:53 PM

Thank you! I am thinking about it.

catch22
01-11-2014, 10:56 PM
Oops someone else. The other well respected member. :)

Plutonic Panda
01-11-2014, 11:46 PM
Is it the person whom specializes in a certain field of the law, or perhaps representation and/or defending of such? If so, I think I know who it is.

Dennis Heaton
01-12-2014, 10:22 AM
Is it the person whom specializes in a certain field of the law, or perhaps representation and/or defending of such? If so, I think I know who it is.

IF it's who(m) I think you think it is...I do not believe he lives in Ward 8.

Anywho...I just hope Councilman Ryan's Staff stay on because they have done one heck of a job!!! However, we still need Metro Transit out here. We are the only zip code (73162) in the Metro without Bus service.

Midtowner
01-12-2014, 12:13 PM
Someone said said "well-respected," so obviously not me, but I really am wondering who y'all are talking about.

(If it was me, I live in Ward 1). As to bus service in our part of the city, I think we need to focus on having excellent service in our urban core before having mass transit to mostly suburban neighborhoods. Yes, we do have apartments and section 8 here and there which could really use some mass transit options, but if we're going to stick to the goal of serving the most possible people the best, wouldn't it be better to focus all of our energy on one area? That way, if folks are going to depend on mass transit, they could choose to live in an area served by it instead of moving out here to the sticks and hoping one day they'll get service.

betts
01-12-2014, 12:25 PM
It was not you because I know which ward you live in, but I would be very happy to see you run in your ward.

Urban Pioneer
01-12-2014, 12:36 PM
wrong quote

Urban Pioneer
01-12-2014, 12:37 PM
Oops someone else. The other well respected member. :)

That's hilarious.

Dennis Heaton
01-12-2014, 12:50 PM
Midtowner...I am in total agreement with you. I for one, like what's going on in and around Downtown OKC (having lived in Downtown San Francisco and San Diego). I am only asking for one Bus. Metro Transit has a Bus going out to Edmond, Norman and Quail Springs Mall. The closest Bus to this zip is the No. 8, which is approximately 3-4 miles away from where I live. It used to make a morning stop at Rockwell Plaza and the Wal-Mart on the NW Expressway & N. Council (I think). If Metro Transit would stop at that Wal-Mart, that would put the Bus within 1.13567 miles of my front door. I could live with that.

Dennis Heaton
01-12-2014, 02:55 PM
Sid...Thank ya, Sir! I will check that out.

Plutonic Panda
01-12-2014, 03:27 PM
IF it's who(m) I think you think it is...I do not believe he lives in Ward 8.

Anywho...I just hope Councilman Ryan's Staff stay on because they have done one heck of a job!!! However, we still need Metro Transit out here. We are the only zip code (73162) in the Metro without Bus service.

Someone said said "well-respected," so obviously not me, but I really am wondering who y'all are talking about.

(If it was me, I live in Ward 1). As to bus service in our part of the city, I think we need to focus on having excellent service in our urban core before having mass transit to mostly suburban neighborhoods. Yes, we do have apartments and section 8 here and there which could really use some mass transit options, but if we're going to stick to the goal of serving the most possible people the best, wouldn't it be better to focus all of our energy on one area? That way, if folks are going to depend on mass transit, they could choose to live in an area served by it instead of moving out here to the sticks and hoping one day they'll get service.then I was wrong. I have no clue who it is, but I wish them luck!

Dennis Heaton
01-12-2014, 03:33 PM
Thank you, Plutonic Panda. I don't have a dime left in my checking account, so I am gonna need all the luck I can get!

kevinpate
01-12-2014, 05:24 PM
Edmond bus is Edmond's transit system. Sooner Express (the bus to Norman) I'm not sure but the obvious reason for it the massive university.

Based on conversations with regular riders I've visited with in line and on the bus, many who clearly know each other well for multi-day ridership, I'd say the success of Sooner Express partnership between CART and Gometro is the number of state and federal workers who prefer to bus to the headache/expense of daily commute and parking.

Plutonic Panda
01-12-2014, 10:22 PM
Thank you, Plutonic Panda. I don't have a dime left in my checking account, so I am gonna need all the luck I can get!Well, if you run, I'll donate what I can. Won't be much, but it'll be something. Keep us updated and posted so we can support!

Urban Pioneer
01-12-2014, 11:42 PM
Fill us in Dennis. What is your platform and what are your aspirations?

Dennis Heaton
01-18-2014, 04:30 PM
Urban Pioneer...Sorry, I haven't been ignoring your question. The flu took me out of action this past Monday and I am just now getting up and about.

To answer your question...I can only say this, "If elected, I promise that no one living in Ward 8 will ever have to go a day without an RC Cola and Moonpie!"

CaptDave
01-19-2014, 02:09 AM
As a Ward 8 resident, I think we have been well served by Mr Ryan. He has been responsive to every inquiry I ever sent and even met with me a time or two to discuss a couple issues. Concerning MAPS, I have heard him say on several occasions, to paraphrase, "the people voted for it and it is our duty to build it to the best of our ability as promised." He has served with integrity and dignity. We have been fortunate to have him as our council representative and whomever is elected to replace him should continue his cooperative attitude with his peers on the council and listening to the voters.

ljbab728
11-21-2014, 11:30 PM
Another candidate for this seat. This article gives scant information about him or his views. Hopefully that will be forthcoming.

http://m.newsok.com/insurance-executive-to-seek-oklahoma-city-council-seat/article/5369134